As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

miscellaneous artistry

miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines,and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey all! Been meaning to make a thread here for ages but now I'm actually doing it!

I'll be fleshing out this OP in the near future but for the time being I have one piece in particular I'm looking for feedback on.

This is something I did for a class that I'm hoping to continue to work on and submit to a show.
(click for full size)

tumblr_m234u319i71qk2cmjo1_500.png

The concept is kinda complicated but I'm basically working with the idea of not being in control of one's body, paresthesia, dysfunction of the senses etc
I'm pretty happy with how this is going so far, I'm relatively inexperienced digitally and this is basically the first time digital painting has really clicked for me. I want to get the most out of this work and I'm open to any crits, but one thing I'm wanting is to find a way to really bring the viewer in and give the piece more immediacy. From talking to other people, I'm planning on fixing some anatomical issues with the legs and adding reflected light from the lights in the background, as well as toying with the idea of blurring/distorting/rotating/cropping the figure. I'm probably spending too much time typing so I'll let you guys have at it, thanks!

uc3ufTB.png
miscellaneousinsanity on

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Yay misc! TOLD you to make a thread! FINALLY.

This is a good start for one of your first digital paintings. There's a lot about it I like. But I'm really not a fan of the colour scheme you've got going. The main colours are washed out and muddy, and the contrast with the red is jarring and distasteful rather than interesting and dramatic. Is she meant to be a zombie?
    Also I'm having trouble with the perspective on the background. Moreover, it's not really conveying the mood you're hoping for, not as effectively as it could be - I think a better layout would be to either raise the camera higher, making her look more lost and isolated, or to lower it and get in closer, giving more of an impression of the chaos surrounding her.

tynic on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I think it's a good looking start, but yeah, listen to tynic.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I think, more than anything, when it comes to a piece like this, the atmosphere you present should be your top priority. If you're going for a muddy, low saturation color scheme, you really need to push that element, whether it be in a subtle manner or a strong one. I'm not saying everything should be high contrast dynamically, but I am saying that you need to find a way to draw in the viewer's attention else the audience gets bored by what's on canvas.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I've been busy with some other things but should have some progress to show later this week.
    (Here are some other things, by the way.)
    RwcjB.png
    3odNk.png
    J7ceR.png
    Color studies from different times of day, view from a porch. Composition isn't great because of time constraints, might do more with these later, might not.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Those are nice! If I squint the second two look pretty believable, which I think is the best metric for accuracy with that kind of thing. The lighting in the night one though is a little hard for me to understand.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Thanks! There was a light fixture overhead and directly behind me in the night scene, as well as an out-of-frame streetlight casting light on the bushes and telephone pole.
    (Also, can I note that I went through the archives of NTO recently and completely loved it?)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Wasn't able to tackle everything I wanted to, but here's what this looks like as of making my submission. Click for the huge version.
    VTyk6.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    oh right i have a thread here

drew my dad while he was watching raising arizona

tumblr_m5d63uGh1t1qk2cmjo1_500.png

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Do you guys like clouds? I like clouds.
    ujqtR.jpg

I have a slightly improved version of this somewhere but I'm not sure what I did with it.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Ah, here we go.
    6OsfF.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Aw yeah, I like those soft blue and yellows. I'd like to see more focus on the ship.

:bz: :bz: :bzz: