As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    So what kind of mission are players put on to in Shadowrun? Is it all corporate espionage all the time or is there more variety than that?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, like any PnP RPG, the rules and setting are basically a framework for whatever you want to do.

Corporate espionage is pretty typical, but there's also stuff like mercenary work, big robberies, assassinations, bodyguard work, gunrunning, stealing data, etc. etc. Like suggested earlier, you could even do stuff like work as a Doc Wagon team, which is normally an NPC unit designed to just help the player out of tight spots. Then you would end up doing all the stuff to rescue clients instead of the kind of stuff that requires getting rescued.

It's entirely up to the players and the person running the game; doing something like, say, running a team where you snag rare animals for zoos would be perfectly possible if that's what everyone wanted to do. Or swiping people to take their organs. Or working for the police. Or working as the police. Or working as a corporate counter-espionage team. There's no effective limit to what you can do if you want to do it, at least in the tabletop.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's why I was most excited about the level editor. To be able to publish adventures for this game is gonna be awesome. One of these days I need to download a good map editor that's easy/intuitive to use for the PnP game -- I swear that's my biggest failing, coming up with the scene dressing.

As for runs? One of my favorite plot points involves some rig off the coast of Africa. It's seemingly abandoned, a giant tube going straight down to the bottom of the ocean, sheer walls, REALLY deep. Rumor has it there are vampires down there that can't escape due to the sheer walls of the tube.. and someone is using it to dispose of bodies. Imagine the fun you could have sending players into that. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The way I've built a lot of maps is pretty straightforward: get GIMP, find overhead shots of scenery that reflects what you want, maybe cludge elements in/out by editing images on different layers, and then just overlay a scaled grid over the whole thing. Not too hard to put together fairly large maps that way, though it's not real pretty. But if the person running a game knows their business, professionally-done maps are entirely unnecessary to making for an intense experience. Most of the game is in the head, after all.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The way I've built a lot of maps is pretty straightforward: get GIMP, find overhead shots of scenery that reflects what you want, maybe cludge elements in/out by editing images on different layers, and then just overlay a scaled grid over the whole thing. Not too hard to put together fairly large maps that way, though it's not real pretty. But if the person running a game knows their business, professionally-done maps are entirely unnecessary to making for an intense experience. Most of the game is in the head, after all.
    I like using image captures of the Sprawl Sites book, myself. Sure, they are ugly, but it's cheesy old-school Shadowrun buildings at their finest. One of our "default" maps is an image capture from a Shadowrun adventure called "Typical Ambush Site". We use it every time we need a street corner, ambush or not. *grin* You can make awesome overhead maps by just screen capping Google Earth (especially cityscapes). It's depressingly easy to make a Sprawl map from that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Denver, hands down. Too much lore and action to overlook, there.

Chicago.

Discussion over.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing the game's going to be set in Seattle again? Not that I'm complaining; that's like the de facto setting for any good Shadowrun story, but I'm wondering if they'll actually be fleshing out more of the areas and landmarks of the city.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Chicago.

Discussion over.

Bugs. *shudder*
    So I'm guessing the game's going to be set in Seattle again? Not that I'm complaining; that's like the de facto setting for any good Shadowrun story, but I'm wondering if they'll actually be fleshing out more of the areas and landmarks of the city.

Yep. They talk about it on the Kickstarter page and in one of the videos.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So what kind of mission are players put on to in Shadowrun? Is it all corporate espionage all the time or is there more variety than that?
    Corporate Espionage is the name of the game, but in Shadowrun that covers a lot. Everything is corporate! The Mob, Yakuza, Triads, Dragons, Countries, the traditional Mega-Corporations, and then you have smaller corps that still own whole sections of cities. Some even own their own cities within cities like Renraku, who had an entirely indoor city built around several of Seattle's city blocks.

Even then, the nature of the game and the premade campaigns could send you anywhere. Some sent you out to Bug City (what's left of Chicago after they nuked FASA) to rescue people or tech from insect spirits (N-A-S-T-Y-! critters), or sent you out to gather valuable intel on some subject.

There's few variations on the mission structure, but it's always up to the GM what's coming next. But what kind of missions can you do in shadowrun? Every conceivable variant on espionage, noir, robbery, kill-for-hire, army-for-hire, hacking, theft, rescue, snatch, or whatever kind of crime you can think of.
    If you want a good idea of the kinds of missions you might be sent on, here's a handful of the movies that always screamed "this is a Shadowrun adventure!" when I saw them:
    Lucky Number Slevin
    Maltese Falcon (yeah, I was introduced to Shadowrun before Maltese Falcon, bad dedwrekka!)
    Smokin' Aces
    Oceans Eleven, original and remakes
    Snatch
    And, yeah, even the Dirty Dozen has a bit of Shadowrun flavor to it.
    Right now they're getting a few large areas of the city fleshed out as a whole, but they wont be able to flesh out the entire thing without more funding, hence why their new funding plan points out that the more they get the more Seattle will be fleshed out.

Also, when they wrote the original Shadowrun, they didn't live there, but they do now, and they're planning to add in a bunch of things they didn't know about the first go-around by not living there. Which is pretty much word for word from one of their update videos.

Chicago.

Discussion over.
    Since this will take place in the 2050s, there's a good chance any Chicago adventures will be before the initial Bug outbreak or Knight Errant's disaster which happened in 2055.

I would suggest Berlin for another city, or Tir Na Nog. I think Tokyo is built up as more of an eastern analog to Seattle in Shadowrun, so I'm not sure an accurate representation in the video game would be much more than "a new coat of paint".

NERPS! It's just that easy!

Dedwrekka on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Chicago.

Discussion over.

Chicago was Univeral Brotherhood territory until 2055. No one knew that the bugs were there until they threw up the wall.

Edit: If you look at their stretch goals, they are going to continue to flesh out more of Seattle until about the 750k mark. And trust me - with 4 dedicated sourcebooks to Seattle, to say nothing of the tons of adventures, novels, and the fact they actually live in the city now, I'm sure it'll be more fleshed out.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Shadowrun is returning, as a digital game, and the project is on Kickstarter. The really fantastic thing here is that Jordan Weisman, who created the Shadowrun world so many years ago, has regained the rights and is back at the helm.

But it's almost as great simply to see Shadowrun revived. A lot of you young whippersnappers in your 30s and 40s may just remember it as a great world that was around when you were getting into the hobby. You have no idea how off-the-walls ballsy it was, back in 1989, for a major release to mash up fantasy races and a cyberpunk world. Completely outrageous. And it worked, and it had a great run, and it went away, and now it's back. (Insert "cycles" joke for those already into Shadowrun. The rest of you, ignore that line.)

At any rate, I just supported at the $1,000 level, which means that in some back alley of the digital Seattle, you may meet an Evil Stevie character. You don't have to give that much, but if you ever enjoyed Shadowrun, you should go support it. And if you never heard of Shadowrun, do yourself a favor and check it out. It manages to give classic cyberpunk a really weird twist and still get the "feel" of the genre absolutely right. And now the creator has control of the game again, and that's worth supporting too.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular

I once ran a game where for the first third of the arc they were working playing double agents for a bartender friend while working for an acquaintance of his trying to recovered a missing 16 year old girl. The runners spent half their time sabotaging the efforts of another team to find the girl, and the other half the time covering their tracks so their "employer" would not discover they were the reason his highly priced runner team kept failing their missions. He eventually paid the players to take out his other team of runners due to incompetence.

The whole thing was a revenge plot between two former best friends. They had fought over a woman. She chose one of them. They had two daughters, and then she died. The father of course was distraught, his buddy however arranged an accident to have him murdered. Then as godfather to the children ended up having the oldest mindwiped to think she was her mother and married her. The youngest ran away from home and had been on the run for some time. Well turns out dad wasn't dead, just more metal than man, and had assumed his children were being well taken care of in a good environment. So he came back and decided to take his revenge on anyone associated with what happened. Working for him was the second part of the arc.

This is the same game where one of the runners jobs was to stage a riot with the instructions Knight Errant Security had to come off looking awesome, and Lone Starr had to end up looking terrible. Other duties included rescuing a Toxic Shaman being turned over to the Tir Tairngire under guard of both Elven and US Military Special Forces for acts of Eco Terrorism, as well as infiltrating the local Nuclear Power plant that I spent several weeks researching for maps that they ended up using less that 10% of. The grand finale took place during the Urban Brawl Finals (think Superbowl) where they had to help Seattle's team hold off the visiting team because if they scored a single goal a Toxic God Elemental would be unleashed and decimate the city. Everyone else was locked out behind a shield, but the players could interfere because at the time of its instructions the Minor Toxic Elemental playing referee was told they were allies and to ignore them.

Famous quotes from the game:

"We are the good guys, right?" (after realizing they are the reason Seattle is about to become a Toxic Wasteland)
    "You've got an entire crate of Tiffany Self Defenders? My brother got shot with one of those like 37 times. You want to talk to him? He's right here."

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    I ran a great intro mission for Bug City that unfortunately didn't lead anywhere. But that mission was tons of fun.

The runners got hired by a totally-not-Yakuza Johnson to investigate a brothel. A bunch of Yak goons had disappeared, last seen at that brothel, but they couldn't get near it themselves and needed (*cough* disposable sacrificial lambs with) unknown faces to have a look.

Yep, insect shamans. Those Yak goons were goners.

Echo on
    All this Shadowrun talk makes me regret the barren state of my local tabletop scene even more. Though it's not like I'd have the time for Shadowrun anyway, so I guess that's better than having it around and not being able to play.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Huh, that's interesting. I was looking up info on the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games, and the SNES game was made by Beam Software. They also developed one of my favorite obscure NES games, Nightshade, which has a teeny-tiny bit of the same vibe. Too bad I don't have access to SNES hardware.

soempty.jpg
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Chicago.

Discussion over.

Chicago was Univeral Brotherhood territory until 2055. No one knew that the bugs were there until they threw up the wall.

Edit: If you look at their stretch goals, they are going to continue to flesh out more of Seattle until about the 750k mark. And trust me - with 4 dedicated sourcebooks to Seattle, to say nothing of the tons of adventures, novels, and the fact they actually live in the city now, I'm sure it'll be more fleshed out.

I'd love to see Chicago as a locale. I bought and read Burning Bright when I was eight, had no idea what was going on, and didn't even know what Shadowrun was for another eight years after that. I still loved the book and attribute this experience to my love of nerdy shit.
    My mom took the book away because of the sex scene. I figured she would, so I finished the book before she had a chance to check through it.

All this Shadowrun talk makes me regret the barren state of my local tabletop scene even more. Though it's not like I'd have the time for Shadowrun anyway, so I guess that's better than having it around and not being able to play.

I hope to start running Missions here in the upcoming months, and maybe GM at GenCon if they'll have me. My local city has a game store that doesn't want to stock roleplaying games -- which bites, given how it is a college town. But hey, we're working to revive the scene around here.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Chicago.

Discussion over.

I'd love to see Chicago as a locale. I bought and read Burning Bright when I was eight, had no idea what was going on, and didn't even know what Shadowrun was for another eight years after that. I still loved the book and attribute this experience to my love of nerdy shit.
    My mom took the book away because of the sex scene. I figured she would, so I finished the book before she had a chance to check through it.
    In some ways, I really want it to be Chicago. It's still a nice hotbed of Shadowrun activity before 2055, and the fact that it's going to turn into a bug-filled shithole means that they can do pretty much anything they want with the setting. There are interesting locations, like the Shattergraves (the rubble around the Sears Tower after it was destroyed), the Noose, lots of Chicago landmarks, and the old FASA offices. It would be hilarious to do a Shadowrun there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So is the $15 tier what the game is going to cost or is it like Wasteland 2's where that's just a special discount?

steam_sig.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

This kind of sentiment is why I am so exciting for Shadowrun on the PC. Very similar to Szechuan (even how his mom was sounds similar), I found Shadowrun through one of its books (and any others that I could lay my hands at in the local tiny library) and didn't realize it was based on a Pen & Paper game, so when I found out that it was something I could play I was ecstatic ...

... only that turned into dismay, as there is barely even a board game scene in the village I live, let alone a P&P scene, despite my many attempts at trying to get people to come over and play.

Its so much bloody easier to find people to play with online and even though this is single player focus, between this and Shadowrun Online, I hope something works out that this makes for a whole lot of fun for us to have collectively online with the setting.

And just like someone else mentioned, the North American Native nations is a aspect of the setting that endears me to it. That is why if I have a choice / say in the matter, I want the expanded content to explore the ever living fuck out of the nation that surrounds Seattle, the SSC (Salish-Sahide Council) and other NAN member states.

steam_sig.png
    Funding is pushing pretty solidly towards 700k with more than 20 days left. Pretty hopeful that we'll get a second location, better music, and a nicer mission editor.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Chicago.

Discussion over.

Bug City?

Fuck yes.

milk ducks on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I have never been into Shadowrun, but I was heavily into its old FASA stablemate BattleTech, so I would hear things about Shadowrun from people occasionally and the setting always sounded pretty unique and intriguing. Turn-based, 2D RPG you say? Would it be too much to ask for retro pixel graphics? Probably. In any case, I will see about throwing some cash at this once my tax refund is in.

In the meantime, need to check out the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games. Leaning towards trying to the Genesis one first, like the top-down graphical style better than the isometric.

Gaslight on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Doc Wagons sound awesome.

edited April 2012
    Shadowrun is returning, as a digital game, and the project is on Kickstarter. The really fantastic thing here is that Jordan Weisman, who created the Shadowrun world so many years ago, has regained the rights and is back at the helm.

But it's almost as great simply to see Shadowrun revived. A lot of you young whippersnappers in your 30s and 40s may just remember it as a great world that was around when you were getting into the hobby. You have no idea how off-the-walls ballsy it was, back in 1989, for a major release to mash up fantasy races and a cyberpunk world. Completely outrageous. And it worked, and it had a great run, and it went away, and now it's back. (Insert "cycles" joke for those already into Shadowrun. The rest of you, ignore that line.)

At any rate, I just supported at the $1,000 level, which means that in some back alley of the digital Seattle, you may meet an Evil Stevie character. You don't have to give that much, but if you ever enjoyed Shadowrun, you should go support it. And if you never heard of Shadowrun, do yourself a favor and check it out. It manages to give classic cyberpunk a really weird twist and still get the "feel" of the genre absolutely right. And now the creator has control of the game again, and that's worth supporting too.

He'll be able to keep my Bearded Hippie Fixer company.

Dedwrekka on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Not at all familiar with the Shadowrun world, and yet I found myself compelled to throw $15 their way.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So is the $15 tier what the game is going to cost or is it like Wasteland 2's where that's just a special discount?

No guarantees on final price unless you kick in now buddy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Hey everyone, we're really glad you're excited about the game and appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. Let's play nice though - we promise we don't have a grudge against any operating systems! (Except Windows ME).

A couple things:

Regarding our radio silence yesterday, we simply had to take the holiday weekend off to be with family. In addition to this Kickstarter campaign, we're crunching VERY hard to get our other game out the door this month. So bear with us! We're absolutely not the kind of people to "sign off" after business hours (as our families and significant others will readily attest).

Anyway, we want to let you know that we're definitely listening to your feedback and you can expect a full, considered response about Linux early this week. As a company, we are being very careful not to over-commit to ideas and features just to get more funding - everything we decide to include in Shadowurn Returns needs to be within our ability to deliver as part of a great product.

We hope you understand and please keep the constructive feedback coming. We love how the community is coming together to support the Cause!

I get the Linux people want to avoid dual booting or whatever but they need to understand that every 100k donated to this game is kick to the crotch of Microsoft since they sat on the license for all those years without making this game.

steam_sig.png
    Hey everyone, we're really glad you're excited about the game and appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. Let's play nice though - we promise we don't have a grudge against any operating systems! (Except Windows ME).

A couple things:

Regarding our radio silence yesterday, we simply had to take the holiday weekend off to be with family. In addition to this Kickstarter campaign, we're crunching VERY hard to get our other game out the door this month. So bear with us! We're absolutely not the kind of people to "sign off" after business hours (as our families and significant others will readily attest).

Anyway, we want to let you know that we're definitely listening to your feedback and you can expect a full, considered response about Linux early this week. As a company, we are being very careful not to over-commit to ideas and features just to get more funding - everything we decide to include in Shadowurn Returns needs to be within our ability to deliver as part of a great product.

We hope you understand and please keep the constructive feedback coming. We love how the community is coming together to support the Cause!

I get the Linux people want to avoid dual booting or whatever but they need to understand that every 100k donated to this game is kick to the crotch of Microsoft since they sat on the license for all those years without making this game.

There's microsoft emulators for linux that are, of course, 100% free and work well.
    Linux was an option for them, not a commitment, and it takes them away from their current coding when they're already planning on having it for iOS and PC, without a lot of real results. The difference between splitting the team even more to code for Linux versus adding more content and polish and having Linux operators run it on an emulator, is huge in terms of whether you make everyone happy or just make it a little easier for one group.

I couldn't give two craps about the Linux option; you'd have to be a pretty serious neckbeard to not have anything with a Mac, Android, or Microsoft OS on it. On top of that, Linux is supported by pretty much nobody when it comes to making games. On top of that, there are already ways for Linux systems to emulate something that could play this Shadowrun game.

The way I look at it, every dollar spent on doing Linux development would be a dollar taken away from making a better Shadowrun game. I wouldn't disagree with Harebrained Schemes at all if they decided not to make a Linux version for the 10 people out there who don't use anything else.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    3rd edition rules or no sale.
    Well it's set in 2050, so that should make you happy. I like 4th edition, but I'm cool with either.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes Kickstarter so goddamn awesome. At this point I'm giving more money to these projects than I am actually buying games that are out.

I know this is from page one, but I'm reading through the thread. This has me super excited.

Anyway, I feel like what's going to happen is I'm going to kickstart a bunch of games, forget about it and in two years get a bunch of fun shit via e-mail.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I couldn't give two craps about the Linux option; you'd have to be a pretty serious neckbeard to not have anything with a Mac, Android, or Microsoft OS on it. On top of that, Linux is supported by pretty much nobody when it comes to making games. On top of that, there are already ways for Linux systems to emulate something that could play this Shadowrun game.

The way I look at it, every dollar spent on doing Linux development would be a dollar taken away from making a better Shadowrun game. I wouldn't disagree with Harebrained Schemes at all if they decided not to make a Linux version for the 10 people out there who don't use anything else.
    If Humble Indie Bundle is any indication there's a fair amount of cash to be gotten from Linux gamers if catered to, actually. If they build the game with portability in mind for the other platforms it probably wouldn't take that much effort to have a Linux compile as well, OpenGL is OpenGL.
    Plus, as a Windows user, I could apply the exact same logic to Mac and Android users, it's just a different way of saying "it doesn't matter to me so nyeh".

Actually, my viewpoint is definitely more that Linux wouldn't be a profitable enough choice far more than the fact that I simply don't care for Linux; the latter is definitely an issue of opinion rather than something objective.

However, I do feel pretty strongly that I'd rather Linux not be a serious concern at all until the game has already proved its quality and profitability. Under the hood, it would probably be a good choice for the devs to make it easier for themselves to later port to Linux and I wouldn't contest that choice at all. But the Mac/Android/Microsoft device market dwarfs the Linux market and there are already ways to emulate something which would run the games. I can't say I'd want to have to emulate anything to play a game I want, but it's not like Linux users would be shut out completely. Not to mention that somebody who uses Linux is more likely to be able to get the proper emulation running anyway, so there's even less of an imperative there for Harebrained to devote resources to that right now.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I would unquestionably buy a pc and iOS version of this game. I hope that wasteland 2 also gets ported to ios. Turn based games are perfect on ios and if they can do it, they absolutely should.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    The only thing that I'm actually concerned about in regards to this game is that I noticed the fact that the delivery date is for January 2013. Hope these guys are going to do plenty of updating because it's gonna drive me crazy to wait even that long.

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    It does seem strange that they can't do Linux... Is it because they don't have the inhouse skill set? Or is it due to the way they are coding the game?

Either way, this is a pretty simple cost/benefit analysis: they need to cost and time out what it would take to do a Linux version, then tell the market.

I think additional information would help cool the debate a bit.

While I have no personal desire for Harebrained to, in opinion, waste time on a Linux version, I can definitely understand the clamor for Linux support. Even if a relative few people are dedicated to Linux, there aren't a lot out there which even consider developing for Linux; I'd probably loudly beg for Linux support as well, if I didn't have multiple Android or PC devices I could play the game on.

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Well I think Linux makes sense if the figures stack up - clearly for some reason they don't at the moment.

Hopefully they will post more info on why.

FYI I do not run Linux and largely agree that 99% of Linux users have access to other compatible formats... But then again I get the feeling that Linux users would also be on average more prolific map makers... So I think they would add to the success of the game after launch too.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    There are so many different awesome places in Shadowrun, it's tough to decide. On one hand, Chicago, Denver, Berlin, Tir Tangire have obvious interesting aspects, but New Orleans has pirates, South America has full on wars going on and Australia has a desert full of magical storms and giant paracritters.

I want anything.

Docken wrote: »
    It does seem strange that they can't do Linux... Is it because they don't have the inhouse skill set? Or is it due to the way they are coding the game?

Either way, this is a pretty simple cost/benefit analysis: they need to cost and time out what it would take to do a Linux version, then tell the market.

I think additional information would help cool the debate a bit.

One thing they might be considering is the difficulty of post launch support.

steam_sig.png