As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wrestling Games: The Thread

Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's StockingNorth PoleRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
I like wrestling games you guys

most of them are pretty garbage but there are some serious gems if you look

here's a breakdown of the best wrestling games for every system I can think of

NES

Nesprowrestlingbox.jpg

Pro Wrestling is the greatest wrestling game ever made. With a fictional cast of characters including The Amazon, who has a move called the Pirahna Bite, and is from ??? (I am going to guess Brazil, video game) and combat that includes up to TWO moves, you won't get a more dynamic professional wrestling experience anywhere.

Plus it invented A WINNER IS YOU

WCW%2BWrestling_0001.jpg

World Championship Wrestling was the other NES wrestling game I owned as a kid, which means it is the second best wrestling game ever made. This one has real wrestlers, like Ric Flair, and Eddie Gilbert. Plus you could wail on dudes with a wrench.

Fun fact, Paul Heyman did the intro!

see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz_aAZCHdAk

SNES

SMSNES.png

Saturday Night Slam Masters was a Capcom wrestling game with a pretty fun combat system and rad music

but what really makes Saturday Night alright for fighting is this:

SlamMastersHaggar.jpg

Mike "The Motherfucking Mayor" Haggar. He will eat your trashcan meat.

256px-WWFRAW.png

WWF Raw was the last in a series of games that all used the same mechanics, like Royal Rumble and King Of The Ring for Sega CD

I liked all of those games, but Raw was my favorite. It had Doink.

Also PRESS AYYYYYYYYYYYYY AND BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (Todd Pettingill alert!!!!) (skip to about a minute in for what I'm talkin' about)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97vomTaIzg

Genesis

WWFWrestlemaniaarcadeGEN.jpg

Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game came out for almost every system ever made at that point, but it'll always be a genesis game to me. When I first saw this game I nearly shit my pants. The Undertaker whacking dudes with literal tombstones! Doink zapping people with a joybuzzer!

Shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CY5zxWfklU

also I still can't watch wrestling without yelling PIN HIM like Vince McMahon (and occasionally DOINK THE CLOWN... VERSUS... BRET THE HITMAN HART)

Playstation

simpsonswrestlingcover.jpg

The Simpsons Wrestling is actually a terrible game, but I loved it anyway. It was stupid as hell but wailing on simpsons guys with other simpsons guys was fun to me. Also Ned Flanders is appropriately broken. I blame Jesus.

WCW_Nitro_Cover.jpg

I'd like to say WCW Nitro was a better game, but it wasn't. Everyone pretended it was awesome, but deep down, we knew. Still, it came out at the height of WCWmania so it had that going for it. Plus it had wacky secret characters, like Santa!

...yeah

N64

Well now, this is where the rubber meets the road. The N64, while being completely shitty at everything else, was Unquestioned Lord And Master Of Wrestling Games

or rather

game.

They were all pretty much refinements on the same game. AKI Corporation made a sweet ass wrestling engine for Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 in Japan, and THQ proceeded to use it for pretty much all their wrestling games on the N64

so you got WCW Vs. The World, WCW/NWO World Tour, and WCW/NWO Revenge on the WCW side, and then once THQ acquired the WWF license we got WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and my personal favorite

250px-NoMercyGameBox.jpg

WWF No Mercy. I won't break these down at length, suffice to say they were all basically the same game that was improved with each iteration, though some people prefer Wrestlemania over No Mercy for some reason. The WWF games in particular had really good character creators, leading to things like this:

Aquaman.jpg

And No Mercy in particular was pretty cool due to the branching storylines it had for each title. I almost did a Let's Play of that game one time, but then got lazy and stopped, to the shock of no one. Maybe someday I will go back to it! Probably not though.

Playstation 2/Xbox/Gamecube

Def_Jam_Fight_for_NY.jpg

AKI's wrestling engine wouldn't die, and some weirdo at EA came up with the idea to make a series of wrestling games starring rappers. Uh, okay. The first one, Def Jam Vendetta was a fairly standard wrestling game, aside from the fact that you were playing as Busta Rhymes and Ghostface Killah. The second, Fight For NY, is more of a Fight Club set up, where there are rings sometimes, but sometimes you're fighting on rooftops or in a subway or in a raging fire. Also the final boss is Evil Snoop Dogg. Also also, Henry Rollins runs the gym. HENRY ROLLINS RUNS THE GYM.

Xbox 360/PS3

Wwe_12_cover.jpg

Currently, the Smackdown Vs. Raw series, or I guess the WWE series, now, is just OK. I find the WWE games that go off the rails like Legends Of Wrestlemania and WWE All-Stars to be much more entertaining

WWE_Legends_of_WrestleMania_cover.jpg

LOW is basically an homage to 80s wrestling, from the rubbery LJN-figure looks of the wrestlers, to the weird mini-rings and shitty lower thirds. It's got some QTEs that, while taking some of your control away, does a lot to make the matches feel more like they would on TV. And you can import your guys from Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009! Which gives you more guys, I suppose.

WWEAllStarsCoverArt.png

WWE All-Stars is genuinely cool, once you get past the eye-demolishing art design. It's super arcadey, so you have stuff like juggle combos and finishing moves that send a guy 20 feet in the air. It's a nice change from the rather stodgy control and gameplay of the main series. There are also cool video packages that set up dream feuds like CM Punk Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a pretty awesome story mode with Old School Undertaker. (The Randy Orton one is just OK.)

So yeah I realized about halfway through this that this huge exhaustive post about wrestling games probably has no business here, but I wanted to talk about wrestling games, so

you know

deal with it

(talk about wrestling games)

xmassig2.gif
Kuribo's Shoe on

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    where are my e-fed games

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Thread sucks because Here Comes The Pain isn't mentioned in the OP as one of the greatest wrestling games ever

Fire_Pro_Wrestling_Returns.jpg

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Thread sucks because Here Comes The Pain isn't mentioned in the OP as one of the greatest wrestling games ever

that is why it is a thread, and not an article

You can create the world where it is mentioned!

xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I hate fire pro games

they are ridiculously hard to play

xmassig2.gif
    I hate fire pro games

they are ridiculously hard to play
    granted

i still love them

some stuff I did forget to mention is WWF Smackdown for the PS1, Ultimate Muscle and its sequel for the PS2, and ECW Hardcore Revolution for the Dreamcast

the ECW games are interesting because as part of the deal Acclaim bought part of ECW

not that that helped it much

xmassig2.gif
    holy shit the ultimate muscle games were so good

...this thread is going to die a swift death, isn't it

xmassig2.gif
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    No Mercy is the best wrestling game

not even close!

No Mercy is the best game that doesn't have The Amazon, yes

xmassig2.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just want to say that I enjoyed WWF Warzone and Attitude.

That has no bearing on my opinion of any of the others named, but I was a little surprised they weren't brought up, since they came out when WWF was just getting red-hot in their fight against WCW.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    wcw vs nwo revenge is the best wrestling game because you can be la parka in it

and win all the belts

sorry no mercy and wrestlemania

you guys is butts for not having a la parka

7656367.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I used to play a wrestling game on the N64 with my buddy Russell, it was great fun, you could knock a dude down, grab his legs, spread them apart and then stomp on his balls, and every time you made contact with the family jewels, the game played a 'ding!' sound effect like a bell being rung. Our play sessions were just a cacophany of DING DING DING like we were in a bell tower...

This was back in the Turok days, quite some time ago...

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular

and win all the belts

and then during battle royals, La Parka would come out running with a chair

and Sting would come down from the rafters bat in hand

good times

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i dont like watching wrestling but the games are usually super fun rentals, i find.

• JarkeldJarkeld Heemskerk, NH, NLRegistered User regular
    Like watching wrestling, but it's not on any channel I can receive. I own several SD v. Raw games for PS2/PS3. They have their flaws (my playing style has many flaws as well) but are still fun to play. Own a TNA game as well, but since I haven't actually watched any TNA that game doesn't appeal to me as the WWE ones do.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I still get sad when I think about that Fire Pro hoax.

What I really want is a wrestling simulator. Not a fighting game, but a performance game. Put on the most entertaining match. Have a career mode, put on the best matches given the constraints set upon you by the agents ("you're curtain jerking this match, make it no longer than five minutes", "the guy you're facing, we're bringing him in with a big push. Make him look good, then take a dive", "you're the come-down match after our big midcard match, no more than 2 stars and use at least five restholds") and by your opponents (how do you put over a guy who knows five moves and two of them are punch and kick or hey, here's this guy who's great at selling and ring psychology, have fun).

Sadly, it will never be.

euj90n71sojo.png
    There are some pretty good PC games that do that.

I remember I pushed Shelton Benjamin to the moon in Total Extreme Warfare or whatever it was called.

Then they started charging for it so they had to take out all the real wrestlers, so I lost interest.

xmassig2.gif
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    WCW/NWO World Tour and Revenge are my favorite wrestling games and probably always will be.

Xehalus on
    the best thing about wcw vs nwo revenge was the rings of saturn glitch

7656367.jpg
  • NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    I used to play a wrestling game on the N64 with my buddy Russell, it was great fun, you could knock a dude down, grab his legs, spread them apart and then stomp on his balls, and every time you made contact with the family jewels, the game played a 'ding!' sound effect like a bell being rung. Our play sessions were just a cacophany of DING DING DING like we were in a bell tower...

This was back in the Turok days, quite some time ago...

Had a friend who would go into a controller throwing fury when I did this. Naturally, it became a recurring theme when putting together a moveset. It all came to an end when he ripped the cartridge out and took a hammer to it.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Def Jam Fight for NY is the best wrestling game. It is so good that yesterday I somehow convinced my friend to buy two games at gamestop to get a copy of it for free.

Method Man/Redman as tag team champs for life.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    How could you ever overlook such a classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULwWHXrLKE

Yeah...I only ever played as Sabu or Andrew WK

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    There are some pretty good PC games that do that.

I remember I pushed Shelton Benjamin to the moon in Total Extreme Warfare or whatever it was called.

Then they started charging for it so they had to take out all the real wrestlers, so I lost interest.

EWR is the best wrestling game because you can create anybody in the world, give them a milkman gimmick and make them lose to the biggest jobber you can find.

Another fun way to play is to start a backyard fed and try not to have your entire roster get injured despite finishing every match with "sick bump". I once brought a company up to regional popularity before accidentally accepting an offer to run a cult-level promotion.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Corey Ledesma, the creative director of WWE Games has announced that they have scrapped the "Road to WrestleMania" mode from WWE 13. In its place will be "Story Mode." There will be other changes announced, and Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler have been doing work on the game, regarding the older talent being involved in the game.

I agree with this decision, as I really wasn't that big a fan of the Road to Wrestlemania mode. It was a great concept, but aside from a few great moments per game, was ultimately underwhelming. I wish they still had regular GM mode, and hopefully with this decision, this means there's a chance that GM mode will return.

Also, I was considering downloading Total Extreme Wrestling 2005. Could anybody who's tried/played it tell me whether to do it or pass on it, and if doing it, which mods if any I should download with it?

Also, I was considering downloading Total Extreme Wrestling 2005. Could anybody who's tried/played it tell me whether to do it or pass on it, and if doing it, which mods if any I should download with it?

yes I too am interested in this

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular

the what now

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

yes I too am interested in this

If that's the free version of it, it's good and you can find the stuff you need by googling extreme warfare battleground and there's a message board where you can find updated data for the game.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Last I checked TEW 2005 was free.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Skull Man wrote: »

the what now

if you were in a tag match and used the rings of saturn, nothing could break the hold

it is the instant win button

7656367.jpg
    Yeah, TEW 2005 is free. I was just wondering if it was good enough to download, and what mods with it if so.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87955

You might have to create an account to go to this forum, but the stat update is done every month and it has tons of indy wrestlers and pretty much everything you need for the game to be realistic. I like the way you get to choose the length of the matches and segments and not just fill so many segments for a show.

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular

the what now

if you were in a tag match and used the rings of saturn, nothing could break the hold

oh my

oh my god

my cousin is a fucking bastard

edited April 2012
    oh god skull man

did I just reveal a conspiracy to you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    that second image totally has a dick in it and not a muscly arm

2x39jD4.jpg

the what now

Jesus christ this explains so much now about my friend's unbeaten exhibition streak

And why he would never let me pick Saturn

son of a bitch

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

and win all the belts

Man La Parka was so awesome

All playing guitar with that chair

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    not to mention World Tour/Revenge were amazing multiplayer experiences

it probably helped them being on the N64

when it was more about controls and customization than graphics and cutscenes persay