As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This thread is so bubbly and cloy and happy, just like [Star Trek]

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I really love SFDebris' take on Janeway

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Okay, I was totally not expecting that, and yet it is still perfect. Well played.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I was greatly amused by the Coda.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wait what?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Google "SF Debris Tuvix Coda".

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So when are they going to make some new Star Trek stuff. The MMO was the last Trek thing released. The movie sequel will probably be good.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

The review is also great, I wonder how long it takes for him to put together a script for a review. I'm consistently impressed with how concise, funny and well thought out they are.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That was beautiful, thank you for making my day

Kronus on
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So when are they going to make some new Star Trek stuff. The MMO was the last Trek thing released. The movie sequel will probably be good.

Sherlock Holmes is in it, that makes it at least watchable.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Reese will forever be the most badass Federation soldier.

482px-Reese_%28AR-558%29.jpg

Held the line at AR-558, and not a single fuck was given that day.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    Okay, so Vegas very nearly had a full-scale 120 million dollar replica of the USS Enteprise docked next to the strip.

A complete 1:1 recreation of the whole damned ship. This almost happened.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »
    Okay, so Vegas very nearly had a full-scale 120 million dollar replica of the USS Enteprise docked next to the strip.

I hope Jaffe enjoys his reputation as the man who didn't want to build the Enterprise.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    While Im not too sure in the feasibility of creating an Enterprise shaped hotel, it would have been awesome. Definitely better than the ride thing they had in the Hilton for a while (although that came with Quarks bar which was pretty fucking sweet). I wonder if thats still there..

And really? Shit stays on the Strip forever? They were blowing up hotels every couple of years not too long ago.

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pi-r8 on
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I never knew how much I wanted to go to a Star Trek resort until now, and I so badly want to go.

I am totes going to Dubai.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »

In the movie business, when we produce a big movie and it's a flop – we take some bad press for a few weeks or a few months, but then it goes away. The next movie comes out and everyone forgets.

Good god this is the stupidest reasoning. "We as a movie company don't care if we produce bad movies, because people will forget once the next movie comes out." How'd that work out with Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis, buddy?

sig.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    First three of those made huge bank and most people will reasonably argue that First Contact isn't all that bad.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kronus wrote: »
    I never knew how much I wanted to go to a Star Trek resort until now, and I so badly want to go.

If you do end up going research Dubai throughly before leaving. There's a thread on PA about what shady shit that goes on there, it's not pretty. IIRC Americans can get into trouble legally by unknowingly breaking laws.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/blog/2011/03/14/6-dubai-laws-you-should-never-break/

Harry Dresden on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    First three of those made huge bank and most people will reasonably argue that First Contact isn't all that bad.
    A lot of people will do the same for Avatar as well.

I don't think any of the TNG films really made bank in terms of cultural capital though.

Lucid on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kronus wrote: »

If you do end up going research Dubai throughly before leaving. There's a thread on PA about what shady shit that goes on there, it's not pretty. IIRC Americans can get into trouble legally by unknowingly breaking laws.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/blog/2011/03/14/6-dubai-laws-you-should-never-break/

I was just about to post how Dubai is one of the least Star Trek places on Earth.

It's like Far Point Station. At first you think everything is wonderful, then you find out how they made all those beautiful buildings. Then all you wanna do is fire upon them from orbit and then rip out the alien creature powering their-- you get the point.

(Lots of slave labor, poverty, despair, needless human suffering, etc)

Caveman Paws on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Dubai is fucking awful and I can't wait for the desert and the sea to reclaim what's theirs.

Lh96QHG.png
    Also bad BAAD overacting

Hey why wasn't the nemesis in star trek nemesis sela? That would have made a much better story than stupid Picard clone.

Kagera wrote: »
    Hey why wasn't the nemesis in star trek nemesis sela? That would have made a much better story than stupid Picard clone.

Hmm, "Babby of time travelling alternate version of a security officer who was killed fifteen years ago" versus "clone wot is evil".

Tough call.

Hmm, "Babby of time travelling alternate version of a security officer who was killed fifteen years ago" versus "clone wot is evil".

Tough call.

I mean it ties the movie and it's ending of TNG back to its.beginning and closes a sub chapter better than anything especially with data dying and all.

He could be all 'oh hey by the way I boned your mom kekeke boom!'

edited April 2012

Tough call.

Evil clone stories can be entertaining when done well. Nemesis wasn't done well. They should have continued with the plan with Shinzon (who is Picard's age) replacing Picard on the Enterprise after the Romulan's kidnap the real one. A Romulan higher up the food chain would have been the big bad, who is Shinzon's superior. Another change is to replace B4 with Lore.

Harry Dresden on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Really? I thought each one did pretty badly. Like, just good enough to justify a sequel but barely.

Quire.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I have been upgrading DVDs to Blu-Rays the past year if the price is right. Only ones that are very actiony with great sound. Just replaced my First Contact DVD and holy shit has this been the most dramatic change sound wise. Most notably sound direction in surround sound. So much of the movie simulates you being in the middle of the action which is exactly what I look for in action movie sound. Phasers going off from rear right speaker and then zooming across the living room to the front left speaker for a explosion. Fucking fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I had an idea about ships in star trek and holodecks. We know holodecks can create anything, why don't they create a ship whose entire interior is a hologram. all you need is a power generator (a powerful one) to start the holo generator which can then create the rest of the ship. Turn of the safety limits and you have a ship that instantly repair any damage, instantly adapt to a combat situation. (for instance instantly change 2 decks to become nothing but shield generators). Heck even add some holo-emitters facing outwards and you can make hull repairs. Granted I think such a ship would use a hell of alot of power but it can always break the laws of physics and just create more anti-matter at will.
    You wouldn't need a crew just tell the computer to create a military genius the likes of which hasn't been seen and if that episode where Moriaty got created is any proof you will have a genius on everyship.
    Such a ship would be so overpowered it would be boring to watch. Mostly because its holo crew could never leave the ship

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    That episode where they had them tribal dudes fake migrate to a new world through the holodeck had the whole thing collapsing after a few days, genius engineers and all. And that was one holodeck. The things don't seem to be designed to run that long without pause.

However, they should totally look into holographic personnel. Dudes could even work through hull breaches and life support failures and whatnot. AND it could explain a show's traditional lack of enlisted characters; the officers are the only real people.

Aurich wrote: »
    That episode where they had them tribal dudes fake migrate to a new world through the holodeck had the whole thing collapsing after a few days, genius engineers and all. And that was one holodeck. The things don't seem to be designed to run that long without pause.

However, they should totally look into holographic personnel. Dudes could even work through hull breaches and life support failures and whatnot. AND it could explain a show's traditional lack of enlisted characters; the officers are the only real people.

An entire security detail of Robert Picardos... 8->

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Wasn't that tribe being relocated from a hostile radiation storm or something? I thought the 'deck was damaged bythe thing they were escaping, hence the failures… not that it's that important really.
    But any way, a holodeck designed for occasional recreational use is a very different engineering problem to a holoship designed from the ground up to be on at all times. Changing that starting assumption changes pretty much everything else apart from the underlying functional principles.

Still, while an infinitely reconfigurable interior would be awesome, it wouldn't be of much use as a structural element since holodecks don't normally create a lot of matter, generally only what users are likely to pick up and examine in detail (or eat; that gets replicated just like in the cabin meal replicators), with the rest of the environment being forcefields and lasers. And we all know how reliable forcefields are under the pressure of an attack…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular

Star Trek Online played with this in one of the newer story arcs.
    The Federation's ultra-high security prison is staffed entirely by holograms, all the way up to and including the warden.

And of course, the power goes out and things get messy.

steam_sig.png
    My star trek nemesis

Sela sees spocks talking of reunification is gaining ground with the romulan senate so hat he's a plan with the remans to take over and give them freedom and equal rights because that's how much she hates humans. Also uses lore to manipulate data. Also was banging lore. Also Spock fights the reman not riker

edited April 2012

In the Voyager novels the Doctor is a captain on his ship with a holo-emitter crew and security officers who are from races like Gorns. The only human on board is Barclay.

Harry Dresden on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

In the Voyager novels the Doctor is a captain on his ship with a holo-emitter crew and security officers who are from races like Gorns. The only human on board is Barclay.

That actually sounds cool... it must be a trap.

That's Star Wars. :twisted:

The Trek novels are excellent. For the relaunched series, anyway.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular

The holo-emitter was a piece of 31st century tech. Starfleet can't replicate it to make a full holographic crew.

sig.gif
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    His personal mobile emitter is time lost supertech but making an entire ship's volume habitable to holograms was already done, without Starfleet having access to the mobile emitter, by the time the Doctor got sent to the Alpha quadrant and encountered the Mk. IV EMH on that experimental ship that split into four bits.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.