As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] Syrup

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arch wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    goddamit that was a waste of time

So I apparently have a windows 7 "upgrade" disc...which doesn't let me do what I want, which is reformat my harddrive and do a clean reinstall

or if it does I dont know what the fuck I am doing

I basically just spent two hours reinstalling win7 on my hard drive, and it just dumped everything I had into a "windows.old" file...and every program still in the c drive itself is still there

computers are stupid!*

*it is I that am stupid

There are ways of doing what you want to do with the upgrade disc although Microsoft doesn't officially allow you. Google it.

i trieeeeed and am stupid

Try this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Sarksus on
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing to make me tear up: the Alice in Chains song "Would?"

I was alone on an airplane, staring out the window, listening to satellite radio, and when the song finally hit that moment - you know the one - the moment the song's been building and building towards - bam! tears.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I was alone on an airplane, staring out the window, listening to satellite radio, and when the song finally hit that moment - you know the one - the moment the song's been building and building towards - bam! tears.

*hugs*?

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I crush bugs because I hope arch can feel it by proxy.

The only youtube video I found was a horribly grainy video recording of a TV set. Please just imagine that I posted a video of the end of Men In Black.

"Was that your Auntie?"

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

So I apparently have a windows 7 "upgrade" disc...which doesn't let me do what I want, which is reformat my harddrive and do a clean reinstall

I basically just spent two hours reinstalling win7 on my hard drive, and it just dumped everything I had into a "windows.old" file...and every program still in the c drive itself is still there

computers are stupid!*

*it is I that am stupid

There are ways of doing what you want to do with the upgrade disc although Microsoft doesn't officially allow you. Google it.

Try this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

I'm pretty sure you can also just reburn the DVD and edit like 1 file. I think this is what I used to cross-grade from the developer preview 7 Ultimate to 7 Pro.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    shit, it's late

on the other hand

booty call

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    What moment? Never heard the song before.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I cried during Pokemon the First Movie

MewTwo finally understood.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    DON'T YOU -FUCKING- JUDGE ME

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

computers are stupid!*

*it is I that am stupid

Try this:

okay so when I did something similar to this, i never got this option

how do i reformat the harddrive i am using right now

right click reformat doesn't work

i am stupid

computers are stupid!*

*it is I that am stupid

Try this:

okay so when I did something similar to this, i never got this option

how do i reformat the harddrive i am using right now

right click reformat doesn't work

i am stupid

When you get to the screen where it asks you to choose a place for the install there isn't a 'format' or advanced drive options button?

Podly wrote: »
    shit, it's late

on the other hand

booty call

56567-9202a8c04000641f80000000095b90c9booty-call.jpg

edited April 2012
    What moment? Never heard the song before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

bloodyroarxx on
    Ludious wrote: »
    DON'T YOU -FUCKING- JUDGE ME

Was it when mew two had his first peanut butter and jelly sandwich and understood what life was all about?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    All the iPhone IM clients are very privacy invadery.

Facebook Messenger is what I mostly use when I'm not texting.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I wish I had booty calls at my disposal. :( unfortunately I do not

wandering wrote: »

*hugs*?
    I don't say no to hugs!

this is what i get

this is stupid and i am stupid

http://imgur.com/ybkU9

Restart windows from the installation disc.

I say Stan Lee give a talk the other week and during the Q+A a young woman asked if she could hug him and he replied: "Oh I've got no problem with hugs." (Pause.) "So long as you're a girl." And he threw his arms out wide and they hugged.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    this is what i get

I'm p sure that upgrade discs do not have this functionality. The reasoning being that it's an upgrade disc. It's supposed to install over an existing thing.

It's silly.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    this is what i get

Restart windows from the installation disc.

when I do that (i.e. boot the disk on restart) I don't even get to this screen- it takes me straight to some disc recovery tools

THIS IS STUPID

Command prompt format

wazilla wrote: »
    this is what i get

I'm p sure that upgrade discs do not have this functionality. The reasoning being that it's an upgrade disc. It's supposed to install over an existing thing.

It's silly.

son of a bitch

Command prompt format

if I go to command prompt, type C: /q that should reformat the c drive right

what if this fucks up and i cant install win7 on the drive

i fear this can go badly :/

msmya wrote: »
    I wish I had booty calls at my disposal. :( unfortunately I do not

Maybe your standards are just too high!

I, for one, don't have this problem, so i can say with utmost certainty that no, I don't

edited April 2012
    You can also use disk cleanup to delete windows.old. Not sure of how the result is different from a clean install. There might be registry stuff left over but I don't think you'll notice any difference.

Sarksus on
    Command prompt format

if I go to command prompt, type C: /q that should reformat the c drive right

what if this fucks up and i cant install win7 on the drive

i fear this can go badly :/

Yeah I don't even know. I wouldn't try it without further research.

edited April 2012
    You can also use disk cleanup to delete windows.old. Not sure of how the result is different from a clean install. There might be registry stuff left over but I don't think you'll notice any difference.

well the thing is like...there is all this other shit in my c drive I wanted to just get rid of as well and the reinstall i just did didn't touch those files

also my firefox had been freaking out lately and i feared I had some sort of virus because my computer was doing weird things so i wanted to wipe it all and start over from scratch

apparently that is really difficult

Arch on
    and to be clear, the problem I was referring to was having high standards.

I clearly don't have the pull to make a booty call.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Do you have your XP installation disc?

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    High maintenance. What can I say.=P

Do you have your XP installation disc?

of course i don't, they apparently didnt make it in the move

fuck this, i am just gonna deal and get a new copy of win7 when i can afford it

fuk u windows

oh awesome my ip provider is back to hijacking redirects in firefox as well

super

gotta change my gateway again

what a waste of 4 hours

well the thing is like...there is all this other shit in my c drive I wanted to just get rid of as well and the reinstall i just did didn't touch those files

also my firefox had been freaking out lately and i feared I had some sort of virus because my computer was doing weird things so i wanted to wipe it all and start over from scratch

apparently that is really difficult

Download something like Gparted and boot it off a USB or burn it to a disc and reformat your hard drive. Install Windows without activating it which should allow you to install without an existing installation. When it's installed activate windows with your product key.

Also when you are doing this install you were going into the 'custom' install feature right? Not the regular install? This could explain why you are given no option to reformat within the installation process.

edited April 2012
    Is your anti virus scanner not picking this virus up? This process is a lot more complicated because you're trying to wipe a virus. A regular reformat probably won't work because data is actually not destroyed, it just marks that area as available. You need to use a more intensive reformat option which I believe Gparted has. It's called a 7 pass reformat. Writing zeros to the hard drive would also work

Sarksus on
    Is your anti virus scanner not picking this virus up? This process is a lot more complicated because you're trying to wipe a virus. A regular reformat probably won't work because data is actually not destroyed, it just marks that area as available. You need to use a more intensive reformat option which I believe Gparted has. It's called a 7 pass reformat. Writing zeros to the hard drive would also work

Man

this is quickly becoming a nightmare

let me back up and completely explain everything

I have had this computer for like 6 years. originally had xp on it, then upgraded to win7. been slowly upgrading pieces here and there over the years.

Recently my computer has been just going bonkers- clicking links in firefox wouldn't work, it would hang up on startup, refuse to connect to the internet, randomly disable my firewalls and then re-enable them later, it would crash when I tried to do disk checks and would freeze up when I tried to defragment

Since a few months back panda antivirus said I had some virus that it apparently took care of, I assumed the worst and tried to keep my usage down until I got something to backup my files and then I would just start the whole shebang over

So I bought an external drive and now here we are

I did the reinstall and now my computer is behaving worse- my resolution and display is all fucked up, firefox keeps crashing, and i have all this extra baggage now.

ugh

Is Panda some kind of weird Antivirus academicals use. Get Microsoft Security Essentials.

Anyway, when you start the installation does it give you a screen where it asks if it's an upgrade or a custom install? You want to do the custom install.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What on earth is Steven Tyler these days.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.