As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    I got humbled today on the racquetball court by a bunch of old men.

Playing doubles with three other people on the court is insane. At least I didn't hit anybody with the ball this time.

At first I was thinking "Is it really your fault if they don't get out of the way or hit the ball?" Then I figured you have hit someone in the back. I'd be pissed if I went to play Raquetball with a stranger and the asshole pegged me in the back with the ball, lmfao.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Slider wrote: »
    I got humbled today on the racquetball court by a bunch of old men.

Playing doubles with three other people on the court is insane. At least I didn't hit anybody with the ball this time.

At first I was thinking "Is it really your fault if they don't get out of the way or hit the ball?" Then I figured you have hit someone in the back. I'd be pissed if I went to play Raquetball with a stranger and the asshole pegged me in the back with the ball, lmfao.

A few weeks ago, I played a "cutthroat" game of racquetball and hit this one guy 2-3 times. One time I nailed him pretty good in the head. I haven't seen him since.

Anyway. Had a decent bi/tri workout today. Guns are lookin' pretty good. I have switched to uber high rep sets. It's tough, but I have already noticed improvement.

...I'm at the gym right now....damn this female training has a fucking NICE ASS! ...she keeps walking passed me...in those tight, black stretchy pants...

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Don't do any shrugs for a minute or two.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    omg ban slider

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Who the fuck browses the Internet while at the gym

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Probably on his phone.

Anyway I picked up my Body Fortress Whey Protein today, should last me a couple of months.

Edit: Quick question about breathing. I know for deadlifting I should be holding my breath during the lift and let it out once I set the bar back down. But what about other types of lifts?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

Probably on his phone.

Anyway I picked up my Body Fortress Whey Protein today, should last me a couple of months.

Edit: Quick question about breathing. I know for deadlifting I should be holding my breath during the lift and let it out once I set the bar back down. But what about other types of lifts?

Phones stay in lockers

As for breathing, hold your breath during other lifts too. It's called the Valsalva Maneuver and you do it to stiffen your core.

Steam ID
  • Options

Probably on his phone.

Phones stay in lockers

As for breathing, hold your breath during other lifts too. It's called the Valsalva Maneuver and you do it to stiffen your core.

I had a feeling my 'buddy' was being fucking dumb again. "grumblegrumblemightburstalunggrumble" Seriously? It's hard to believe this guy used to lift weights.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Google, and everybody else, is giving me conflicting advice.

Should I work out while sick? It isn't infectious, I've got tonsilitis and a bit of a fever and it is getting better. Feels shit not to exercise but I'm a bit tired, really don't know what to do.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is what I've heard. People who know what they're talking about, like doctors and that sort of thing say don't exercise and rest when you're sick.

People who are macho dickbags and also stupid say don't be a pussy and work out when you're sick.

Schide on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Schide wrote: »
    This is what I've heard. People who know what they're talking about, like doctors and that sort of thing say don't exercise and rest when you're sick.

People who are macho dickbags and also stupid say don't be a pussy and work out when you're sick.

cite please

Unless there is a study saying one is better than the other just do what you want. Not training isn't going to boost your recovery speed greatly, nor will skipping a few days destroy your progress in the long run.

The difference in advice probably comes from the difference in perspective on what's important, not on what the evidence supports, if there have even been any studies on it.
    I haven't seen any.

In conclusion; whatever

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »
    Google, and everybody else, is giving me conflicting advice.

Should I work out while sick? It isn't infectious, I've got tonsilitis and a bit of a fever and it is getting better. Feels shit not to exercise but I'm a bit tired, really don't know what to do.

Just rest. It's what I would do, and I know what it's like to be ready to go fuck shit up in the weight room or whatever, and have to sit out. You aren't going to workout and fix your tonsilitis. Just rest easy, and get back to it once you're over.

Seriously.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. Wait until you're better. I had to take two weeks off from the flu and it fucking sucked but not as much as burning myself out and getting the fucking flu again would have.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fucking double fucking post...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fucking I agree with Tube. I'm not a fucking doctor OR an experienced fucking lifter, but surely trying to lift heavy fucking weights when your fucking body is fending off sickness isn't going to be fucking beneficial to the weight lifting or the fucking recovery from sickness. That's just common fucking sense.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Are you drunk christopher

• Options
    Drink posting?

NEVER!

maybe

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    also if you are the type of sick that can get other people sick

dont be a dick and go to a gym and infect equipment that other people use and get them sick.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Working out while you're sick just lengthens the amount of time that you're sick.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nogs wrote: »
    also if you are the type of sick that can get other people sick

dont be a dick and go to a gym and infect equipment that other people use and get them sick.

Edi: never mind you said that

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Put the bench together today, least my friend is competent enough to help me put it together. It'll work out well, I left the leg curl attachment off for now however since I'm not doing any kind of workout that requires them. It also got in the way and seemed to threaten my wang both getting on and off the bench.

The rack adjusts up to 50", should be just enough to allow me to squat. I did some practice getting the bar off and on correctly, the biggest issue is making sure I'm far enough forward to have it on my shoulders and not my neck. The bench pad adjusts high enough to allow me more room though which helps.

• Options
    If you're going to try to squat from a bench rack like that, be very careful. It's not really what that part is designed for, but I know it's still workable. Just be sure to keep the weight down, and be very sure that you know the bar is on the rack before you let go.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Thankfully my actual room mate, who isn't an idiot and is actually exercising too, can spot for me to make sure I get it. I help him use the stop watch on his phone for his running, he makes sure I don't miss the rack and tip over and thump my head open, seems like a fair trade.

Arthil on
  • Options
    So, if I'm deadlifting the bar to get it into shrug position, does that mean I can list one set of 1xdeadlifts for every set of shrugs I do. Because that only seems fair.

And now I know I can at least do a max of 275.

• Options
    Since you seem to be a bit knowledge about this @Schide , answer me this. Getting the bar off of the rack with it about at my chest when fully extended. Is that still safer as long as I have a spotter for when I rack it back up, then having to first power clean, then half-lift the bar over and behind my head to get it on my shoulders?

• Options
    For squats? I think that's what I do, and there's less risk for injury, or at least straining yourself than trying to power it onto your shoulders from the floor or something.

Honestly I'm far, far, from the most qualified person to answer those sorts of questions though.

• Options
    I should have a spotter anyway, it's just safe lifting practice.

A good bench though, not the most expensive one I was looking at but it will be sturdy enough. There is one little niggling thing that I spotted in the manual which, what do ya know, wasn't listed on Amazon. It says maximum user weight limit is 300 lbs, however if the total weight limit is 600 lbs I don't think it should be a problem.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Since you seem to be a bit knowledge about this @Schide , answer me this. Getting the bar off of the rack with it about at my chest when fully extended. Is that still safer as long as I have a spotter for when I rack it back up, then having to first power clean, then half-lift the bar over and behind my head to get it on my shoulders?

If you're asking whether it is safer to unrack the bar from chest height using your shoulders than it is to clean it to the shoulders, press it overhead and then into a rack position - yes it is. Safer and just all around better. It is important that your setup onto your shoulders is tight and stable. Lowering the bar from overhead won't do this well.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Badger, I'll be better off than I was before then. Only thing I need now is a shake mixer cup, since otherwise I'm left stirring my protein powder for what feels like an eternity. And then it still isn't all the way mixed in.

Would probably mix better with milk but, eh, we don't drink skim here.

Edit: On a topic I've been looking into, obviously not yet cause my weight isn't heavy enough. But is progressing my weight during the exercise a requirement once I'm lifting into a heavier weight range? From what it sounds like I'd do something like 3x5 of 30 lbs, then 40, then 50, and finally as an example 60 for my top weight. Is this something I should worry about doing with the Starting Strength routine, or is it only for more intensive programs?

Arthil on
  • Options
    You keep saying you're doing starting strength but it really does not seem like you've read starting strength

I'd recommend reading starting strength

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    No I have not actually gotten the book in my hand and read it, would love to have it for easy reference though.

Admittedly you could have answered with a simple yes or no. I know I've not been adding weight every workout as I'm meant to, but that was mainly because I didn't even have a bench and as I mention above I was having to clean the bar and then half-press it over my head to get into a squatting position.

Next week I figure I'll start as close to what I was doing before as I can, my bar has actual weight unlike my old one about 18 lbs I think so I need enough weight for it to be close to 35. But then I'll bump it up five pounds Wednesday, and another Friday.

Arthil on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Badger, I'll be better off than I was before then. Only thing I need now is a shake mixer cup, since otherwise I'm left stirring my protein powder for what feels like an eternity. And then it still isn't all the way mixed in.

Edit: On a topic I've been looking into, obviously not yet cause my weight isn't heavy enough. But is progressing my weight during the exercise a requirement once I'm lifting into a heavier weight range? From what it sounds like I'd do something like 3x5 of 30 lbs, then 40, then 50, and finally as an example 60 for my top weight. Is this something I should worry about doing with the Starting Strength routine, or is it only for more intensive programs?

If you're talking about warmups, here's an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWyzQPqnP1wcGxsU1FwNlpITmFBcUZGcHBESXVfSkE&hl=en#gid=0

Although the SS wiki is not the book, and not affiliated with Rippetoe, you should at least go through that if you haven't even read the book yet.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Candlemass wrote: »

If you're talking about warmups, here's an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWyzQPqnP1wcGxsU1FwNlpITmFBcUZGcHBESXVfSkE&hl=en#gid=0

Although the SS wiki is not the book, and not affiliated with Rippetoe, you should at least go through that if you haven't even read the book yet.

That puts it into better perspective. 4 warm up lifts leading up to the 5th working set, starting at 2x5 on the first warm up then 1x5-1x2 onward except for the Deadlift. But here's the important thing at the moment, I'm not dealing with very heavy weights right now and I just don't know whether or not I should be going with all the warm ups. Though I think doing at least a set with just the bar would help since it weighs 18 lbs on its own.

• Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Candlemass wrote: »

That puts it into better perspective. 4 warm up lifts leading up to the 5th working set, starting at 2x5 on the first warm up then 1x5-1x2 onward except for the Deadlift. But here's the important thing at the moment, I'm not dealing with very heavy weights right now and I just don't know whether or not I should be going with all the warm ups. Though I think doing at least a set with just the bar would help since it weighs 18 lbs on its own.

It might not be much, so it may not be that important. On the other hand, this is the time where you need to get form down or else you'll just end up finding yourself back at the starting point down the line as you try to fix what's wrong. With the warmups, I'd worry less about the exact weights , as the jumps can be small, and more about just doing more reps. The better you get the basics down the better things will go.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Thankfully these three weeks have let me try to focus on my form, though I'll have my roomie get a video of me with his phone doing them all possibly with no weight and just the bar, just to see what my general form looks like.

I've got to adjust here and there since I've got really wide shoulders, and I think my arms are a little long. The only thing I feel I'm not doing quite right are the deadlifts and power cleans, maybe I'm not actually bending as much as I think I am but it almost feels like I'm crouching down but of course not with a rounded back.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Blurgh public holidays suck. So many people. Weights and bars fucking everywhere.

• Options
    Ready for tomorrow, though I'm wondering if I should jump myself right up to 40 lbs or do at least one workout at 35 lbs to get a feel for the new bar. It's got a knurled hand grip unlike my old one. I'll see how it goes, gotta use different plates anyway since this one actually has weight to it on its own which sounds perfect for warming up.

There's an Easter basket full of crap in the living room, mocking me.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I'm just going for a jog instead, the gym will either be closed or packed

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Ready for tomorrow, though I'm wondering if I should jump myself right up to 40 lbs or do at least one workout at 35 lbs to get a feel for the new bar. It's got a knurled hand grip unlike my old one. I'll see how it goes, gotta use different plates anyway since this one actually has weight to it on its own which sounds perfect for warming up.

There's an Easter basket full of crap in the living room, mocking me.

This may seem harsh to the person that gave it to you, but just throw it away.

And I just want to chime in on the sick thing. I would never workout if I was running a temperature/fever. I have worked out while "sick" many times though and it only ever seemed to help.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    big l wrote: »
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Notice how your hips move about two inches when you initiate the pull, before the bar starts moving? It looks like in an effort the squeeze your chest forward, you drop the hips to a position that puts the bar forward of your midfoot. Set the bar up an inch in front of your shins, and don't let it move during your set up.

That's the only minor problem I can see. I find that when I start my hips too low, I don't have as solid lumbar position. Something about tugging the bar backwards to get it over the midfoot messes with a nice flat back for me.

Nice pull!

His form is fine and the bar isn't moving before he pulls. Moving the hips necessarily doesn't change the relationship between the bar and the foot. The foot obviously stays where it is and some people move the bar, but watch it and you can see the bar doesn't move. Some people lose their lumbar curve if their hips are too low but T_B isn't. His starting position is just fine. Frankly I'd like to see a heavier weight forcing his upper back to round just a little while coming off the floor. If you aren't rounding your upper back just a little off the floor, the weight isn't heavy enough in my book, especially for healthy young men like T_B. The lift didn't look very challenging.

Woop, gotta bring this back from the dead. You're right about the bar not moving forward as he drops his hips. But if you watch the video again, and pause at 20 seconds, then pause as soon as the bar starts moving, you'll see his hips have lifted a few inches. This is because the initial low hip position puts his scapula behind the bar, and his arms vertical, but the bar won't move unless the scapula are directly over the bar, and the arms lightly angled. Slightly tweeking his initial position will make the pull seem shorter.

This discussion has been closed.