As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    without bleached bone my world comes unraveled.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    How is the comparison? Darker, lighter, yellowish tint?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Need bleached bone? Try Menoth White Base or Highlight in the P3 range. It's pretty close. I think you're looking for Base.

makosig.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Menoth White Base is a very good Bleached Bone substitute.

But I only use grim dark paints.

Wussy P3 paints will mess with my army's ki.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just picked up Upshati Bone, which GeeDub says is the same as Bleached Bone. It's not.

It is a very noticible difference in color. Why GeeDub! Why?!
    Matrias wrote: »
    without bleached bone my world comes unraveled.

I think Screaming Skull might be a better match just from looking through the bottles but I haven't tested that. Probably make a decent highlight for Ushabti Bone too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Equivalency charts do not mean 'these are the same colors'

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I started trying to put together a 1,000 point list (still haven't played a game) to fight a friend of mine's Tau and...holy shit this is confusing. Not just confusing but these Codex's are convoluted! Why the hell do I have to flip back and forth so much to figure anything out? Would it have been too much trouble to print the point values of a unit on the same page as the unit's description? I ended up writing the numbers in myself. This has been a very disheartening experience. It almost seems like the writers of the Eldar codex went out of their way to make it a pain in the ass. I hope newer codexs are more convenient.

But anyway here is the list I came up with.
    HQ
    Autarch: 120
    (Wings, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Fusion Gun)

Troops total = 417
    10 x Guardians: 120
    Eldar Missile Launcher

10 x Guardians: 105
    Shuriken Cannon

8 x Pathfinders: 192

Elites total = 341
    6 x Fire Dragons: 223
    (Exarch and Wave Serpent w/ twin-linked scatter lasers)

6 x Striking Scorpions: 118
    Exarch Biting Blade, Shadowstrike

Fast Attack
    3 x Shining Spears: 117

total = 995

My idea is to sneak in with Scorpions on whatever I deam needs to die in round one. Send the Fire Dragons and Shining Spears after tanks/broadsides. Let the Guardians hold objectives. Have the Pathfinders pin what they can. Let the Autarch jump around like the free spirit he is.

I'm sure it is a crap list but I built it using only units I all ready own (besides Dragons but those are my next purchase). I would love some help but I've never even played a game (of any table top) so you might have to explain it to me like I'm a six year old.

My Collection, btw
    Painted
    Striking Scropions x6
    Rangers x 6
    Dark Reapers x5
    War Walker

WIP
    Guardians x10

Untouched
    Dire Avengers x5
    Wave Serpent
    Rangers x3 (gift)
    Wraithlord
    Shining Spears
    Farseer and Warlock Bodyguards

Accualt on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just finished the PAX 40k tournament. It was a really good time.

Law showed up right as I finished my first game and hung out for the next two. He witnessed some crazy shit that happened in my games.

Long story short, I went 2-1 and placed 3rd overall!

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    HQ

Troops total = 417
    Eldar Missile Launcher

Shuriken Cannon 5

Elites total = 341

Striking Scorpions: 118

Fast Attack
    Shining Spears: 117

total = 995

I'm not getting the same points you are. :) I'm totaling 942.

why are you smelling it?
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    So I started trying to put together a 1,000 point list (still haven't played a game) to fight a friend of mine's Tau and...holy shit this is confusing. Not just confusing but these Codex's are convoluted! Why the hell do I have to flip back and forth so much to figure anything out? Would it have been too much trouble to print the point values of a unit on the same page as the unit's description? I ended up writing the numbers in myself. This has been a very disheartening experience. It almost seems like the writers of the Eldar codex went out of their way to make it a pain in the ass. I hope newer codexs are more convenient.

HQ

Troops total = 417
    Eldar Missile Launcher

Shuriken Cannon

Elites total = 341

6 x Striking Scorpions: 118

Fast Attack
    3 x Shining Spears: 117

total = 995

My idea is to sneak in with Scorpions on whatever I deam needs to die in round one. Send the Fire Dragons and Shining Spears after tanks/broadsides. Let the Guardians hold objectives. Have the Pathfinders pin what they can. Let the Autarch jump around like the free spirit he is.

I'm sure it is a crap list but I built it using only units I all ready own (besides Dragons but those are my next purchase). I would love some help but I've never even played a game (of any table top) so you might have to explain it to me like I'm a six year old.

My Collection, btw
    Painted
    Striking Scropions x6
    Rangers x 6
    Dark Reapers x5
    War Walker

WIP
    Guardians x10

Untouched
    Dire Avengers x5
    Wave Serpent
    Rangers x3 (gift)
    Wraithlord
    Shining Spears
    Farseer and Warlock Bodyguards

I think It's a good start, but there are some things that I would suggest changing.

The first is the HQ. The Autarch jumping around on his own will just get him killed. He is T3 and even though he has good saves, he'll die pretty easily to concentrated fire, probably without getting in range of his Fusion Gun. In this case I'd swap him out for the Avatar. The Avatar is about the most durable thing in the Eldar list. He'll soak a lot of fire, keep the Guardians in line, provide a melta gun and also a serious CC threat, something which the rest of your army lacks.

I'd also drop the pathfinder upgrade on the Rangers. Or else drop the unit size. They're getting monstrously expensive and I find they don't often effect the game as much as I'd like. You'll need an extra 35 points to upgrade the Autarch to the Avatar, so this would be a good place to free up points.

Do you have upgrades on any of your other units? Find the points to give the Wave Serpent Spirit Stones if it doesn't already ahve them. Its job is to deliver the Dragons so you need to keep it moving. I'd put a Claw on the Scorpion Exarch to give them some punch. Warlock with singing spears adds some pretty potent anti tank too.

I'd run something like this:

6 Scorpions, inc Exarch with Claw, Shadowstrike
    6 Fire Dragons, inc Exarch with Dragon's Breath Flamer
    -Wave Serpent with Spirit Stones & TL Scatter Lasers

10 Guardians, Missile Launchers, Warlock, Singing Spear, Conceal
    10 Guardians, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock, Singing Spear
    5 Rangers

3 Shining Spears

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Friends don't let friends play craftworld Eldar.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    SJ, I like you and think you are a cool dude. But I will cut you.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    SJ just loves Tau too much.
    They are his favourite.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    They are his favourite.

Actually SJ's Tau now belong to my fat friend Dank.

Dank loves those Tau.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    SJ sold his Tau so he'd have an excuse to buy more.
    That is how much he loves the Tau

The Tau are pretty rad, and, like the Eldar, will hopefully actually be rad whenever they get a new book.

God I hate GWs book release schedule so fucking much

I think the last time Tau got a codex I wasn't even playing 40k. It was during my wilderness years.

I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoy playing against Tau, at least thematically. The game's are typically at least interesting for the first few turns, but Tau just fall apart after turn 4 or so. It's sad :(

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    At my FLGS there is a Tau player who frequents the shop that is just so upbeat and friendly that I can't help but play him, even though every game his army just falls apart unless his railguns get super lucky turn 1. He remains excited and happy, even as his troops fall around him.

If only there were more people like that, for more armies.

I wish people didn't have to be like that, and GW would put more than a half assed effort into balancing their rules and modernizing their release schedule.

• Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    After tonight I am convinced I need the recipe to Gabes Doom Hammets, also thanks for the game Gabe and Keenbean

Ziac45 on
    edited April 2012
    I started construction of a count-as Canis Wolfborn model.

I call it the Gingerwolf.

(I basically want to see what my red hair method would look like as fur. I suspect it will look bad, but I want to try.)

Matrias on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    At my FLGS there is a Tau player who frequents the shop that is just so upbeat and friendly that I can't help but play him, even though every game his army just falls apart unless his railguns get super lucky turn 1. He remains excited and happy, even as his troops fall around him.

If only there were more people like that, for more armies.

I haven't seen people not like that.

None of my friends take the game so serious that they start getting pissed when theyre losing. Usual reaction is to grab another beer have a laugh.

Matrias wrote: »
    I started construction of a count-as Canis Wolfborn model.

I call it the Gingerwolf.

(I basically want to see what my red hair method would look like as fur. I suspect it will look bad, but I want to try.)

Ginger Snaps?

• Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    I've encountered people who are surprised as hell to see me laughing as my armies die and crumble. Some of them even think I can't have fun unless I am losing!

• karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Also went 2-1 and tied for 5th. There are a few nice armies here. I may be ready for a big game this afternoon.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    They are his favourite.

Actually SJ's Tau now belong to my fat friend Dank.

Dank loves those Tau.

They've gone a long way from my closet in Clearwater, FL :P Those Tau are traveling the wooooorld

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Did anyone see FFg is doing a Imperial Guard Rpg?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think I have to get it just for the hilarious art in the article. Particularly the guy in the bottom right of the second pic…

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    After tonight I am convinced I need the recipe to Gabes Doom Hammets, also thanks for the game Gabe and Keenbean

I don't think that's a good idea, because you were obviously sneaking Doomhammers into my dreads nutrient lines, given how they were shooting.

The breakdown - 2k points, Ziac's nids vs 2k of marines - 1500 points worth of my six dread vanilla marine list, and 500 points of Keenbean's Blood Ravens. Dawn of War deployment, managed to kill the flyrant that deployed at the table's halfway line, failed to kill the two genestealer squads accompanying him. Shooting was so bad, that by the end of the game we'd only netted three KP - the flyrant, and two squads of raveners, with only my bike mounted Master of the Forge and Keenbean's rhino with a squad of tac marines in it remaining, running as hard as they could around the board to keep from getting et.

• Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Friends don't let friends play craftworld Eldar.

But what if your wife gets you a Craftworld Eldar army as a gift?

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So the Necron Comound dry paint worked perfectly on the mesh grating I wanted to use it on.

The Snot Green vs Warpstone Green is strange. I think the colors match pretty well. The Warpstone was thinner, like it didn't need to be watered down. This is one coat of each paint.

Snot%2520vs%2520Warp.jpg

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    The Tau are pretty rad, and, like the Eldar, will hopefully actually be rad whenever they get a new book.

Does that even matter? Play the game enjoy it whether you win or lose.

Ziac45 wrote: »

I don't think that's a good idea, because you were obviously sneaking Doomhammers into my dreads nutrient lines, given how they were shooting.

The breakdown - 2k points, Ziac's nids vs 2k of marines - 1500 points worth of my six dread vanilla marine list, and 500 points of Keenbean's Blood Ravens. Dawn of War deployment, managed to kill the flyrant that deployed at the table's halfway line, failed to kill the two genestealer squads accompanying him. Shooting was so bad, that by the end of the game we'd only netted three KP - the flyrant, and two squads of raveners, with only my bike mounted Master of the Forge and Keenbean's rhino with a squad of tac marines in it remaining, running as hard as they could around the board to keep from getting et.

Dawn of War Worked out much better for my army then it did for you guys. My carnifexes did surprisingly well for how bad they are.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    So the Necron Comound dry paint worked perfectly on the mesh grating I wanted to use it on.

The Snot Green vs Warpstone Green is strange. I think the colors match pretty well. The Warpstone was thinner, like it didn't need to be watered down. This is one coat of each paint.

Snot%2520vs%2520Warp.jpg

From that pic, it looks like they're essentially identical over black, but the warp pot definitely looks a little lighter or has a hint more blue in it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Did anyone see FFg is doing a Imperial Guard Rpg?

This is going to be a very thin book. Also, either very short campaigns, or a lot of "Jim Bob is replaced by his near identical cousin Joe Bob," because you will die often.

DO3O00C.png
    edited April 2012
    Lezta wrote: »

Not being arbitarily fucked over by the things you like to do in your freetime is actually a pretty nice thing. I can enjoy games even though I'm losing because I'm having fun playing the game, but losing a game simply because of GWs outdated business practices is not okay.

I'm just gonna say right now: fuck anyone who thinks that I don't enjoy the game even if I'm not winning because that is not, nor has it ever been, an issue. I lose at Warmachine all the time and I know for damn sure every time that it's because of a choice that I made (or didn't make (also sometimes dice, but variance happens, whatever)), not because I have to wrestle with my units being costed for a 10 year old rules set that isn't in play anymore.

SJ on
    Lezta wrote: »

Not being arbitarily fucked over by the things you like to do in your freetime is actually a pretty nice thing. I can enjoy games even though I'm losing because I'm having fun playing the game, but losing a game simply because of GWs outdated business practices is not okay.

I'm just gonna say right now: fuck anyone who thinks that I don't enjoy the game even if I'm not winning because that is not, nor has it ever been, an issue. I lose at Warmachine all the time and I know for damn sure every time that it's because of a choice that I made (or didn't make (also sometimes dice, but variance happens, whatever)), not because I have to wrestle with my units being costed for a 10 year old rules set that isn't in play anymore.

That is something I hear a lot with Warmachine, if people lose they solidly feel it is their fault as opposed to blaming the company. I'm not sure if that's because the rules are tighter or books better balanced or what. However unless your playing jackasses you don't have to worry too much about codex balance. One of my frequent opponents plays Grey Knights and It's always a pretty close game despite me fielding nids, or another sub par army. Enjoyment comes down more to the players then old rules.

edited April 2012
    Yeah, 'nids is not a sub-par army as long as you stay away from certain bad options. It's not a good book, but the good units that it has are legitimately good units.

That's something entirely different than looking at how much Bright Lances cost the eldar. I mean holy shit dem point costs. Army building is important in any miniature game, and when you're starting off behind it's just that much harder for you once you're at the table.

SJ on
This discussion has been closed.