As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Dux wrote: »
    DA2 was better than DA:O.

DA:O was just a chore to play.

the combat was probably more fun if you were some sort of baldur's gate fetishist

I love Baldur's Gate and the combat in DA: Origins was barely anything like it beyond "dude with swords"

Smacking stuff with weapons was better.

Magic sucked in comparison between the two.

the Origins rule-set was pretty shitty in hindsight due to being massively unbalanced with some amazing and some utterly useless abilities. And as people have said, sometimes it was a real goddamn chore to play through. Fights in DA2 were fun and almost everything worked in some way.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Honestly, DA2 kicked the ass of DA:O in tone, character writing, and gameplay. If it wasn't for the magic waves(fixed in the awesome DLCs,) and the way-overly reused areas(seriously, would it have killed them to get a level designer for non-critpath areas?) it would have been amazing.

I am, however, in the minority, since I really like how Act 3 turned out(but I'll still admit that it only makes sense if you side with the Templars. Mage-side Act 3 is crazy stupid.)

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    DA2 is ME2 with swords.

If only

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dux wrote: »
    DA2 was better than DA:O.

DA:O was just a chore to play.

the combat was probably more fun if you were some sort of baldur's gate fetishist

I love Baldur's Gate and the combat in DA: Origins was barely anything like it beyond "dude with swords"

Smacking stuff with weapons was better.

Magic sucked in comparison between the two.

the Origins rule-set was pretty shitty in hindsight due to being massively unbalanced with some amazing and some utterly useless abilities. And as people have said, sometimes it was a real goddamn chore to play through. Fights in DA2 were fun and almost everything worked in some way.

Yeah, but the only way you got to do "Something Cool" in BG2 by swinging a sword was playing a Blade (Offensive/Defensive Spin). The combat 'feel' was better in Origins because you could do "Something Cool" whenever you really wanted.

But, D&D magic is always kinda the bridge to good magic feel. Origins didn't have anything that beats it.

EDIT: Basically, I'm saying that the combat in BG2 can be a chore as well... but the game is loved by the masses. DA2 has more visceral combat... but it's in the eye of the beholder whether that is better or not.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    DA2 felt like such a grind the entire way. The waves of enemies thing was the killer. No fight ever felt satisfying because you knew, the second you killed that last guy, six more would apparate in from fucking hogwarts and you'd have to start bashing them some more. Which is a shame because the specific combat mechanics of DA2 were much improved. For all the shit they got for that stupid 'press button, receive awesome' thing they tried to spin, it's actually a great system that really dispenses with a lot of the Origins bullshit that was a holdover from its isometric roots.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    In the talk of DA:O compared to DA2, I think that the likes are a bit tweaked.

DA:O gets a lot of love because it's a really good spiritual successor to BG2. The amount of people that love that game is astounding, so DA:O get's proxy love because of it.

DA2 is ME2 with swords.

I personally prefer Origins, but I completely understand why a lot of people prefer DA2. I've just always thought that the silent majority preferred Origins because of the Baldur's Gate influence.

I would actually like to dive into that part, because it's something that always amuses me.

For quite a while, DA:O was called the modern day BG2. And on the surface, that's accurate. You have an interface that bears a resemblance to a streamlined Infinity Engine GUI, you can get an isometric view of battles (complete with glowing circles around characters), you can customize your protagonist's appearance, gender and race, and dialogue choices are presented in a list that's not voice-acted. So that's totally BG2 right? FIVE STARS!

Except all that is just makeup. It's not really BG2 where it counts: the story. DA:O has a fairly generic fantasy story of a chosen one uniting a nation to beat back Pure Evil.

BG1, on the other hand, starts with your beloved guardian dying, prompting you to search for his killer. Likewise, BG2 starts with Irenicus kidnapping and torturing you and your companions; and when you finally escape, Imoen gets taken to Spellhold, and it's up to you to rescue her. Initially, your concern for the rest of the world is motivated by how the people you help can further your personal quest. In both BG1 and BG2, this set-up forces the player to become involved in the events happening in the world, which eventually makes you a crucial player in deciding the future of entire countries. You aren't just thrown in to a large-scale conflict at the start. You build up to it. Sound familiar?

DA:O may have BG's mechanics, but DA2 has it's soul.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stilts wrote: »
    In the talk of DA:O compared to DA2, I think that the likes are a bit tweaked.

DA:O gets a lot of love because it's a really good spiritual successor to BG2. The amount of people that love that game is astounding, so DA:O get's proxy love because of it.

DA2 is ME2 with swords.

I personally prefer Origins, but I completely understand why a lot of people prefer DA2. I've just always thought that the silent majority preferred Origins because of the Baldur's Gate influence.

I would actually like to dive into that part, because it's something that always amuses me.

For quite a while, DA:O was called the modern day BG2. And on the surface, that's accurate. You have an interface that bears a resemblance to a streamlined Infinity Engine GUI, you can get an isometric view of battles (complete with glowing circles around characters), you can customize your protagonist's appearance, gender and race, and dialogue choices are presented in a list that's not voice-acted. So that's totally BG2 right? FIVE STARS!

Except all that is just makeup. It's not really BG2 where it counts: the story. DA:O has a fairly generic fantasy story of a chosen one uniting a nation to beat back Pure Evil.

BG1, on the other hand, starts with your beloved guardian dying, prompting you to search for his killer. Likewise, BG2 starts with Irenicus kidnapping and torturing you and your companions; and when you finally escape, Imoen gets taken to Spellhold, and it's up to you to rescue her. Initially, your concern for the rest of the world is motivated by how the people you help can further your personal quest. In both BG1 and BG2, this set-up forces the player to become involved in the events happening in the world, which eventually makes you a crucial player in deciding the future of entire countries. You aren't just thrown in to a large-scale conflict at the start. You build up to it. Sound familiar?

DA:O may have BG's mechanics, but DA2 has it's soul.

I agree wholeheartedly. The entire reason that I personally prefer Origins is about the only thing (story and world building wise) that they got right from BG, character depth. Obviously not the Warden, as he is just a normal WRPG "dark mirror" of the player, but your party members and the amount of depth that was given to them, not just in their backstory but also in their ambiance.

Seeing Morrigan waffle over her feelings for you, or building from disdain to a brother/sister relationship with Alistair is great, and really hearkens back to what has been seemingly lost a ton in modern games. All of the characters are rife with these things... well, except the Dog on a large part...

Whereas in DA2 (for me), I only really cared about three people. Isabella, Varric, and Fenris... and Fenris just because of his voice actor (Balthier is probably my favorite character presented in a Final Fantasy since Edgar). I literally can't tell you the other party members you could have by name (other than Anders but I hate that they tried to turn him into a more lamentable character than Alistair). What, you had those four, then Iron Jaw, cute annoying elf girl, and white armor DLC guy? I think I'm missing one actually...

But yes, DA2 does the Forgotten Realms (which people mix up with BG on this point) style story better than Origins, but I contest that it doesn't do it as well as BG did, though I think that this is mostly because BG is worldspanning and DA2 is centered in Kirkwall. That there is so much of a disconnect between the two (DA2 and BG) that having a trope story for Origins, presented in the way that it was, closes the gap a bit.

EDIT: Clarification on the "DA2 is centered in Kirkwall line", much of Baldur's Gate is centered in and around, well, Baldur's Gate, but you are able to see outside of that on occasion and see the impact that all this has had elsewhere throughout Faerun. Even moreso in BG2. You don't get to see that, really, in DA2, and I think it does it a disservice.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm surprised people like DA2, I find it to be the worst game I've paid money for in the last couple of years.

Yes yes, writing is great, story is great, but it felt like a mediocre neverwinter nights mod, not a triple A RPG. The level design and encounter design are considerably worse than even the most bargain basement rpg I've ever played. The game is only tolerable if you put it on the lowest setting and essentially skip the combat because it's so effing terrible. It's a phenomenal shame because I really like Hawke and most of the characters, and it remains the only game I've paid full price for that I've never beaten (and have no desire to ever revisit).

It's like someone looked at the end of KOTOR 2 and said "hey you know what? lets do every encounter in our game just like that" and took level design inspiration from the library in halo

override367 on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Worst game I've ever payed money for...

well I guess technically I payed money to rent Superman 64 back in the day

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    GG, you obviously didn't buy Brink.

And now I'm sad.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I bought resident evil operation racoon city a couple weeks ago. yyyyyeeeaaaaah

xXNXOA7.png?1
    edited April 2012

And now I'm sad.

I didn't buy Brink

I should edit that, it's the worst game I've paid full price for since Doom 3, that needs to be emphasized, because I rarely buy games at full price. I mean I bought duke nukem forever last time it was on sale and... yikes. Actually now that I think about it, Syndicate may rate lower than DA2, I mean I beat it but it was super short and the experience was so on rails I can't see playing it again

override367 on
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Man the setting for Brink was really awesome. The art direction too. I just don't know where they went with the gameplay.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

And now I'm sad.

Fuckin' don't bring up Brink.

So much wasted potential...

And giving the good shotgun to the dude who can't fucking chase people! What is up with that!

And now I'm sad.

I had to look this up
    I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of this game

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I can't think of a game I feel bad for buying

maybe flotilla because I'm really bad at it? Titan quest wasn't great but I only spent two dollars on it so I can't really feel bad

I'd more than happily pay full price for DA2 again

2x39jD4.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

And now I'm sad.

I had to look this up
    I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of this game

Everyone but me got all up on the hype train for Brink

Then it turned out to be real bad

I played it for an hour back when it had a free weekend on steam and even I was impressed at how bad it was

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET

maybe flotilla because I'm really bad at it? Titan quest wasn't great but I only spent two dollars on it so I can't really feel bad

Flotilla is my favorite indie game ever.

I love that game so much.

Worst full price actually goes to Age of Conan upon further thought

holy shit Age of Conan... that game made me so sad

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

Man Flotilla is awesome

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    oh god

brink

0BnD8l3.gif
    Olivaw wrote: »

Man Flotilla is awesome

I would gladly buy the whole game again if that was the price for the ability to have a campaign that only ends when you do every planet.

Olivaw wrote: »

Man Flotilla is awesome

I'm just really bad at it and then after I win a fight and get a ship some penguins hopped up on meth steal it from me or I die from my plot disease

2x39jD4.jpg
    I have you all beat on bad game purchases.

Wind Waker and Enter the Matrix came out the same week in the UK. Guess which one I bought when I walked into the game store?

Literally never made it to the second disc it was so astonishingly bad. Been using it as a coaster now for about a decade.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    wind waker starts to pick up around disc three

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Seems like that'd be an exceedingly ugly coaster.

I bought Enter the Matrix but I only now realize it sucked
    Dumbass high school GG thought it was cool

So, now that we are skirting the brink (Eh? Eh? ...Aw...) of the topic, what's your guysises opinion on the best MP foursome for general purpose dealies?

4 Brogan not apply.

"Never Hit"
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I played both Brink and Age Of Conan, and while both were pretty big disappointments, they at least had enjoyable aspects to them.

I paid full price for Black & White over ten years ago and still regret doing so. Never before or since have I felt that a developer had conspired with the gaming media to pull off an elaborate troll in game form.

Isn't enter the matrix the one with the ending where the dudes who made it talk to you in like Atari-era sprite form?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Titan Quest was like a wannabe Diablo 2

Seems like that'd be an exceedingly ugly coaster.

The metal film has almost completely scratched off. It works because it's the smaller gamecube disc so its not as cumbersome. I like having it around to remind me of poor decisions.

It's just... I got caught up in the Matrix hype. The first movie was great. Don't judge me.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I played a lot of enter the matrix

also a lot of black and white

also a lot of black and white II

0BnD8l3.gif

Isn't enter the matrix the one with the ending where the dudes who made it talk to you in like Atari-era sprite form?

No, that was The Matrix: Path of Neo, which I never played

Orca wrote: »
    Titan Quest was like a wannabe Diablo 2

it was exactly wannabe diablo 2

but it at least had the good grace to change the UI elements and add a semi-novel skill system

there some new diablo clone coming out where the UI is literally cut and pasted from diablo 2

can't think of the name for the life of me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I hear the path of neo was actually alright

xmassig2.gif
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    For all the shit they got for that stupid 'press button, receive awesome' thing they tried to spin, it's actually a great system that really dispenses with a lot of the Origins bullshit that was a holdover from its isometric roots.

don't even get why people found that quote so objectionable. dolled up, you could say "all your interactions should be rewarding" or something. press button, receive something nice is what most games are

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I love both DA:O and DA2 for different reasons. DA:O had the customizable 'beefy' histories that actually had an effect waaaaay past the prologue (Some more than others, such as Human Noble vs. Dailish Elf) Engaging party members with distinct personalities, a well developed lore system, and the fact you could be an Asshole McWarden with realitively few consequences. (Return that stolen book and get warm fuzzies? Or let the thief keep it and get gold?)

DA2 had the chance to voice the Snark!Hawke, the greatest comedian in all of Thedas, never lose a party member due to "Morrigan Dissaproves" syndrome, great party banter, the ability to play a mage without having to go through that horrible DA:O prologue. (Only reason I don't like it is because I feel bad about how to deal with Jowan.), and the fact your family members/party members change personalities over time. Some for the better...and some...not. *cough*Anders*cough* Hell, I'd rather go through yet another repeatable dungeon then do the Fade ever again in DA:O.

Sure, the magic waves of enemies annoyed people, and reused dungeon maps of that calibre are a huge annoyance, I find DA2 to be a worthy, yet different successor. My biggest gripe is that due to the sucsess of ME and its carry over save, is that they half implemented it into this sequel. As much as I'm sure there would be haters, I'd rather have them say either "The Warden, who was of an undetermined Gender and Race, saved Ferelden from the Blight, and may or may not have done some other things." Or "The Warden did this and this and this, deal with it 8-) )

Nuzak wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    For all the shit they got for that stupid 'press button, receive awesome' thing they tried to spin, it's actually a great system that really dispenses with a lot of the Origins bullshit that was a holdover from its isometric roots.

don't even get why people found that quote so objectionable. dolled up, you could say "all your interactions should be rewarding" or something. press button, receive something nice is what most games are

They went a little overboard pre-release by talking almost exclusively about the action elements of the game. Which was billed as a story-driven RPG.

It segued right into the 'This is the New Shit' shit from the Origins marketing. Many felt that it represented a misunderstanding of what the diehard fans liked most about the genre.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    What they should have done was have those guys talking about how they really need the item you found on their magic phone

For the whole game

Even though years pass

xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.