As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just finished ME3 last night. God damn what a shit ending. I'm just gonna pretend I never finished it.

Homeless on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I hear the path of neo was actually alright

It was buggy and occasionally busted, but yeah, it was a fun game

I enjoyed punching dudes in that game

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so I guess I lost 99k credits.

tried relogging many times... its just gone.

of course I don't expect the same level of security in a vidja game but, can you imagine if this happened as often when buying real stuff online?

oops, tried to buy a new hdtv from amazon, got some error message, and now $3000 is gone from my credit card...

get it sorted already.

jwalk on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Homeless wrote: »
    Just finished ME3 last night. God damn what a shit ending. I'm just gonna pretend I never finished it.

they'll be releasing a free DLC that expands on some things this summer

in the mean time please enjoy the multi-player portion, which is quite good

Seriously on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

Two more days until Geth classes.

Two more days.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, so

I thought it would be fun to try and play through the Mass Effect series with my mom making all of the dialogue choices, deciding what missions to do, and so on. All I'm doing is explaining things that she doesn't understand, acting like a streamlined codex, and manning the controls for combat and leveling up. If she wants to do some of the boring side missions that have little or no choices, I'll probably set them aside and do them when she's not around since she doesn't want to watch me shit around in the mako for an hour. If there are some interesting things that are out-of-the-way I might also do them to show her.

We just got through Eden Prime. I am doubtful that I'm gonna be able to keep her attention through the whole trilogy, but it's gonna be fun until she wants to stop. So, choice moments from the first installment of MOM EFFECT:

-We tried to recreate her with the character creator, but it turned out to be impossible to find a nose that she thought suited her. She did not stop complaining about Robyn Shepard's ugly nose for the entirety of the session.

-She chose an Earthborn, Ruthless background. Surprisingly to me, she is using her background as a justification for favoring renegade dialogue options. She picked Infiltrator because she thought Dampening sounded like a really cool power when I explained it to her.

-During the text crawl at the start:

Mom: You know I hate space shit, right?
    Me: What? Oh, no I didn't. Maybe we should just quit then.
    Mom: Nah let's give it a try. They should make a cowboy one of these though so I can ride horses.

Are you listening, Bioware??? MOMS WANT SPAGHETTI WESTERN RPGS.

-During the initial conversation between Joker and Kaiden, she was under the impression that we were playing online, and they were PCs of other players that were also making dialogue choices. "That would be a way better game."

-She did not want to stop to talk to Pressley, Jenkins, or Chakwas at the start.

-I explained how Investigate trees work when the first one showed up, and she told me to skip all of them because "we have a mission to do, we don't have time to investigate shit."

-She was certain that Nihlus was up to something.

-She wasn't happy about Nihlus helping on the mission. "[Shepard] believes that she can do everything by herself!"

-She told me not to investigate Jenkins' body after he got mowed down. "He should have paid better attention."

-I paused briefly to level up. On seeing Kaiden close-up:

Mom: He's cute. Is he my boyfriend?
    Me: Well, he's not yet, but he's a romance option. You can make him your boyfriend.
    Mom: Do it. Make him hot for me.
    Me: Haha, Okay. This is especially funny because, like, everyone hates this guy.
    Mom: They're just jealous of his good looks.
    Me: Maybe you'll hate him once you get to know him! What if he's just a pretty face?
    Mom: Eh, I'm only marrying him for his money.
    Me: Hahaha, what? Uh, he's just a soldier. I don't think he has all that much mon--
    Mom: He has money.
    Me: But you outrank him! You already make more than he does.
    Mom: He's independently wealthy. His brother owned a blue-jeans factory and willed all of his money to [Kaiden,] so he choked him with a pair of his own blue-jeans to get the money. He's really a son of a bitch but everyone thinks he's a wimp. [her version of this story was even longer]

-She didn't want to let Ashley come along with her. "I don't trust her. She's going to try to steal my boyfriend."

-I made the administrative decision to do the investigate option that gives you the choice to punch Manuel. Surprisingly, she didn't take it. "He's crazy, he needs to be given some pills and put to bed."

-On seeing Saren shoot Nihlus: "That guy's ugly."

-After talking to the dockworker, she asked if it was even possible to get the beacon. She was under the impression that getting the Prothean Beacon was going to be the main goal of the game.

-During the cutscene where Saren used the Beacon I explained that that was the Beacon, just because she tends to miss details like that.

Mom: What, that square piece of shit? That's it?
    Me: Well, it's glowing. That's kind of cool, right?
    Mom: Yeah, I guess.

-Watching Kaiden get drawn into the Beacon. "Okay, my boyfriend's not too bright. Maybe I'll marry the ugly black guy [Anderson] for his money instead."

-Unfortunately nothing too juicy in the medbay scene, except she finally picked a paragon dialogue option when talking to Anderson.

Gonna try and do some Citadel Shenanigans with her later today.

Speed Racer on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    GG, you obviously didn't buy Brink.

And now I'm sad.

I had to look this up
    I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of this game

Everyone but me got all up on the hype train for Brink

Then it turned out to be real bad

I played it for an hour back when it had a free weekend on steam and even I was impressed at how bad it was

Like, the gameplay was fun! Shooting mans and free running all over the place was super satisfying.

But it was BROKEN in every way that mattered.

Online was unplayable at launch. "story" wasn't so much a story as just the multiplayer missions tied together by some lackluster cutscenes.

There just wasn't anything there!

*sob*

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    to be fair I got most of those credits farming geth on white with 3 engineers and a infiltrator so...

guess it's only karma that I lost the credits..

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I couldn't even get brink to run properly on my PC

And my PC is pretty ok at running games

xmassig2.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Speed

Your mom is amazing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Speed

Your mom is amazing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    kaiden alenko

heir to the levi's fortune

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    kaiden alenko

heir to the levi's fortune

actually, she specified that it was Calvin Klein

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ahahahah

Speed, that was fantastic.

Please give us more updates on Robyn Shepard in the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Speed, your project needs to be tumblr'd with mass effect gifs a la http://mymomwatchesgameofthrones.tumblr.com/

It will be the best.

Also your mom sounds aces.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    oh and she also thought it was stupid that no matter what you do you always get sucked into the beacon and then break it, she thinks the mission should have more outcomes

one mission in and she's already an entitled bioware fan

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for the next installment of Mom Effect

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I can't wait until she meets the other squadmates

edited April 2012
    "You're getting a lot of positive feedback"

"Heh, really?"

"Yeah, everyone's saying to keep telling them about the further adventures of Robyn Shepard"

"Robyn Shepard?"

"Well yeah, your last name's always 'Shepard' so that they can record lines where they say your name"

"I hate to break it to you, but I'm Mama Shepard."

Speed Racer on
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I can't wait until she meets the other squadmates

I hope she throws away her attraction to pretty boy kaiden and holds out for DEM MANDIBLES

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I am going to guess that she'll gonna go for wrex or tali

"You're getting a lot of positive feedback"

"Heh, really?"

"Yeah, everyone's saying to keep telling them about the further adventures of Robyn Shepard"

"Robyn Shepard?"

"Well yeah, your last name's always 'Shepard' so that they can record lines where they say your name"

"I hate to break it to you, but I'm Mama Shepard."

Your Mom

Mom of the Year, All Years

• Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty fucking awesome Speed.

Your Mom deserves a smoothie.

"Never Hit"
    oh the other good line I forgot, at the end.

"Really we should just wipe them out."

"Wipe who out?"

"Everyone. They're in my way."

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    That is a good attitude.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Homeless wrote: »

Multiplayer is quite fun. Honestly, the game was awesome up until Shep takes the
    Stupid Elevator to space child plot-hole town.

edited April 2012
    oh god evidently Shepard worked in the blue-jeans factory during her time as an orphan streetrat

along with her twin sister

who was dating Kaiden's brother, Calvin Klein Alenko VIII

Calvin willed the money to Shepard's sister, so Kaiden killed them both and falsified a new will

and then joined the Alliance to get offworld and acts sort of boring to avoid drawing attention

Shepard joined the Alliance to hunt him down and take back what's rightfully hers

"And don't think that Bacon isn't wrapped up in all of this too"

Speed Racer on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    somebody fire Mac Walters

this lady is a much better writer

xmassig2.gif
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    Speed, if you can take this through the entire trilogy it will be the best thing ever.

"Never Hit"
    oh god evidently Shepard worked in the blue-jeans factory during her time as an orphan streetrat

Calvin willed the money to Shepard's sister, so Kaiden killed them both and falsified a new will

and then joined the Alliance to get offworld and acts sort of boring to avoid drawing attention

Shepard joined the Alliance to hunt him down and take back what's rightfully hers

OK now she's just fucking with you

Speed, your project needs to be tumblr'd with mass effect gifs a la http://mymomwatchesgameofthrones.tumblr.com/

It will be the best.

Also your mom sounds aces.

someone point me to an easy-to-navigate source of mass effect gifs and I will do this

Orca wrote: »

OK now she's just fucking with you

i'm pretty sure that was clear as soon as the blue-jeans factory got involved

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mama Shep is awesome

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Hey, who wants to get in on a vanguard gold run?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

It just goes to show you you shouldn't have told her she was being observed

Schroedinger's Mom

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Hey, who wants to get in on a vanguard gold run?

Let us die gloriously.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    In the talk of DA:O compared to DA2, I think that the likes are a bit tweaked.

DA:O gets a lot of love because it's a really good spiritual successor to BG2. The amount of people that love that game is astounding, so DA:O get's proxy love because of it.

DA2 is ME2 with swords.

I personally prefer Origins, but I completely understand why a lot of people prefer DA2. I've just always thought that the silent majority preferred Origins because of the Baldur's Gate influence.

I would actually like to dive into that part, because it's something that always amuses me.

For quite a while, DA:O was called the modern day BG2. And on the surface, that's accurate. You have an interface that bears a resemblance to a streamlined Infinity Engine GUI, you can get an isometric view of battles (complete with glowing circles around characters), you can customize your protagonist's appearance, gender and race, and dialogue choices are presented in a list that's not voice-acted. So that's totally BG2 right? FIVE STARS!

Except all that is just makeup. It's not really BG2 where it counts: the story. DA:O has a fairly generic fantasy story of a chosen one uniting a nation to beat back Pure Evil.

BG1, on the other hand, starts with your beloved guardian dying, prompting you to search for his killer. Likewise, BG2 starts with Irenicus kidnapping and torturing you and your companions; and when you finally escape, Imoen gets taken to Spellhold, and it's up to you to rescue her. Initially, your concern for the rest of the world is motivated by how the people you help can further your personal quest. In both BG1 and BG2, this set-up forces the player to become involved in the events happening in the world, which eventually makes you a crucial player in deciding the future of entire countries. You aren't just thrown in to a large-scale conflict at the start. You build up to it. Sound familiar?

DA:O may have BG's mechanics, but DA2 has it's soul.

it doesn't even have BG's mechanics

it's all completely cosmetic

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Titan Quest was like a wannabe Diablo 2

it was exactly wannabe diablo 2

but it at least had the good grace to change the UI elements and add a semi-novel skill system

there some new diablo clone coming out where the UI is literally cut and pasted from diablo 2

can't think of the name for the life of me

there have been lots of those

Nox and Throne of Darkness come to mind

Nox was terrible, just FYI

edited April 2012
    Okay, so

I thought it would be fun to try and play through the Mass Effect series with my mom making all of the dialogue choices, deciding what missions to do, and so on. All I'm doing is explaining things that she doesn't understand, acting like a streamlined codex, and manning the controls for combat and leveling up. If she wants to do some of the boring side missions that have little or no choices, I'll probably set them aside and do them when she's not around since she doesn't want to watch me shit around in the mako for an hour. If there are some interesting things that are out-of-the-way I might also do them to show her.

We just got through Eden Prime. I am doubtful that I'm gonna be able to keep her attention through the whole trilogy, but it's gonna be fun until she wants to stop. So, choice moments from the first installment of MOM EFFECT:
    *snip*

good lord

your mom?

fucking awesome.

Shorty on
This discussion has been closed.