As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX 2012- Lost Connections!

maraudershieldsmaraudershields Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
I'm making this thread for anyone who's looking for people they met at PAX this year but didn't get to trade contact information :)
I'm looking for the red headed female Shepard on Friday who "punched" me while I was in Al-Jilani cosplay. She was also Eleanor/Big Sister from Bioshock on Saturday. Also looking for anyone that remembers me - I was Jill Valentine most of Friday and the latter half of Saturday as well as Lightning from FFXIII on Saturday morning.

maraudershields on

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Unfortunately, a lot of people who go to the PAX aren't on these forums, but I did see the woman who did the Big Sister cosplay at the Irrational event last night. Snapped a few pictures of her. She even won a PS Vita for her costume.

Best way to keep in touch with these people is to ask for XBL/PSN/Steam - some people might decline and it might get awkward, but I personally always say yes to all Steam requests if I hang around with you for five minutes or longer and get to know your first name. I even made two friends yesterday - apparently, these dudes lived in the same neighborhood that I did, and we all exchanged Steam IDs before we all split up for the night.

Oh, and Jill Valentine? I saw one at around 6:30PM yesterday at the BioWare booth. Perhaps you were her? I didn't get any pictures, though.

XX55XX on
  • ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    There was this one girl that grabbed me and my buddy (BLU Spy and Dovahkiin) as well as a random third guy to play Rock Band, she had black hair and sang. She said she "had no friends", explaining why she needed three others. I don't know if she was serious but I almost wanted to hang out with her for a while because of that. Any info on her?

There was this one girl that grabbed me and my buddy (BLU Spy and Dovahkiin) as well as a random third guy to play Rock Band, she had black hair and sang. She said she "had no friends", explaining why she needed three others. I don't know if she was serious but I almost wanted to hang out with her for a while because of that. Any info on her?

I can sympathize. I came without any friends myself, but a lot of strangers are pretty chill with you hanging out with them. Some of them even want you to be their friend (depending on how far away they live).

I daresay most of us will never meet these people ever again (I've met tons of people from previous PAXes that I haven't seen this year).

• ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »

I can sympathize. I came without any friends myself, but a lot of strangers are pretty chill with you hanging out with them. Some of them even want you to be their friend (depending on how far away they live).

I daresay most of us will never meet these people ever again (I've met tons of people from previous PAXes that I haven't seen this year).

Yeah, I saw myself detaching myself from the people I came with later on in the con, and had MUCH more fun making friends with strangers. I made friends with people today playing Rock Band (I am totally doing that way more next year) and she kind of rushed off afterwards so I didn't really get a chance to exchange info, but she seemed nice.

Yeah, I saw myself detaching myself from the people I came with later on in the con, and had MUCH more fun making friends with strangers. I made friends with people today playing Rock Band (I am totally doing that way more next year) and she kind of rushed off afterwards so I didn't really get a chance to exchange info, but she seemed nice.

I met this dude and his girlfriend in the Max Payne 3 line and we chatted for about an hour before it was our turn to play the game. They were really pleasant people - but I never got their first names or anything... Plus, they mentioned that they lived only a few towns away from where I lived...

• KaizoMKKaizoMK Registered User new member
    I got a good one for you:

League of Legends Cosplay Fashion show....thing. I was Jack Sparrow, aka "Jack of all Trades" Gangplank. I'm more or less looking for all the other cosplayers, among whom I remember Jax, Panth, PAX Sivir, Ashe, Shyvana, Assassin Yi, Hextech Janna, but I know there were a bunch of others.

• firedragon0781firedragon0781 VermontRegistered User regular
    It was awesome. This was my first PAX, so I didn't reaIy know what to expect. Normally I intimidate people. I have multiple tattoos (including one of Gears of War on my left ankle :) ), and I am naturally an EXTREAMLY quiet and shy person, but It was so nice being able to just chat with random people. I actually talked with one guy for awhile, Ted I think his name was (I am sooooo bad with names), up on the second floor at the Dance Central stage. It was great, didn't get his info before he had to go to a tournament.

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I wish I had the foresight to make business cards ahead of time. It would have been so useful.

In any case, today at about 5pm I gave instructions to two Philadelphia local feminines who cosplayed as Silent Hill Nurse and Pyramid Head on how to get to South Station. I later realized those directions were actually pretty ass and, worse off, I had forgotten that South Station is big and can be confusing. So I just wanted to make sure you two got to the train alright and I didn't screw your day up.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
    edited April 2012
    Train internet sucks.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    edited April 2012
    Train Internet really sucks.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    edited April 2012
    If this train Internet were a person it would be a Blowbo.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    I wish I had the foresight to make business cards ahead of time. It would have been so useful.

In any case, today at about 5pm I gave instructions to two Philadelphia local feminines who cosplayed as Silent Hill Nurse and Pyramid Head on how to get to South Station. I later realized those directions were actually pretty ass and, worse off, I had forgotten that South Station is big and can be confusing. So I just wanted to make sure you two got to the train alright and I didn't screw your day up.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Jourdy28Jourdy28 Darklord Registered User new member
    You know, maybe we should post pics?

• RygarieRygarie Registered User regular
    Heya all I am looking for a guy that I was in line with Saturday night for the concert. He was a army guardsman, artillery I believe and is also a member of 501st. I was the 10 year Navy vet with the handlebar mustache, and my miniature friend who looks like Jason Statham and is in the navy as well.

• EthrinilEthrinil Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, a lot of people who go to the PAX aren't on these forums, but I did see the woman who did the Big Sister cosplay at the Irrational event last night. Snapped a few pictures of her. She even won a PS Vita for her costume.

Best way to keep in touch with these people is to ask for XBL/PSN/Steam - some people might decline and it might get awkward, but I personally always say yes to all Steam requests if I hang around with you for five minutes or longer and get to know your first name. I even made two friends yesterday - apparently, these dudes lived in the same neighborhood that I did, and we all exchanged Steam IDs before we all split up for the night.

Oh, and Jill Valentine? I saw one at around 6:30PM yesterday at the BioWare booth. Perhaps you were her? I didn't get any pictures, though.

The girl that won the PS Vita for her costume at the irrational games event was pretty cool, I talked to her for a few minutes at that event (and maybe you too if you were there). Turns out she was attending Anime Boston this weekend and just so happened to get an invite to this event.

Ethrinil wrote: »

The girl that won the PS Vita for her costume at the irrational games event was pretty cool, I talked to her for a few minutes at that event (and maybe you too if you were there). Turns out she was attending Anime Boston this weekend and just so happened to get an invite to this event.

I spent most of my time talking with two of the Elizabeth cosplayers and some of the Irrational staffers. I was there. If you saw a kid wearing a suit and fedora, that was me.

• satyr16satyr16 Registered User regular
    I was going to say what Arcanic did (by the way, hi Josh, it's me Dovahkiin).

That girl was waiting in line by herself right behind arcanic (blue spy) who was asked to drum with some strangers. I was leaning against the wall next to the line and she asked me if she wanted me to join because she was alone. I said yes and asked Arcanic to join me as well for a full band.

I had to take my shield and gloves off to play and when the song got over I had to head over and put my things back on. I turned around and I didn't see her in sight. I was going to ask her if she wanted to chill with us. She didn't say a whole lot, she seemed shy, and I wanted her to have a fun time. She just vanished immediately after the song ended.

Also, to the guy in the red, spiked claptrap costume that I danced around with for like 20 minutes. I gave to my phone number cause we both live nearby. Granted I'm not expecting a phone call until a few more days or so, but just in case, I [Dovahkiin] am here.

One more: Before I started dancing with the Claptraps I stood on the sidelines to join. I was approached by a woman, smiling, telling me how she hated Skyrim and how it was the worst game ever made, whilst smiling. I nodded and said, "Alright, that's fine if you don't like it, not everyone does." I'm just being respectful to her opinions, I wasn't trying to tell her that she was wrong and that it's the best game ever, but whatever. The she proceeded to mention how many quest breaking glitches there were and how she couldn't do anything without a technical failure. Again, I was very respectful and tell her that I have experienced very few glitches, none were quest breaking, in my 188 hour run. But also mention that everyone else I run into has encountered these massive glitches (I guess I got lucky). She also mentioned how she was going to wear a "I Hate Bethesda" t shirt and stand in front of their booth, but didn't because they weren't there this year.
    At that point she didn't say anything else, but she was still smiling and walked away slowly. I don't know if she was trying to entice a reaction out of me or what, or if she thought I worked at Bethesda.
    If she's here, I still mean no disrespect to you, I don't care if you hate a game I like or not, it's whether or not I like it that matters, but this is supposed to be a positive event. There's a time and place for everything, but to tell a cosplayer that has dedicated so many hours in playing the game, so much money buying materials, and spending weeks making the costume for someone to essentially tell me that the game I enjoy is awful, unplayable, broken, and how you want to protest it right next to the company's booth is very unsportsmanlike. Sure you have a right to do that, but you don't have to mention it to every Bethesda based character you see.
    Like I said, I do have respect, but the way you expressed it wasn't.

• EthrinilEthrinil Registered User regular

I spent most of my time talking with two of the Elizabeth cosplayers and some of the Irrational staffers. I was there. If you saw a kid wearing a suit and fedora, that was me.

I think I have an idea of who you are... We may have talked about music composing for one of the fan made youtube movies? I was with a group of 4 other guys, I spent the night talking with them, mingling with others, and talking to a couple of the staffers (a script writer and a programmer). It was a pretty awesome party and I am really happy that i got to go.

I think I have an idea of who you are... We may have talked about music composing for one of the fan made youtube movies? I was with a group of 4 other guys, I spent the night talking with them, mingling with others, and talking to a couple of the staffers (a script writer and a programmer). It was a pretty awesome party and I am really happy that i got to go.

If it helps, I was one of the few Asian people in the room. I don't think I talked to you, though.

• LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    That is lousy. Even if I hate a game, if someone wants to put the effort into creating a costume of a character from that game, then has the balls to walk around in public in that costume, it'd be a dick move to try and tear them down. Maybe if I REALLY hated a game, I might say "I'm not a fan of X, but that is a kick ass costume!"

Unless you're one of those cosplayers who just shouldn't be cosplaying. You know who you are. Then I am going to just try and avoid you.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
    edited April 2012
    Heh, I completely forgot about Skyrim. I was reminded of it right before I left when I saw a hot bloody viking chick, though.

KaizoMK on
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If you were Canadian, you may have seen/talked to me. I was dressed as Canadaman (aka I wore a Canadian flag as a cape).

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Zak_Warner315Zak_Warner315 Registered User new member
    I was the guy with the camera, and always wore a soccer jersey. If you remember me, or we had a convo, please tell me

• absoluteMEYHEMabsoluteMEYHEM Registered User new member
    I took a picture with a Spell Thief Lux outside of the venue, I forgot to take a picture because I forgot to give my friend my phone. If you happen to see this, send me a PM! I was the Asian kid with glasses that kissed you on the cheek, haha.

I made a thread about this, but it's probably in the depths of the forum.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    KaizoMK wrote: »

League of Legends Cosplay Fashion show....thing. I was Jack Sparrow, aka "Jack of all Trades" Gangplank. I'm more or less looking for all the other cosplayers, among whom I remember Jax, Panth, PAX Sivir, Ashe, Shyvana, Assassin Yi, Hextech Janna, but I know there were a bunch of others.

I was one of the Hextech Janna's on the floor - Here
    IMG_1174.jpg

Would LOVE any photos of Garen!! PM me please - b/c I don't have any

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    ishtra wrote: »
    KaizoMK wrote: »

I was one of the Hextech Janna's on the floor - Here
    IMG_1174.jpg

Would LOVE any photos of Garen!! PM me please - b/c I don't have any

There was a GAREN?!?! I want pics too. :D

• DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    non creepy

Dangeresquetoo on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    hey guys...

Lets keep this non creepy ok?

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    Isaac/Prince of Persia - I avenged your death at the hands of Toon Link. :D

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    hey guys...

Lets keep this non creepy ok?

I don't think this is the type of thread that can ever be fully kept in the realm of non creepy... oh well just my $.02

• MessiahCareyMessiahCarey Northeast USRegistered User regular
    satyr16 wrote: »
    One more: Before I started dancing with the Claptraps I stood on the sidelines to join. I was approached by a woman, smiling, telling me how she hated Skyrim and how it was the worst game ever made, whilst smiling.

Seems like she needed an excuse to talk to you, but didn't want to front like she dug the game!
    At that point she didn't say anything else, but she was still smiling and walked away slowly. I don't know if she was trying to entice a reaction out of me or what, or if she thought I worked at Bethesda.

Um...that's the universal signal for "I want to talk to you...I've put my cards on the table, do you care to engage me in a spirited discussion about this through which we can get to know each other better?" hehe
    There's a time and place for everything, but to tell a cosplayer that has dedicated so many hours in playing the game, so much money buying materials, and spending weeks making the costume for someone to essentially tell me that the game I enjoy is awful, unplayable, broken, and how you want to protest it right next to the company's booth is very unsportsmanlike. Sure you have a right to do that, but you don't have to mention it to every Bethesda based character you see.

Really? Did she insult YOU or YOUR COSTUME or just the game?

Maybe I'm not reading your description right, but it occurs to me like you've just unlocked the "Oblivious to Flirting" Achievement. :)

satyr16 wrote: »
    One more: Before I started dancing with the Claptraps I stood on the sidelines to join. I was approached by a woman, smiling, telling me how she hated Skyrim and how it was the worst game ever made, whilst smiling.

Seems like she needed an excuse to talk to you, but didn't want to front like she dug the game!

Um...that's the universal signal for "I want to talk to you...I've put my cards on the table, do you care to engage me in a spirited discussion about this through which we can get to know each other better?" hehe
    There's a time and place for everything, but to tell a cosplayer that has dedicated so many hours in playing the game, so much money buying materials, and spending weeks making the costume for someone to essentially tell me that the game I enjoy is awful, unplayable, broken, and how you want to protest it right next to the company's booth is very unsportsmanlike. Sure you have a right to do that, but you don't have to mention it to every Bethesda based character you see.

Really? Did she insult YOU or YOUR COSTUME or just the game?

Maybe I'm not reading your description right, but it occurs to me like you've just unlocked the "Oblivious to Flirting" Achievement. :)

Even if she wanted to talk to him, there are many better ways to do it. The guy is obviously passionate enough about the game that he put together a costume for it, and from the sounds of it the costume was pretty good and thus required time and effort. You don't easily make friends by going up to them and saying "You know that thing you really like? Yeah, turns out it sucks".

If she wanted to start a discussion, the better route would have been to compliment his costume, and then confess that she didn't really like Skyrim. It's possible for two people to disagree and have an awesome conversation. In fact, that can make for the best ones, as she can say "here's what I didn't like. How did you approach these issues? Did you run into any of this?" So on and so forth. It could be that he'd then address those things and discuss what he really enjoyed, and you'd find that maybe they just had different play styles.

Flirting may consist of playing hard to get, but insulting someone's interests is not playing hard to get. It's insulting someone's interests. So I'd think, if she were flirting, she got the "Doesn't get flirting" achievement or some such.

That said, I hate Bethesda myself, so I kind of wish I was there to meet her, even if I disagree with her methods.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    Looking for the group of people I played the DnDNext beta test. My phone had died and I was unable to take a picture of the portrait someone had drawn. P.S. I was the Dickromancer at the table.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • MessiahCareyMessiahCarey Northeast USRegistered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    If she wanted to start a discussion, the better route would have been to compliment his costume, and then confess that she didn't really like Skyrim. It's possible for two people to disagree and have an awesome conversation.

Oh, totally. Satyr didn't mention anything about this, though. I sort of took an absence of an insult re: the costume to be implied approval. My hunch is that if she actually SAID the costume was bad the OP would have mentioned it.
    Flirting may consist of playing hard to get, but insulting someone's interests is not playing hard to get. It's insulting someone's interests. So I'd think, if she were flirting, she got the "Doesn't get flirting" achievement or some such.

Agreed. They're not mutually exclusive achievement, methinks.

So yeah, her approach was a bit weird but I bet they coulda been friends! :)

• spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    i played some Miskatonic saturday night and meant to get a free hug from the free hug lady we were playing with. but then i went to bed because i'm tired.

• The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    How does one search for users on this site? I know the person's username on here, but I is noob and I don't know how to search users on this site.

• fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    The Cannon wrote: »
    How does one search for users on this site? I know the person's username on here, but I is noob and I don't know how to search users on this site.

Try: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/fyeahcking -- just, obviously your friend's name at the end of the URL instead of mine.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    these threads pretty much always end up creepy, so I'm just going to lock it now

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.