As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm. The cash shop doesn't seem to get you anything useful. I think they've taken "not being pay to win" too far.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's just for the closed beta. They'll add more for open beta.
    As a test of our microtransaction system, we’re initially offering two small purchases:
    Extra Stash Tab (30 Points): Your quota of stash tabs is increased in all leagues. The number of stash tabs is not reset when we enter Open Beta.
    Extra Character Slot (30 Points)

At Open Beta, we will have a range of different microtransactions for sale, including many of the following:
    Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
    Cosmetic pets
    Alternate skill effects
    Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
    Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
    Guild storage
    Alternate item skins and visual effects
    Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
    Item dyes

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yes, I was looking at the full list.

So, maybe the alternate skill effects will be worthwhile? The rest is kind of worthless in a game where you barely see other players.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

So, maybe the alternate skill effects will be worthwhile? The rest is kind of worthless in a game where you barely see other players.

I can see many players making PvP leagues and competing there. Those taunts/animations will sell pretty well, I'm sure.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I'm digging how they do the hardcore league: when you die, you're just kicked down to the default league and can keep playing the character there.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm digging how they do the hardcore league: when you die, you're just kicked down to the default league and can keep playing the character there.

It's a fate worse than death. Instead of just being gone for good, you have now become what you always hated most:

CASUAL.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Klyka wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

It's a fate worse than death. Instead of just being gone for good, you have now become what you always hated most:

CASUAL.

They broadcast a message across the public general chat that you've just died and had your Hardcore status revoked.

Shame him! SHAME HIMMM!

Just got an email saying that you can buy a little package and get beta access plus some points or something. Their payment methods are borked too. Pity. I'm more interested in this then I am in D3.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    There are a few of us who gave them some cash. I did. I used paypal and it worked just fine.

Dyvion in game. If you friend one character it friends the account, or something like that.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dyvion wrote: »
    There are a few of us who gave them some cash. I did. I used paypal and it worked just fine.

Dyvion in game. If you friend one character it friends the account, or something like that.

I'd rather not use paypal but I think this is going to be my only option over the weekend.

I thought this game sounded a lot more like an old school ARPG. I'm in the D3 beta and wasn't impressed by it. Would do you think so far?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular

Given the rest of the list, I'd bet that "alternate skill effects" means alternate visual effects, not gameplay effects.

So yeah, there's no way they'll turn a profit off of this. They'll eventually need to sell something with a significant impact on gameplay.

Billmaan wrote: »

Given the rest of the list, I'd bet that "alternate skill effects" means alternate visual effects, not gameplay effects.

So yeah, there's no way they'll turn a profit off of this. They'll eventually need to sell something with a significant impact on gameplay.

I hope you're incorrect. They're doing a noble thing by not selling power. I hope the public rewards them.

PNA1v.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »

I hope you're incorrect. They're doing a noble thing by not selling power. I hope the public rewards them.

I hope they can make money off of me buying whatever stash tabs and character slots I need. Alternate skill animations isn't something that is going to get me to pay. If I did buy them, it'd be more out of a desire to support them than because I really want the animation.

edited April 2012
    True. I have to admit, none of that interests me in the slightest either.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    Went ahead and got in on this. Am really enjoying it so far. Seems pretty challenging.

Currently running a templar on the Hardcore mode. Level 6. Anyone else interested in playing?

PNA1v.jpg
    Got my archer up to 30 today. Finished Act II and it starts you back over at the intro, on a much harder difficulty with corresponding higher drops. I'm kitted out right now pretty well. I picked up the 35% chance for arrows to pierce their target and keep going, and found a support gem with 40% (leveled up twice, it's now at 42%) and using split arrow (rank 8 currently, 4 arrows) I can clear waves of critters. My poison arrow is my bread and butter though. Extra damage and a cloud that puts a heavy DOT effect on mobs is great, plus I have the debuff that makes things vulnerable to arrows... chews through normal difficulty things.

I'm loving the loot system. Six varieties of each type of armor in all of the tiers corresponds with each of the types of classes: Armor, Energy Shield, Evasion, Armor/Evasion, Armor/Energy Shield, Energy Shield/Evasion. I'm running full evasion right now and have a 49% chance to evade attacks, working towards the 20% chance to dodge attacks for a total of 70% chance to dodge (and various points along the way up that).

Lots of variety in weapons and weapon models. Lots of variety in bonuses to weapons. I got a flask the other day that applied a buff to fire resistance instead of just health/mana regen. I thought that was a neat touch.

My most favorite thing about the game though, and one I haven't heard people talk about much... Every level is randomly generated. When you leave a level you have 8 minutes to get back to it (15 minutes for core areas) or it will be deleted and a new one will be generated. You can also ctrl-click to just join a new instance of an area. When you team up with someone the monsters effective levels are raised to present more of a challenge. I teamed up a couple times with people and it really gets hectic when you face room fulls of beefed up monsters.

I'm really enjoying this a whole lot. We should get a list together for friends. When you friend one person you get their account friended so it doesn't matter which character they're on.

One thing I'm looking forward to is the sell tab. Hopefully whatever you put in it will go to an auction house type system... although with bartering I don't know how that would work.... I'm looking forward to watching this thing grow.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I decided to hop on this as well. Feeling the call of the loot trance strongly this weekend. My account is jericho89, for friending. Are there guilds or guildish things yet?

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I tried this a bit on the open weekend. Couldn't play more than a couple hours, though. I have to say, I would really, really welcome an "auto-order" button in the inventory like Titan Quest had. Diablo 2's inventory was always one of the most aggravating parts of the experience.

Otherwise, it looks like a fairly decent hackslasher. The rarity of scrolls at the beginning, both identification and town portal ones, was very noticed, and will probably give it a rather different feel, as will the whole barter instead of gold thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Staff Templar with Avatar of Fire is pretty great. Got the +Weapon Elemental Damage nodes, using Glacial Hammer and Sweep. Almost every dies in 1 or 2 hits, so now I'm scooping up survivability stuff like +20% Armor and Energy Shield. :^:

Mahnmut wrote: »
    I decided to hop on this as well. Feeling the call of the loot trance strongly this weekend. My account is jericho89, for friending. Are there guilds or guildish things yet?

I need one of your characte's name if i'm going to add you.

PNA1v.jpg

I need one of your characte's name if i'm going to add you.

Hm. Yeshua

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    So is there gonna be another character wipe, I'm assuming so? I don't see much a point to keep playing my 30 witch if shes just gonna be wiped.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    So is there gonna be another character wipe, I'm assuming so? I don't see much a point to keep playing my 30 witch if shes just gonna be wiped.

They said they will before they release.

When tromping through Act 1 with Mahnmut with my marauder and his witch and had lots of fun with much more difficult enemies. It must get really hectic with 3 or 4 people.

When tromping through Act 1 with Mahnmut with my marauder and his witch and had lots of fun with much more difficult enemies. It must get really hectic with 3 or 4 people.

:^:

Many strong and devious champions fell, often as snowflakes, before our relentless advance. Then the server crashed or something. :D

Mahnmut and I had one or 2 close calls too. Walk into a room full of mobs and a quick attacking boss. Bad news bearssss.

The 3 of us should get together and try it sometime. Hardcore modddeee.

PNA1v.jpg

Mahnmut and I had one or 2 close calls too. Walk into a room full of mobs and a quick attacking boss. Bad news bearssss.

The 3 of us should get together and try it sometime. Hardcore modddeee.

My HP globe looked totally empty. D:

I'm starting to re-think my full evasion strategy on my Ranger... up to 800 evasion now, but at my level that's only 44% dodge... and when I do get hit I lose 1/4 of my hps (no armor, no magic shield). It works really well if I can get in a team though.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    evasion is crap basically

you need armour to back it up or you gonna get whomped

and the game lies to you about the chance, because it depends on the accuracy of the mob - and high dex enemies like skeleton archers have monster dex, so even if you have nominally 44% chance to dodge its actually way less

obF2Wuw.png
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yea, Dex is sort of an odd stat right now. Even 90% evasion is no good if the 10th hit one shots you. Dex doesn't directly increase your damage either, it only increases your accuracy.

• TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    I got into the beta as well. I'd like to play in a group but I'm just starting out. Anyways, my character's name is TheManTrap.

Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Yea, Dex is sort of an odd stat right now. Even 90% evasion is no good if the 10th hit one shots you.

The eternal problem with having a stat that nullifies damage entirely, as plenty of game devs eventually discover.

I guess I'll gradually make the transition to the armor/evasion items... or maybe just go evasion on my chest and armor on everything else... hrm.

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Is there not a perk which converts evasion -> armor? Probably worth it if you want to go heavy dex.

Oh, and my username is Varys. Feel free to add me if you want to play, although I am a swede so I probably wont be on at the same time as you americans.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
    edited April 2012
    I'm American, but I'm in Japan, so I'm in a third general time zone.

I was going dex specifically for the evasion, so that's not actually helpful. I'll take a look at it on the skill tree.

I just added you too btw.

e: Just took a look at it, it's nearby what I'm already spec'ing in. It's only 6 points away.

e2: Ok, I just used a couple re-spec points and i'm only 4 points away from turning all evasion to armor... let's see how this works out.

Dyvion on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    iron reflexes is good and makes evasion worthwhile btw

obF2Wuw.png
    Meanwhile, Energy Shield seems pretty great! Hope it holds up at higher levels; I like how many of its talents are right next to the ice magic ones.

Meanwhile, Energy Shield seems pretty great! Hope it holds up at higher levels; I like how many of its talents are right next to the ice magic ones.

I've been dumping all of my points into spellpower and fire magic on my Witch. Love Firestorm so much.

PNA1v.jpg
    On my witch I added Lightning Damage (from the support gem) to frost nova and wreck things... around level 20 right now.

On my witch I added Lightning Damage (from the support gem) to frost nova and wreck things... around level 20 right now.

I'm focusing on crits with the frost witch, because crits are what statue things apparently.

Fire is going to server me well until my first Fire Immune mob. At which point i'll come crying to someone else to beat it for me.

PNA1v.jpg
This discussion has been closed.