As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    ah well. i'm still pretty pleased with my cheapo cards. here they are!

front
    6883355638_1c66c0781e.jpg

back
    7029456139_f086199db5.jpg

Looks good!

One of the things we will be doing next year is improving the badges. Too many of them looked similar this year.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I never thought to count my cards until now and I'm also short a few. Is it even worth it for me to contact Jakprints for the rest seeing how I may not get them in time?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

front

back

So I'm confused. Did you go with something that's not jakprints? I'm asking because of your question about jakprints customer service. Those also don't look like cards I've seen from jakprints either.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

front

back

So I'm confused. Did you go with something that's not jakprints? I'm asking because of your question about jakprints customer service. Those also don't look like cards I've seen from jakprints either.

nope, i went with zazzle this time, because funds are running low and i was able to get my whole order for about $10 + free shipping.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png

front

back

nope, i went with zazzle this time, because funds are running low and i was able to get my whole order for about $10 + free shipping.

Ok, well that makes more sense. I was wondering because there was so much black around the edges, which I haven't seen on any other cards.

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

front

back

Looks good!

One of the things we will be doing next year is improving the badges. Too many of them looked similar this year.

I actually changed some of my badges to make them more dissimilar. I changed the liquid in the pokecrawl glass to be purple rather than tan, I changed the twitter badge from the T to the bird, because I thought it showed up better, and I changed the hue of the girls meetup badge a little b/c it was too close to the D20. Hoorah for photoshop skillz. Also if you need any help changing badges for next yr (though it's a long way away) you know where to find me, Dave. :)

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular

front

back

I'm personally a fan of the Xbox logo :D

signature.png
  • ChiUnit4evrChiUnit4evr Registered User new member
    My cards are heeeeere! Can't wait to hand 'em out and collect all of yours :D

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    xenard wrote: »
    I never thought to count my cards until now and I'm also short a few. Is it even worth it for me to contact Jakprints for the rest seeing how I may not get them in time?

I would contact them, they rushed the extra ones out to me pretty quickly. They may give you a partial refund or something as well.

• sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    I got mine from jakprints yesterday, I definitely got more than 100 but haven't bothered counting them. They look pretty good and I'm excited to share!

• DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    Mine are in and look great; I barely have more than 100 though so I may actually run out.

edited March 2012
    2012 Checklist!

Let me know if you don't see your name on the list, the name is wrong, or if you should not be on the list. Thanks! I will continue to update the list until Wednesday, so I don't recommend printing it out until you're getting ready to travel.

For anyone on twitter, use #paxcards to find people people who are also trading.

PeasantDave on
    2012 Checklist!

Let me know if you don't see your name on the list, the name is wrong, or if you should not be on the list. Thanks! I will continue to update the list until Wednesday, so I don't recommend printing it out until you're getting ready to travel.

any suggestions on the most efficient way of checking people off as you trade with them? i'm certainly not above some old fashioned pen & paper, but if there's a reasonably easy way to access & edit a copy of this list from my android phone that would probably be less clumsy.

7YIpfE5.png
    2012 Checklist!

any suggestions on the most efficient way of checking people off as you trade with them? i'm certainly not above some old fashioned pen & paper, but if there's a reasonably easy way to access & edit a copy of this list from my android phone that would probably be less clumsy.

I use a pencil and paper checklist when I have downtime. You could also copy the file on google and edit it from your phone.

2012 Checklist!

You can make a local google docs copy of the checklist google doc, and then access it from the android google docs app

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Anyone attending the Coin Lunch should bring their cards too! Also, I have a couple slots left (exactly two) if a couple wants to come.

RSVP here

If you're worried that you're displacing someone with a coin- all paid invoices have a dealer.. er.. coin deliverer at this time. So if you want to have some seafood friday, feel free to sign up.

First two people who sign up are in. You're allowed a +1, but if you use it, you need to be first. If the first person does not have a +1, I'll go to the next person without a +1.

I can only allow two more, sorry!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • RestarttRestartt Registered User new member
    So I'm SOOOOOOO late to the party! I just found out i could go a week ago and have been running around registering/arranging the trip. These cards seem so cool! If I can get a local kinkos or something to print mine out, can I take part too? I made mine in MS paint because I think its a little late to try and get someone to photoshop it for me.... anyways here's a mock up, think it might work as #177?

If so, please dont put me down till i find out if a local printer is up to the short lead time challenge!

PS: If you think it'd turn out too low a quality, or not be up to the other card's snuff, don't be afraid to tell me, I already have gamer business cards I'm using, so its not a huge loss.

Front_Card.png
    Back_Card.png

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Well.. looks like due to scheduling, I won't be able to make ANY of the meetups, so I'll have to find all you lovelies in the wild. Sucks, but it is what it is. I'll tweet to #paxcards if I'm in a long line for folks who are nearby. Hope to see you all there this weekend!

Restartt wrote: »
    So I'm SOOOOOOO late to the party! I just found out i could go a week ago and have been running around registering/arranging the trip. These cards seem so cool! If I can get a local kinkos or something to print mine out, can I take part too? I made mine in MS paint because I think its a little late to try and get someone to photoshop it for me.... anyways here's a mock up, think it might work as #177?

If so, please dont put me down till i find out if a local printer is up to the short lead time challenge!

PS: If you think it'd turn out too low a quality, or not be up to the other card's snuff, don't be afraid to tell me, I already have gamer business cards I'm using, so its not a huge loss.
    Front_Card.png
    Back_Card.png

My only major concern would be that since you didn't use the template in photoshop, you don't have the fonts to match the rest of the set. I guess check with @PeasantDave.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Well.. looks like due to scheduling, I won't be able to make ANY of the meetups, so I'll have to find all you lovelies in the wild. Sucks, but it is what it is. I'll tweet to #paxcards if I'm in a long line for folks who are nearby. Hope to see you all there this weekend!

Even the meet-up in the Westin immediately after PAX ends? Last year, that was the only official meet-up, and is where the majority of the exchanging occurred.

KoalaBro2 wrote: »

Even the meet-up in the Westin immediately after PAX ends? Last year, that was the only official meet-up, and is where the majority of the exchanging occurred.

I will have to see - my wife (not a gamer, won't be attending PAX) comes with me to tour around Boston, and this year she's 8 months pregnant and chasing my almost 3 y/o daughter around. Since we leave Sunday, she doesn't have a hotel room to fall back to once noon hits, so I probably can't stay until the end. She's a trooper, and says to do what I want since she doesn't want to impose on what I do, but ...

something tells me it will be prudent to lose a few hours on Sunday to ensure this trip is a success for all involved parties ;)

Maybe, in the spirit of Easter, I'll hide my cards in various spots around the Westin lobby for people to find..

Restartt wrote: »

Front_Card.png
    Back_Card.png

My only major concern would be that since you didn't use the template in photoshop, you don't have the fonts to match the rest of the set. I guess check with @PeasantDave.

The fonts are pretty close so I don't think it will be a huge problem. Good luck finding a printer!

vttym wrote: »

that's too bad, but finding card-carrying folks in the wild is probably the funnest part anyway. try to keep a card in your forum badge holder or somewhere else visible so we can catch you! i remember one clever fellow had a card tucked into his hat band last year when i spotted him--very classy.

7YIpfE5.png
  • RestarttRestartt Registered User new member
    I found a printer! Thanks for being understanding to us photoshop deprived. Please put me down as participating. I'm assuming magic card dimensions of 3.5x2.5

See you guys there!

• KainEnableKainEnable Registered User regular
    Hello! I understand that this is really, really last min. I have just ran across this thread this morning. But i have found a printer and am able to make some cards, full size double sided on the right paper stock. Staples does a surprisingly good job. Can you put me down for 613 under Kainenable? If it is to late I will understand.

• zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    KainEnable wrote: »
    Hello! I understand that this is really, really last min. I have just ran across this thread this morning. But i have found a printer and am able to make some cards, full size double sided on the right paper stock. Staples does a surprisingly good job. Can you put me down for 613 under Kainenable? If it is to late I will understand.

613 is available, so that's fine. We are adding you to the list.

• HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    This - sadly - fell by the wayside for me. I will have a number of my cards that are still left over from last year. But I won't have new cards for this year.

I feel like a dismal failure.

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    Question! What did you ask staple to do to print these? Do they have a standard option that works?

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I was crazy busy and didn't get my order sent in time but I still have a metric ass-ton left over from last year so I'll have them available.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I have found no one to trade with. I am at the Wyvern theatre waiting for the 4;30 panel. I'll keep posting my locations on my twitter, @doc_rogers

• KainEnableKainEnable Registered User regular
    Holyyakker wrote: »
    Question! What did you ask staple to do to print these? Do they have a standard option that works?

Being a last min idea I had the 2 jpgs scaled to the right size which I brought to staples. I simply asked if she could turn them into 2.5 by 3.5 inch cards. She took the images and pasted 6 of them per page into a double sided PDF. Then printed a proof for me, everything lined up, so she printed and cut 117 of them for me. Took an hour and 23 dollars. It looked like something she kinda threw together but they look great.

• Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Whelp that was an epic fail. I still have all my cards except for the ones I just gave away at random. Good concept. Poorly executed. I feel I wasted my money. Well I almost feel that way but due to the response I got from the people I did give them to I think it made a good
    Impression. However I am disappointed. A lot of people at PAX seemed very cliquey and unwelcoming. This experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. I'll copy this concept and use them on my own accord. I was really hoping to meet a lot of you and share conversations with you but that never happened. I did see 2 people today who were participating but I didn't even bother with offering to trade with them because of how bad the experience was. I thought this would be a cool way to network with you fellow PAXers but none of you reached out to me. I constantly updated where I was at how long I would be there and where I would be going next. I knew going in that I wouldn't be able to trade with everyone, but with no one! That never crossed my mind. Thanks to KoolZero, sorry If I got that wrong, for making my cards. So for this being my first PAX I had a lot of fun but the card trading thing I don't think I'll do again, since I have so many left to hand out at Prime.

Thanks.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    You can't expect everyone to just run to you when you tweet. Adding that the Internet is crap in the convention, you are lucky if anyone sees it.

You have to have your card displayed instead of your badge so people know you have cards. Display it as much as you can and keep an eye out. I did this last year and found plenty of people. Did they not have a meet up in the Westin on Sunday?

I don't know where you get cliquey and unwelcoming. You must have been at a different convention, because that is the opposite of everything everyone else seems to experience at PAX.

This is a good concept and the execution depends on you spotting people with cards (or them potentially spotting you).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Doc Rogers wrote: »
    Whelp that was an epic fail. I still have all my cards except for the ones I just gave away at random. Good concept. Poorly executed. I feel I wasted my money. Well I almost feel that way but due to the response I got from the people I did give them to I think it made a good
    Impression. However I am disappointed. A lot of people at PAX seemed very cliquey and unwelcoming. This experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. I'll copy this concept and use them on my own accord. I was really hoping to meet a lot of you and share conversations with you but that never happened. I did see 2 people today who were participating but I didn't even bother with offering to trade with them because of how bad the experience was. I thought this would be a cool way to network with you fellow PAXers but none of you reached out to me. I constantly updated where I was at how long I would be there and where I would be going next. I knew going in that I wouldn't be able to trade with everyone, but with no one! That never crossed my mind. Thanks to KoolZero, sorry If I got that wrong, for making my cards. So for this being my first PAX I had a lot of fun but the card trading thing I don't think I'll do again, since I have so many left to hand out at Prime.

Thanks.

Yeah, you can't just sit somewhere and expect people to come to you. There were meetups each day for the trading cards, and the idea is that you find people at pax that have them by having conversations, or seeing them on their badge holders, or whatnot. You said yourself that you specifically didn't try to go up to people that you noticed with cards... If you went in to this expecting to just have people react to your twitter posting, I think you really went about things the wrong way. I saw people with cards all over the place since I was on the lookout. The forum badges are a great indicator of people likely to have trading cards, and I would just ask those people. Also, attend the meetups and/or pre-pax activities if possible. I know for a fact a ton of trading got done at the PPD, The MMT, and the Fried Food event.

Sorry to hear you didn't have fun with it, but let's not blame the community for your own choices.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Doc Rogers wrote: »

Thanks.

Yeah, you can't just sit somewhere and expect people to come to you. There were meetups each day for the trading cards, and the idea is that you find people at pax that have them by having conversations, or seeing them on their badge holders, or whatnot. You said yourself that you specifically didn't try to go up to people that you noticed with cards... If you went in to this expecting to just have people react to your twitter posting, I think you really went about things the wrong way. I saw people with cards all over the place since I was on the lookout. The forum badges are a great indicator of people likely to have trading cards, and I would just ask those people. Also, attend the meetups and/or pre-pax activities if possible. I know for a fact a ton of trading got done at the PPD, The MMT, and the Fried Food event.

Sorry to hear you didn't have fun with it, but let's not blame the community for your own choices.

I'd just like to juxtapose some alternate situations.

I was the dude in a pirate hat with pikachu ears and a bobcat riding in it all weekend with a large, black cloak.

My lessons that I took was:

#1: Don't worry about if they have a card. If they have a forum badge, or seem to know about any forum-activity, give them a card. It was wicked neat handing god-knows how many people cards and having them go "Oh! You're Kiashien! I'm (bleh)!"

#2: Make your pic as accurate as possible for how you look at PAX time. I was wearing contacts with a beard for some of the time. It confused the crap out of some people- since the pic was me with contacts in the sun clean shaven....

#3: I have literally not met a single person at PAX that I couldn't just start talking to because I felt like it. Plenty are damned shy, and won't start a conversation- but I've never met one at PAX that didn't want to have one.

And my simple advice is:

If you rely on twitter, I will never meet you except by absolute random happenstance since I don't use it in the first place, and even if I did, the internet / cell service is so goddamned intermittent that it wouldn't really be an exact science anyway.

Basically, Cards in the Wild (AKA non-card meetups) are just a great way to go "OH! You're Gigabrain! I know you!" (Which is an awesome experience)

And cards at the meetup are gotta catch 'em all... unless you're staying at the westin or have time to hang and play games ;)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Yeah, I unfortunately couldn't make any of the meetups, which meant I came home with exactly 2 less cards than I left with (2 given out after the Fitocracy panel). I don't blame anyone but myself, but I didn't see any cards out on the floor either (I had my card on the back of my backpack, and my forum badge).

I also saw very few Assassins or other forum badges. Maybe I just was always in the wrong place at the wrong time, but for 3 days hoofin it on the expo floor, I thought I'd see more.

Just means more cards to give away next year! :)

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I saw people with cards and didn't participate this year. :-(

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • shadowfaeshadowfae Registered User regular
    I ended up with about 10 cards just from hanging around with somebody else who was participating. I definitely plan to join in next year.

• rascalrascal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hi @shadowfae!

I really enjoyed meeting the other card-traders! -- I ran into some of you and was able to ID you by the cards you posted here. I probably traded about 20 (mostly at the card meet-up and the food swap) and gave away about 20.
    Can we keep the theme and number so that I can use these cards again?

Oh, and I couldn't really see any difference between the Jaks and the Zazzle cards -- Jaks might have been a tad glossier, but the card weight and print quality were identical. The puzzling variable was that only some of the cards (from both Jaks and Zazzle) had the black border -- did folks format their cards differently, or did the printers do that?

rascal on
  • rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    I got a few cards while playing in the Westin mezzanine, but that's about it - I didn't make any of the meetups (sadly) and saw remarkably few forum badges/cards displayed on the floor. All the same, I enjoyed the cards I did manage to snag and hope my tradees like theirs, too. :)

This discussion has been closed.