As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    mugginns wrote: »
    Pyrovores are indeed the worst unit in 40k.

Both rules-wise and the cost for the actual model. It's what, 50% more expensive than a Hive Guard of similar physical size? It's just... what.

So orange marines look pretty neat.

tumblr_m24oldSSpL1rr0yjh

tumblr_m24oldSSpL1rr0yjh

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Just looked up the Pyrovore's stats and abilities.

...What? Seriously? 5 points less than a Hive Guard for that?

makosig.jpg
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SJ wrote: »
    The Tau are pretty rad, and, like the Eldar, will hopefully actually be rad whenever they get a new book.

God I hate GWs book release schedule so fucking much

Personally I like the Tau cause they're one of the factions that don't fight their battles like morons unlike say the Imperium.

PixelMonkey on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Just looked up the Pyrovore's stats and abilities.

...What? Seriously? 5 points less than a Hive Guard for that?

Thing is, if it had the Hive Guards stats, it would be a much better unit. It's kind of weird, they put the backline fire support unit that doesn't need LOS to a target on a frame as tough as a monstrous creature, yet put the frontline shock troop unit (that's really what the uit should excel at with a bunch of heavy flamers) on a frame as fragile as a Biovore. Cruddaces logic was probably 'it's from the same family as the Biovore, it should have similar stats' for the Pyrovore and 'It's from the same family as a Tyrant Guard, it should have similar stats' for the Hive Guard. Gameplay over fluff here, Mr Cruddace. Swap the stats aside from the BS stat. Hive Guard remain about the same, since they shouldn't be in the enemies LoS, Pyrovores get a shitload better, since they can make a frontal assault without commiting suicide.

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Yeah they're just bad bad bad. Nothing worse in the entire world, not even helicopter moms

E26cO.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    When I started playing back in forever ago, Blood Angels were orange and they were pretty badass looking.

So I have been completely swamped by having a kid. I was gonna play in a tourney on Saturday but that got nixed (can't leave the wife behind that long). And now I haven't even sat at my painting desk for 2 weeks.

Also, I heard sharp placed in that tourney at PAX. Anyone have any more info? How was it? Was it neckbeardy or pretty cool? I'm just curious.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    More purple Necrons. I'm quite enjoying painting the monochrome scheme.
    Warriors3.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    When I started playing back in forever ago, Blood Angels were orange and they were pretty badass looking.

Yeah, when they swapped to red it was a bit weird. The original colour was even called Blood Angels Orange FFS!
    So I have been completely swamped by having a kid. I was gonna play in a tourney on Saturday but that got nixed (can't leave the wife behind that long). And now I haven't even sat at my painting desk for 2 weeks.

When I said see you in a few editions, I did mean it :P

When my brother had his kids, he didn't get back into 40k for like... 7-8 years. It took that long to basically figure out when was a good time for hobby time.

I think Nax will help prevent any long 40k dry spells. I hope!

signature.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I would love to play in an Aussie tournament, they sound like some of the better Canadian tourneys.

We get a weird mix of "US style" 'Ard boyz and "UK style" hobby focused tournaments here. Of which I much prefer the latter.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I wish our scene was like the Aussie scene

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    Upside down and expensive?

Fuck no.

signature.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I need your thoughts.

I want two predators in my army. My initial thought was that I would have one with a twin-linked lascannon turret, and lascannon sponsons. That would make him a dedicated anti-tank platform, reliably killing a vehicle every turn. Part of this thought was in response to recently going up against a 4 Landraider list several times.

The more I think about it though, now that I'm ready to put on of them together (and I know magnetizing, yadda yadda, I'm not going to do it,) I'm rethinking that. I was going to have the other with HB sponsons and the autocannon turret, so I could have one dedicated anti-personnel vehicle, but that really just makes the other predator a really big target.

Should I break up the lascannons between the two vehicles, or would it matter in a list with three bike squads with two meltaguns and an attack bike with multi-melta each and a couple of attack bike squads with multi-meltas? Would all the bikes be a more immediate concern?

I'm worried about wasting shots. If I have one vehicle sitting in the backfield sniping with one turret las-weapon, then the HB sponsons would be wasted, or vice versa if the lascannons were on the sponsons. Putting them together on the same vehicle makes more sense as a dedicated platform, but also makes it a bigger target. Which is more important?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular

Fuck no.

I lol'd

Man f dis, my kid is due in July right after 6th Edition comes out (hopefully in June). Not looking forward to being an adult =/

@valhalla I don't put lascannons on preds simply because they're so expensive and vanilla preds are really easy to suppress. AC / HB or just AC for really cheap AV 13 shots. Four land raider lists are definitely not the norm though.

E26cO.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Don't waste shots.

Vehicles are going to draw every anti-vehicle weapon anyways. Make a dedicated lascannon-laden anti-vehicle pred, and an anti-infantry/anti-LV one with HB/AC.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Autocannon, Heavy Bolters and Havoc Launcher is the greatest Predator.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    4 landraider lists is NOT the norm.

Also, it's cute that you think 3 lascannons will reliably kill a vehicle a turn. Count on 2 of those hitting, one of them penetrating and not doing much.

:P

signature.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

Fuck no.

Just pretend you're a bat and order stuff online (in bulk to keep shipping down).

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    4 landraider lists is NOT the norm.

Also, it's cute that you think 3 lascannons will reliably kill a vehicle a turn. Count on 2 of those hitting, one of them penetrating and not doing much.

:P
    I chuckled too. Don't forget, pretty much anything on the table gets a cover save :)

• karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, I heard sharp placed in that tourney at PAX. Anyone have any more info? How was it? Was it neckbeardy or pretty cool? I'm just curious.

Pretty cool. A few new players and a few very pretty armies.

My 3rd round was with an experienced and very good sport chaos player who hadn't played in a tournament until now.

But don't worry, I supplied enough neckbeardy Grey Knight shenanigans: coteaz, 2 stormravens, 2 dca squads, razor spam and a dread shadow-sky deep striking onto a no-scatter mystic.

karlthepagan on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Citadel also had a paint called Blood Angels Orange.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    So how would I go about organizing the Pax Prime 40k tourney. I don't even know who to talk to about that.

signature.png
  • Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    Pretty much any unit I play is awful. I still have fun.

I like to play fun lists. I like to play only the good looking models. I like to play for fun. I like to not use the units the internet says are good. I don't play tournaments.

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
    I would gladly pay 3x the price for models if it meant I could walk into a store pretty much anywhere and have a fun game without knowing my opponent

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular

Pretty cool. A few new players and a few very pretty armies.

My 3rd round was with an experienced and very good sport chaos player who hadn't played in a tournament until now.

But don't worry, I supplied enough neckbeardy Grey Knight shenanigans: coteaz, 2 stormravens, 2 dca squads, razor spam and a dread shadow-sky deep striking onto a no-scatter mystic.

Yeah, it was a good time. My last game was against a dude that only started playing 40k after last PAX and had maybe 5 games under his belt. Overall my opponents were fairly inexperienced. Law can tell you that the only reason I didn't win all 3 games was from some horrible luck in game 2. Here's what happened...

My drop pod with 10 maines + Termi Libi drops down first turn mid board. After not popping any of his rhinos with any of my shooting (horrible rolling) his 8-man Berserker squad + sorceror and 6 man Khorne marked marines get out of their rhinos just a few inches from my squad. After he shoots them a bit I lose 4 marines to bolter fire. I figure I didn't want to take that combined charge from both units and decide to fall back. I figured the worst that could happen is a roll low and only have the zerkers charge me, needing a ld10 test to survive. What should have happened was I fall back 7"+ and rally next turn to shoot the shit out of his nasty units. I was wrong. What happens is that I roll a 2 for my fall back and get charged anyway. Then I roll my ld test and it comes up as 11. Fail.

The game was all up hill after that, but I still managed to put up a decent fight and lost 7-5 KP.

• karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I only made a mistake charging Orks too soon. Perils once and failed a few more psychics myself, but the most significant failings were my own and not my dice.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Then I roll my ld test and it comes up as 11. Fail.

What Ld test this was this, exactly?

SJ on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    So I've been reading a lot of HP Lovecraft lately, and I'm grooving on the idea of making a Cthulhu cult army. Something fish/underwater themed, with some cultists, some mutant fishmen, some full blown deep ones (river trolls look perfect), and a star spawn or two.
    What codecies would be fitting for such an army? I'm interested to see what the new SM codex entails (hopefully it can take cultists).

website_header.jpg
    saluksic wrote: »
    If you are falling back and get charged, you take a LD test. If you fail you are destroyed, if you pass you fight as normal.

Using combat tactics to fall back after shooting makes you vulnerable to this. I have never thought to take that kind of test before. See, you learn something everyday.

That's why I was asking. Marines automatically pass tests to regroup (that is a test to regroup so he shouldn't have even rolled).

• saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    If you are falling back and get charged, you take a LD test. If you fail you are destroyed, if you pass you fight as normal.

Using combat tactics to fall back after shooting makes you vulnerable to this. I have never thought to take that kind of test before. See, you learn something everyday.

• saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular

That's why I was asking. Marines automatically pass tests to regroup (that is a test to regroup so he shouldn't have even rolled).

Is it? Maybe that's why taking one never occured to me before.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular

Maybe he got confused with the 6" rule?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Dunno. It was a quick summary, so I was just asking for curiosities sake.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Oh god what if that was not supposed to happen?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Woot, a friend of a friend has two Isle of Blood rat ogres to sell. Let the mad Haemonculus conversions begin! *mad cackle*

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait, what's this I hear about a new Dark Angel/Fallen codex? Does this mean I might be able to actually use my glorious 4th company?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

it's possible

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    So I've been reading a lot of HP Lovecraft lately, and I'm grooving on the idea of making a Cthulhu cult army. Something fish/underwater themed, with some cultists, some mutant fishmen, some full blown deep ones (river trolls look perfect), and a star spawn or two.
    What codecies would be fitting for such an army? I'm interested to see what the new SM codex entails (hopefully it can take cultists).

Probably Chaos, but I always default to Tyranids for Lovecraftian 40k stuff.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I gotta say the Horus Heresy books for DA have made them seem a lot cooler in my sight. But the same could be said for pretty much everything in HH.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
This discussion has been closed.