As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] Compare/contrast the TV Show and Book here, not in the other thread!

2»

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    S02E02 spoiler
    was it ever official in the books that Stannis and Melisandre were banging?

I had assumed so but I don't think we're ever explicitly told that. Not that I mind, as the actress is very nice

General season 2: I am extremely pleased with Stannis. The show creators have done a great job laying Stannis' lawful neutralness bare with very little screentime. One thing with the show is I wish they had "Extended cuts" of each episode for the dvd/br release
    It is HEAVILY implied, when she and Davos go on their trip to kill the knight defending Storm's End. But I don't think stated outright. The subtlety is about at the level of "nudge nudge wink wink say no more" though.
    My memory is that it's heavily implied they had sex to make the crazy shadow-baby-killer-things, but that whether they just had sex regularly is sort of vaguely potentially implied only.
    I'm not sure how I feel about Stannis and Melisandre explicitly boning like that in the show. In the books, I always got the sense that she drew on his "life force", if you will to create her shadow creatures, and maybe this process was sexual in nature...but I always interpreted Stannis as not being fully aware of this. Like, she did it while he was sleeping or something. It just seems like it would go against his principles to cheat on his wife.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    S02E02 spoiler
    was it ever official in the books that Stannis and Melisandre were banging?

I had assumed so but I don't think we're ever explicitly told that. Not that I mind, as the actress is very nice

General season 2: I am extremely pleased with Stannis. The show creators have done a great job laying Stannis' lawful neutralness bare with very little screentime. One thing with the show is I wish they had "Extended cuts" of each episode for the dvd/br release
    It is HEAVILY implied, when she and Davos go on their trip to kill the knight defending Storm's End. But I don't think stated outright. The subtlety is about at the level of "nudge nudge wink wink say no more" though.
    My memory is that it's heavily implied they had sex to make the crazy shadow-baby-killer-things, but that whether they just had sex regularly is sort of vaguely potentially implied only.
    I'm not sure how I feel about Stannis and Melisandre explicitly boning like that in the show. In the books, I always got the sense that she drew on his "life force", if you will to create her shadow creatures, and maybe this process was sexual in nature...but I always interpreted Stannis as not being fully aware of this. Like, she did it while he was sleeping or something. It just seems like it would go against his principles to cheat on his wife.
    If anything, his wife is probably encouraging it. She really buys into the whole Lord of Light thing.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought the asoiaf thread was for this.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    This thread is intended to be safe for TV viewers who aren't reading ahead; the regular thread is pretty wild with spoilers for books 3-5.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The book thread is spoilering the entire series, though, whereas this is more just spoiling things that happened on the show already.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah, I mean, when someone comments on how littlefinger is acting differently on the TV show, I don't want the response to be "well in book 5..." - this really is just comparing the differences in the two mediums, for as much as we have of the TV show.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So we can talk about the Joffrey/Cersei, Littlefinger/Cersei scenes in episode 1 that didn't happen in book 2?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ED! wrote: »
    So we can talk about the Joffrey/Cersei, Littlefinger/Cersei scenes in episode 1 that didn't happen in book 2?

Yup! That's actually one of the main points of this thread that caused it to break off from the TV show thread: the things that are fabricated specifically for the TV show, and talking about if they fit the image we got from the book. There's a decent amount of "filling in" that the TV show needs to do because it has limitations the novels did not.

RenaissanceDan on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Spoiler from the series:

at some point Tyrion will slap joffrey again

override367 on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Darian wrote: »
    This thread is intended to be safe for TV viewers who aren't reading ahead; the regular thread is pretty wild with spoilers for books 3-5.

I am not dealing with figuring out which of three fucking threads I am supposed to post in, so I am just going to talk about shit in here and if you get spoiled it is your own fucking fault for reading about it on the internet

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's really not hard:

If you would like to talk about the book series as a whole, or would like to refer to books beyond where the plot of the TV show is in any way, you want to go to the book thread.

If you would like to talk about the TV series as a TV series in a universe as if the book series did not exist, you want to go to the TV show thread. Which helpfully includes the line "NO BOOKS" in the title.

If you would like to discuss how the books and TV show differ in a spoiler safe environment, you want this here thread.

If you ignore that, you deserve all the infractions you'll be getting in the future.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    No

No, there is no reason to have a THIRD FUCKING THREAD so that special snowflakes who read the FIRST two books but none of the other ones don't get spoiled

This is fucking ridiculous, no other topic on media on these boards is treated this way, cowboy the fuck up and deal

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    No

No, there is no reason to have a THIRD FUCKING THREAD so that special snowflakes who read the FIRST two books but none of the other ones don't get spoiled

This is fucking ridiculous, no other topic on media on these boards is treated this way, cowboy the fuck up and deal
    Then report this thread to a mod and let them decide.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't think the show did enough to emphasize just how large a man Gregor is. His only real contrast was against Loras, who is a 96 pound twink, and the Hound, who is a very large man himself. That and I think the show is losing all the subtlety of the books.

The show seems to discard pretty much all of the interesting small details that I liked about the first book's best moments.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    On the subject of appearances:
    Meli looks great.
    Stannis looks great.
    Davos looks thicker-set than I was expecting; given his past, I expected a rather thinner guy.
    Ser Dontos looks super-different; I wasn't expecting mutton-chops and portliness at all there.
    Craster is surprisingly well groomed for a daughter-fucking wildling dickbag. Like others, I was expecting closer to Frey for Craster.

And yeah, Littlefinger is being played so overtly in the TV series compared to how he is in the books. Very strange, especially given who he's taunting. He can taunt Varys because he knows he's better than Varys; Cersei on the other hand he should already know is a cagey bitch when she's insulted...

Thinks he's better than Varys. Varys is one of the most effective people on the damn continent.

His motives are just less obvious.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Thinks he's better than Varys. Varys is one of the most effective people on the damn continent.

In the books, Littlefinger is pretty much never outmanouevred. Varys gets screwed over in a lot of different ways.

Where Varys works mostly by gaining information, Littlefinger has information, wealth and power, and puts all of it to very good use.

Varys also generally relies on his network to do a lot of the work for him, whereas Littlefinger takes what he gains from his network, and puts it to use himself.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

In the books, Littlefinger is pretty much never outmanouevred. Varys gets screwed over in a lot of different ways.

Where Varys works mostly by gaining information, Littlefinger has information, wealth and power, and puts all of it to very good use.

Varys also generally relies on his network to do a lot of the work for him, whereas Littlefinger takes what he gains from his network, and puts it to use himself.

Different motives! It's kind of vital. If you want to talk about it further, ask in the book thread.

• Options
    I agree that this thread is pointless because I'm pretty sure most people who read the books at all have read all 5.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    There's a fair number of people reading along or just curious what's been changed (I think the latter inspired the thread).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I agree that this thread is pointless because I'm pretty sure most people who read the books at all have read all 5.

Maybe. But I'm still on four. But I'm working my way through all five, rather than trying to "keep up" with the show.

That said, I poked my head in here hoping it might be interesting, but I don't suspect it will be. I think we ought to accept that you need to either finish up the books and venture into the book thread, or stick to the TV thread and accept that you don't really get to compare and contrast. Having two threads is bad enough, but understandable and (I'd argue) necessary. A third? Getting a bit ridiculous. I was readly to dismiss Salvation122 because he had (IIRC) the same attitude in the TV thread. But...I think he's right here.

But I'll leave it there. Sorry to continue the off-topic conversation, but I figure this debate will die down after a page or two anyway and this thread can go on to thrive as the show goes on. Or, it'll get stabbed to death like the little dark-haired bastard baby it is.

• Options
    Off topic, but do we have a Boardwalk Empire thread? I just finished Season 2 and need to post on the internet about it.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I don't see any difference with Sansa in the show and Sansa in the books.

Except we aren't seeing her inner monologue which helps make her less annoying. Barely. She was pretty intolerable in season one (to Sophie Turner's credit).

Yeah, I don't get all the Sansa hate. Admittedly, the EARLY chapters with her were kind of lame with the "Oh, la la, I'm gonna marry a Prince. My sister is dirty and stupid. I like sewing" into unhinged PTSD Sansa, which you kinda get in the show, but was pretty dramatic/compelling in the book.

Spoilering the paraphrased bits that made me dislike her in the off chance that people want to complain:
    "I'm going to show how loyal I am to Joffrey and screw over Arya, oh no, that got my wolf killed!"
    "I'm going to show how loyal I am to Joffrey and screw over my dad, oh no that got my dad killed!"
    "I'm not going to be Queen anymore, oh woe is me, please pity me!"

It didn't help when I was turning the page from a Daenarys, Jon, or Robb chapter where there was interesting stuff going on right into yet another friggen Sansa chapter

Nobody on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I don't see any difference with Sansa in the show and Sansa in the books.

Except we aren't seeing her inner monologue which helps make her less annoying. Barely. She was pretty intolerable in season one (to Sophie Turner's credit).

Yeah, I don't get all the Sansa hate. Admittedly, the EARLY chapters with her were kind of lame with the "Oh, la la, I'm gonna marry a Prince. My sister is dirty and stupid. I like sewing" into unhinged PTSD Sansa, which you kinda get in the show, but was pretty dramatic/compelling in the book.

Spoilering the paraphrased bits that made me dislike her in the off chance that people want to complain:
    "I'm going to show how loyal I am to Joffrey and screw over Arya, oh no, that got my wolf killed!"
    "I'm going to show how loyal I am to Joffrey and screw over my dad, oh no that got my dad killed!"
    "I'm not going to be Queen anymore, oh woe is me, please pity me!"

It didn't help when I was turning the page from a Daenarys, Jon, or Robb chapter where there was interesting stuff going on right into yet another friggen Sansa chapter

I hated Sansa's chapters. She's much better in the show than in the books because she doesnt get her dad killed.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

You're wrong.

Why are people being such douchebags about this thread existing? If you don't like it, stay the fuck out.

On topic:

What the fuck is with Rakharo

dying? Exactly how much are they changing between the book and the show? o_O

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's simple: people who watched the TV series and were curious about how it differs from the books, what different choices it makes etc., were told that the TV series thread isn't the right place for comparisons. The book thread is full of spoilers up to the most recent volume in the series. Hence this thread.

Personally I think it's silly to say that any mention of the books in the TV thread is off limits - but if that's how it is, it makes sense to have a place where you can find out about what the books do differently without being spoiled on what happens three volumes down the line.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thirith wrote: »
    It's simple: people who watched the TV series and were curious about how it differs from the books, what different choices it makes etc., were told that the TV series thread isn't the right place for comparisons. The book thread is full of spoilers up to the most recent volume in the series. Hence this thread.

Personally I think it's silly to say that any mention of the books in the TV thread is off limits - but if that's how it is, it makes sense to have a place where you can find out about what the books do differently without being spoiled on what happens three volumes down the line.
    The issue with discussing the books in the tv thread came about because people were being fucking idiots and spoiling the tv series for people just watching it. Honestly, this thread would be silly except that people still can't discuss the books properly in the old thread because they are still idiots.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Tell you what hasn't changed.

Everything sexual is a complete boner and (lady-)boner killer.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

The issue with discussing the books in the tv thread came about because people were being fucking idiots and spoiling the tv series for people just watching it. Honestly, this thread would be silly except that people still can't discuss the books properly in the old thread because they are still idiots.

While I agree with the sentiment, there were people in the TV thread getting really upset at Syndalis and I for discussing Daenerys' relationship with Drogo and how it differed from the books. That's nowhere close to being spoilery. Comparing past events in the show to past events in the book is something that isn't worth getting upset about. I think having three threads for this series is a bit overkill, but if the mods let us have it, sounds good.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I personally feel we need to split the "how many threads do we need" discussion into its own thread.

As for changes made, Theon's sex scene was all wrong. He was meant to get some head, we lost all the clever dialogue about how semen tastes salty. I wish they would just stick to the source material.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I personally feel we need to split the "how many threads do we need" discussion into its own thread.

As for changes made, Theon's sex scene was all wrong. He was meant to get some head, we lost all the clever dialogue about how semen tastes salty. I wish they would just stick to the source material.
    The scene served the exact same purpose though that it did in the book. Namely that Theon is a fucking asshole, is the fucking worst, and pretty much was using her as little more than a hole until he got home.

I stopped listening to the audiobook for a couple months after that scene - it had the GRRM level of disgusting pervishness that was only cranked up to 11 when an old man with a gravelly voice is saying it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If you want to discuss the series in conjunction with the books, do it in the book thread. We are not going to have three goddamn threads about Game of Thrones.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.