As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

It depends where your definition of good is.

Or alternatively, how much you're willing to lie to yourself.

I would say that nobody is "good" at anything at all unless they're in the top 1% of it.

You aren't GOOD at mathematics because you get an A on whatever test it is you just took, you aren't GOOD at whatever sport it is you play because you are on a county level team, and you aren't GOOD at starcraft when you're in diamond league. Yes you may be above average in the small set of people you interact with on a daily basis, but its a big world out there, and there are thousands of people who can make your best effort look laughable without even trying. They've got more natural talent in one finger than you have in your entire body, and they've been practicing for twice as long as you have, and twice as hard.

bolded the important part that indicates why letting an attitude like the one you have predominate is a bad idea. if you buy that talent is inherent (which it pretty clearly is, to an extent), that just means if you feel untalented you have to work that much harder. more importantly, it means you can't tear yourself to shreds simply because you don't understand a matchup (there's brainstorming and venting, and then there's...this). none of what you're doing right now is particularly intellectually honest or conducive to helping yourself get better. believe me, I know because this game makes me feel the exact same way when I try to play it, and I think you honestly should be trying to come to grips with it before you just stop logging in, because it sounds like it'd be a blow for you to quit like that...for me, it was just an admission that I don't have the work ethic to constantly be improving when I'm trying to relax and play video games.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Jaziek, I think the word you're looking for is "great". Good actually has a far more inclusive connotation to it. I certainly wouldn't limit the threshold for "good" to the top 1 percent in the world.

But whatever. If you want to call yourself scum and feel sorry for yourself and go on another one of your attention seeking rants for the next four pages, I won't stop ya. Have fun.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    The SC2 community is good at considering themselves trash at the game, but statistically speaking most of them aren't. In most respects, I think that attitude is better than, e.g., lol community where everyone thinks they're hot shit but in reality most of them are bad. However, at some point, you need to acknowledge that you're not completely horrible otherwise you'll end up depressing yourself.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    P.s., PAX people. Where are my pictures at? I don't give a shit if you're hung over. I want evidence of scandalous behavior, stat.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Kambing wrote: »
    P.s., PAX people. Where are my pictures at? I don't give a shit if you're hung over. I want evidence of scandalous behavior, stat.

I had a ton of fun at IPL4 but I am a bit jealous I didn't get to drink with all the PA people at PAX. Damn east coasters.

So aside form Kambing and Narwhal, who else was at pax?

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Jaziek, I think the word you're looking for is "great". Good actually has a far more inclusive connotation to it. I certainly wouldn't limit the threshold for "good" to the top 1 percent in the world.

But whatever. If you want to call yourself scum and feel sorry for yourself and go on another one of your attention seeking rants for the next four pages, I won't stop ya. Have fun.

You're completely right, and I don't really have any rebuttal for this, or justification for my actions. I don't like doing this, even though I've done it many times before and nothing constructive has come of it, and its more than likely I'll do it again. I wish I wasn't this way, but there's not a lot I can do about it.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular

You're completely right, and I don't really have any rebuttal for this, or justification for my actions. I don't like doing this, even though I've done it many times before and nothing constructive has come of it, and its more than likely I'll do it again. I wish I wasn't this way, but there's not a lot I can do about it.

Einstein's definition of Insanity: doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

Jaziek, have you tried playing with PA'ers? Have one of the guru's here take you under their wing for a week or two? Have you tried offracing? Have you tried taking a break like everyone here has suggested?

• Options

I had a ton of fun at IPL4 but I am a bit jealous I didn't get to drink with all the PA people at PAX. Damn east coasters.

So aside form Kambing and Narwhal, who else was at pax?

I wasn't there. Mig, Pants, and Jeff were there as well from what I heard.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Let me help you out Jaziek. Follow these steps for guaranteed relaxation.

1. Open two tabs.
    2. For tab one, go here 3. For tab two, go here 4. Start the video in tab one
    5. Wait for thunder to die out
    6. Start the video in tab two
    7. Sit back and relax

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »

Einstein's definition of Insanity: doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

Jaziek, have you tried playing with PA'ers? Have one of the guru's here take you under their wing for a week or two? Have you tried offracing? Have you tried taking a break like everyone here has suggested?

I haven't played a ladder game in about 2 weeks, and I can't play with PA people until I get a US account.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Bioooo, we should play some BW. I tried to play Dhal but apparently the latency from Australia to NA is too high to work on Battle.net

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Bioooo, we should play some BW. I tried to play Dhal but apparently the latency from Australia to NA is too high to work on Battle.net

Starcraft 2 broodwar or the actual broodwar. Cause I don't even have the actual one anymore.

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

i can get on iccup now if you want, channel pa

• Options
    kk, see you there.

Starcraft 2 broodwar or the actual broodwar. Cause I don't even have the actual one anymore.

The actual one.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Let me help you out Jaziek. Follow these steps for guaranteed relaxation.

1. Open two tabs.
    2. For tab one, go here 3. For tab two, go here 4. Start the video in tab one
    5. Wait for thunder to die out
    6. Start the video in tab two
    7. Sit back and relax

Also good:
    http://rain.nxe7.com/

Houn on
  • Options
    pmed you spoons

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Yeah, that sounds good, too. Hell, any quiet piano-heavy song sounds great in the rain.

• Options

That's his fucking excuse for everything. -_-

• Options
    Or it turns out that neither of us had our ports forwarded, which is apparently a thing that has to happen. I took game one against Bio with my old patented 5hatch hydra build.

• Options
    Like taking candy from a british baby.

• Options
    I remember hydras.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

You sound exactly like me, although my solution was to just to stop playing the game and just watch it instead :P.

Overall, if you don't enjoy it then don't do it, really sums it up. And if you want to continue, just focus on the positive aspects of your play, that's how I coped with a job I pretty much hated for 2 years.

• Options
    game two was even worse

this game is hard ok T.T

• Options
    After watching MMA go crazy drop happy against Stephano this weekend, I had a discussion about how drops in tvz are going to be affected by HOTS. I'm of the opinion MMA's drop heavy play is going to become a lot less viable in HOTS because the new units. First, there's the unit you build from the hatch that pulls units in. I think this will make dropping much more dangerous as you could pull dropships into your queens or into spore crawlers. Second, there's the buried unit that continually builds marine type units. I don't know even these units shoot air or not, but I do know they get made even if no enemies are nearby (unlike broodlings from broodlords), so you could simply bury one of these at each of your base and you'll always have a little expendable army to deal with small drops.

My friend thinks it's wishful thinking.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    After watching MMA go crazy drop happy against Stephano this weekend, I had a discussion about how drops in tvz are going to be affected by HOTS. I'm of the opinion MMA's drop heavy play is going to become a lot less viable in HOTS because the new units. First, there's the unit you build from the hatch that pulls units in. I think this will make dropping much more dangerous as you could pull dropships into your queens or into spore crawlers. Second, there's the buried unit that continually builds marine type units. I don't know even these units shoot air or not, but I do know they get made even if no enemies are nearby (unlike broodlings from broodlords), so you could simply bury one of these at each of your base and you'll always have a little expendable army to deal with small drops.

My friend thinks it's wishful thinking.

Technically drop play shouldn't be a problem in ZvT now because drops get shut down with an infestor, spore, and spine. In practice, it'll still be a thing to watch out for regardless of what units are available to you.

EDIT: Swarm hosts don't shoot up.

Kambing on
  • Options
    i managed to kill an army game three

unfortunately meeks had another one T.T

• Options
    Game two I won with 3hatch lurker. Game three I won with 3hatch muta into 5hatch hydra lurker. So good 8-)

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    lurkers are op

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    I would stream my games against Bio but for some reason Xsplit hates BW. It messes up the resolution and makes it unwatchable.

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    Does anyone know when the new season is supposed to start up?

• Options
    am back now meeks if you wanna play some more bw

gonna look into streaming also

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    So what's up with our team league?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone know when the new season is supposed to start up?

should be tomorrow
    TannerMS wrote: »

participation just halted it seems like. everyone just needs to finish their playoff sets and it didn't happen afaik

our team had one or two left I think.

I'm hoping we can finish and have people explain what happened to we get interest going again, I was really hoping for another season

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote: »

I would like to join CSTL this season if you folks are accepting additions.

Also, this just got necroed but it seemed relevent to the Jaziek discussion.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Seems like participation pretty much halted.

Also think we're still waiting on a pretty important ruling from Invictus re: whether Trunkers withdrawing from the line-up counts as a point for us or not.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Seems like participation pretty much halted.

Also think we're still waiting on a pretty important ruling from Invictus re: whether or not Trunkers withdrawing from the line-up counts as a point for us or not.

Hell, Trunkers might be able to play again at this point. ;-)

• Options
    edited April 2012

Technically drop play shouldn't be a problem in ZvT now because drops get shut down with an infestor, spore, and spine.

Someone should tell that to nestea and stephano, because that's how they both lost.

The problem with using infestors to defend against drops is that it requires a lot of babysitting, and a lot of energy. Alive and MMA were sending drops to bases constantly, while continually poking and flanking with their main army. I don't care how good of a zerg you are, it's hard to efficiently deal with drops when it takes more than one fungal to kill a dropship or a pack of marines, and when 6 3/3 marines can take out three spines crawlers fairly easily.

Anyway, I'm not saying drops are op right now or anything, I'm just saying they certainly tax a zerg player more than the other races when you get into the late game. I'm hoping the new zerg units mitigate it a little bit, because right now even the best zergs in the world look so frustrated against it.

fatalspoons on
  • Options

Technically drop play shouldn't be a problem in ZvT now because drops get shut down with an infestor, spore, and spine.

Someone should tell that to nestea and stephano, because that's how they both lost.

The problem with using infestors to defend against drops is that it requires a lot of babysitting, and a lot of energy. Alive and MMA were sending drops to bases constantly, while continually poking and flanking with their main army. I don't care how good of a zerg you are, it's hard to efficiently deal with drops when it takes more than one fungal to kill a dropship or a pack of marines, and when 6 3/3 marines can take out three spines crawlers fairly easily.

Anyway, I'm not saying drops are op right now or anything, I'm just saying they certainly tax a zerg player more than the other races when you get into the late game. I'm hoping the new zerg units mitigate it a little bit, because right now even the best zergs in the world look so frustrated against it.

I actually think going muta into infestor is better than just straight up ling/infestor for the sole reason of being able to deal with drops. You could see in MMA vs Stephano game 2 how MMA would just sit one of his dropships behind Stephano's natural, and every minute or so he'd drop it, force Stephano to pull drones, then instantly pick up again and run away. Stephano had no way to deal with that.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm just saying they certainly tax a zerg player more than the other races when you get into the late game.

I really disagree with this. Drops are such a concern in TvT that Turret rings become a necessity beyond 3 bases, especially since a doom drop that includes Tanks isn't defendable without losing a large chunk of production or army.

Late-game drops against Protoss are pointless though, yes. They just laugh and warp in 15 Zealots or Feedback.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yilias wrote: »
    I'm just saying they certainly tax a zerg player more than the other races when you get into the late game.

I really disagree with this. Drops are such a concern in TvT that Turret rings become a necessity beyond 3 bases, especially since a doom drop that includes Tanks isn't defendable without losing a large chunk of production or army.

Late-game drops against Protoss are pointless though, yes. They just laugh and warp in 15 Zealots or Feedback.

Yeah, but those kind of issues are always mitigated in mirror matchups. Sure, drops are pretty deadly in tvt, but if you're having trouble defending against them, you can just start using them yourself. So there's a least a bit of a balance there. Sadly it doesn't look like any of the terran units in hots are going to lessen the impact of drops.
    I actually think going muta into infestor is better than just straight up ling/infestor for the sole reason of being able to deal with drops.

There's a few problems with this, though, and they were highlighted in nestea's last game against Alive. First, when you build mutas, you HAVE to harrass with them to make them worthwhile. This means they're not really back at home to help defend against drops. Nestea had a pretty strong flock of mutas when he was on four bases but Alive was dropping three bases at a time while prodding with his main army. It was stressful to watch. Second, mutas are so weak as part of your main army composition, so if terran ever gets to that crucial number of marines and tanks, they become more of a liability than an asset. Infestors help deal with the marines but because mutas and infestors are so gas heavy it seems like zerg has a real hard time getting enough infestors to really deal with the endless stream of marines coming in.

I don't know, I'm probably blowing this out of proportion. Nestea did make it to third place. It just seems like in all the zvt's I've watched the terran calls all the shots and the zerg can only play very passive and hope the terran makes a mistake.

fatalspoons on