As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    DanWeino wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So Ford finally got it's 2013 Mustang configurator up. Now I can make myself crazy for the next few months while I figure out exactly what I want. (hint: I already know)

I know too. It's just a shame Ford won't ever release the Mustang in the U.K. Even if they just sold the V6 I'd be happy. I think the Camaro is coming over for silly money (£35k-40k I think) Which I think follows the pricing structure of replacing the $ for a £ and ripping us off. If Ford could get a basic V6 over here for £22,000 I would go giddy.

Aren't there some wierd displacement regulations in the EU that keep the cars with small block V8's out or absurdly priced?

I know the V6 mustang is basically a break even car and the V8 is what really makes them their money.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think you're going to have to wait for 2015 with the redisign. Fords "One Ford" stratagy is that there aren't going to be single market cars anymore. Which means the next gen stang is going global. All the old schoolers are kinda wigging out about it. But, if you can't wait and/or are rich you can get a gray market stang. I know people in England with them, I've seen them in Japan, and Austrailia as well. It costs a cubic assload to do it that way though.

• Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    There is something about fleet average c02 emissions. Although I suspect there are ways round this. I suppose I can get around this by getting a better job and then just importing one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    There is something about fleet average c02 emissions. Although I suspect there are ways round this. I suppose I can get around this by getting a better job and then just importing one.

You do what Aston Martin does - contract out with a company that makes a kei car (in Aston's case, Toyota) and then rebadge it and throw some other Aston shit in there and offer it for people to buy. Even though they wont, because who wants an Aston with a 1.3L I4?

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

You do what Aston Martin does - contract out with a company that makes a kei car (in Aston's case, Toyota) and then rebadge it and throw some other Aston shit in there and offer it for people to buy. Even though they wont, because who wants an Aston with a 1.3L I4?

>.>
    <.<

*raises hand*

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

>.>
    <.<

*raises hand*

No. Bad.

*slap*

DbsvI.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So before I do some real serious research, any idea how many parts share between an 89 cherokee and a 91? Both running the straight 6. I have the 89 and the opportunity to pick up a 91 with a blown transmission for just a few hundred bucks. I want to make sure its worth my while to buy as a parts rig.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Ever been like "Hmmm, I think I want to buy some performance stuff for my car." The go online, do a bunch of research on prices and what not and then realize that you spent a whole lot more money than you realized you were?

I just did that. D:

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I tell myself that any performance upgrade I want to buy has to be installed by me which saves me a lot of time since I basically have no idea what Im doing, and then when it comes to stuff I know I can do (or think I can do), Im still prevented from buying anything since I dont have the time to install anything.

It seems to work well enough.

• Options
    forwardcont.jpg

WANT!

Steam
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So I think one of the front shocks on the 96 Saturn sedan is dead. It makes a terrible noise once I get it above 30, and there is some sort of black fluid/grease on all the under-body where the suspension is. What am I looking at to get it fixed. Cause at this point I'm tempted to just go car shopping, but it seems to be running fine otherwise. Also how doable would this be as a DIY?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Check the CV joint first. The boot is probably torn, which is why grease is being flung all over the place. You probably should just replace the axle as a complete unit and call it good.

• Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    I am going to second the CV joint with the description given.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    [snip]*cab-forward-awesome*[snip]

WANT!

Unfortunately they aren't even going to try and get this beautiful thing NHSTA approved. Which is understandable. Getting into a front end accident with your feet hanging out over the front end of the vehicle seemss like a terrible idea to me.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular

WANT!

Unfortunately they aren't even going to try and get this beautiful thing NHSTA approved. Which is understandable. Getting into a front end accident with your feet hanging out over the front end of the vehicle seemss like a terrible idea to me.

Not to mention the poor shmuck in the econobox you ran completely over.

I live in redneck central and it's damn scary to drive alongside one of these big jacked up 4x4's and look over and see nothing but tire, knowing that if I were to get into an accident with one of those things, I'd probably be dead.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    DbsvI.jpg

I actually saw one of these in real life the other week, parked outside our office. I'm frankly surprised that there are people willing to pay triple the price of the base car for, essentially, a leather interior.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    DbsvI.jpg

I actually saw one of these in real life the other week, parked outside our office. I'm frankly surprised that there are people willing to pay triple the price of the base car for, essentially, a leather interior.

Nah, they do lots of things. Its like a totally new car! I mean, look at that grill. And that hood. And that chrome accent on the side vent. Which reminds me, look at that side vent!

$50,000 please.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I need help finding a new car for my dad. He just bought a new Nissan Altima and he hates it.

I was thinking about recommending the Hyundai Azera, but it's too expensive at $30,000.

Maybe a used Infiniti G37? He likes leather...and "bells and whistles."

Slider on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

WANT!

Just get a unimog!

1976_Mercedes_Benz_UNIMOG_Doka_Front_1.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    DbsvI.jpg

I just figured they made some showroom models for those cars with the idea they will be sold for scrap metal later. Can you imagine the poor salesperson trying to answer questions about a car he's never talked about before, and never expected to sell? "Well the Cygnet is a car...perhaps you'd like to get a Toyota IQ instead?"

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Beltaine wrote: »

WANT!

Not to mention the poor shmuck in the econobox you ran completely over.

I live in redneck central and it's damn scary to drive alongside one of these big jacked up 4x4's and look over and see nothing but tire, knowing that if I were to get into an accident with one of those things, I'd probably be dead.

That reminds me.

I saw one of these huge monstrosities in Scottsdale, Arizona. The van in front of it looks tiny in comparison.

0124121251-00.jpg

Slider on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Wow. That truck just screams "Yes, it's convex."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Ha ha, someone with a big truck has a small penis!

Man that joke never gets old.

Seriously.

Never gets old.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I don't get what the purpose of that truck is.

I mean, it's too high to really put anything in the bed, unless you have a crane, which he doesn't have.
    I don't see a hitch, and it looks really poor to actually pull anything.
    It's too shiny to be going off-road, and I doubt the transmission and suspension are set for it (the suspension isn't, I'll be the transmission is stock).

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    I need help finding a new car for my dad. He just bought a new Nissan Altima and he hates it.

I was thinking about recommending the Hyundai Azera, but it's too expensive at $30,000.

Maybe a used Infiniti G37? He likes leather...and "bells and whistles."

I was just looking at those the other day. 25-27k will get you a pretty darn nice G37. 20-25k should get you a decent previous generation G35.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I don't get what the purpose of that truck is.

I mean, it's too high to really put anything in the bed, unless you have a crane, which he doesn't have.
    I don't see a hitch, and it looks really poor to actually pull anything.
    It's too shiny to be going off-road, and I doubt the transmission and suspension are set for it (the suspension isn't, I'll be the transmission is stock).

Isn't it obvious? It is to look perty and be tall and manly. Some people just have different ideas of what makes a car look awesome.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    stupid forum double post of doom.

CommunistCow on
  • Options

Seriously.

Never gets old.

No, it's not about the size of the truck. It's about the fact that it's designed to just look gaudy at the expense of any sort of functionality.

That's what makes it a four wheel drive codpiece.

• Options
    So I have installed aftermarket exhaust, intake, blow off valve, and relfashed my Genesis Turbo.

Everything is loud.

Exhaust= Loud
    Intake= Loud
    Turbo= Loud
    Blow off valve= Loud

And I am loving every minute of it! :D

Steam
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Psst! It doesn't matter how loud it is if it's still slow, lol!

• Options

Seriously.

Never gets old.

No, it's not about the size of the truck. It's about the fact that it's designed to just look gaudy at the expense of any sort of functionality.

And you drive a stripped, rusting Volga sedan, I'm sure.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Seriously.

Never gets old.

Actually, I'm going to be signing for a 2012 Prius tonight. My first new car.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular

Seriously.

Never gets old.

Actually, I'm going to be signing for a 2012 Prius tonight. My first new car.

Sorry to hear that.

• Options

Seriously.

Never gets old.

I drove a late-90's Ford for three years. That's close enough, right??

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Psst! It doesn't matter how loud it is if it's still slow, lol!

I dunno. After I added my intake and exhaust to my 2.5rs I enjoyed the driving experience quite a bit more. It is much more visceral. While mine aren't loud they do make a nice rumble when I accelerate. Of course those things might add 5-10 hp.

On the other hand I do find it a bit annoying when a car has no muffler and sounds like a friken jet engine while cruising around at 35mph. So there is some sort of happy medium.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    This is vaguely vehicle related but I saw this article on reddit/jalopnik where they were asking people to identify a car part that fell of in a hit in run. The guys over at Jalopnik figured it out in about 30 minutes.

http://jalopnik.com/5900586/identify-this-car-part-and-help-catch-a-killer

• Options
    This is vaguely vehicle related but I saw this article on reddit/jalopnik where they were asking people to identify a car part that fell of in a hit in run. The guys over at Jalopnik figured it out in about 30 minutes.

http://jalopnik.com/5900586/identify-this-car-part-and-help-catch-a-killer

LOL

I have been involved in those on The Car Lounge several times.

I haven't posted there in years though, basically since I started posting on here. :P

Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I was more blown away by this story.

Jesus.

emp123 on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So I have installed aftermarket exhaust, intake, blow off valve, and relfashed my Genesis Turbo.

Everything is loud.

Exhaust= Loud
    Intake= Loud
    Turbo= Loud
    Blow off valve= Loud

I have yet to do the exhaust, but I can relate. Before I got the chip tune, intake, and upgraded BOV people told me, "Man, you think it's cool now, but that 'pssshhhhh' sound every time you shift is gonna get old real fast."

It's been 2 years, still isn't old.

I just wish decent exhausts weren't so dang expensive. Every time I come close to getting enough cash together, something breaks. Either on the car, or in my house.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »

Everything is loud.

Exhaust= Loud
    Intake= Loud
    Turbo= Loud
    Blow off valve= Loud

I have yet to do the exhaust, but I can relate. Before I got the chip tune, intake, and upgraded BOV people told me, "Man, you think it's cool now, but that 'pssshhhhh' sound every time you shift is gonna get old real fast."

It's been 2 years, still isn't old.

I just wish decent exhausts weren't so dang expensive. Every time I come close to getting enough cash together, something breaks. Either on the car, or in my house.

Turbo Beetle right?

Steam