As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Worth noting: if you install dampener rings (basically, tiny rubber washers to soften the "bottoming out" thud) on a keyboard with Browns, it becomes extremely quiet, with a slightly shorter travel distance.

My WASD Keyboard is set up this way and I love it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    And you're still left with the "mechanical keyboard feel" that I've been enjoying with my Blackwidow?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Kris wrote: »
    And you're still left with the "mechanical keyboard feel" that I've been enjoying with my Blackwidow?

Yep. They just soften up the sound of the "landing" at the bottom of each keystroke, but you still retain the same typing feel.

Holy fucking shit. That's the worst and most amazing thing ever.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Oh god, that thing might as well come with a set of skinny jeans and lensless glasses.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Bookmarking this dead thread was worth it, it seems.

It actually looks nice. What the flying fuck at the price though.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so in my user newegg loyalty deals i had a 15% off coupon code for Das Keyboards if anyone is interested

camo_sig.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I also have one if there are any others interested.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »

It's a real old typewriter, of course it looks nice. And I assume the price is because they would have to fit sensors to every key mechanism somehow, and then a logic board to decode it all.

EVOL wrote: »

It's a real old typewriter, of course it looks nice. And I assume the price is because they would have to fit sensors to every key mechanism somehow, and then a logic board to decode it all.

And don't forget to factor in the insufferable hipster marketing budget.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    oh, here's this thread. i couldn't find it earlier.

Due to an unfortunate occurance i've got some sticky spilled on my Leopold. everything is working as it should except the spacebar(of fucking course) which is sticking. Bad.

I've disassembled and wiped everything down as best I can, but the way this board is built the bar that connects the two side springs to the actual switch for the spacebar is recessed between the plastic top the switches sit on and the board that stuff is soldered to. Short of desoldering(which i am nowhere near competent enough to do) i cannot get it apart to clean that area, and i'm pretty sure that's the problem.

So, anyone have experience/recommendations on a way to salvage this thing? I'm typing on it right now but it's driving me nuts, and is basically worthless in any games.

Cherry blue switches, no USB hub built in although the scroll and caps locks have LEDs in 'em, if that makes a difference. As it is right now i'm going to need a new board because I can't really use this one for long without getting frustrated at how bad the spacebar has become.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Due to an unfortunate occurance i've got some sticky spilled on my Leopold. everything is working as it should except the spacebar(of fucking course) which is sticking. Bad.

I've disassembled and wiped everything down as best I can, but the way this board is built the bar that connects the two side springs to the actual switch for the spacebar is recessed between the plastic top the switches sit on and the board that stuff is soldered to. Short of desoldering(which i am nowhere near competent enough to do) i cannot get it apart to clean that area, and i'm pretty sure that's the problem.

So, anyone have experience/recommendations on a way to salvage this thing? I'm typing on it right now but it's driving me nuts, and is basically worthless in any games.

Cherry blue switches, no USB hub built in although the scroll and caps locks have LEDs in 'em, if that makes a difference. As it is right now i'm going to need a new board because I can't really use this one for long without getting frustrated at how bad the spacebar has become.

you could try putting it through a dishwasher on a rinse cycle with no soap, and cold water if possible, as long as you make sure it's all dry before plugging it back in you'll be fine.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

I'm sure someone over at geekhack.org would be able to tell you if you didn't find anything.

I'm not so sure on the dishwasher, because I have really hard water.

No idea what the minerals would do to the circuit board but it surely wouldn't be good.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Someone earlier in the thread dumped some rubbing alcohol into their board to clean it out and it worked. Could give that a try.

I've saved keyboards with the dishwasher. The key is to stick the whole thing in a huge sack of rice for at least 3 days when you take it out.

I tried dripping a bit on the effected area, my next step if no one has a better idea is to dunk the whole board and just actuate the stuck key a whole bunch to hopefully clear it. Then let it dry all night even though it should evaporate quickly.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ow, ow ow.

The resistance on the BlackWidow Stealth, combined with Diablo 3, is fucking up my left pinky. I broke this finger once, and the heavy use of left Shift is bringing the pain back. I may have to switch back to the Quickfire with the Cherry Blues. But I still love my Blackwidow.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Looking at the Thermaltake Meka G1 keyboard and it has pad printed keys. Never used a mechanical keyboard yet, so my question is: How easy would it be to replace the keycaps once they start wearing (preferably with something that wont rub off so easy)? Will any Cherry MX keycap work?

having just earlier today pulled all the keys off my board and put 'em back on, cherry keycaps are trivial to change

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Yep, it's literally just a matter of lifting until they pop off. Nothing tricky about it. Some of the larger keys will use little stabilizer bars that you have to carefully unhook as you pull them apart, but they're not terribly difficult either. And cherry keycaps are pretty much universal. You'll be able to buy new ones online and they'll be sure to fit fine.

For replacement keys, I'll plug the guy that made my custom board: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

They make custom key sets in tons of colors, printed with whatever you want on the keys, with your choice of printing/engraving method.

minor incident on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Glad to see this thread resurrected. It led me to buy a Das Keyboard Silent (cherry brown) I found on sale, and now I'm a complete mechanical keyboard convert. Elitist, even. I already bought a second one to have at work, on my own dime. I think I quite literally cringe a little when I have to hop over to someone else's membrane keyboard to help them with something.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Glad to see this thread resurrected. It led me to buy a Das Keyboard Silent (cherry brown) I found on sale, and now I'm a complete mechanical keyboard convert. Elitist, even. I already bought a second one to have at work, on my own dime. I think I quite literally cringe a little when I have to hop over to someone else's membrane keyboard to help them with something.

Hi 5 Das Silent Pro brother. It really is quite the keyboard.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2012
    Thinking about ordering a set of wasdkeyboard laser etched keycaps for my Das. I can barely read the letters on some of my keys already. Plus I'd like to get dark gray key caps with a blue WASD cluster...so my keyboard would be the shiny black shell, with dark gray and blue keys.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Thinking about ordering a set of wasdkeyboard laser etched keycaps for my Das. I can barely read the letters on some of my keys already. Plus I'd like to get dark gray key caps with a blue WASD cluster...so my keyboard would be the shiny black shell, with dark gray and blue keys.

I'm such a nerd, I ordered my WASD with alternate sets of WASD keys in blue, red, and grey. I can change my fragging colors based on my whims!

edited May 2012
    Yeah, so far I have a custom set of dark grey keys, blue WASD and the Zelda triforce as my Windows key.

If I order a set of these from WASD, will they send me the key popper tool, or can I order one from them?

e: Also, which is better for the wear of the key, and not having the lettering fade, laser etched or engraved?

GnomeTank on
    edited May 2012
    I believe they only send the free popper with keyboards and maybe full key sets. For smaller sets of key orders, I believe you have to pay for one, which they will sell you.

I can't really see either method fading. The only difference really is the level of contrast. One is more subtle, while the other gets a bit of a contrasting color to the etching. Neither will wear off anytime soon like pad printing will.

Of course, I skipped the decision all together and went for blank keys.

minor incident on
    edited May 2012
    I'm ordering a full key-cap set.

Here's what they will look like (link to WASD's keycap builder):

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html?kt=1&k=1&s=3802a790a46bbd07be516237da0ff53d

e: Updated with some changes.

GnomeTank on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html?kt=1&k=1&s=cf9286ea3ff7def873076ec1ecaa0d2b

You are such a nerd. Also I totally wish I could convince my work that I needed a nice mechanical keyboard

smokmnky wrote: »

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html?kt=1&k=1&s=cf9286ea3ff7def873076ec1ecaa0d2b

You are such a nerd. Also I totally wish I could convince my work that I needed a nice mechanical keyboard

You think I'm a nerd now, wait until you see what I updated the 'Menu' key to be in the updated layout I linked.

You nerd.

It looks awesome. 8->

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    smokmnky wrote: »

You think I'm a nerd now, wait until you see what I updated the 'Menu' key to be in the updated layout I linked.

Ha ok that is pretty funny.

These dell keyboards suck that we have at work. I'd been using my own Apple Bluetooth one but I miss the number pad and print scrn keys

Well, I can't order these right this very second...buying a new 670, D3 Collector's, a standard copy of D3, a plane ticket for a friend, and a plane ticket for a dog, all in one pay check, leaves a distinct void of spendable cash...

So when I get paid, I am ordering that key cap set.

so today i'm trying soaking my switches and then letting 'em dry.

this may salvage my board but i won't know for sure until tomorrow because fuck trying it out until it's dried overnight.

This means I kinda wanna order another keyboard right now so i can be sure and have it by the weekend. I really like my cherry blues, but i'm thinking maybe i should try something else in case i do manage to save this one.

I'm looking at some reds and some browns and trying to decide right now.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

Speaking of insufferable hipsters...

Hey

hey alecthar

I have blank keycaps too!

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Alecthar wrote: »

Hey now. You're just jealous of my sexxxxy typing peripheral.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey

hey alecthar

I have blank keycaps too!

Ooooh, look who can touch-type. Let's see you try that crap without color-coded WASD keys and raised nibs on "f" and "j".

Alecthar wrote: »

Hey now. You're just jealous of my sexxxxy typing peripheral.

It's true. I'm desperate for the glasses you wear ironically, and your needlessly un-color-coordinated wardrobe.

Really, though, I have some respect for your guys' choice. I could never go blank keycaps. I could type no issue, and depending on the layout the function keys wouldn't be an issue, nor would the numpad, but I can never fucking remember which symbols correspond to which numbers, and when I can't see the top row of number keys I always end up with a tilde when I wanted an exclamation point.

Alecthar on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ah, why did I splurge on a second keyboard. Anyone want to buy a Quickfire Rapid (Cherry Blues) before I put it on Ebay?

It's too tiny! I'm sticking with the BlackWidow Stealth. I blew money on it for no reason. I will sell it for my Razer Naga Hex fund cause I wants it precious.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767