As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sorry I wasn't able to keep it open much past 5, they shut me down :-(

If you didn't get your badge during will-call you will be able to get it in PC room on Friday.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Server IP's available but only some are available as of thursday evening.
    CSS server IP is:108.20.112.29:27015(UP!!)
    Minecraft Server IP: play.minglecraft.com(Currently Down)
    TF2 Server Ip: 108.20.112.29:27016(UP!!)
    BF3 Server IP: coming Soon-having update issues

More Servers to come.....

Jonoseel on
    Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't able to keep it open much past 5, they shut me down :-(

If you didn't get your badge during will-call you will be able to get it in PC room on Friday.

How does that work if we were looking to bring our computer in at the earlier time of 8am? How would we get in if we don't have the BYOC badge? Also, what if we have a large computer that needs to come in through the docks anyway?

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    ky13 wrote: »
    Also, what if we have a large computer that needs to come in through the docks anyway?

I don't believe we have access to the docks this year.

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User regular
    We did earlier today...but i think they closed it down

Crossing fingers for a better network today.

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    FuzzDad wrote: »
    Crossing fingers for a better network today.

You and me both. Made some changes last night to keep people from leeching from each other. We'll see how it goes.

yBfDKg5.png
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    well this has been disappointing. I know Red its not your fault, and I hope you can pass on our disappointment to PA and the MCCA.

We've gone through half of the event without being able to play games. BYOC has pretty much turned into a $30 storage locker for most people.

The only games that work are hacked non-internet games. No starcraft, LoL, BF3, Steam, etc. Get kicked out after a few minutes, if you're lucky enough to even get in a game.

7jIDTca.png
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Also, I don't think its the internal network thats the problem. Getting to the local pax server seems great -- its the outside connection that seems saturated.

7jIDTca.png
  • mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    Pax was a joke. I heard about 10 different reasons why it wHy it wasn't working come to find out nvidia bought up the majority of the pipe so the 35/35 was almost all used and they left us with about enough bandwidth for a dsl speed connection. Big red new this early Friday...they should have given us full refunds if not something because some purchased multiple seats... This was nothing but bs.... Will never go back too byoc... I tossed myasses at them before leaving and said give them to someone else who wants to twiddle their thumbs and do nothing....lm considering disputing the charges for a service not rendered....

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Honestly, it has been MUCH, MUCH better today. I have had no problems at the PC Security desk or at my computer in BYOC. And honestly, if you go to a LAN to play games on the internet, you're doing something wrong.

JfqWFk8.png
    It is much better today...all my games run fine except ME3...so it's all goodness.

Yeah it's called LANfest not Internetfest. Asking as the intel servers works that fine I had so much playing tf2 prop hunt and medieval. Stop complaint about getting onto servers that aren't on the LAN

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    Yeah it's called LANfest not Internetfest. Asking as the intel servers works that fine I had so much playing tf2 prop hunt and medieval. Stop complaint about getting onto servers that aren't on the LAN

I think the issue is more that many games *require* an internet connection to launch, even if they don't need one for LAN play. Steam, for instance, needs to authenticate when it opens, after which time it can be set to offline mode to play without a connection - but you still need it at first.

Still had a blast playing TF2 (even though I suck :)) and Minecraft. Hopefully next year the tubes won't be so clogged.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    I came to the byoc area to make friends and have fun but the last thing i expect is someone to go around stealing prizes. An $80 mouse and $100 keyboard was taken. its obvious that the person that took it was raised by terrible parents, and i feel bad for there future offspring.

• HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    BYOC was a disaster. From the clogged tubes to the steam validation problems to the lousy security. Sorry BigRed your team of enforcers did a very bad job at security. As someone who brought a laptop to BYOC, security never asked to see a bag as people wandered in an out. Each night I took my laptop back to the hotel. Never once was I asked if I had anything.

As to Jonoseel having gear stolen, I am not surprised. There were literally hundreds of non-BYOC people crowding the entrance everyday. More than any of the enforcers could in good conscience keep an eye on. I would HOPE no BYOC attendant stole from one of us but that's the way it it is.

Might I make a suggestion that BYOC be moved (again) to a more secure area and how about you tag gear (not just rigs but whatever the attendants want) with rfid stickers. Should have to go through a scanner at the entrance (think retail store). Hell even tag the prizes.

Was great seeing you guys just not a great overall experience. BYOC needs a complete overhaul IMHO.

edit: Full disclosure. I did not attend BYOC on Sunday.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Panzer XiIIPanzer XiII Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey Red, just wanted to thank you again for making BYOC as awesome as it could have been.

And we all know, FUCK League of Legends! :D:D:D

Panzer XiII on
  • GannoGanno Registered User regular
    Despite the difficulties, thank you Red and the BYOC Enforcer team for all the work you put in before, during, and after the show. I think we had a couple of things not go our way this year, not the least of which is just the layout of the BCEC...I miss Hynes so much. Hearing hooting and hollering for free t-shirts every five minutes gets a little old after a few hours :)

I think, for next year, what the PAX team can do is ensure that BYOC has its fair share of pipe. If Nvidia muscled its way into most of it to run its crappy workstations (4:3 monitors on most everything..really?...what's the point?), that's not cool. But what we can do is organize much better via the forum ahead of time...and by that I mean set up or designate servers for the games that most of us want to play. Someone did do it for BF3 earlier in this thread, and I added that as a Favorite, but no one was on it all weekend.

Have a safe trip home everyone and hopefully see most of you next year.

jaafe2a95twb.png
    Yeah we know there were network issues. We will certinaly be using a new networking solution for future events.

Re: prizes being stolen. That sucks :-( We are sorry about that. Sugguestion is to store that stuff out of sight or in hotel room. At least we didnt have any tagged items stolen.

Re: Laptops... We arent allowed to search bags, all we cando is ask if anybody is checking anything out. Security was doing that for the most part.

The RFID thing is an intresting idea. Do you have any info on costs of that? It might be a viable solution for BYOC.

We apoligize for the networking problems. I was organized for contests and whatnot but I threw that schedule out due to the networking stuff. Thats why there was so many non-tech stuff going on during friday :P For future events ill have a backup list of games that dont need internet (evethough I shouldnt have to). I tried the best I could to keep people engaged and entertained considering the issues.

If the network problems seriously ruined your expereince this year we can offer a refund for BYOC. Just email [email protected] and request one.

Sorry for typos. Typing this on my iphone during teardown. Ill make a more detailed post after I get home and recovered. Probably on Wed.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Sure there were issues and there were certainly ways things could have been organized differently to possibly make them a bit more efficient, but all in all a good time was had and the improvisation of the schedule worked well. Hard Drive Shuffleboard and the Paper Airplane contest were both a lot of fun, for example (and I'm not just saying that because I got SSDs out of it ;)). A great change up and way to get people's minds off the clogged tubes. Most of the fun for shuffleboard was in spectating, in my opinion, so doing something like giving everyone a number and doing a single-elimination bracket setup would have been nice because it would have alleviated some of the waiting in line feeling with match-ups being able to be called simply by number, and would have allowed people to gather around to watch more instead of just watching from line.

Again, I understand that there were schedule changes and whatnot that likely meant these events were far less organized than they would have otherwise been since you were also dealing with everything else...

Thanks for all of the hard work. I'm still looking forward to next year despite the hiccups this go around.

JQ1qRPt.png
    Some suggestions for BYOC:
    T-shirts for each attendee(or as an option)
    RFID is a great idea prices range from $100 for 500 tags and $500 for scanners.
    We should have our own room separate from freeplay.

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Using an EAS or RFID system is an interesting idea.... Did a quick google or two and it's cheaper than I thought it would be.

Between $500-750 for door antennae http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/529850150-EAS-system-RF-antenna-RF-8-2MHz-for-Checkpoint-tags-and-all-8-2-MHz-tags-wholesalers.html

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    Of course just using labels would make removing them fairly trivial, and then you just have some fancy scanners decorating the entrance.

But that's a problem for someone smarter than me to solve :P

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    We should have our own room separate from freeplay.

Not going to happen.

That was last east (2011) and it was terrible. BYOC Feeds off of the energy from freeplay and it sucked last year because it was like a tomb due to it being in a separate room.

However, room different than expo? Yes please. That shit was too fucking loud.

• lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    I kept small things that I cared about with me in my backpack, and locked large things to the table.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Hey Folks! Thanks for coming PAX East!

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure to provide room security, check-in/out, and overall ensuring that you guys had no problems getting in or out.

Keep up with the suggestions on how we might be able to provide better security. This year was especially difficult to secure every ingress/egress due to the partitioned wall behind BYOC and just generally being on the show floor. The wall was staffed by PC Security Enforcers and MCCA Public Safety during all show hours and a uniformed security patrol in the room overnight.

The RFID is an interesting idea. I can't make any promises, but I like how creative and researchful (that even a word?) y'all have been!

In addition, I welcome any comments regarding security. I appreciate all feedback.

Last but not least, I have to give out a big thanks to the Enforcers in the PC room who did an amazing job at everything!

Time for me to recoup!! See you all at PAX Prime 2012 in Seattle!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Clogged tubes happen. It is true that alot of games require internet to get started at lans nowadays though. I was checked every time entering the byoc and the enforcers blocked the general public fine. My experience was good as I only play a few games then check out the panels/expo/concerts. I definitely don't commit as much time as the real committed people. I'd love to be in it more but there is just to much going on everywhere!

The enforcers/Bigred did a exceptional job with the circumstances that occurred.

• GannoGanno Registered User regular
    Just wanted to reiterate, because I don't think it was clear in my earlier post, that I view the things that posed some challenges as completely beyond the control of Red and the team. You guys do an *amazing*, *awesome* job, and I will always be in BYOC for as long as PAX comes to Boston and assuming I get signed up in time (darn you 2011).

What also wasn't totally clear in the earlier post is that I meant we, as in the BYOC attendee community, should use this forum much more for organizing events during our LAN party. For example, I thought about organizing a "casual" Starcraft II tournament...something for "competitive newbs" like me who love the game but still haven't even gotten through all my practice league matches. But I didn't take the time to do it...shame on me. We all have to do that kind of stuff, and I will be doing so for next year. Maybe now is a good time to start: everyone...please come with at least 3 LAN-only enabled games installed. Warcraft III, Half-Life 2(I think), whatever. My buddy and I were doing Warcraft III comp stomps and having a great time.

If I could have one wish from the PAX East BYOC genie, it would be to have a room as close to the 2010 Hynes room as possible. Big, but with low ceilings and minimal ambient noise, enough room for BYOC and PC Freeplay (perhaps Nvidia wouldn't agree but f them), very controllable entry/egress points, etc. Like if we could basically switch with console freeplay or something...that would be awesome.

Thanks again guys for a great weekend.

jaafe2a95twb.png
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Oh god, please. A room other than the expo hall next year. The blindfolded FPS was a nightmare because while my partner would be giving me directions, all the guys over at the Riot booth would be shouting and cheering leaving me unable to hear my partner. Im also sure you've heard it enough but please sort out the network issues for the next BYOC.

Hey, what was the reason that BYOC entry was bumped to 10:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday? It was to my understanding that it was open from 8 onwards. The guys around me in BYOC said that it was likely because 8 AM was for checkin only on friday, but with the amount of people other than myself waiting for BYOC on saturday that seems unlikely. Along with that, any idea why the vending machine was removed?

Also, good work enforcers! BigRed, you were a huge help. I had alot of questions and such that you were able to help answer when Enforcers redirected me to you.

That was my first BYOC and I had a blast! I'll definitely be on the lookout for registration for 2013's BYOC.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh god, please. A room other than the expo hall next year. The blindfolded FPS was a nightmare because while my partner would be giving me directions, all the guys over at the Riot booth would be shouting and cheering leaving me unable to hear my partner. Im also sure you've heard it enough but please sort out the network issues for the next BYOC.

Hey, what was the reason that BYOC entry was bumped to 10:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday? It was to my understanding that it was open from 8 onwards. The guys around me in BYOC said that it was likely because 8 AM was for checkin only on friday, but with the amount of people other than myself waiting for BYOC on saturday that seems unlikely. Along with that, any idea why the vending machine was removed?

Also, good work enforcers! BigRed, you were a huge help. I had alot of questions and such that you were able to help answer when Enforcers redirected me to you.

That was my first BYOC and I had a blast! I'll definitely be on the lookout for registration for 2013's BYOC.
    byoc is always 10 on sat and sun, it is only open early on friday for checkin

• sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    This was my third East, but first BYOC, and even though it seemed bumpier than it should have been, I still am really glad I was there. Yeah, it was a bummer that the internet was a bit pokey (especially now that so many games require it--it was funny to see people break out UT and Q3), and while I didn't have problems with theft, hearing that someone did DEFINITELY sucks. That said, for me, it was the first PAX where I didn't end each day with my shoulders and lower back destroyed from lugging my backpack with me all day long, so I was in a pretty good mood all weekend.

Criticisms & suggestions:
    - the two big, projected info screens didn't seem to be in sync. The one at the Intel stage usually had more stuff on it. I was by the screen in the back left corner, which didn't seem to get updated nearly as often. It's a small thing, but it'd be nice to have them displaying the same stuff. Especially for half-blind people like myself.
    - since we need security, it seems a bit challenging to place us somewhere with so many "soft points" of ingress. Floor 0 was effectively divided into 4 spaces: exhibitor hall (1), ExH/PC/BYOC (2), Tabletop (3), and Queue/Foodcourt (4). Wouldn't it cut down on points of ingress if we swapped places with the Queue room, so that we are nestled against as many solid walls as possible in (4)? Maybe have the queue room share space with the exhibitor hall in (2), and then instead of cohabiting with the Exhibitor hall, we would cohabit with the food court.. That would also really cut down on noise, barring any particularly rowdy Carcassonne matches going on in Tabletop, provided it's still in (3).
    - I really appreciated the water coolers in the BYOC area, a lot. When I discovered one of them had hot water, I brought in some instant hot beverage mixes. One is sufficient, but it would have been even gravier if all the water coolers could dispense deliciously scalding hot water.
    - As a newbie, I was a little bit lost trying to figure out what multiplayer games were going on in the BYOC area itself. I was confused to even know what to bring. This idea might already have been thought and shot down, but as a total newb, it would have been helpful if there were a concrete schedule of events with specific games posted before PAX started. Obviously, people would be free to do whatever they wanted, but there would be some structure there for help push things along. Having a list of "contingency plan" (i.e. LAN games) should probably become a norm, too, after the network issues we had.
    - As for RFID's, would that really help? I think they're mostly helpful when robots are doing the scanning. If a human being has to visually confirm everything, you're subject to pretty much the same bottlenecks. I might have just had good timing, but I didn't notice any logjams getting into or out of security, thus RFID's might add extra cost with little benefit. RFID wouldn't solve the laptop in a bag issue anyway. Plenty of bags don't have laptops, thus most bags will still enter and leave the area willy nilly. And if someone did want to steal a laptop, I'm sure they'd remove the RFID tag before sneaking it out, so, again, problem not solved.

Overall, BYOC made a really great first impression on me. Many thanks to Red and everyone who helped make it happen! Looking forward to next year (or maybe Prime, if I can ever swing it)!

sigma8 wrote: »
    - As for RFID's, would that really help? I think they're mostly helpful when robots are doing the scanning. If a human being has to visually confirm everything, you're subject to pretty much the same bottlenecks. I might have just had good timing, but I didn't notice any logjams getting into or out of security, thus RFID's might add extra cost with little benefit. RFID wouldn't solve the laptop in a bag issue anyway. Plenty of bags don't have laptops, thus most bags will still enter and leave the area willy nilly. And if someone did want to steal a laptop, I'm sure they'd remove the RFID tag before sneaking it out, so, again, problem not solved.

I'm not sure you're understanding what RFIDs are, or how they are used for loss-prevention? They are a passive radio frequency (hey, RF) technology. You put tags or labels on/in the PC equipment that is checked in to the BYOC. You place some of the antennas that I posted earlier around the exits. If anyone tries to leave with an RFID-tagged item (like a laptop in a bag) it will, ostensibly, set off the alarm. At that point, hopefully, the [E]s could compel the person to reveal any pilfered items. Like I said before, since anyone IN the BYOC area has probably already checked their own computer equipment in, they would know to just remove the tag/label before carrying it out, so you would almost have to do what clothing retailers do and 'lock' the tag onto the equipment in some way that only BYOC staff could easily and quickly remove it.

• efessefess Registered User new member
    This year was my first year at PAX, and i'm glad I got the BYOC pass. Obviously the internets provided issues, hopefully this will be fixed at the next one. Unexpected patching and driver updates is just going to happen, not to mention the games that require a connection, plus steam. I did notice some weird LAN issues - such as not being able to browse for LAN games (having to use the Connect TO IP option), not sure if this can be fixed, but it did waste a bunch of time.

The intranet site was awesome, shoutbox was cool for posting messages. Vent was pretty sweet too, but not everyone had a headset (or vent installed). It'd probably be easier to get a web based IRC chat going, where people can organize games. The game browser was amazing, but I just wish there was a way to post a description or comment next to the server for things such as "Get game files from \\server\share"

I thought security was pretty good. It should be more apparent that alcohol isn't allowed though, especially when you could get a beer right upstairs.

tell intel to put the pictures up on there picasa

• TheRealMadisonTheRealMadison Registered User new member
    I was impressed with security going in, but as the show went on it became more lack luster. I watched more than one person walk in without an enforcer seeing them. Having two entrances didn't really help. I usually had to go out of my way to show someone my pass. Perhaps next year, if it's the same set up, just use the one backside entrance. That way someone has to run a gauntlet of enforcers instead of jumping across the 6 foot wide gap with two people.

I also agree with efess, it was hard to figure out what was going on. The screen at the ends would have been a great way to push out more info, but while I was there seemed the only thing was about the internet or the file server.

Sucks about the network, but without a backup plan if your ISP blows, not much you can do about that on the fly. Still a few UT2004 matches or something might of been good. My friends and I did that between us on sat night.

• SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    Location Location Location

Only real issue I found with the whole BYOC event was stated nicely by BigRed.
    BigRed wrote: »
    However, room different than expo? Yes please. That shit was too fucking loud.

It is a shame that the network was not uber strong and fast but it happens, its not the end of a LAN or at least shouldn't be if the internet goes down. Am I the only one around that still keeps old games installed from the original disk? (Quake 3, Quake ect?)

Might be an idea for LAN's to come to nab some older copies of these games that are pre-steam/download service so the install files can be hosted off a local network so it can be installed and run local so no internet is needed to start the game.

Other then that I had a great time pimping my payphone PC. I hope to see some pictures of it and the guy sitting behind it floating around the intertubes in the coming months!

flatline wrote: »
    I'm not sure you're understanding what RFIDs are, or how they are used for loss-prevention? They are a passive radio frequency (hey, RF) technology. You put tags or labels on/in the PC equipment that is checked in to the BYOC. You place some of the antennas that I posted earlier around the exits. If anyone tries to leave with an RFID-tagged item (like a laptop in a bag) it will, ostensibly, set off the alarm. At that point, hopefully, the [E]s could compel the person to reveal any pilfered items. Like I said before, since anyone IN the BYOC area has probably already checked their own computer equipment in, they would know to just remove the tag/label before carrying it out, so you would almost have to do what clothing retailers do and 'lock' the tag onto the equipment in some way that only BYOC staff could easily and quickly remove it.
    Right, but couldn't a thief just remove or damage the RFID tag and then walk right out with the stolen goods? That puts us right back where we started, and in fact may make Enforcers less vigilant, since they may be trusting the system too much.

RFID's are tags, and are more technologically advanced QR codes or barcodes, which are also tags. However, RFID doesn't improve upon a situation where something isn't tagged. If something isn't tagged, you still have to use hands and eyeballs. Thus, the system is only reliable if you can guarantee the tags. It might be easy to hide or securely stick a tag into a desktop, but probably not quite as easy with more portable, closed-up things like laptops--and I think it's those types of things that we're worried about walking out in bags.

IMO, they need to get permission to do a bag check. I wonder if it really is illegal to require bag checks. I live in Massachusetts and feel like my bag gets checked fairly regularly by various places.

Other then that I had a great time pimping my payphone PC. I hope to see some pictures of it and the guy sitting behind it floating around the intertubes in the coming months!
    I have about a dozen pictures of the back of your pay phone PC, if you need them :)

• TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Red, the biggest mistake you made on Friday when the network issues were the worst was not dropping some phat beats and mad rhymez on the mic.

EDIT: Spelled "phat" wrong. Corrected!

TheTerribleMan on