As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extra Credits: Season 4, Ep. 8 - Games You Might Not Have Tried #3

• Options
    JarkeldJarkeld Heemskerk, NH, NLRegistered User regular
    Played Rock of Ages already. I'll take a look at the other mentions. The previous episodes yielded a couple of games I really love.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Reccetear was great... right up until the story ended and the final content was locked behind a wall of grinding. I just don't have the right mentality for that to appeal to me.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    tube are you really the robot

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Most of these games are not that obscure.

They really should advertise some smaller games like Geneforge or Space Pirates and Zombies.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I hadn't heard of any of these, except Reccetear! Maybe not obscure, but definitely not high profile.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular

They really should advertise some smaller games like Geneforge or Space Pirates and Zombies.

When I read indie rock music blogs, there is always some guys in the comments going, "Are you guys really doing a post about The XX? I thought this was an indie blog. How about covering some REAL indie bands like Oberhofer?"

This is what you're doing.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Lux wrote: »

When I read indie rock music blogs, there is always some guys in the comments going, "Are you guys really doing a post about The XX? I thought this was an indie blog. How about covering some REAL indie bands like Oberhofer?"

Thank you for sharing the fact that you've experienced a similar phenomenon earlier in your life and telling me that you have drawn a comparison between the two events. That's very nice to know.

• Options
    MythalinearMythalinear Registered User new member
    Evil Genius should get in the next batch. Dungeon Keeper meets The Sims meets 007. With a fantastic music score, smart humor, and game-play that you literally can not find anywhere else (I've looked high and low) Evil Genius is the only world domination simulation that has outstanding style. (where else do you get synchronized scuba agents in the load screen or get to steal the Eiffel Tower and put it in your inner Sanctum as a trophy!) I wish that they had made another one...

I think Ghost Master deserves an honorable mention too. It's like the Sims except you play as the ghosts in their house and try to make their lives miserable.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular

Thank you for sharing the fact that you've experienced a similar phenomenon earlier in your life and telling me that you have drawn a comparison between the two events. That's very nice to know.

Hey man, anytime. I have a ton of them!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

This immediately sprung to mind for me as well, except on RPG forums focusing on less known games.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Being sarcastic about it doesn't make it not true.

That said, I'll be sure to look up those games you mentioned.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Evil Genius should get in the next batch. Dungeon Keeper meets The Sims meets 007. With a fantastic music score, smart humor, and game-play that you literally can not find anywhere else (I've looked high and low) Evil Genius is the only world domination simulation that has outstanding style. (where else do you get synchronized scuba agents in the load screen or get to steal the Eiffel Tower and put it in your inner Sanctum as a trophy!) I wish that they had made another one...

I think Ghost Master deserves an honorable mention too. It's like the Sims except you play as the ghosts in their house and try to make their lives miserable.

Speaking of Dungeon Keeper, did anyone try Dungeons?

Dungeons did something horribly wrong that made it bland, lifeless and boring compared to Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

• Options
    MythalinearMythalinear Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Ivar wrote: »
    Speaking of Dungeon Keeper, did anyone try Dungeons?

Dungeons did something horribly wrong that made it bland, lifeless and boring compared to Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

I have Dungeons, it's alright. The fundamental difference between the two is that in Dungeon Keeper you were managing your minions (catering to their needs, leveling them up, etc) to eventually go out and kill the good guys. In Dungeons you manage the Heroes (catering to their desires) to make them happy and then 'harvesting' them by having your avatar run up and hit them with a big stick.

Dungeon Keeper is more like an RTS and Dungeons is more like one of those 'create your own restaurant and serve the customers' games. In Dungeon Keeper the goal is simple and fun, run an evil lair full of monsters and kill the good guys. In Dungeons the goal is simple but not as fun, keep the heroes happy and then kill them for their happy energy... I don't think it had the same sense of accomplishment or payoff as actually wrecking havoc on bastions of goodness.

Another fundamental difference was that of minion rolls. In Dungeon Keeper each minion type had personality and purpose, (who could forget the Maidens?) in Dungeons your minions are bland, being either mindless beasts or the fat little goblins who do your digging and carrying.

And then there was the simple fact that, Dungeon Keeper just felt more BA than Dungeons.

Dungeons is a good game though, a pity it had to be cast in the shadow of Dungeon Keeper.

Personally I think Evil Genius was the spiritual successor to the late Dungeon Keeper series. Between the trap system to deal with incoming agents and all those multicolored minions / henchmen with their antics I am always thoroughly amused.

Mythalinear on
  • Options
    Love Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper. Dislike Dungeons, mainly as it is not Dungeon Keeper. Perhaps not having known the greatness of Dungeon Keeper I'd have liked Dungeons.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Every time someone mentions Dear Esther, my hunger for another game like that but with a better story grows. I am getting pretty damn hungry guys.

• Options
    With the focus of most games being just improving the graphics and neglecting the story, you'll probably keep getting hungrier :(

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Fans of Dungeon Keeper may want to keep an eye on War for the Overworld. It's a fan-made game that started out as an unofficial DK sequel, but has since transitioned to using original characters, but similar gameplay.

http://warfortheoverworld.com/
    http://subterraneangames.com/

• Options
    TakutoTakuto Registered User new member
    I was disappointed that Katawa Shoujo was not at any point mentioned, it might not be bringing anything new to the table (other than being as far as I know the only VN made in the west for western players) but its the best story told by a game I have seen for a very long time.

• Options
    Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    Jarkeld wrote: »
    With the focus of most games being just improving the graphics and neglecting the story, you'll probably keep getting hungrier :(

I totally agree. However with the Wii U being the last of the three to go HD, there might be a move from graphics to accessibility, or some other crap I keep hearing about. We may have finally hit the wall with sharp pictures, so our story may be coming soon.

Svenne345.jpg