As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When a broken unit gets charged, they have to take a Ld test to rally or get wiped out. I failed moral (chose to fail) in his shooting phase and was charged in his assault phase, so my marine unit had to take this test.

As far as I know, Marines have nothing to stop this from happening. Did I miss something?

Sharp101 on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Yeah, ATSKNF :P

edited April 2012
    SJ wrote: »

Shit, I assumed ATSKNF only worked when regrouping at the beginning of the turn. I didn't break out the codex to check :(

Well that would have changed things...

Sharp101 on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    It's any regroup, it doesn't specify when. The more you know. Still sounds like you put up a good fight though.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Shit, I assumed ATSKNF only worked when regrouping at the beginning of the turn. I didn't break out the codex to check :(

Haha you should have won the tournament.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2012
    To be honest, I probably would have lost the unit anyway.

Termi Libi + 5 marines + pfist sgt getting chargeed by an I6 Sorcerer + 7 Berzerkers + 5 Khorne Marines + Khorne Aspiring champion with pfist.

But that's really good to know since I thought it was the only real downside to using combat tactics in situations like that. The only weakness I see in it now is getting chased off the board.

Sharp101 on

Haha you should have won the tournament.

While winning the second game would probably should have changed the final game's matchup... I'm still going to agree with you. Oh well!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've never had a case where someone forgot or accidentally missused a rule so baddly that the game would have been totally different. Usually beacuse SJ is in the vacinity to point out errors. There have been times where things would have gone slightly the other way, but nothing ground breaking.

Of course there was the one guy during the ironman tournament who tried to use his Necron Gauss guns' special rule against my IG Armored Company in close combat. (I think that's what it was.) God that was a satisfying game. Oh look, I have a Vanquisher and two Demolishers left, you have two squads of warriors.

May 2nd guys. Then college is done and it will be time for 40k again. Finally.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Termi Libi + 5 marines + pfist sgt getting chargeed by an I6 Sorcerer + 7 Berzerkers + 5 Khorne Marines + Khorne Aspiring champion with pfist.

But that's really good to know since I thought it was the only real downside to using combat tactics in situations like that. The only weakness I see in it now is getting chased off the board.

Huh, I thought it was a full squad.

Huh, I thought it was a full squad.

Nah, I lost at least 3 of 11 because I had to test morale. I'm pretty sure I lost 4 bolter marines.

I'm going to blame this on only having 90mins to play our games :P

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well shit. According to current rumours about the new Chaos book, your HQ determines your legion. I really fucking hope it's not special characters, because the current special character do no represent the default legions.

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well shit. According to current rumours about the new Chaos book, your HQ determines your legion. I really fucking hope it's not special characters, because the current special character do no represent the default legions.

You mean Abaddon/Kharn/Typhus/Ahriman/Lucius don't? Because if that's what you're saying, you're crazy. They are all damn near the highest ranking people left from their respective legions.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well Ahriman is kind of an exile. He represents what the legion was rather than what they've become.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Loki- wrote: »

You mean Abaddon/Kharn/Typhus/Ahriman/Lucius don't? Because if that's what you're saying, you're crazy. They are all damn near the highest ranking people left from their respective legions.

Ahriman leads his own warband after he was kicked out of the legion for casting the rubric. Kharn is just a bloodhtirty nutter who joins with warbands to shed a bit of blood (to be fair, this is the same for any World Eater these days, but Kharne doesn't lead, he just kills). Typhus led a coup against Mortarion because he wanted to be out and about spreading nurgles love, and was kicked out by Mortarion. Lucius is the only special character that represents his legion as a whole, perfecting his skill and leading them.

The current crop of special characters (aside from Lucius) represent outcasts of the legions, not the legions themselves, and have combat styles much different to the legions they came from (for example, Mortarion despises the use of tanks, Typhus doesn't). It's like saying Shrike makes an army fight like Raven Guard. He doesn't. He makes them fight like his little band of merry men did when stranded on that planet.

The best way, if they want to make special characters do that, is give those special characters their own bonus, but make Chaos Lords with particular marks have a more 'normal' legion formation.

-Loki- on
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Touche.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I was just saying this weekend I want the new Chaos codex to have a sneaky Alpha Legion that doesn't bother with demons and mutated freaks since they aren't really Chaos at all.

Shit, they're like the most loyal.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited April 2012
    I was just saying this weekend I want the new Chaos codex to have a sneaky Alpha Legion that doesn't bother with demons and mutated freaks since they aren't really Chaos at all.

Shit, they're like the most loyal.

Rumour is Alpha Legion will be able to infiltrate their tanks.

Alpha Legion are the hardest to do justice to, because the way they fight means Alpha Legion shouldn't be on the table at all. They mostly get operatives to do the dirty work.

Or like, just automatically lose, because on turn 5, it's revealed that the opposing army is actually Alpha Legion, and you get to influence the game on the table next to you, because your battle was actually a diversion for Alpha Legion operatives to infiltrate that game.

-Loki- on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Everyone wants Alpha Legion represented on tabletop some how, but no one can seem to honestly detail their perks and abilities in a way that translates.

• Istvaan ShogaatsuIstvaan Shogaatsu Registered User regular
    If my Night Lords lose the ability to infiltrate because it's Alpha Legion's bag now, I'll be mighty upset.

I hope Night Lords at least get some kind of induced night fighting perk, or something to do with fear/terrorism...

If my Night Lords lose the ability to infiltrate because it's Alpha Legion's bag now, I'll be mighty upset.

I hope Night Lords at least get some kind of induced night fighting perk, or something to do with fear/terrorism...

My friends Night Lords army from the 3.5 edition codex was a blast to fight.

Everything in it either moved 12" (Bikes and Raptors) or infiltrated. The thing struck fast and hard. it was like being hit with a sack of door knobs. I mean, he still rarely beat my Salamanders with it, but it still a blast to fight and really different to the rest of his armies.

Though his tank hunting havocs with autocannons never accomplished anything. They always infiltrated into a good position to alpha strike one of my tanks off the board, then proceeded to never kill any tanks, even with 8 S8 shots per turn.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Alpha Legion rules box: pick an army from any codex except daemons.

Alternate: Non-alpha legion army always deploys first. After opponent's deployment roll a die. 2-3 the left half of the deployed army is revealed to be Alpha Legion. This is now your army for the rest of the game. Adjust game for new points value. 4-5 the right half is Alpha Legion. On a roll of a one, roll again. New result is followed as above. On a subsequent one the Alpha Legion failed to infiltrate the ranks and withdraw to fight again, opponent instantly wins. On a roll of a six, roll again. New result is followed as above. On a subsequent six the Alpha Legion had succeed and the entire enemy force is taken over minus any hq units. Commence game with adjusted points values.

Obviously the second one could only be used with non-dick players and would be just for fun.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Guys, stop.

You're making my pants tight.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    May 2nd guys. Then college is done and it will be time for 40k again. Finally.

I'll be finished with my first semester of grad school just a few days before that. I am going to warhammer and dwarf fort so hard for the whole three months after that.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    I would gladly pay 3x the price for models if it meant I could walk into a store pretty much anywhere and have a fun game without knowing my opponent

This happens for maybe the first month or so of going to a store here in Australia. Then you pretty much know everyone who goes there. Then you either just play people again, or try a different store.

Although some of the event nights have more folks to play.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Night Lords - gain +1Ld and Stealth whenever Night Fight is on the board. Options like Necrons to force night fight. Alternately, just screws over Necron night-fight builds.

Personally, I hope they bring back All Is Dust and two wounds for Thousand Sons. That would be lovely.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's so much fun they can have with this Chaos Codex...I really hope we see all this fun stuff we're hoping for. Not only for Chaos, but also because it opens up a lot of count-as fun stuff.

Anon the Felon on
    Apparently there's a plastic 'chaos drop pod' kit, though they're unsure if it's a spikey drop pod or a Dreadclaw assault boat.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    McGibs wrote: »
    So I've been reading a lot of HP Lovecraft lately, and I'm grooving on the idea of making a Cthulhu cult army. Something fish/underwater themed, with some cultists, some mutant fishmen, some full blown deep ones (river trolls look perfect), and a star spawn or two.
    What codecies would be fitting for such an army? I'm interested to see what the new SM codex entails (hopefully it can take cultists).

I dunno about rules but have you seen these guys?
    Blight_Termies_01.JPG
    Blight_Raptors_03.JPG
    Blight_Possessed_05.JPG

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »
    I would gladly pay 3x the price for models if it meant I could walk into a store pretty much anywhere and have a fun game without knowing my opponent

This happens for maybe the first month or so of going to a store here in Australia. Then you pretty much know everyone who goes there. Then you either just play people again, or try a different store.

Although some of the event nights have more folks to play.

Thats perfect too. Still meeting more people and actually wanting to play them.

Right now, I play Altmann.... that's pretty much it :P When my club was going strong there were 3 or 4 guys that I really, truly enjoyed playing. In this area, the odds of me walking into a store for the first time and playing a silly goose is so high, that I just don't do it anymore.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Since I've stopped cheating our quality of games has risen immensely.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Shit, looks like I missed the Chaos rumors discussion.

Oh well, I still can't wait to see what Emperor's Children get!!!!!!!!!!!!¿

altmann wrote: »
    Since I've stopped cheating our quality of games has risen immensely.

That game with the Arjac shenanigans so would have swung my way without that bullshit :P

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    The only thing I want in a Chaos Dex is playable thousand sons. I want nothing more than an army of ornate gold and blue rubric marines marching mindlessly to meet the enemy. Tsons Dreads and Termies are so awesome.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • mynamewasgonemynamewasgone Registered User regular
    Does anyone happen to have the old How to paint Tyranids guide that used to be on GW.com? It got disappeared a few months ago, I guess in preparation for the paints all being changed.

I fleshed out the fluff concept for my Necron campaign army. SOO GOOD

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Back when I wanted to play Chaos, I wanted to play TSons. That was right before I got out of 40k. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Chaos dex to see if it will reignite my interest.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    altmann wrote: »
    The only thing I want in a Chaos Dex is playable thousand sons. I want nothing more than an army of ornate gold and blue rubric marines marching mindlessly to meet the enemy. Tsons Dreads and Termies are so awesome.

No, you can't play them you filthy Space Wolf goose. I am the Thousand Sons.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I enjoy TSons as much as the next guy, but damn they's expensive.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I enjoy TSons as much as the next guy, but damn they's expensive.

Where all the plastic Sons at?
    Seems like they should at least make one plastic kit for each legions basic troops.

Wait...they're probably going to release brand new molds of every legion in finecast cuz it's so amazing! Thanks, GW!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Damn it, Custom, don't harsh my fantasizing buzz!

This discussion has been closed.