As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East 2012] People that were acting not-cool

solarnoisesolarnoise Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
So, I think we all have a million stories of "that person was so cool!", but I'd like to share some stories about the not-cool people, not in the hopes of starting flame wars, but to highlight the kind of behavior that just shouldn't happen and raise awareness about it.

1. So I went with my girlfriend. She's beautiful and sweet and tends to get a lot of "looks" and the occasional harassment...it happens, whatever. Well, we were in line for a panel, the very first one we went to which I believe was the one about gaming and growing up. She happened to have been wearing a sundress thing which I guess is technically a little revealing but not even close to the degree of some of the cosplayers running around.

In fact, an ENFORCER made an extremely loud and obvious snide remark about my girlfriend as we walked by... I'm thinking, "what about the people showing 80% of their skin for a cosplay? But it's not cool for my girlfriend to wear a light dress with a hoodie on?"

Anyway, there was a guy in front of us, decked out in gaming related stuff (complete with Zelda guages in his ears) and he was presumably with his girlfriend. This guy was CONSTANTLY turning around and blatantly just... staring at my girlfriend. I am right there and even giving him a "look" back if you know what I mean, and he KEPT doing it. Like... more than even the usual amount I think guys do that kind of thing. I got so uncomfortable because I'm thinking "great, I'm going to have to get defensive and tell him to knock it off and possibly cause a scene..." when the line finally moved and it became a non-issue.

We run into this guy AGAIN at another panel... and he continues with the staring and the sly looks. I just wanted to focus on me and her having a good time at the panel but this damn guy was being a total creep. Once again the line moved before it escalated but it really put me in a bad mood.

Takeaway: guys, I know you're surrounded by chicks that are into the same hobbies you are, and may look fantastic, that does NOT grant you license to ogle them so creepily. Obviously it's hard not to look, but at least do it discretely and move on.

2. We're at the concert Saturday night. VGO is on and of course people are going crazy, loving every minute, as they should!

Well, a guy next to us was loving it a little TOO much... jumping around, bumping into me and my girlfriend several times, and at one point waiving his arms like he's in a mosh pit... I literally felt the air from his fist graze my face. He also kept like, yelling the lyrics at us? And the people around him? And then seemed to get mad when we didn't meet his level of energy.

Takeaway: It is completely normal and cool to get stoked over the music and concerts. But you are packed in there with thousands of people who may want to just enjoy it in relative peace. Please respect other people's space and try to stay within a reasonable personal bubble. Also, for safety's sake, don't wildly swing your fists around.

solarnoise on

• Options
    StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    I feel you, people kept staring at my girlfriends chest and stuff. It wasnt like a hey look at her boobs type look, it was like a hey lets see if her boobs fall out of her shirt while shes standing there waiting in line type look. LOL Didnt bother me though.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i don't know if this kind of thread is even allowed, but this year i saw record numbers of people cutting in lines. it could be just more people, but man i never had that happen in previous years. i love going to PAX and the atmosphere is great but when i wait for hours in line just to get cut by some jerk who just showed up... it's a little lame.
    that and the competitive nature of some swag giveaways. you have people tearing items thrown to the crowd out of each others hands. if two people grab the same shirt there is some serious tension for a second. they should not force people to stand in a massive group and encourage people to fight over crappy necklaces.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think a thread about people acting like silly geese is likely unwise. People who are jerks likely don't care that you think they're a jerk. There's a suggestions thread in the stickies if you want to come up with some "hey maybe you didn't know this is a dick move, but please don't do things like: XYZ".

• Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i was goofing with a guy who was with his friends and we were shouting out stupid modeling cliches because another guy was doing it while trying to take photos, i mean he was there for like 4 minutes trying to get every single pose, so me and him were saying things like like work it and he was laughing like hell then out of no were flipped out at me, later on i saw him apologized and was quickly yelled at .. idk some one over protective with girl friends or who ever they were. it sorta ruined my day because i felt really bad i might have offended some one so the only thing i think is he miss heard me or just something wrong with him or hell i may been outa bounds but live and learn

for the most part only issues i had were some of the rent a cops over stepping there bounds saying if i dont see the right pass the first time your kicked out , some enforcers not knowing where anything was and just overly pushy crowds and so overly pushy venders but for the most part i want to say the seasoned pax goers and enforcers were awesome

i also didn't like enforcers trying to cram people in into booths at times to the point that they moved the display

sillyzombie666 on
    I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think a thread about people acting like silly geese is likely unwise. People who are jerks likely don't care that you think they're a jerk. There's a suggestions thread in the stickies if you want to come up with some "hey maybe you didn't know this is a dick move, but please don't do things like: XYZ".

Yeah I get that but frankly, that isn't going to be as visible or as effective. The forum is about PAX and we should be able to share our experiences, good and bad. This thread has, so far, not escalated to anything offensive or vulgar.

• Options
    i don't know if this kind of thread is even allowed, but this year i saw record numbers of people cutting in lines. it could be just more people, but man i never had that happen in previous years. i love going to PAX and the atmosphere is great but when i wait for hours in line just to get cut by some jerk who just showed up... it's a little lame.
    that and the competitive nature of some swag giveaways. you have people tearing items thrown to the crowd out of each others hands. if two people grab the same shirt there is some serious tension for a second. they should not force people to stand in a massive group and encourage people to fight over crappy necklaces.

This happened to us, too!!!

It was for the Saturday night concerts line... if any of you were in that monstrosity, you know how long it was. Well, there was a very funny and enthusiastic enforcer telling everyone to scrunch in and fill empty space, to make the line more compact.

Well there was one point in the line where there was a gap between the line and the windows... we were separated from the windows by a few benches... some people were walking up that gap to cut a few dozen people in line, and then rejoining the line... and were saying like "well... he DID tell us to fill in the gaps..."

My girlfriend and I must have burning holes into their backs with our eyes and almost said something, but the line was moving quick enough that we felt it unnecessary.

• Options
    ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Another line skipping story.

Girlfriend and I were in line for AC3, chatting with some people behind us. We turn around and this group of 4-5 teens is suddenly between us and the guy we were just behind. They're just standing around talking and I'm like "hey guys, I don't know where you came from but you need to get to the back of the line." They talked over me when I was talking to them, so I know they acknowledged me talking to them but they decided to be assholes about it. They were wearing "You suck at Halo" shirts so yeah, that crowd.

Anyway, an enforcer walked by and asked us all to step closer to the wall a few seconds later and I was like "I don't know where these guys came from but they weren't here 2 minutes ago and they need to gtfo." The enforcer pulled them out of line, they said I was lying but apparently they're very bad actors because the enforcer basically told them that he knows they're full of shit and they need to get to the back of the line or gtfo. It also helped that the people both behind me and in front of them (who we were originally behind) backed me up when I called them out on it the second time.

Fucking kids.

Shios on
  • Options
    WizardWizard Registered User regular
    A friend of mine got harassed pretty badly while working in the expo hall. She's short, but people kept patting her on the head or grabbing/hugging her, and while she told them to stop, they would, but someone else would come in and do the same damn thing. (And when you're trying to sell products, you've got to keep on a smile. But this just ate away at her.)

It got so bad that she's sworn she's never coming back to PAX. Not to work it, not to attend it, never again. (She was absolutely miserable on Sunday after putting up with it for the entire expo. I really don't blame her.)

I suppose the takeaway of that is "Look, personal space is important. It's cool that you're excited and that people are selling cool stuff, but don't go around touching people without their permission!"

I mean, "Don't harass people" is rule 5 on the badges. I've never had problems at PAX about this sort of thing, but I don't think anyone should. And I think this qualifies as a "not-cool" thing that should be brought up. I don't think anything can be done about it, but I think it's better to get it out there that some people seemed to miss the idea of PAX being a safe, cool place.

• Options
    Thanks for the great replies, guys... I think this thread, if anything, should just be one good place where we can discuss, as Wizard pointed out, the 5th rule of PAX.

I think the mistake people may be making about an expo like this is that they are surrounded by like minded people, and such a thing rarely, if ever, occurs in the "normal world" so they maybe think they can bend the rules or assume that people are going to be more receptive to weird behavior.

I think that what PAX attendees should learn is that while yes, everyone else there is into gaming in some form or another, and 99% of them are ready and willing to act silly or talk to strangers or whatever, there are a good portion of people that are just there to see interesting things and go to events, not to act any differently than they normally would.

..I can only imagine what Anime Boston was like.

• Options
    JerobJerob Registered User regular
    As the group pack mule I was wearing a somewhat bulky backpack. This understandably made it a little difficult to move about the expo hall and I made sure to to do my best to apologize when I bumped or blocked someone. Most people were pretty cool about it. One lovely person however felt perfectly reasonable in shouting move and shoulder checking my bag so hard I spun around. That was pretty...strange.

Other than that there was the odd run in with a person who decided the D&D line was the right place to inform us of their repugnant personal political views. Pretty strange overall.

AC: WW 2363-0580-7649 Jerob in Wausau
  • Options
    maryboo247maryboo247 Registered User regular
    My group of 4 guys and 2 girls kept having problems with "poachers" (aka overconfident douchebags who are so convinced of their awesomeness that they go into established groups to try their manly wiles on the girls of the group while completely ignoring the guys). 100% not cool.

I was with my man when a guy came up to us, only said hi and acknowledged me then proceeded to try to flirt with me.....WHILE I'M SITTING ON MY HUSBAND'S LAP. He seriously would not take a hint so I had to pull out the "It was nice to meet you but I really have to go to the bathroom....Honey I'll be right back :smooches husband:" move before the guys got aggressive.

I mean, seriously? I don't know if these guys are oblivious or just don't care.

• Options
    JerobJerob Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone else on the forums was on the shuttle back to the hotels friday night after the concert and was privy to the two couples who decided the whole shuttle should get to enjoy their obnoxiously loud arguments. Longest bus ride of my life.

AC: WW 2363-0580-7649 Jerob in Wausau
  • Options
    KingPadsKingPads Registered User regular
    Speaking of not acting cool, I wanted to apologize to a lot of people, I was quite the sourpuss all day on Friday. I hadn't slept much all week, I was wearing my big heavy templar armor, and I hadn't eaten anything all day, so I must have seemed rather annoyed at everyone trying to take pictures, but I really did appreciate it, and everyone was very friendly. Also, to touch on the OPs post, I had two girls with me that were both scantily clad, and spent a good majority of the day 'defending' them, there are a lot of people who want more than just pictures... But, even after all that, still managed to enjoy myself, and Saturday was awesome for me, so I consider it a big win!

• Options
    maryboo247 wrote: »
    My group of 4 guys and 2 girls kept having problems with "poachers" (aka overconfident douchebags who are so convinced of their awesomeness that they go into established groups to try their manly wiles on the girls of the group while completely ignoring the guys). 100% not cool.

I was with my man when a guy came up to us, only said hi and acknowledged me then proceeded to try to flirt with me.....WHILE I'M SITTING ON MY HUSBAND'S LAP. He seriously would not take a hint so I had to pull out the "It was nice to meet you but I really have to go to the bathroom....Honey I'll be right back :smooches husband:" move before the guys got aggressive.

I mean, seriously? I don't know if these guys are oblivious or just don't care.

my rule is if im talking to any women at a con and shes with a guy assume they are together and if shes alone just chat and if its going good just wait for her to say O YEAH MY HUSBAND LOVES THAT TOO lol

the one thing alot of people need to under stand game / anime cons tends to has alot of people with asperger (raises hand) and alot of people who have it aren't trying to be assholes they just cant help it they socially dont know whats bad to say or do, he'll im guilty of it myself even though i've worked on it. also they could just be dicks

• Options
    girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    There was a lot of line cutting and stupid things happening but there were also some new people there this year who aren't familiar with some of PAX's unwritten rules. Not to excuse them by any means because I definitely saw things that alarmed/ disappointed me. At the same time, though, I don't really think something like this is really going to accomplish much.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • Options
    Jerob wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone else on the forums was on the shuttle back to the hotels friday night after the concert and was privy to the two couples who decided the whole shuttle should get to enjoy their obnoxiously loud arguments. Longest bus ride of my life.

2 nights in a row i had very drunk people on the comuts rail, the second night i kept getting jabbed in the shoulder followed by HEY HEY CAN I ASK YOU A QUESTION the third ride home was really nice ....until some one had a seizure

• Options
    There was a lot of line cutting and stupid things happening but there were also some new people there this year who aren't familiar with some of PAX's unwritten rules. Not to excuse them by any means because I definitely saw things that alarmed/ disappointed me. At the same time, though, I don't really think something like this is really going to accomplish much.

I don't need it to accomplish anything, other than bring some awareness to this stuff... it's just a discussion I want to have, and maybe know that the community I'm a part of doesn't approve of this stuff. Talking about cosplays doesn't accomplish much either, it's just another discussion, which is what a forum is for =)

• Options
    ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I don't think this thread was meant to accomplish much. It's more along the lines of storytime. I don't see the harm in people sharing experiences.

Shios on
  • Options
    oneeyedwilly25oneeyedwilly25 Registered User new member
    There was this kind of cute redhead in the handheld gaming lounge playing a psp who had 4 beanbags all to herself, as in she stacked 2 on top of each other, and then did it again to sprawled out on it. She was pretty much there all 3 days and hogged 4 bean bags all to herself, even when people next to her were sitting on the floor as there were clearly not enough bags for everyone as is. I asked if i could take one and she said she was saving it "for her boyfriend"

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    What was up with the line cutting this year? I was in the ridiculously huge PA store booth line on Friday, and these two dudes were standing next to me for like 5 minutes, blatantly trying to cut in front of me. Then I guess when they saw that I or the people behind me weren't having it, they started working their way around the line trying to find another place to cut in.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    Dr ValkyrieDr Valkyrie Registered User regular
    There was quite a bit of line cutting but at least I didn't get a stalker like I did last year so I say that this year was a HUGE improvement.

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    solarnoise wrote: »
    Thanks for the great replies, guys... I think this thread, if anything, should just be one good place where we can discuss, as Wizard pointed out, the 5th rule of PAX.

I think the mistake people may be making about an expo like this is that they are surrounded by like minded people, and such a thing rarely, if ever, occurs in the "normal world" so they maybe think they can bend the rules or assume that people are going to be more receptive to weird behavior.

I think that what PAX attendees should learn is that while yes, everyone else there is into gaming in some form or another, and 99% of them are ready and willing to act silly or talk to strangers or whatever, there are a good portion of people that are just there to see interesting things and go to events, not to act any differently than they normally would.

..I can only imagine what Anime Boston was like.

Anime conventions in general have an issue where some attendees think because they're in the "bubble" of the convention that all social decency no longer applies. Hugging and touching people without asking is a big one. I don't see that as much at PAX.

I remember reading about a convention once (it wasn't an anime or sci-fi con, I forget what it was for) where you could get a badge with a color stripe at the bottom. Green means okay to hug, yellow means you have to ask, red means no hugging. I thought that was a clever idea, but it works better for a small con than a ginormous one like PAX.

• Options
    TheJackoNerdTheJackoNerd The world's biggest nerd... EnglandRegistered User regular
    Nathan Barnatt/Keith Apicary.

This guy thought he'd let himself free in the Rooster Teeth panel, and decided to strip down to his underwear, and then dance on the panel chairs. I didn't attend PAX and only saw this on the Twitch.tv stream, but it was incredibly awkward. The panel looked completely shocked and offended, as did the audience, and in addition he had been blocking the view of the panel and being completely inconsiderate.

sig.gif

Going to PAX East 2013/14 is my biggest goal right now. I plan to achieve it...
  • Options
    VeggieH8RVeggieH8R Registered User regular
    I tend to split from my group and explore on my own at things like these. I try to make new connections by listening to other conversations on a line or some such but this year I don't think I've ever been more miserable at a PAX as I was Saturday. Solarnoise already said 99% of these people are here for the same purpose but I think it's more like 70-80% know what the con is really about. Maybe I got really unlucky but the sheer amount of assholery I was privy to was unbelievable. Some shit I overheard:

A group of muscleheaded "bro-gamers" say "there are too many nerds here, let's go" like there wouldn't be any at a GAMING CON.
    A group younger people mentioning how "these people have no life if they stay at the con all day" or more than a couple of hours.
    "The retro arcade is full of old nerds". Although that might have been more of a jest than an asshole comment. Didn't get the context.
    Far into the Aliens line a young man asked a group of guys behind me how long we were waiting in line. They said five minutes (the hell?), I gave the correct time of 3hrs. They gave me shit for "interrupting them".
    Some shitbird derided me for throwing a plastic bottle into a garbage can when I should have recycled it when the recycling bin was clearly overflowing on to the floor. This was late at night and i had really had enough.

There were many more occurrences like the above and while I'm glad others had a good experience I thought I could come here and dork out with like minded people but it ended up being the same shit different day, different city.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

This guy thought he'd let himself free in the Rooster Teeth panel, and decided to strip down to his underwear, and then dance on the panel chairs. I didn't attend PAX and only saw this on the Twitch.tv stream, but it was incredibly awkward. The panel looked completely shocked and offended, as did the audience, and in addition he had been blocking the view of the panel and being completely inconsiderate.

Which is still making me scratch my head as to why Nathan's fans are upset about him getting bounced. Really? He was being a douche. I like Keith, and I think he's funny but this isn't KAX as he's been calling it.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I thought this was really funny actually. I found one person who took the cake! I was at the plantronics booth and I guess they had CS:GO on display there as well. I saw this guy playing it, so I queued to play it behind him. I was there for a few minutes and eventually stepped next to him and asked if that was CS:GO he was playing and how much longer he'd be. This guy just looks over to his right towards me, stares for a second, and then proceeds to look back at the screen like I was never there. Didn't even say a word. I brushed it off with a laugh because for all he knows I was a scout. I wasn't but I could have been. It pays to be nice to everyone in my opinion, especially at PAX.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Which is still making me scratch my head as to why Nathan's fans are upset about him getting bounced. Really? He was being a douche. I like Keith, and I think he's funny but this isn't KAX as he's been calling it.
    I don't get it either. He acted like an idiot last year, they said he could come back only if he doesn't act like an idiot, he apparently signed off on that and then did that. Obviously next year, he'll buy a ticket and sneak in with a camera and try to do something again...he thinks he's hysterical but it just comes off as painfully attention-whoreish.

Last year when he kept calling an enforcer a rent a cop was proof the guy's a tool - you don't insult the people who help run the event for free. Nothing makes volunteering for hard work more rewarding than a balding loser "internet celebrity" mocking you.

• Options
    Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I remember reading about a convention once (it wasn't an anime or sci-fi con, I forget what it was for) where you could get a badge with a color stripe at the bottom. Green means okay to hug, yellow means you have to ask, red means no hugging. I thought that was a clever idea, but it works better for a small con than a ginormous one like PAX.

Believe it or not, it's Mensa events. You know, the high-IQ society. They also have a blue dot for badges which means that you're single and looking for a mate. what is this i don't even

Andrew Tatro on
  • Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Everyone was great to me! However... my boyfriend came with me and approached me on two different occasions saying that he was truly upset.

1) I got to be a Cookie Brigadier this year, and he was helping me by carrying one of my bags for me. We were jumping through the main queue line on Day 1(with permission from enforcers to do so for the cookie brigade) and gathering donations when an enforcer approached him and yelled at him in front of everyone (I was a few rows down so I did not see it happen or I'd have gone to help). My bf tried to explain to the enforcer that he had NOT just passed everyone in line, like a jerk, but that he was simply walking around the area to help me! Anyway- he was very upset about the situation not because he couldn't understand how an enforcer could misunderstand the situation, but because he was being publicly ridiculed and felt extremely unwelcome and attacked at his first PAX :(
    2) The second situation involved my BF and another friend who were sitting on the floor near manticore playing zombie dice. An enforcer approached them and yelled at them for being there and made them leave (apparently they were starting a new line or something and the two of them were going to be in the way). He wasn't upset at being asked to move, but he was indignant at how angrily and hostilely the enforcer told them to do so. A simple 'move please!' would have served more effective than the purposeless scolding they received.

These instances aside, though, we both had a great time and overall everyone was fantastic to be around!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Yeah line cutting was a huge problem. My friend and I were in line and this guy pushes his way in front of us. After we said something to him he gave a snarky comment and let 5 of his friends get in line with him. Needless to say we didn't want to cause a scene so we went somewhere else. And of course there was people who were just plain rude for no reason.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    I had a great time this weekend. It was great to be home! I ran into two people who were just rude on Sunday.
    1) It was around the 2pm hour in the Gearbox line. Being a member of the cookie brigade, I was doing my last run down the line before turning in my final haul to be counted. I'm sell my pitch down the line to blocks of people at a time. This late 30s woman looked at me and says "I gave enough money already, so get out of my face." If only she could read minds for my response to her.
    2) I stopped by the que area for Borderlands. Great place to pass out goodies since everyone had to wait to play the game. One of the Frag Dolls, shoved my bag then said "no one wants what you're selling" as she walked away.
    The 1% who disobey Wheaton's Law can't ruin the joy the 99% brought me.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hmmm.....

In all honestly, I've got nothing. Every single person I met at PAX was a welcoming, polite, upstanding, and generally awesome people. The people at PAX are the people at PAX are those that make me proud to be a gamer.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    Seriously, what's with the big dudes who need to grab everything (and seconds, thirds and more)? My 11-yo had a t-shirt yanked out of his hands by a 6'-4" guy who had already caught at least 3 free t-shirts and slung them over his shoulder but clearly needed more. My son couldn't reach anything that was being tossed, so he was employing the strategy of going after the ones which hit the floor. A very nice enforcer who saw this (bless you!) caught a shirt and handed it to my son, who was thrilled. I'm not suggesting preferential treatment for shorter folks, but mixing in a few instant raffles would occasionally give everyone an equal crack at swag.

• Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I had a great time this weekend. It was great to be home! I ran into two people who were just rude on Sunday.
    1) It was around the 2pm hour in the Gearbox line. Being a member of the cookie brigade, I was doing my last run down the line before turning in my final haul to be counted. I'm sell my pitch down the line to blocks of people at a time. This late 30s woman looked at me and says "I gave enough money already, so get out of my face." If only she could read minds for my response to her.
    2) I stopped by the que area for Borderlands. Great place to pass out goodies since everyone had to wait to play the game. One of the Frag Dolls, shoved my bag then said "no one wants what you're selling" as she walked away.
    The 1% who disobey Wheaton's Law can't ruin the joy the 99% brought me.

UNbelievable. Someone needs to cosplay as Politeness Man and teach a few lessons with his Radioactive Hankie.

rascal on
  • Options
    JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    MASeffect wrote: »
    Everyone was great to me! However... my boyfriend came with me and approached me on two different occasions saying that he was truly upset.

1) I got to be a Cookie Brigadier this year, and he was helping me by carrying one of my bags for me. We were jumping through the main queue line on Day 1(with permission from enforcers to do so for the cookie brigade) and gathering donations when an enforcer approached him and yelled at him in front of everyone (I was a few rows down so I did not see it happen or I'd have gone to help). My bf tried to explain to the enforcer that he had NOT just passed everyone in line, like a jerk, but that he was simply walking around the area to help me! Anyway- he was very upset about the situation not because he couldn't understand how an enforcer could misunderstand the situation, but because he was being publicly ridiculed and felt extremely unwelcome and attacked at his first PAX :(
    2) The second situation involved my BF and another friend who were sitting on the floor near manticore playing zombie dice. An enforcer approached them and yelled at them for being there and made them leave (apparently they were starting a new line or something and the two of them were going to be in the way). He wasn't upset at being asked to move, but he was indignant at how angrily and hostilely the enforcer told them to do so. A simple 'move please!' would have served more effective than the purposeless scolding they received.

These instances aside, though, we both had a great time and overall everyone was fantastic to be around!

I agree with the second one. While the enforcers were mainly nice to me (maybe because I was a speaker) I was a little shocked how pushy they were when creating lines. Like GameTrailers TV tips them money or something to make sure they have good lines? If that is the case, Nintendo and us have never heard of that.

Second I would like to apologize in advance for two things. This was my first time every speaking at PAX and the first time I was handing out swag. So I am sorry if people were pushy when trying to get the stuff we were handing out. We did not see it coming and will have measures put in next time if we hand something out.

Also, sorry if I spoke very loud on Saturday and Sunday, the Tanooki Suit helmet cut5s off half my hearing so I could not hear myself talking half the time.

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    rascal wrote: »
    Seriously, what's with the big dudes who need to grab everything (and seconds, thirds and more)? My 11-yo had a t-shirt yanked out of his hands by a 6'-4" guy who had already caught at least 3 free t-shirts and slung them over his shoulder but clearly needed more. My son couldn't reach anything that was being tossed, so he was employing the strategy of going after the ones which hit the floor. A very nice enforcer who saw this (bless you!) caught a shirt and handed it to my son, who was thrilled. I'm not suggesting preferential treatment for shorter folks, but mixing in a few instant raffles would occasionally give everyone an equal crack at swag.
    I would like for PAX to avoid the tossing things into a crowd as a whole. I'm average height and I get very uncomfortable in those situations - they feel too crazy and unsafe to me, I get really nervous. Next year it will be just me and my son and I won't even bother trying because it would be too stressful.

• Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    My sister accidentally cut in the Dance Central line on Sat. The day before we had waited in what we thought was the DC line for like 30 minutes before realizing it was just a bunch of people watching and everyone was just walking up on stage from the front. On Sat, she assumed it was the same thing and just went up, which made at least one girl understandably upset. So sorry, we didn't know that was actually a line and not just a bunch of spectators.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    I only had one really bad nagging gripe. Its largely the exhibitors' faults, but with some common decency, this wouldn't be much of an issue.

Last year it was cones. This year it was those stupid top hats.

Protip: If you're in a situation where you're seated, such as in a crowded panel, people will think much more highly of your character if you take your stupid paper hat off for the duration of the event, thereby not blocking the view of every single person behind you.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    We don't need a thread for public shaming, yo. If you have general complaints, fine. A thread for shaming of individuals is not welcome though.

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.