As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD+GW 4E Discussion] Distinctly lacks anything to Jenga

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to all of the Rise of the Underdark stuff that has been announced this past week. I'm hoping it is executed better than the Neverwinter "event" was.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Alright, first session of Gamma World played. We're running the adventure from the base book, and our party is as follows:

* Speedster Yeti - Actually, a mutant polar bear that is addicted to speed. She wears a rosary made up of ancient coca-cola bottle caps, as she is apparently the last in a line of an ancient race of caffeine worshippers.
    * Yeti Android - Robo from Chrono Trigger, right down to the rocket punch.
    * Doppleganger Speedster - A woman who moves so fast, she can be in two places at once. She wields a stick capped with metal tipped sporks.
    * Seismic Doppleganger - A collective of rocks with mouths that can self replicate.

Not entirely sure when we'll be back to D&D, honestly...

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Alright, first session of Gamma World played. We're running the adventure from the base book, and our party is as follows:

* Speedster Yeti - Actually, a mutant polar bear that is addicted to speed. She wears a rosary made up of ancient coca-cola bottle caps, as she is apparently the last in a line of an ancient race of caffeine worshippers.
    * Yeti Android - Robo from Chrono Trigger, right down to the rocket punch.
    * Doppleganger Speedster - A woman who moves so fast, she can be in two places at once. She wields a stick capped with metal tipped sporks.
    * Seismic Doppleganger - A collective of rocks with mouths that can self replicate.

Not entirely sure when we'll be back to D&D, honestly...

My real life gaming group's disinterest in Gamma World is rapidly becoming an issue in my continued association with them.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's been pretty awesome so far. They have been dispatched from their settlement of The Fort to the village of Arl (merely a stopping point for traders on the way to Dallah, in the east) to investigate what's going on with exploding robots trundling in from the north.

The robot almost got melted by the first radiation pit, and the polar bear was almost killed by the yexil. Second Wind as a minor action is insanely useful.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    My group decided that we're going to play another season of Encounters next month instead of trying out Gamma World, because : "It looks just like a goofy version of Dark Sun."

:(

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hensler wrote: »
    My group decided that we're going to play another season of Encounters next month instead of trying out Gamma World, because : "It looks just like a goofy version of Dark Sun."

:(

Well it kind of is. But that's what's so fun about it.

When I played, I got Pyrokinetic Speedster. Randomly. My weapons were a staff and throwing bolts made of lengths of rebar.

We raided a mall that was being guarded by some kind of angel-themed mecha.

Incenjucar on
    I'm just sad that my group thinks a goofy version of Dark Sun is a bad thing.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hell, it's barely Dark Sun

it's a goofier Fallout

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Random questions:

* Should water harm fire elementals (or at least impose status effects on them)?
    * Are creatures that are vulnerable to natural sunlight not harmed by light in the Elemental Chaos?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The thing about Gamma World is that while it's post-apocalyptic, the apocalypse was so bizarre that you can run any sort of game with it, as long as you don't take it too seriously. I ran the Gamma World encounters for a group where everyone but one guy died - three times! He kept running away and getting more suckers kind adventurers to help with this apparently suicidal mission. I took the module home and wrote up a new adventure where the pig guy got the portal working and hopped into another dimension, and they followed him into a world where giant ants terrorized people made out of sugar. Turns out they were in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Random questions:

* Should water harm fire elementals (or at least impose status effects on them)?
    * Are creatures that are vulnerable to natural sunlight not harmed by light in the Elemental Chaos?

As written, fire elementals are as solid as you or I. You can certainly invent new kinds of fire elementals.

The elemental chaos isn't depicted as having a bunch of suns lying about.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Random questions:

Water doesn't even seem to exist in 4e, other than maybe as "cold" damage, and for shit to drown you in while aquatic creatures pwn you.

In hindsight, it would be rather nice to have material keywords, but keywords are already kind of out of hand on occasion.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Orokos item cache dropped again, item links should correct themselves.

OrokosPA.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    On a completely unrelated note, Orokos uses a DDI account that is only used to keep sheets updating, and accepts donations. 8->

OrokosPA.png
  • WeedkillerWeedkiller Registered User regular
    I was wondering if people could comment on a couple of character concepts I have. The first is an illusionist mage who is a traveling showman/charlatan. The idea is that he puts on a decent show but is slightly incompetent and has gotten run out of a few towns for it. The question is, is it possible to run a mage who exclusively (or almost exclusively) knows illusion spells. I'm a little that not using other spell types might make him somewhat ineffective.

For the second character I'm wondering if it's possible to make an avenger with a lot. I seem to recall hearing of that type of avenger a long time ago, but I can only find a few powers that let you teleport. Although it may be a moot point, the paragon path that basically turns you into an angel with permanent flight is very tempting.

Also, either of these characters would be starting at 9th level.

Illusionist is definitely a strong concept. The gnome (Nim) in my sig is a level 6 wizard with a focus in illusion.

As for the Avenger, an eladrin comes with a teleport per encounter, but a pixie comes with a permanent fly speed, so your choice there.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    I'm pretty sure there is at least one illusion power for every available power choice for wizards, though you don't get many choices.

Oh, I know there are plenty of choices for illusion powers I'm just a little afraid of being stuck with being unable to be effective in some fights if I choose all illusions. I know looking through the enchantments half of them seem to be some variation on Get One Monster to Hit Other Monster which doesn't seem so useful in solo or all-minion fights.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's some that just do straight up damage and have nice riders.
    Phantasmal assailant makes them grant CA (save ends).
    There's an at-will that gives it -2 attack. There's an awesome daily at level 9 that makes a zone they can't leave until they save, and they can't see anything outside it. Great for a group with ranged.
    There's quite a lot of stuff that has more than just confusion type effects just browsing through the first 20 or so psychic powers the compendium brings up.

If your concern is getting screwed in a fight where illusion powers are useless, well, hopefully a DM that knows you're committed to a spec like that, especially for RP reasons, won't screw you too badly like that.

steam_sig.png
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys, I dunno if anyone here is aware of this but there's a pretty baller 'Roll d20' program that's got a kickstarter going on right now. It's a sweet-ass virtual table top and I'd love to see their kickstarter make it all the way http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rileydutton/roll20-virtual-tabletop-gaming-that-tells-a-story

Main website here: http://roll20.net/

SJ on
    That looks like a pretty good program (to an absolute know-nothing on the subject). I've no idea if the existing tools are comparable/better/worse, though. The apparent ease-of-use could make it attractive to me.

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    i like the idea of being able to run it through a browser

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    SJ wrote: »
    Hey guys, I dunno if anyone here is aware of this but there's a pretty baller 'Roll d20' program that's got a kickstarter going on right now. It's a sweet-ass virtual table top and I'd love to see their kickstarter make it all the way http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rileydutton/roll20-virtual-tabletop-gaming-that-tells-a-story

Main website here: http://roll20.net/

Looks good. I'd rather give these guys money for their virtual tabletop than Wizards' at this point.

edited April 2012
    Does anyone know how to add an enchanted superior implement in the modded offline character builder? I can find mundane superior implements, and enchanted implements, but can't combine the two.

Edit: Adoy, never mind. I found the two places superior implements are listed where you can't magic them, and missed the third where you can.

Weedkiller on
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    One of my putzing around projects has been writing Python interfaces to the Compendium, for my own use. I checked out the Character Builder protocol over the wire and discovered there isn't really any kind of element transmit in the protocol other than "here's the new character sheet after that change you just made", which isn't surprising but is pretty useless to an observer.

Which leads me to this question: what non-sucky character builders exist these days? Preferably something that hooks into the elements of the Compendium somehow.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    Haha, yeah, that was something someone here noticed when the online builder came out. When trying to figure why it was so slow to make changes, they found it was resending the whole sheet every time they hit the + button on an ability score.

steam_sig.png
    Does it still spool up a mutli-gig bmp when you go to print your character sheet?

Yup. Bout 500MB per page.

steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Weedkiller wrote: »
    Oh, I know there are plenty of choices for illusion powers I'm just a little afraid of being stuck with being unable to be effective in some fights if I choose all illusions. I know looking through the enchantments half of them seem to be some variation on Get One Monster to Hit Other Monster which doesn't seem so useful in solo or all-minion fights.

Or fights where monsters are immune to illusions. But who would ever do that?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like that Kobolds finally get a PC class write-up, but I'm bummed that they changed their racial power.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Oh, that's pretty cool. The shield arm on the kobold in the article looks so weird though :O

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We all knew if they did a write-up for Kobolds the power would get changed. They'd said before that it being totally OP was the only real reason they hadn't done one yet.

I did like the description of Kobold society and adventurers. Guess I can shelve the write-up I was tinkering with. Could still do a Kenku article, I suppose...

DarkPrimus on
    Do kobolds have a different racial in the monster book?

• MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Do kobolds have a different racial in the monster book?
    Shift 1 square as a minor action at will. Together with the bugbear's Oversized trait, that was probably the single most broken thing about the MM-style monster races.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Kobolds, Destroyer of Parties

• SentretSentret Registered User regular
    After reading that article, I want to run/play in a game wherein the pcs are kobold members of a tribe "serving" a very young dragon.

Mission: Find shiny tribute!
    Mission: Stop big-headed invader!
    etc.

Hmmmmmmmm.

I've always had a soft spot for monstrous PCs. Alecthar was going to start up a PbP of one a few years ago, but it never happened. Pity. I really liked Gub, my Gelatinous Cube barbarian.

One day, Gub. One day.

That.... is a very strange change.

• RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Sentret wrote: »
    After reading that article, I want to run/play in a game wherein the pcs are kobold members of a tribe "serving" a very young dragon.

Mission: Find shiny tribute!
    Mission: Stop big-headed invader!
    etc.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Since 2 of my normal group can't play this weekend, I'm going to try a one off adventure like this. Hopefully it will work out.