As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Concerts Discussion Thread

124»

• crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    Hey guys, i need some advice. I really want to see vgo and line up for concerts for saturday. Last year we (bf and i) lined up about an hour and 45 minutes before the event and were able to score seats in the back. I cant make it into the line until about 1 hour before and was wondering if waiting in line for around an hour would be sufficient enough to definitely get in to the saturday concerts?

its a secret to everyone
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, i need some advice. I really want to see vgo and line up for concerts for saturday. Last year we (bf and i) lined up about an hour and 45 minutes before the event and were able to score seats in the back. I cant make it into the line until about 1 hour before and was wondering if waiting in line for around an hour would be sufficient enough to definitely get in to the saturday concerts?

I heard they're going to be counting the lines out for things this year so you'll know right away whether you'll get in or not. I don't know if that also applies to the concerts or not.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

https://twitter.com/PAX_lines

If you have twitter, follow that feed. They post updates on the lines for all of the main theater events as well as many others. Especially for the concert lines, they'll update fairly often with how empty/full the line is.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    They counted out the lines last year too, you should know when you get in line if there's space.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular

I heard they're going to be counting the lines out for things this year so you'll know right away whether you'll get in or not. I don't know if that also applies to the concerts or not.
    We always count the lines when they get big, and we always count them for Main Theatre. We will typically count them as the line is forming, so you will be notified if you get in line near or after the theatre is full.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Be aware too for Saturday there will be an Omegathon round before VGO hits the stage, which can also increase the number of people who will be showing up. On the up side, since they will be doing Dance Central challenge it won't run nearly as long as the nail biting Mega Jenga of last year.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Update to OP, thanks Dya!!!

SmallLady wrote:
    Main Theatre Concerts FAQ

What is the schedule for bands performing?
    The Friday/Saturday night concerts are scheduled to begin at 8:30pm. The line-up is more-or-less set in stone, but the times they will begin are dependent on many factors. Rough estimates are as follows:
    • Friday Night
    o 8:30pm – Supercommuter
    o 9:30pm – Minibosses
    o 10:30pm – Metroid Metal
    o 11:30pm – Protomen
    • Saturday Night
    o 8:30pm – Video Game Orchestra (VGO)
    o 9:30pm – Paul & Storm
    o 10:30pm – Jonathan Coulton
    o 11:30pm – MC Frontalot

When should I show up to see performance X?
    The Main Theatre has a very high capacity during concerts, as well as a higher turnover than during panels. More often than not, you can simply walk right in. However, to be safer, for any given band, you should attempt to show up around a half an hour to an hour before they are scheduled to start (earlier if you want to be toward the front).

What happens if the theatre fills up?
    We do take count of attendance, and new admission will be temporarily denied if the theatre is full. However, concerts tend to have high turnover, and new people will be allowed in on a roughly 25-out, 25-in schedule.

Are there medical badge accommodations for concerts?
    Absolutely! Just like with any other panel, if you show up by around 15 minutes before the doors open, anyone with a medical badge will be allowed in early to find a seat. There will be seating in the back of the theatre, though it is very limited relative to the panel setup.

What is the policy on moshing?
    Please don’t do it. PAX concerts are intended to be a fun, enjoyable experience for everyone. Moshing is not fun for everyone, and puts people at risk. If any violent or aggressive behavior is witnessed in the crowd, you will be asked to stop by an Enforcer. Repeated action will result in a minimum of removal of concerts. This applies to all concerts, even the hardcore bands like Metroid Metal. We simply ask that you control yourself and allow EVERYONE around you to have a good time!

Is food allowed in the concerts?
    While food is not expressly prohibited, we ask that you use good sense and do not bring it into the crowded parts of the concert. Drinks (soda, water, etc.) are allowed, and are ok in the crowd, but please, if you bring food or drinks, do not leave them on the ground, especially in crowded areas. This often results in people tripping or slipping on them and potentially getting injured.

What if I see something potentially hazardous or have other questions/concerns?
    This is the same at concerts as with anywhere else in PAX: talk to an Enforcer! Enforcers are friendly, and they are there to help and to do their best to make sure you have a great PAX experience.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Don't forget that there will be chiptune concerts in the Jamspace fri/sat morning, and video game cover band concerts fri/sat late afternoon

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    Not related to the main theater concerts, but since he is doing a panel is there any conformation to the rumor of megaran doing a set in Jamspace?

RevGutter wrote: »
    Not related to the main theater concerts, but since he is doing a panel is there any conformation to the rumor of megaran doing a set in Jamspace?

Yup, he'll be playing in the jamspace! The pax website schedule should be updated soon to reflect that.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is it pretty much a given that the Sat night concert acts will be around Sunday in Band Land? We're only heading in for the last day (no concerts for me...) but the kid will really want to meet Jonathan Coulton.

• ScrumpScrump Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    This might be a dumb question, do you need a friday pass to see the concerts played after exhibit hours on friday?

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Scrump wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question, do you need a friday pass to see the concerts played after exhibit hours on friday?
    Yes. The big concerts are in the main theater, which is in the BCEC, which you need a PAX pass for that day to get into.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Is it pretty much a given that the Sat night concert acts will be around Sunday in Band Land? We're only heading in for the last day (no concerts for me...) but the kid will really want to meet Jonathan Coulton.

Yeah they should all be around most of the day Sunday, so no worries there. From what I've noticed nobody tends to leave until the last couple hours of the show.

NSw0gum.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    How long are the sets for the last band of the night usually?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I have to assume those time estimates are very conservative, if the concerts are really projected to last until 1:30 or 2 AM. Presumably the first three bands aren't going to play for 45 minutes each, and leave the last band with 2+ hours to fill.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    I have to assume those time estimates are very conservative, if the concerts are really projected to last until 1:30 or 2 AM. Presumably the first three bands aren't going to play for 45 minutes each, and leave the last band with 2+ hours to fill.

Actually.. that's normal. Sometimes they run a little long.. but the headliner normally plays much longer than others. Frontalot in particular is notorious for playing until the venue throws him out, no matter how long it takes. (It was really funny at the first PAX east- they were shutting off his microphone and cutting the lights and everything, and he just kept going)

Realistically the headliner goes on a half hour to 45 minutes later than projected, due to someone running a little late, etc... but if they manage to get on stage on time.. they go balls-out the whole time anyway :)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    How long are the sets for the last band of the night usually?
    45 minutes is the schedule for each band.

a.k.a. dya
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    Don't forget that there will be chiptune concerts in the Jamspace fri/sat morning, and video game cover band concerts fri/sat late afternoon
    Where are the details/schedule for this?

creid8 wrote: »
    Where are the details/schedule for this?

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/category/jam

Chiptunes run 11am-2pm fri/sat, and Concerts run 4pm-7pm fri/sat. Schedules and performer order are subject to change, so check the white board in front of the jamspace when you arrive.

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apparently Nathan Barnett is doing a gig at the jamspace during the Friday afternoon slot. Confirmation off jamspace?

Edit: yeah it's up on the schedule

Source

PurpleBek on
    pax%20sig.png
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    Apparently Nathan Barnett is doing a gig at the jamspace during the Friday afternoon slot. Confirmation off jamspace?

Edit: yeah it's up on the schedule

Source

Yes, this is confirmed. Look for him during the friday jamspace concert block.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    The protomen have just confirmed that they will be playing all of Act II at their concert.

PW0oFIs.png
  • repeterepete Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    is the 8:30 time the start of the concerts or is it when they start letting people in?

repete on
    repete wrote: »
    is the 8:30 time the start of the concerts or is it when they start letting people in?
    See the OP, those times are current estimates of start times.

a.k.a. dya
  • aeonfluxaeonflux Registered User new member
    sorry to be slightly off topic, but in case anyone is interested - the Freezepop show has a contest to win free tix! networkedblogs.com/vY07d?a=share

also if anyone is PAX->Freezepop hopping, I'd guess they wouldn't go on earlier than 10:30 - show at 9, 2 openers... - so we could hop in a cab at 10 and be there with time to spare. I'm gonna try to see some PAX artists AND Freezepop play. woo!

NEW-gHall-brighton-4-7-320x503.jpg

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »

Actually.. that's normal. Sometimes they run a little long.. but the headliner normally plays much longer than others. Frontalot in particular is notorious for playing until the venue throws him out, no matter how long it takes. (It was really funny at the first PAX east- they were shutting off his microphone and cutting the lights and everything, and he just kept going)

Realistically the headliner goes on a half hour to 45 minutes later than projected, due to someone running a little late, etc... but if they manage to get on stage on time.. they go balls-out the whole time anyway :)

Ok now I know I have to leave the Curse party early to see Frontalot. That just sounds too awesome.

• Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    Protomen blew my mind last year. I had heard of them in passing, but had *no idea* what they were about. I was unprepared for this whole postapoc Magaman rock opera sort of production.. I hope to see them but may not be able to, since I'm sharing rides and stuff. Definitely staying out late to see Frontalot on Saturday.

Speaking of Front (and JoCo and others), I can't seem to find anything anywhere on if or when (or where) people will be selling their individual merch, taking photos, shooting the shit, etc. Last year, I just happened to walk by when Front was sitting at a table (I believe next to Kris & Scott), but I don't want to count on luck again this year. I see the Merch Booth on the map, and the section on merch in the sticky FAQ, but nothing about individual merch..

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Brew78 wrote: »
    Protomen blew my mind last year. I had heard of them in passing, but had *no idea* what they were about. I was unprepared for this whole postapoc Magaman rock opera sort of production.. I hope to see them but may not be able to, since I'm sharing rides and stuff. Definitely staying out late to see Frontalot on Saturday.

Speaking of Front (and JoCo and others), I can't seem to find anything anywhere on if or when (or where) people will be selling their individual merch, taking photos, shooting the shit, etc. Last year, I just happened to walk by when Front was sitting at a table (I believe next to Kris & Scott), but I don't want to count on luck again this year. I see the Merch Booth on the map, and the section on merch in the sticky FAQ, but nothing about individual merch..

Check out their spot in Bandland for their personal signing / merch schedule on friday morning.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dates in late May were just added to the Protomen's tour. Check your email if you're on their mailing list for details as their website hasn't been updated yet. My West Chester, PA ticket has been bought.

Oh, and they're touring with Powerglove, Danimal Cannon, and Creature Feature. I've never spent $20 so quickly in my life.

dalaamprince on
  • djcutmandjcutman Registered User new member
    Hey guys, I'm playing a set in JAMSpace at 11:00PM on Saturday. It's not listed on the schedule, so i guess that makes it a....secret? here's what my music sounds like.

Lewie's Stepdad kicked me in the heart for my last post, I hope that doesn't happen again.

SmallLady wrote: »
    Brew78 wrote: »

Check out their spot in Bandland for their personal signing / merch schedule on friday morning.

Ah, ok, tyvm. Looks like Bandland is right next to the Official merch booth in the north lobby, should be easy to find!

(Glad I downloaded the Guidebook app, the map's got more floors than the official Expo Hall PDF..)

• Eric510Eric510 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User new member
    So, this post is 4 pages, right? I browsed through a good portion of it and, I see a lot of people stoked for bands that I've seen at other PAXes and totally enjoyed. But, guys.... All of you should be REALLY flipping stoked about the Minibosses. They haven't been on the east cost in... What? Like 5 or 6 years? I SO cannot wait to hear these guys rock out.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    All the shows I wanna see are today, and Saturdays my only PAX day. Gosh durn it!

• ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    Hey everyone,

Im wondering if there's any sort of meet up going on before the concerts start. The friend I came to PAX with wants to demo the new version of D&D so I'm on my own for the concert. I'd love to meet up with some fine folks and maybe grab a few drinks before the show. Feel free to send me a PM or whatever! =)

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    If I leave the DLC panel at 8:30, grab food, and then proceed immediately to the concert line, what are my odds of making it in for the Protomen?

Eric510 wrote: »
    So, this post is 4 pages, right? I browsed through a good portion of it and, I see a lot of people stoked for bands that I've seen at other PAXes and totally enjoyed. But, guys.... All of you should be REALLY flipping stoked about the Minibosses. They haven't been on the east cost in... What? Like 5 or 6 years? I SO cannot wait to hear these guys rock out.

I laughed my ass off during Excitebike. And am glad the crowd finally started throwing out "Woo, ooo"s (instead of just me) during Duck Tales.
    Kinda wish they played some Mega Man, or CV2 instead of CV3, but overall f'ing awesome!

Had to cut out before MM or Protomen to catch the T but I'm driving today to avoid a similar fate today.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was honestly surprised by the Friday acts this year.

I'd never heard Supercommuter before, but now I wanna check out their stuff when I'm not hearing it through earplugs and in weird acoustics.

I was kind of a fan of Minibosses, but they played a lot of stuff I'd call... experimental? Was really hard to get into. Duck Tales was excellent, though, I "Woo-oo"'d. =3

Last year I hated Metroid Metal. They were after Protomen and I didn't bother hanging around to hear the rest of their set. This year, I actually *really* liked them. And now I'm in the mood to replay Prime - probably the best Metroid game ever.

And I lied about the Protomen - they didn't surprise me at all. They kicked ass EXACTLY as I expected them to.

That was such an awesome night!

• polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    Has anyone compiled setlists for Friday night yet? I like to put together "flashback" playlists of shows I've been to, for when I want to be taken back. Protomen set was straightforward enough, but I'm a little fuzzy on the order for the other bands that night.

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5