As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] East Is Over, and so is this thread.

1235»

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, damn, the Sheraton is completely booked (aside from the PAX reserved rooms).

Also, I might recommend that this year the crew update the site sometime after PAX to reflect that PAX is over and that badges will become available after East. I had a couple friends who didn't know better freak the hell out when they saw the "all sold out" from last year.

I think it's funny that they don't read the dates that say 2011 ;)

• ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    sarge1445 wrote: »
    question if you book through the pax site do you need to pay upfront or can you pay at the hotel itself. I would love to book a room at the Sheraton but wont be able to pay for it all till ljune

Fair warning...the Sheraton makes you pay RIGHT as you check in. I stayed there last year and was told on the phone that payment was at check-out....NOPE, they wanted the payment up front as I checked into the hotel. That led to a wonderful hunt for all my roommates so I could gather the money required.

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    I've never been to either PAX before, and when I decided I wanted to go it was too late for EAST badges. My friend and I are from the Toronto area and are seriously considering going to PRIME now. I'm thinking of flying from the Waterloo airport to Vancouver and want to meet up with other Canadians to carpool down. What are the chances of finding someone on here from Vancouver who will indulge us and hopefully even not murder us? Is there anyone else from Ontario with similar plans?

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @pikapuff I sent you a pm to tell you how much I paid. If you didn't get it then let me know. Don't want to post here about $ to keep the forum light :)

Also I paid up front because of how I booked the room, that is the key factor in if you pay front or at checkout.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    1. When will BYOC thread be up? Can anyone share their experience from attending BYOC?
    2. How soon should I consider booking a room somewhere? Last year I just stayed at parent's house in Kent and took light rail into PAX

• tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    MOSFET wrote: »
    1. When will BYOC thread be up? Can anyone share their experience from attending BYOC?
    2. How soon should I consider booking a room somewhere? Last year I just stayed at parent's house in Kent and took light rail into PAX
    I plan on booking the day it'll be available and I doubt I'm the only one. I'd get on it.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    If you don't book the day it's released, you won't get the room you want. simple as that. If you don't book the hour it's released, you won't get the days you want (if you want more than fri+sat, checkout on sun).

when I was a loner, byoc was great. I'd go there to chill out all the time. but last year i met up with a lot of friends and spent less than 5 min there the whole of pax. as such I won't be getting a byoc pass this year... maybe. but byoc is great. if alone or if all your friends are getting a byoc pass, go for it 100%. otherwise, it's your choice that can go either way.

jCyyTSo.png
  • sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    do you need to register for byoc if your bringing a laptop

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    you can carry around a laptop all you want.

you register to byoc for access to the byoc area and your own byoc space.

jCyyTSo.png
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Can someone who's stayed at the Homewood before tell me if there will be smoking rooms available in the PAX rooms? Yes, I know we can't smoke indoors around here, but after the last PAX, the hubby and I looked into other hotels (we had stayed at the Sheraton), and found that the Homewood has "smoking" rooms (they have balconies where smoking is allowed).

Trying to find out if we should try to reserve now, or if we can wait for the PAX rooms.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • guster11guster11 Registered User regular
    Are this years badges really sold out or is that registration from last year?

• OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    guster11 wrote: »
    That would be for last year. The 2012 tickets haven't gone on sale yet.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
    guster11 wrote: »

Check the dates listed.... ;-)

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    What's the twitter feed that we can follow to watch for Prime updates again?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited April 2012
    What's the twitter feed that we can follow to watch for Prime updates again?
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Usually things start up for the next pax about a month-ish after the most recent pax. This could vary though. Follow http://twitter.com/official_pax to know for sure.

zerzhul on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Thanks @zerzhul

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    question if you book through the pax site do you need to pay upfront or can you pay at the hotel itself. I would love to book a room at the Sheraton but wont be able to pay for it all till ljune

Fair warning...the Sheraton makes you pay RIGHT as you check in. I stayed there last year and was told on the phone that payment was at check-out....NOPE, they wanted the payment up front as I checked into the hotel. That led to a wonderful hunt for all my roommates so I could gather the money required.

Were you paying by cash or credit card? I was at the Sheraton last year too, and didn't pay until checkout. Might be because you were rooming with others?

Also, still looking for info on Homewood's smoking rooms so I know if I can wait for the PAX rooms or need to grab other.

melcene-wide.png
    Melcene wrote: »

Were you paying by cash or credit card? I was at the Sheraton last year too, and didn't pay until checkout. Might be because you were rooming with others?

Also, still looking for info on Homewood's smoking rooms so I know if I can wait for the PAX rooms or need to grab other.

Have you tried calling the Homewood to ask?

• tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    Hotels will go fast since it is labor day weekend, just wanted to throw it out there that you could also stay close to the Space Needle and Pacific Science Center and ride the monorail in and walk the rest of the way which is about 3 or 4 blocks. Already got my room booked at the Warwick, I've never stayed there anybody out there stayed there before that could give me what they thought about the Warwick. Also I believe I read somewhere that Pax registration will be mid to late April. Can't wait to see everyone there.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    I already booked our room at the Homewood, years past we were local so we only needed a hotel for Saturday night. Now we're flying up for it and wanted to make sure we have a room, it's going to be strange for me!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    I already booked our room at the Homewood, years past we were local so we only needed a hotel for Saturday night. Now we're flying up for it and wanted to make sure we have a room, it's going to be strange for me!

I've often wondered how many Paxites are actually local. Personally I think it'd lose some of it's charm if I didn't have to fly to get there (and be in a city I'm not used to.) Half the fun IMHO.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »

I've often wondered how many Paxites are actually local. Personally I think it'd lose some of it's charm if I didn't have to fly to get there (and be in a city I'm not used to.) Half the fun IMHO.

I don't know, there's something to be said for falling out of bed and making the 20 minute drive to get there. Pretty sure TSA isn't all up in your stuff to cross 520, yet. It's going to be different being car-free in Seattle, I haven't done that since I was 16.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    What twitter should I be keeping an eye on for info on hotels opening up? @Official_pax?

1tLJUH2O.png
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Have you tried calling the Homewood to ask?

I'll try calling tonight. I just figured the front desk people wouldn't have that info - but duh, of course I should call. Thanks.

Also, @tsrblke - even for us localites, it's like a mini-vacation to get away from work/home for a few days and stay at the hotel and do PAX all weekend. :)

melcene-wide.png
    gespo89 wrote: »
    What twitter should I be keeping an eye on for info on hotels opening up? @Official_pax?

Everything official comes via @official_pax, it is the only official account that tweets about hotels and badges. Things that hit the forums sometimes get tweeted by @paxcommunity, an unofficial account run by a few community members.

• AmberStarAmberStar SeattleRegistered User regular
    tinedizzle wrote: »
    Already got my room booked at the Warwick, I've never stayed there anybody out there stayed there before that could give me what they thought about the Warwick.

Technically, I've stayed there. But it was whilst waiting in line overnight for a movie. Shared with friends and we each got a shift to nap. I was tired and quickly in and out, but it seemed nice, didn't make me cringe, and the beds were comfy (I fell asleep really quickly and slept well, which I didn't expect). As I recall, though, the hotel restaurant is kind of fancy, so maybe save your budget by not eating there :)

tsrblke wrote: »

I don't know, there's something to be said for falling out of bed and making the 20 minute drive to get there. Pretty sure TSA isn't all up in your stuff to cross 520, yet. It's going to be different being car-free in Seattle, I haven't done that since I was 16.

I can't argue with that. Although this is the Vacation for the Wife and I, it adds something to it, IMHO. (Of course that also makes it a bit more stressful because there's this "must get enjoyment out of this" vibe that causes us to overexert ourselves.)

• istoleyourfoodistoleyourfood Registered User regular
    What is parking like at the event? How much to park? Is there a parking pass? Is it nearly impossible to park at the convention?

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I'm coming to PAX again!!! (does a happy dance) I can't wait, ridiculously excited about it. I'm bringing LewieP's Daddy with me ( NOT LewieP's Step-Daddy; the one I'm married to) and he's not a geek, never been to a con but is looking forward to it. I've explained about all the pre- and post- PAX stuff, he's interested in that, and I'm sooooo looking forward to it! We may be looking for room-sharers, as I think we'll be renting an apartment near to PAX.

@istoleyourfood parking is ridiculously expensive, hard to find spaces and they're all small spaces. I'm definitely not hiring a car this time.

Wooooooooooooo, coming to PAX!!!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    What is parking like at the event? How much to park? Is there a parking pass? Is it nearly impossible to park at the convention?

I've driven up and parked a couple times. I usually park in the Two Union Square building, which is pretty much connected to the convention center. Not impossible to park at all. But I can't say off the top of my head how much we paid for parking. To be safe - expect $25 per day if you're driving/parking, and be pleasantly surprised at less.

melcene-wide.png

Our friend parked his car on our Hyatt room, it was $40/day, but it was 24 valet with in and out privledges. However, keep in mind that only applies if you have a room or know someone with a room at the Hyatt (FWIW, I think it was actually the same lot the WSCC uses, he was just garunteed a spot and got to leave it overnight.