As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I'm almost considering not pre-purchasing and just trying to forget about this game until release.

If the beta weekend passes and the game isn't released until September or so, its going to be painful D:

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm almost considering not pre-purchasing and just trying to forget about this game until release.

If the beta weekend passes and the game isn't released until September or so, its going to be painful D:

There will be more beta events, you know. And of course I'm streaming it all if you can't take the wait.

488W936.png
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    I am sloooooooow.

I just now realized that the BWE, if they start the last weekend of April, will be starting on the 7 year anniversary of Guild Wars. I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner. :lol:

Damn, now the 27th seems it's more likely to be the weekend the event starts.

But still! Only two and a half weeks left.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Also, WaM. I don't know if you had anything to do with that buy site (I would imagine so since you're on the web team). But it's really well designed and conveys the pretty of the game very well.

Yep, this has been my big project for the last month or so. Our whole team says thanks!

kQwcZLJ.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    We should all get together in game during the BWE and give WaM's character a group hug. And then go on an adventure!

488W936.png
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I would love a group hug, please.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ehhhhhhhhh

What the hell. Sure, why not? Let's take screenshots of it while we're at it. It could be something of a "family" photo.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aww yeah, pre-purchased and registered. BWE can't come soon enough!

Edit: And yeah, thanks WaM, that site was well-designed and the process was completely painless. Much love to you and your team.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Impulse purchased.

That website made it so damn easy to take my money and link my old (old, old) GW1 account.

Kudos to the web team.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I feel like I should get some sort of bonus points from Anet... I've now recruited 4 people who weren't even looking at the game into definite buyers. FEELS GOOD.

• derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    Bah, our local retailer keeps changing their story about the CE, pre-purchases, everything. I was thinking on cancelling my Zavvi pre-order but i guess i'll keep it. Knowing their reputation, i'll probably get the pre-access codes some days after the real launch of the game :/

Now find time to do the rest of what i wanted in GW1 to "fill" my HoM.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • n2lognn2logn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I typed in an invalid display name (didn't realize numbers weren't ok) and now I'm perma-stuck on step 2: create your guildwars2 account. Every time I hit next it just displays the same page. (windows 7; chrome)

[edit] closed the window and used the one from the purchase email and it went through a-ok

n2logn on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    @WaM The web-based marketplace pages looked AWESOME. I'm almost sad that you guys locked them down.

26904.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Testing out buying it from Play.com for £10 cheaper.

Technically it's "awaiting stock" so no codes upon purchase.

Also @World As Myth, although the A.net pre-purchasers list includes Amazon as a viable source of pre-purchase for the UK, GW2 is not listed by them on their .co.uk site.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=guild+wars+2&x=0&y=0

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    I noticed that. I believe this tweet is addressing that (and some other concerns):
    Morning (orevening) everybody. We are aware that there are some retailer problems. We are working with them to solve it. ^MK

kQwcZLJ.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This might have been posted already, but the FAQ was updated with some clarifications on the DD items. It is basically what we assumed to begin with:
    How does the Golem Banker work?

The Golem Banker provides unlimited access to your account storage from anywhere in-game for five consecutive days. The five-day period begins when you first use the Golem Banker. During the five-day period, you can use the Golem Banker's service as many times as you'd like.

How does the Chalice of Glory work?

The Chalice of Glory is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Glory to your account. Once used, the Chalice will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on your account.

How does the Tome of Influence work?

The Tome of Influence is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Influence to the guild you're representing. Once used, the Tome will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on the guild you are representing at the time of use.

How does the Summon Mistfire Wolf elite skill work?

When used, the elite skill will summon a Mistfire Wolf to temporarily fight alongside you and your allies.

They are nice little perks, but it is the Mistfire Wolf and Rytlock mini that make it worth it for me.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I would love a group hug, please.

Whelp, I better go shower first...you have to understand finally getting to hit that "purchase" button was a pretty big release.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    This might have been posted already, but the FAQ was updated with some clarifications on the DD items. It is basically what we assumed to begin with:

The Golem Banker provides unlimited access to your account storage from anywhere in-game for five consecutive days. The five-day period begins when you first use the Golem Banker. During the five-day period, you can use the Golem Banker's service as many times as you'd like.

The Chalice of Glory is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Glory to your account. Once used, the Chalice will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on your account.

The Tome of Influence is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Influence to the guild you're representing. Once used, the Tome will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on the guild you are representing at the time of use.

When used, the elite skill will summon a Mistfire Wolf to temporarily fight alongside you and your allies.

They are nice little perks, but it is the Mistfire Wolf and Rytlock mini that make it worth it for me.

That's not really any significant explanation, though. Is a Chalice of Glory equal to an hour's worth of pvp? A day's? Is the Mistfire wolf like other elites that you can't use till 30? Does it have a long cooldown? Does it suck compared to just about any other elite? Will I ever, ever use it again after I get a real elite?

What is this I don't even.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That's not really any significant explanation, though. Is a Chalice of Glory equal to an hour's worth of pvp? A day's? Is the Mistfire wolf like other elites that you can't use till 30? Does it have a long cooldown? Does it suck compared to just about any other elite? Will I ever, ever use it again after I get a real elite?

I think you may be expecting too much if those are the answers you want pre-release. I think what you see in terms of clarification is as good as it's going to get.

• florada34florada34 Registered User regular
    Bought, can't wait to play. Don't know if I want to play a necro healer or a guardian/warrior tank. -.-

LoL summoner name: Kamikazi34
    PS4: Kamikazi34Agny
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    florada34 wrote: »
    Bought, can't wait to play. Don't know if I want to play a necro healer or a guardian/warrior tank. -.-
    You could compete both objectives and just tank/heal with your Necro.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Buraisu wrote: »

Doubly possible since a Necro has the biggest health pool of any class! :winky:

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So, this is boughted.

And now... more waiting?

le sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular

This is what I'm doing, but add minion master to the mix!

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thread done exploded with posts right proper.

Well done on the site, WaM and crew.

Qanamil on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    For some reason ArenaNet had no account information on me even though I played the GW1 beta/trial. Had to create a new account. Oh well.

I think the only linkable accounts are the ones with EOTN attached.

That is weird, as they didn't specify. Just asked if I had a GW account. Oh well, doesnt matter.
    I linked my trail account, hoping for 3 HoM for linking. Don't think it has EOTN attached. Remember to use @ncsoft account when logging in.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    How do I time forward to beta time

What would the build look like? I'm confused looking at the necro skills tbqh.

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »

This is what I'm doing, but add minion master to the mix!

A tank/healer/DPS necro build is the way to go.

As it is with every profession.

...wow, it feels great to not actually have to worry about that stuff anymore. :lol:

It's awesome that builds will be stuff like "Minion Master" or "Curses", thanks to the awesome variety. No more generic universal labels!

(One of my favorite things from the first GW is how awesome the different build names are, and the sheer number of them.)

FWnykYl.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I'm having fun thinking up builds. Like a debuff Mesmer that just dances around enemies until they drop dead.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    For some reason ArenaNet had no account information on me even though I played the GW1 beta/trial. Had to create a new account. Oh well.

I think the only linkable accounts are the ones with EOTN attached.

That is weird, as they didn't specify. Just asked if I had a GW account. Oh well, doesnt matter.
    I linked my trail account, hoping for 3 HoM for linking. Don't think it has EOTN attached. Remember to use @ncsoft account when logging in.

Oh I forgot to do that. Whats weird is that it accepted my email address for a new account and I thougt it was already attached to an account.

• MoiraMoira Registered User regular
    Prepurchased and registered. The Charr plush was out of stock, so clearly I was forced to buy a Collector's Edition. Mate is jealous that he only got the Deluxe Digital edition. I might let him pretend that the statue belongs to him.

Downside was an overall negative experience at Gamestop. The female cashier handling the transaction was fine, despite me having to spell out my first and last name. I always have to do this. Vowels are hard, I understand. But a male employer was standing behind her making mocking facial expressions, laughing, and pointing at her. It made no sense, distracted me, and pissed me off. The lady was a decent cashier, and he'd have just as much trouble spelling my name. I pulled my cashier aside afterwards to let her know that her co-worker was an ass and that kind of senseless behavior is why I dislike shopping there. Left a note in the online survey for the district manager just in case the cashier tries to mention it to anyone and needs confirmation. Maybe he's just playful. But most likely he's just an ass.

edited April 2012

Probably something like this:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3837004nihlt4rh9100a0uu545n5t5u696ahr

That is a good tank/heal spec. To make it more tanking and less group heal, just replace group heals with self heals in traits and bar 6.

Edit: You could also go for a minion master spec but that is less direct tanking and you lose out on Spectral skills and Lich form. Lich form doubles health and gives a fear ability which is really good for control (a form of tanking). Spectral skills are all about tanking if you read up on what they do.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Probably something like this:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3837004nihlt4rh9100a0uu545n5t5u6567hr

That is a good tank/heal spec. To make it more tanking and less group heal, just replace group heals with self heals in traits and bar 6.

According to a recent interview, the Necro weapon skills have been changed around since the last beta weekend.

Also, there is no such thing as a healer or tank in GW2. ( @florada34 )

The Mistfire Wolf, like any elite, can't be used til 30 (confirmed by ANet). The general implication is that it will be like a racial elite (not as "good" as profession elites), but that is not strictly confirmed.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

I think you may be expecting too much if those are the answers you want pre-release. I think what you see in terms of clarification is as good as it's going to get.

Yeah, but I don't see a good reason to spring for it if I don't know. I may just get regular and save the $20 for other cash shop things.

What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2012
    In Guild Wars 2, a healer would be someone that through traits can group heal with more then one ability and a tank would be someone that can also absorb more damage and control more creatures then other players. Of course, we can just call this a support role, the support being more heals and/or more control and absorption ability then the average player. Even with absorption skills, they can't sit there and tank but they can do it longer then average player.

Sure, there is no tanks or healers by other MMOs definitions but within GW2, there are builds that can move closer to those roles then the average player. No GW2 tank can absorb all of the time, and any GW2 healer will be limited to one group heal and possibly two trait heals which isn't much but more then a player that only self-heals. Still, the player will be a hybrid of all roles tank/heal/DPS like any other GW2 player.

The holy trinity is only gone in the area that separate players do separate roles but the roles still exist in GW2 in hybrid form; that is everyone does a little bit of everything, some more then others.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    I think I'm just gonna go Guardian, thinking of this: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3ac6g09b9kmi9g9fbd0auu073787e7j7nibij
    not sure until i play with the class to find out how everything works though.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In Guild Wars 2, a healer would be someone that through traits can group heal with more then one ability and a tank would be someone that can also absorb more damage and control more creatures then other players. Of course, we can just call this a support role, the support being more heals and/or more control and absorption ability then the average player. Even with absorption skills, they can't sit there and tank but they can do it longer then average player.

Sure, there is no tanks or healers by other MMOs definitions but within GW2, there are builds that can move closer to those roles then the average player. No GW2 tank can absorb all of the time, and any GW2 healer will be limited to one group heal and possibly two trait heals which isn't much but more then a player that only self-heals. Still, the player will be a hybrid of all roles tank/heal/DPS like any other GW2 player.

The holy trinity is only gone in the area that separate players do separate roles but the roles still exist in GW2 in hybrid form; that is everyone does a little bit of everything, some more then others.

I think the simple elevator pitch is simply 'There are no *dedicated* healers or tanks' if you need to convey it to someone as simply as possible.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Spent some of the train ride home thinking of names and professions for my first characters. Will look over the skill building site now.

steam_sig.png
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to being able to get the name CobaltSixty (or Cobalt Sixty) instead of having to be Cobalt Sixty I in GW1 because the person with Cobalt Sixty hasn't logged in in forever

This discussion has been closed.