As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    steejee wrote: »
    I think the simple elevator pitch is simply 'There are no *dedicated* healers or tanks' if you need to convey it to someone as simply as possible.

I prefer it if we just dropped the terms "tank", "healer", and "DPS" all together. Let's replace them with "awesome", "fun", and "holyfuckthat'scool".

As in:

Yeah, I'm looking into a necro build that has a little bit of awesome, a good bit of fun, but heavily leans towards holyfuckthat'scool.

ironzerg on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    This might have been posted already, but the FAQ was updated with some clarifications on the DD items. It is basically what we assumed to begin with:
    How does the Golem Banker work?

The Golem Banker provides unlimited access to your account storage from anywhere in-game for five consecutive days. The five-day period begins when you first use the Golem Banker. During the five-day period, you can use the Golem Banker's service as many times as you'd like.

How does the Chalice of Glory work?

The Chalice of Glory is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Glory to your account. Once used, the Chalice will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on your account.

How does the Tome of Influence work?

The Tome of Influence is a one-time use item that will add a set amount of Influence to the guild you're representing. Once used, the Tome will be destroyed and the bonus will be reflected on the guild you are representing at the time of use.

How does the Summon Mistfire Wolf elite skill work?

When used, the elite skill will summon a Mistfire Wolf to temporarily fight alongside you and your allies.

They are nice little perks, but it is the Mistfire Wolf and Rytlock mini that make it worth it for me.

That's not really any significant explanation, though. Is a Chalice of Glory equal to an hour's worth of pvp? A day's? Is the Mistfire wolf like other elites that you can't use till 30? Does it have a long cooldown? Does it suck compared to just about any other elite? Will I ever, ever use it again after I get a real elite?

I think you may be expecting too much if those are the answers you want pre-release. I think what you see in terms of clarification is as good as it's going to get.

Yeah, but I don't see a good reason to spring for it if I don't know. I may just get regular and save the $20 for other cash shop things.

@Darkewolfe Oh, I am not disagreeing with you. When/if I buy it'll be Standard. I can't justify $20 for that extra stuff. I'm just pointing out I doubt you will see any more clarification than what has been given.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Engineers, or; 100 ways to reduce your opponents to little tiny bits.

My engie shall be a master of explosives and rifles. But I'd rather play with trait trees in the game and not go any more insane waiting to play.

Only a few more weeks!

488W936.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I has registered.

wuvwuv!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I dearly hope they rethink the idea of not letting people try out Asura and Sylvari in the weekend betas.

*Wants to play a Sylvari Ye Olde Arthurian Knight, er I mean Guardian*

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    i think it wasnt availible be cause it wasnt ready, not because anet wants to hold it secret.

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We could play Asura and Sylvari at PAX. Though, we didn't start in their starting area. They should make the races themselves available even if the starting areas are not ready.

47uk6agplx83.png
    I'm fairly certain somewhere in the sea of info a dev mentioned something about leaving surprises for release.

Hey, should we start a list of everyone's unique GW2 usernames on the front page? So we know who is who.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Will we need that once we get the guild set up?

Edit: oh I guess that's useful for telling who is who, yeah, although maybe we can have little info pages for our characters

Sarksus on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain somewhere in the sea of info a dev mentioned something about leaving surprises for release.

You are correct. They mentioned they may hold some stuff back as a surprise.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just checked out the skills page for the Guardian and Engineer. Wow, the skills seem pretty interesting. Lots of variety.
    Is there a site that explains what the different boons, and beneficial conditions are?

Isn't there a site that has an etymology of various fantasy names?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Even if they did include the Asura and the Sylvari in the BWE, I'm holding off on them until retail. That way, I can make sure that once they're available I can play as them without having to worry about restarting all over as far as the storyline goes.

I'm in favor of the username list, although the e-mail from pre-purchasing hinted that the handle you used in registering would be used as your in-game name. Not sure if that's really the case, however.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »
    Just checked out the skills page for the Guardian and Engineer. Wow, the skills seem pretty interesting. Lots of variety.
    Is there a site that explains what the different boons, and beneficial conditions are?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com is your best bet for everything

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Hey, should we start a list of everyone's unique GW2 usernames on the front page? So we know who is who.

Closer to the next BWE/when we are actually in, we can do that.

488W936.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Even if they did include the Asura and the Sylvari in the BWE, I'm holding off on them until retail. That way, I can make sure that once they're available I can play as them without having to worry about restarting all over as far as the storyline goes.

I'm in favor of the username list, although the e-mail from pre-purchasing hinted that the handle you used in registering would be used as your in-game name. Not sure if that's really the case, however.

I am guessing the username/handle we pick at registration is for the official forums and the in-game friend list.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Boons
    Conditions

Explanation of recent changes to boons and conditions

I believe there was one in the previous thread, regarding Norn names.

Archangle on
    No that was entirely a joke website, those are not in any way serious Norn names xP.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Post #4 seems like a good place to put these (assuming it is still editable by Corehealer). I'll always have some version of Dreaver in my character names: Penric Dreaver, Aranwe Dreaver, Dreaver Stamen, Holti Dreaver, etc.

I'll be looking for wuvwuv partners. I prefer small group action, so I'll be avoiding the zerg as much as possible and playing floater/harraser.

26904.png
  • Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Onomastikon, which we've talked about a couple of times. I usually link to the copy of it at gaminggeeks.org, but I've just discovered this version that doesn't have horrible colors. Awesome.

There's also Behind the Name, which is smaller but has more of an etymology focus.

These sites are about the etymology of real names, of course, not fantasy names.

• florada34florada34 Registered User regular
    My name is going to be Kamikazi Agny or Kamikazi Takeshi.

LoL summoner name: Kamikazi34
    PS4: Kamikazi34Agny
    edited April 2012
    Talking about the unique username with the four-digits that everyone should have now after completed all steps in the process. We haven't signed a NDA yet, so I assume it's not covered.

From my understanding based on interviews and articles, it's the username we use to add people to our friend's list, the username used invite people to guilds, and our username on the forums. It's like Blizzard's RealID, all characters are linked to the unique username and everyone in the guilds and on your friend's list can see whatever character you are logged in with.

Edit: Oh and your unique username, not your characters are linked to a single home server based on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_server

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yes. Edit: The beta weekend events will not be under NDA. These are distinct from closed beta tests.

I used my default handle (Squid) and now I'm wishing I hadn't, because it's a common word, so my numbers are going to be visible ingame.

Architeuthis Dux on
    edited April 2012
    Kind of wish the numbers were not random and given out from lowest to highest. So the first person would be 0001 or 0000.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that just gives people a tool to feel superior though

i'd rather roll the dice and possibly get to be Ineed.8008

liEt3nH.png
    Or allow people to pick the number; everyone could be a 8008.

47uk6agplx83.png
    Mmmmm I need to stop looking at the talent calculators. I've flip flopped on what I want to play about 20 times already. Might just end up being a boring elementalist. http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=321020gj292flfgo00uu00a0g0h0l0me8f009

• RexNerdlyRexNerdly HereRegistered User regular
    I felt a great deal of relief after prepurchasing the DDE today. The hard part is done, now give me some betas! :D

• Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version... and my confirmation e-mail arrived all in French. Should I be worried about being region-locked to Europe even though I don't live there?

Anyone got some comments on http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=368000111tm85dmci0up00f3b3f3mfpg0gv ? I have no idea what I'm doing/thinking.

From my understanding based on interviews and articles, it's the username we use to add people to our friend's list, the username used invite people to guilds, and our username on the forums. It's like Blizzard's RealID, all characters are linked to the unique username and everyone in the guilds and on your friend's list can see whatever character you are logged in with.

Edit: Oh and your unique username, not your characters are linked to a single home server based on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_server

I'm wondering how many people will pick their username based on their GW1 main char... which is a security question for login.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This has probably been covered, but can we do anything with the serial key that preordering gives us or is it already applied when we create our account? I can't find a 'my account' section or anything to login to.

edited April 2012
    Pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version... and my confirmation e-mail arrived all in French. Should I be worried about being region-locked to Europe even though I don't live there?

Are you canadian? You might have been going through a router in Quebec. Drop a message to http://support.guildwars2.com/ just to be on the safe side.
    vamen wrote: »
    This has probably been covered, but can we do anything with the serial key that preordering gives us or is it already applied when we create our account? I can't find a 'my account' section or anything to login to.

If you keep clicking the "Continue" buttons buying digitally it'll take you straight through to the account and automatically copypasta your serial.

Otherwise you should receive an email with details of your purchase (including the serial key) and there should be a "register your account" button in the email.

Archangle on
    Archangle wrote: »

I'm wondering how many people will pick their username based on their GW1 main char... which is a security question for login.
    Well, GW1 required at least two names per character and I think the new unique username will be a single word and some numbers, I don't remember the requirements. You may still need to login with the @ncsoft account which is separate from the unique username.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it did the automatic business, but was paranoid about it.
    And oddly there's no 'register account' in the email, which is what I looked for. Maybe if you register it via the automatic process it leaves that part out.

I think I'm good to go, just wanted to be sure =)

• Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular

Are you canadian? You might have been going through a router in Quebec. Drop a message to http://support.guildwars2.com/ just to be on the safe side.

I'm not; I live in Arizona. Regardless, I sent them an e-mail through their support page.

edited April 2012
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it did the automatic business, but was paranoid about it.
    And oddly there's no 'register account' in the email, which is what I looked for. Maybe if you register it via the automatic process it leaves that part out.

I think I'm good to go, just wanted to be sure =)

It should be in the "Thank you for pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2!" email - note that the "Register your account" button is an actual button image, not a text link. If you're not using an HTML email program, or do not have guildwars2.com added to your safe senders list, it might not show up.

Otherwise the link should be of the format:

https://register.guildwars2.com/register?p=<your-CD-key-including-hyphens-here&gt;

EDIT:

I'm not; I live in Arizona. Regardless, I sent them an e-mail through their support page.

Reminds me of a support reply I got back from SWTOR in German. I sent them an email saying "I'm not sure if this has resolved my issue or not, because I can't read what you sent me".

Archangle on
  • EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I heard there was a group hug.

I want to be included in all hugging and hugging related activities.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    No that was entirely a joke website, those are not in any way serious Norn names xP.

Thick McLargehuge

JtgVX0H.png
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Thick McLargehuge

Bob Johnson.

FWnykYl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.