As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything is now inadequate: Post PAX Blues

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    this year was my second pax. last year was kind of 'so what is this pax thing all about?' it was good, but this year was just amazing. like blew me away amazing. i didn't do anything i planned but i still had an unbelievable time, from the pre-pax dinner right through to the gearbox panel that let out late on sunday, every part of it was fantastic. everyone i met was awesome and i just can't wait for next year. i honestly don't know what else to say. you guys are the best.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    Divebommah wrote: »
    The_Saves wrote: »
    So, this was my sixth PAX (5 prime, 1 East) and my blues are for Boston in general. I've been looking into jobs because I want to go back so bad. It's never been so unfortunate that I live in Seattle. This place is great, but Boston sounds even better right now.

Isn't it a lovely city? I say this only having seen the downtown/airport area of course, but I love the architecture of the place. And don't forget, fellow Northwesterner (Portlander here), we're just coming out of the rainy season so our cities are about to get a lot nicer. :)

The city is gorgeous. I didn't really get a chance to wander off very far, but what I saw was fantastic. It's just so different. The history, the culture, and the people all bleed together into a awesome package. The northwest is still beautiful in it's own ways, but our cities are so different. Though, you are totally right. Our rainy season is ending, and after that is why I feel in love with the Seattle area.

Stupid PPB, making me second guess everything.

Ummm...
  • Options
    JaylewJaylew Registered User regular
    The blues are hitting me hard, but I like to think its valid in a case where, for the rest of the year, I am literally the only gamer I know.

The weekend was like slipping into a warm bath. Before I moved to Boston for work I had weekly tabletop game nights, many of my friends gamed, and there were hangouts for us that welcomed our group. These days, I have to either explain what I'm talking about every time I try to have a conversation (which means gaming will inevitably come up) or just not talk/pretend I don't know or care about games in order to socialize.

It made going back to work on Monday miserable, but I just try to stay psyched about next year while I play single-player games and design new D&D campaigns noone will likely ever play.

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I put on my badge this morning out of habit. I has a sad.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jaylew wrote: »
    The blues are hitting me hard, but I like to think its valid in a case where, for the rest of the year, I am literally the only gamer I know.

The weekend was like slipping into a warm bath. Before I moved to Boston for work I had weekly tabletop game nights, many of my friends gamed, and there were hangouts for us that welcomed our group. These days, I have to either explain what I'm talking about every time I try to have a conversation (which means gaming will inevitably come up) or just not talk/pretend I don't know or care about games in order to socialize.

It made going back to work on Monday miserable, but I just try to stay psyched about next year while I play single-player games and design new D&D campaigns noone will likely ever play.

Sounds like you just need to meed some more gamers in your area, which is certainly not an insurmountable task. I assume you live in Boston based on your post and there is, in fact, a monthly meetup in Boston of Penny Arcade folks. There is a thread in the PAX forums somewhere. Here is the Facebook page. The next meet is April 24th. I would suggest you check it out. I live in MD, and we have a [shameless plug]similar monthly meetup[/shameless plug] of PAX'ers and it has always been a blast.

Edit: Found the thread. It's an old thread, but is still the current one to my knowledge. Someone who is actually part of the Boston group feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    d3r371ctd3r371ct pittsburghRegistered User regular
    this year was my first pax. went with a friend from work.
    my boss banned pax-talk at one point, but it didn't stop us from being all giddy about it.
    def. bummed that it's over. coming home to a star wars xbox lessened the sting.
    next year i'm thinking borderlands mordecai cosplay!

lemon curry?
  • Options
    The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    The_Saves wrote: »
    Divebommah wrote: »
    Isn't it a lovely city? I say this only having seen the downtown/airport area of course, but I love the architecture of the place. And don't forget, fellow Northwesterner (Portlander here), we're just coming out of the rainy season so our cities are about to get a lot nicer. :)

The city is gorgeous. I didn't really get a chance to wander off very far, but what I saw was fantastic. It's just so different. The history, the culture, and the people all bleed together into a awesome package. The northwest is still beautiful in it's own ways, but our cities are so different. Though, you are totally right. Our rainy season is ending, and after that is why I feel in love with the Seattle area.

Stupid PPB, making me second guess everything.

I love the shit out of Seattle. It's by far my favorite city. It beats Osaka, San Fran, and a whatever other cool cities I've been to. And it's big in game dev. So I could work there if I'm awesome enough :3

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brew78 wrote: »
    As I opened my 3DS this morning, I remembered that there wouldn't be 10 Mii's waiting.
    And that I had to go to work.
    It was sad.

SAME! How am I going to finish Find Mii 2 now!!!

• Options
    spaniospanio Cartoonist Kentucky, USARegistered User regular
    I'm not really sure if I'm happy to have found this thread or not.. but man, PAX blues hits HARD.
    This year was my first PAX experience and if I have my way, it'll be only the first of a twice annual experience. I've been considering a move to get away from the midwest, and now I have yet another city clamoring for my residence. I suppose Seattle will create similar feelings when I make my way to PAX Prime later this year.
    For anyone who has been to both PAX East and Prime, which is better? Will I be disappointed by Prime since I had such a great time at East?

ojjuJ.gif gLmBL.gif
  • Options
    nalemnalem Registered User regular
    No sadness, guys! There's still PAX Prime to look forward to! :) I'm going to do everything I can to get to it and every upcoming PAX until my awesome death by space sharks.

This year was my very first PAX. It was amazing. It had such an astonishing impact on me and my life. Somehow it cheered up this bitter spirit. It actually felt like a part of myself was returned to me. I also love video games again! If there's a heaven, I hope it's just like PAX. :)

heirbannerblank.png
    Lighter than Heir- Military, drama, flying girls. 3 days a week.
  • Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular

If you're looking for gamers, my friends and I have a weekly board game night at Comicazi in Davis Square in Somerville. We've played everything from Arkham Horror to BSG to Blood Bowl to GMT wargames (e.g., Twilight Struggle) to Game of Thrones. We have a blast. You should check it out by visiting their website or send me a message on here.

• Options
    RahvnaarRahvnaar Registered User regular
    My first PAX and I feel it. 99% of co-workers will never understand. Ugh curse you 8-5! lol

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

That's exactly how my life is too. My son is getting to be a good co-op partner for video games, but I really don't have any adult video/board/card gamers in my life (except the occasional Pokemon card battle with the kid). Like many here I'm painfully introverted so just showing up to Magic night at a local shop and trying to slide into their existing groups just isn't in my comfort zone (and would require me to buy cards again) and finding a D&D group is even less likely. Maine really isn't a hot bed of gaming groups, so PAX is that one time each year where I can truly relax - the warm bath is probably the best comparison I've ever heard for how I feel at PAX.

...and now I feel worse again...

• Options
    ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular

That's exactly how my life is too. My son is getting to be a good co-op partner for video games, but I really don't have any adult video/board/card gamers in my life (except the occasional Pokemon card battle with the kid). Like many here I'm painfully introverted so just showing up to Magic night at a local shop and trying to slide into their existing groups just isn't in my comfort zone (and would require me to buy cards again) and finding a D&D group is even less likely. Maine really isn't a hot bed of gaming groups, so PAX is that one time each year where I can truly relax - the warm bath is probably the best comparison I've ever heard for how I feel at PAX.

...and now I feel worse again...

I feel for you up here in Maine! :)

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    The little green light on my 3DS doesn't light up anymore. That feels wrong now.

• Options
    extra level of pax sad: forums will soon be taken over with prime discussion (the FAQ is already up!) and i cannot attend prime. this means that not only is pax east over, my regular habit of hanging about the forums is over for a while as well. SO MUCH SAD.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    JaylewJaylew Registered User regular
    gespo89 wrote: »

Sounds like you just need to meed some more gamers in your area, which is certainly not an insurmountable task. I assume you live in Boston based on your post and there is, in fact, a monthly meetup in Boston of Penny Arcade folks. There is a thread in the PAX forums somewhere. Here is the Facebook page. The next meet is April 24th. I would suggest you check it out. I live in MD, and we have a [shameless plug]similar monthly meetup[/shameless plug] of PAX'ers and it has always been a blast.

Edit: Found the thread. It's an old thread, but is still the current one to my knowledge. Someone who is actually part of the Boston group feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate.
    You may now be my new best friend. Its kind of tough to just walk into Pandemonium and ingratiate two people into their well established group (tried to talk up the Guy behind the counter about what tabletop groups are regulars, he ignored us entirely to talk MTG with his coworker). Something like that is amazing.
    Tennberg wrote: »

If you're looking for gamers, my friends and I have a weekly board game night at Comicazi in Davis Square in Somerville. We've played everything from Arkham Horror to BSG to Blood Bowl to GMT wargames (e.g., Twilight Struggle) to Game of Thrones. We have a blast. You should check it out by visiting their website or send me a message on here.

Hey, I may just do that. I'm stunted to most board games, as is my girlfriend (who, after one PAX has gone from casual interest in my hobby to spending most of my tax return on games for us to play, having grown up loving board games but only recently discovering just how many kinds there are) but one of the things we did all during PAX was just ask if groups would mind helping two beginners learn while they play.

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    They should probably just plan to hand out a farewell parting bag with some Xanax or Celexa in it since they know we are all going to be depressed at the real world after seeing how awesome that one is!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    JerzeyLegendJerzeyLegend Registered User regular
    I went to PAX for the first time. It was great. I was with a group of people from my gaming community, we were 24 deep. We had guys from Sweden and Australia. It was so much fun, no bad moments at all. Good food, games, and just having the times of our lives.

I was more sad to leave them, than see PAX end. I came for my friends tbh, PAX was just a bonus. Next year we hope to be 30 deep, and just as much fun.

I was sad, but as I got closer to home, I started to miss my wife and kids.

• Options
    FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    My mind is sad, but my body is thankful! This was my second PAX, both in Boston. I had a great time again, and I can't wait til next year! Seriously though, I am still pretty sore from wandering around the convention and Boston and also hauling my PC stuff around at the endpoints of the weekend.

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    gespo89 wrote: »

You may now be my new best friend. Its kind of tough to just walk into Pandemonium and ingratiate two people into their well established group (tried to talk up the Guy behind the counter about what tabletop groups are regulars, he ignored us entirely to talk MTG with his coworker). Something like that is amazing.

Glad I could help. Just don't forget that the awesome community we are a part of doesn't magically vanish 362 days out of the year. It's just not out on display to the same extent, so you have to look a little for it.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    We'll always have Pork Buns! Pork Buns!

• Options
    StealthyPirateStealthyPirate Registered User regular
    Just finished watching The Labyrinth and I feel like the end sums up what I wish would happen. I wish i could look around my room and see cosplayers in the mirror saying dont be blue, we will always be here.....and should you ever need us just ask, Then I do and everyone pops up again!!!! Wow.....just realized how pathetic that sounded......lol

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    jjjewels wrote: »
    We'll always have Pork Buns! Pork Buns!

Yip! Yip! Yip! Yip!

• Options
    nalemnalem Registered User regular
    Catching up on PA the series and seeing all of the PAX footage has made me all gloomy. :C Fortunately, PAX Prime is only 4 months away :3

heirbannerblank.png
    Lighter than Heir- Military, drama, flying girls. 3 days a week.
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    This whole weekend felt like I was living in a dream. I had such a blast and met so many awesome people. I have some of the blues but been realizing how nerdy my friends from home are. "Wait you went to PAX? I totally would have went with you!" And other such things. =P

<3

• Options
    ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular
    msmya wrote: »
    This whole weekend felt like I was living in a dream. I had such a blast and met so many awesome people. I have some of the blues but been realizing how nerdy my friends from home are. "Wait you went to PAX? I totally would have went with you!" And other such things. =P

<3

I've been telling most of friends to come with me to pax, but they were never convinced about how much fun it can be. This was my first pax and I come back on Sunday and I tell them about what I did and showed the pictures I took, needless to say I think I have a big group coming with me next year haha...

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    ErickaJo wrote: »
    On the plus side, my cat has finally forgiven me for ditching him for the weekend.

My cat was horrifically blindingly happy to the point that we wondered if he was going to rub his face off that we were back.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    extra level of pax sad: forums will soon be taken over with prime discussion (the FAQ is already up!) and i cannot attend prime. this means that not only is pax east over, my regular habit of hanging about the forums is over for a while as well. SO MUCH SAD.

I'm possibly in this boat, as well, as much as I want to go to Prime. Can we try to keep the PAX East Only community active through the summer? ;.;

vicechan on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »

I'm possibly in this boat, as well, as much as I want to go to Prime. Can we try to keep the PAX East Only community active through the summer? ;.;

There should be a PAX East 2013 thread up once it gets closer to PAX Prime, you can post in there! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options

Chorazin wrote: »
    There should be a PAX East 2013 thread up once it gets closer to PAX Prime, you can post in there! :)

yes! let's keep that thread active! i plan on working on cosplay stuff for east 2013 all summer anyway, since i won't have time once i resume grad classes in the fall. don't leave me, pax friends!

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options

Actually, I go to that too- usually around every other week, but lately less. Anna's and Red Bones FTW!

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    quoting myself from the wiki thread ;)
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Now that PAX East is over and still fresh on everyone's mind, what better way to keep the PAX Spirit alive than to help work on the wiki? Help expand PAX East specific articles, or work on as of yet unmade articles for certain departments at PAX! Maybe work on community event pages? The possibilities are endless!

• Options
    IfandbutIfandbut Registered User regular

I have the same issue.
    I do have some friends on-line (some of whom I went to PAX this year with) I loved being able to play games BESIDES video games with people.

• Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    There's a lot of PAXers on Twitter lamenting the end of PAX. I was one of them, but then I went to my local game store (Battleground Games, maybe you saw their booth?) in Abington & was invited to join an annual Necromunda zombie crawl. It picked me right back up. So I have this advice for you all; try to keep gaming. I know some of you have complained that breaking into your local game store's scene is tough, but there are certainly alternatives if the scene is crappy or you have crippling anxiety or you're simply not willing or not able to put in the time.

XBL has Ticket to Ride & Catan (I believe).

Introduce your friends and/or family to games you tried at PAX. I know I've gotten my own mother interested in Ascension.

Just keep interacting with the PAX community. Even if you're not going to Prime it's fun to be part of the conversation.

There's certainly things you can do to keep the PAX spirit alive until next year (or sooner if you can afford to go to Prime) & I speak from experience when I say it's really helped me get past my PPD.

• Options
    firedragon0781firedragon0781 VermontRegistered User regular
    Being back to work and "normal" life has been terrible. :( I had so much fun over the weekend. I come back home, and everyone is like "How was your vacation?", but 2 min into telling them about how AWSOME it was, they completely loose interest. None of them understand why I have already blocked off on the work calendar a week off for me to go back next year. They just keep asking, "Why go back just for that?" It's really hard not knowing any other gamers up here (living in kind of the empty part of a small state). Just have to keep playing and counting down the weeks until next year.

• Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yes! let's keep that thread active! i plan on working on cosplay stuff for east 2013 all summer anyway, since i won't have time once i resume grad classes in the fall. don't leave me, pax friends!

What are your cosplay plans? :) Going to any other cons between now and then?

There's a lot of PAXers on Twitter lamenting the end of PAX.

For real, #PAX is so sad. But we're united in the sad.

vicechan on
  • Options
    I suppose I could always try to organize a whitewater rafting trip in maine for gamers...

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    For real, #PAX is so sad. But we're united in the sad.
    We're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinking alone.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It's sad not sharing a room with my girlfriend (we're dating long distance so don't get to spend as much time together as we'd like) and two friends now that the event is over. Back to my boring old apartment four hours away from everyone :(