As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So how much did you spend?

OhyOhy Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Just out of curiosity. I came into Boston on Thursday with 300.00 and left with 120.00 on Monday. Only things I bought were food, a Pax scarf, and raffle tickets and maybe one or two cabs. Couple of my other friends blew money away however. I left with about 17+ shirts, couple of prizes from raffles and other goodies. It all turned out great!

Ohy on

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I spent a ton of money, but mostly in Boston and not exactly at the show. At the show itself i probably spent $200 on merch and food. Rest of my money went to fancy lunches and dinners. Went to Douzo Sushi and Mooo Steakhouse, plus a couple trips to Liberty Wharf right by BCEC.

• spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    Around 500 I guess? I'm impulsive and blew through my original 300 by Saturday.
    Got some merch, games, cookies, fancy breakfasts, overpriced venue food. It adds up pretty quick.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    I'm a local, so I spent nothing when I was there. Just $35 for the ticket. I only had $7 in my wallet when I was at the PAX on Saturday.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Wasn't very expensive for me...Spent like 120 on food, beverage and Charlie Card which I don't consider awful for 4 days at a con.

• RygarieRygarie Registered User regular
    1500.00 LMAO! I bought a kilt, a scarf, some t-shirts, 6 table top games, Food and booze. Of course I saved for it I wanted to make sure I had a good time.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, I brought about 230ish in cash, and between the trip up, the trip back, PAX itself, and food etc at the hotel, I blew through all of that but about 5 bucks, and put about 75 bucks worth of games on my card so I'd guess about 300 give or take 20 bucks.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think I only spent like $50 minus lodging and gas.

Can you buy the PAX scarves and shirts online? Or were they available at the convention center only?

• OhyOhy Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Can you buy the PAX scarves and shirts online? Or were they available at the convention center only?

Your best bet would be ebay but the prices would probably be insane for a scarf.

If I was 21+ I am pretty sure I would of spent a lot more in booze! :X

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

The scarves and shirts are a con exclusive design each year.

• stebuustebuu Crabs are fucking crazy, and I hate horses Registered User regular
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I had my usual $400 for plane tickets and $200 for hotel (the rest was covered by roommates). Since I hardly ate anything, I wound up dumping a couple hundred dollars on Cookie Brigade cookies (omnom). Overall, I came in just under $1,000, which is below average for me.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The only merch I bought this year was the $5 Mega64 DVD and a PAX Scarf. I played it super cheap this year, there just wasn't anything I needed/wanted that I haven't been able to get at any other PAX.

Between food/hotel/etc I just didn't need much else.

• JaylewJaylew Registered User regular
    Being local is nice, other than $52 for shirt, scarf, and poster and my pass I didn't really spend anything.

Would have, had I the cash though.

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    $739 for hotel, $20 on gas, $15 on MBTA fare, $80 on food, $35 for Titanic 3D (And I LIKED it), $150 on merch.

So $1,039. Holy crap. I need someone to show me this post 10 months from now and remind me to save some money.

Ohy wrote: »

Your best bet would be ebay but the prices would probably be insane for a scarf.

If I was 21+ I am pretty sure I would of spent a lot more in booze! :X

Oh well, I'll get one next year. I didn't have enough money on me at the time.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hmm.. actually did the final tally:
    $819 on hotel
    $140 on train tickets
    $120 on food and snacks
    $80 on some board games
    $65 on a pass
    $45 on cookie brigade
    $40 on misc. transportation
    $20 on a scarf

Total: $1329

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and probably will twice a year for the foreseeable future.. Hands down one of the best experiences of my life, and worth every penny. I'll be frugal the rest of the year, PAX is worth splurging a bit.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • d3r371ctd3r371ct pittsburghRegistered User regular
    brought 300. walked in the apt. with 20

lemon curry?
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    It wasn't to bad for me for east seeing as i live in boston and know where to go for cheapo.
    Ticket- $60
    BYOC Ticket= $30
    Food= $30 (brought alot of my own)
    Transportation= walked

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    at the show, i spent around $80, and that's not counting food
    i did walk away with some cool stuff though

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    $45 on merch
    $42 on food
    Still have $200

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    Went with 400, left with 250. Not bad.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not going to count, because I don't want the total all at once ;) I'll cringe at each portion separately (hotel/food/etc) as I look at my bank statements.

my friend ran into a dude with the LoL skin PAX jax, he paid the kid $70 on the spot for it. the kid seemed happy, but my friend said he would have paid double for it. i was pretty amazed, it must be really rare.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    my friend ran into a dude with the LoL skin PAX jax, he paid the kid $70 on the spot for it. the kid seemed happy, but my friend said he would have paid double for it. i was pretty amazed, it must be really rare.

The real question is did it work when he got home?

Not only is it really rare, it's the best skin in the game. It makes Jax into the Cardboard Tube Samurai.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    it did work, i watched him do it. he was worried, but the dude seemed nice and chatted with us for a while.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm not going to count, because I don't want the total all at once ;) I'll cringe at each portion separately (hotel/food/etc) as I look at my bank statements.

haha, i finally grit my teeth and looked at my bank account and credit card balances this morning. bank account isn't as bad as it could have been, but the credit card is maxed. oh well. it was worth it.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I blew $450 in cash over the weekend (merch, food, misc), $45 in gas, $75 I charged at Fangamer, and my $213 share of the hotel bill on my card.

Totally worth it!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • OhyOhy Registered User regular
    Well since people added hotels I might as well do a total.

Hotel - 150.00 (Thursday-Monday split between 5 people)
    Greyhound Round Trip - 64.00
    Raffle Tickets - 40.00
    Goodlife BarCraft Entry - 5.00
    Pax Badge - 65.00
    Pax Scarf - 20.00
    Food- 60.00 (Estimate)

404.00 in total. Spent around the same last year. My bank is taking a hit being a full time college student who is unemployed :X

@LocalHJay holy crap is it worth that much???? No wonder all I found was silvirs. My friends wanted some LoL skins so I tried grabbing a few. Only have silvirs. I don't play LoL myself.

I came out of pax with 17 shirts, 1 corsair m90 vengeance mouse, 1 Qpad mouse pad signed by esports people, 1 xbox 360 wired controller and 1 year of mlg subscription code. None of which I really want so hopefully I will get some cash back (except for shirts!) :X

Ohy wrote: »
    Well since people added hotels I might as well do a total.

Hotel - 150.00 (Thursday-Monday split between 5 people)
    Greyhound Round Trip - 64.00
    Raffle Tickets - 40.00
    Goodlife BarCraft Entry - 5.00
    Pax Badge - 65.00
    Pax Scarf - 20.00
    Food- 60.00 (Estimate)

404.00 in total. Spent around the same last year. My bank is taking a hit being a full time college student who is unemployed :X

@LocalHJay holy crap is it worth that much???? No wonder all I found was silvirs. My friends wanted some LoL skins so I tried grabbing a few. Only have silvirs. I don't play LoL myself.

I came out of pax with 17 shirts, 1 corsair m90 vengeance mouse, 1 Qpad mouse pad signed by esports people, 1 xbox 360 wired controller and 1 year of mlg subscription code. None of which I really want so hopefully I will get some cash back (except for shirts!) :X

Luck you. I only came away with two shirts at the PAX.

• FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    I spent a little under $200. Most of it went to the Pokecrawl & hotel room. I'm local, but hotel is a must with 800+ cookies to move in Wednesday.

• jsh357jsh357 Registered User regular
    $105 on passes (I bought a Friday one then a full pass off Craigslist)
    $550 on hotel
    $60 on Bus tickets
    $85 on swag
    $40 on food

So around $840. Could have been worse

• Etan LawokEtan Lawok Registered User regular
    Minus hotel, car expenses I only bought a shirt and Settlers of Catan.

That and food and the convention center and I ate out every night and that adds up quick.

Probably too much overall but it was worth it of course.

Nate.
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Three Day Pass - $65
    Hotel - $150 (woot, split room)
    Train tickets - $136
    Spending cash and snacks/drinks for the train and show - $400, mostly food and booze and tips at restaurants.

Not bad. I saved up that spending money for a few months ahead of time.

• MangMangMangMang Illustrator JerseyRegistered User new member
    Haha, after seeing this thread I now wondered why and how I lost so much!

Stayed at a Hostel for 5 nights - $130.00
    Food - roughly $100
    Transportation - $60
    Swag - $40
    Other expenses - $120

In the end, roughly spent $450.
    Next time I'll try to only spend $200!!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I spent 90 on actually stuff, and maybe 200 on food?

Got like two shirts, the scarf, and a board game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    About $1000 total:
    65 for the badge
    300 airfare
    90 for the airport shuttle (here, not in Boston; I live 50 miles from the airport so it was 45 each way)
    103 for hotel (yay for roomshare!)
    70 on merch/games at PAX
    80 or so on cabs thanks to getting ripped off a few times by assholes taking the long way around
    30 at The Compleat [sic] Strategist on Monday
    The rest on food, Guinness, and coffee

Breaking it down like this in my head the other day made me realize there were some places where I could have saved A LOT of money, mainly the cabs (take the T instead!), the airport shuttle (Greyhound next time!), and the airfare, which is cheaper depending on when you book your flight.

Totally worth it, though. :)

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099