As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Meh, like it matters. It's being developed by the top 3 developers now notorious for not bringing fan desired games over to the NA market. This doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of crossing the pond.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I could see Nintendo being a publisher for it. They published a lot of the namco and capcom games in EU, didn't they?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So X is finally given a spot in a crossover game. About fucking time.

JP 3DS purchase vindicated once again.

EVOL on
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shit, they published Pandora's Tower, not to mention all other kinds of wonky shit. If they think this game will help them gain the favours of at the very least parts of the jilted "Western Hardcore" gamers, they're gonna do it. Series like Tales and Valkyria Chronicles have a pretty decent fanbase, not to mention RE, DMC and Megaman. They've done much more low-key stuff for flimsier reasons before, I'd say it's got a good chance of getting a western version for the brownie points potential alone.

In Europe of course, NA ain't seeing none of this shit I can tell you that much.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    SFxTekkenXPokemonxNobwhateverthatgameis.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I want a crossover crossover game.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

XXX

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Did they ever get around to launching Home, yet?

Lol, I go in there every few months just to see how much more crazy it can get. Despite us cracking on it here all the time it's ridiculously popular from what I can tell. Just weird shit like a guy walking around dressed like a dinosaur with a tiny pet Metal Gear following behind them.

It's got a few free games to get it's hooks into you, I sat at the bar and played some Sports Trivia game for almost an hour one night before I realized what I was doing. I won a football helmet for my avatar!

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Did they ever get around to launching Home, yet?

Lol, I go in there every few months just to see how much more crazy it can get. Despite us cracking on it here all the time it's ridiculously popular from what I can tell. Just weird shit like a guy walking around dressed like a dinosaur with a tiny pet Metal Gear following behind them.

It's got a few free games to get it's hooks into you, I sat at the bar and played some Sports Trivia game for almost an hour one night before I realized what I was doing. I won a football helmet for my avatar!

Trivia is a fucking goddamn addictive.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm curious as to whether this will make Sony be more conservative with the PS4, or double down on some new technology as a desperation move in the hopes they can get a repeat of Blu-ray.

jothki wrote: »
    I'm curious as to whether this will make Sony be more conservative with the PS4, or double down on some new technology as a desperation move in the hopes they can get a repeat of Blu-ray.

The thing they can never go back on is their streaming options. Sunday Ticket for PS3 was awesome after Week 1

mrt144 wrote: »

The thing they can never go back on is their streaming options. Sunday Ticket for PS3 was awesome after Week 1

I think I'm gonna sign up for Sunday Ticket this season, is everything in HD and without any major hiccups? And you get Red Zone Channel?

PS3 is the first console to add Amazon Video just last week too, which is awesome if you have Prime. A lot of good stuff on there that's not on NetFlix.

mrt144 wrote: »

I think I'm gonna sign up for Sunday Ticket this season, is everything in HD and without any major hiccups? And you get Red Zone Channel?

PS3 is the first console to add Amazon Video just last week too, which is awesome if you have Prime. A lot of good stuff on there that's not on NetFlix.

A lot of the quality is connection dependent. The first week they totally shit the bed but they comped it in payment and resolved it the rest of the weeks. Also, yes, you get redzone. It was one of the best things for me and me and my fantasy football obsessed wife. We really didn't notice the quality issues that much throughout the season.

Wierdest sense of deja vu right now typing this up.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

Any specifics? I've yet to find anything particularly noteworthy on Amazon Prime that's not on Netflix already, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, I'm torn about how to feel about the gamestop lawsuit

on the one hand gamestop are jerks. On the other hand I'm pretty tired of publishers trying to claw back used sales by whatever means they can

I guess I could theoretically recover 15 bucks, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget

Any specifics? I've yet to find anything particularly noteworthy on Amazon Prime that's not on Netflix already, but I'm open to suggestions.

I believe Amazon signed a deal with Discovery/NatGeo so there's a lot of their programming on there that I don't believe NetFlix has. That may have changed though as I haven't really logged into NetFlix to check.

Wife and I just bought Mad Men's most recent episode for 1.99

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Discovery is the big one for me. Watching last season of Deadliest Catch 4tw!

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Scans of Namco X Capcom X Sega are floating around now.

It looks exactly like they recruited Monolith Soft's B grade handheld team for this....i.e. it looks like NxC or OG Saga, i.e. it'll probably play like ass.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Legal update:
    The trial date for the case between Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella and Activision will begin on May 29, 2012

The case also includes The Infinity Ward Group, which is suing for unpaid bonuses, and rival Electronic Arts, which Activision claims conspired against them to destroy the Call of Duty franchise.

The original trial date was set for May 7, but was moved back at Activision's request.

A judge recently dismissed one of West and Zampella's two claims.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/09/activision-infinity-ward-court-date-set-for-may-29.aspx

This thing won't be decided until 2028 or so.
    Guitar Apprentice sued Ubisoft last week for patent infringement on a "media system and method of progressive musical instruction" in USP 8,119,896. Guitar Apprentice filed this patent on October 12, 2010, while Ubisoft's Rocksmith launched on October 18, 2011 in North America and is due to hit Europe and Australia in September this year.

A summary of the Guitar Apprentice patent describes its initial function as follows: "A method is provided for progressive musical instruction using a media system with processor-executable software modules storing musical performances each having a plurality of segments."

Ubisoft has previously acknowledged that Rocksmith took inspiration and technology from Game Tank's Guitar Rising, and it is currently in a legal dispute with the UK band Rocksmith, who claims it owns all rights to the name.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/09/ubisoft-sued-for-patent-infringement-over-rocksmith-technology/

Rocksmith didn't sell all that well, did it? The game sure is attracting a ton of legal issues for such a modest seller.

This saddens me about rocksmith. I was very skeptical about this game and the technology behind it, but ubisoft put out a gem no one bought. While I don't know how well of a teacher it is, for guitarists at any level it is fun. My favorite part is being able to improvise during songs, and using it's amp mode to screw off.

I was really hoping we'd get a RS2. With all that ubisoft learned from the first one, and some additional polish, it could have been a fantastic game IMO.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Scans of Namco X Capcom X Sega are floating around now.

It looks exactly like they recruited Monolith Soft's B grade handheld team for this....i.e. it looks like NxC or OG Saga, i.e. it'll probably play like ass.

Oh...probably then

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Smash Bros. vs Capcom.

I actually kinda wish that was a thing.

• OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I wish Namco would stop throwing Xenosaga characters into random games without ever doing anything with the actual franchise.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Smash Bros. vs Capcom.

Includes everyone but Mega Man.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »

Smash Bros. vs Capcom.

Mega Man is Day 1 DLC
    Fuck it, that's not their style.

The Capcom part of Smash Bros vs Capcom is all individual Day 1 DLC.

That's more like it.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Smash Bros. vs Capcom.

Mega Man is a trophy for beating the story mode.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Smash Bros. vs Capcom.

Mega Man is a trophy for beating the story mode.

You can also buy Megaman costumes for anybody that isn't Megaman.

Which is everybody.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    You guys are forgetting the important part, that all of the dlc is on disc and only available with the 3DS version comes out.

Also, that the Capcom side will mostly be comprised of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry characters.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So looking up more Lost Planet 3 stuff, I'm not really sure what I should be feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNcpQl-LFc&list=UUyuEAZQzRqhcaLZvQd9ZUNA

They're making it on Unreal Engine 3, with 1st person robot fighting and 3rd person on-foot. And you play as some construction worker named Jim.

edit: oh, it's a prequel. Hope you like ice.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Gmail was in "beta" for like five years

And has worked like a charm since! <.<

So looking up more Lost Planet 3 stuff, I'm not really sure what I should be feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNcpQl-LFc&amp;list=UUyuEAZQzRqhcaLZvQd9ZUNA

They're making it on Unreal Engine 3, with 1st person robot fighting and 3rd person on-foot. And you play as some construction worker named Jim.

edit: oh, it's a prequel. Hope you like ice.

That's one of the most unappealing MC I've seen in years. Can you please stop making every protagonist a white guy in his thirties with brown short hair? Thanks, devs.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's a pre-rendered cinematic trailer. All you should be feeling is "This means absolutely shit nothing. Show me some fucking gameplay."

Well, considering the developer is Spark Unlimited, I pretty much lost all hope on the game already anyway.

To be fair, Spark Unlimited apparently had a massive overhaul, but still... Their track record is just lolwut.

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Super hot off the presses.
    Project X Zone

The mysterious collaboration between Sega, Namco Bandai and Capcom has been revealed on the pages of Famitsu this week. As many speculated based off recent trademark filings, the 3DS game is titled Project X Zone (pronounced Project Cross Zone).

Project X Zone is a strategy RPG featuring characters from the three makers. According to Sinobi, which gets Famitsu in advance, the characters, in general, team up in pairs for fighting scenes.

Characters are listed here in their pairings:
    Capcom
    Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter 0), X and Zero (Mega Man), Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry), Chris and Jill (Resident Evil)
    Sega
    Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars), Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter), Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles), Ulala and Touma (Space Channel 5 and Shining Force EXA)
    Namco Bandai
    Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars), Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken), Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga), Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia), Kaito and Black Rose (.hack)

Damn.

So what are the odds that this actually get's a release outside of Japan? I'm still bitter about them not releasing Namco x Capcom stateside.

I'd be surprised if this was a complete list, Namco X Capcom must have had around 30 protagonist characters from both developers. I'm not going to lie, Sakura and Ogami are a big draw, but the original Namco X Capcom was a pretty shitty game and none of the other RPG crossovers seem to be any good.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    An under-whelming game doesn't get a PC sequel, devs blame piracy.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/131452/bulletstorm-sequel-cancelled-pc-piracy-mentioned
    Just to stir the pot a little, the story concludes with Capps' comment that sales of the PC version may have been harmed by piracy: "We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem."

Lilnoobs on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    So piracy did good in saving us from another game, basically?

Kind of like batman but with more (neck)beard.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It was posted earlier, and mocked there too.

"We did a poor job and made a shitty port.

MUST BE PIRATES"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    So piracy did good in saving us from another game, basically?

Kind of like batman but with more (neck)beard.

<3

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-11-peter-molyneux-why-i-quit-microsoft-and-why-my-new-game-will-change-the-world
    Conversely then, looking back at your time at Lionhead, what is your deepest regret?

Peter Molyneux:
    I take this as a personal failure. And it is a personal failure. Not being persuasive enough that Fable 3 needed more time. That's purely and utterly my fault. It's me not being clear enough about it. The subject matter of Fable 3 was really good. Becoming a king was a good centre point for a game. It's a shame we didn't find more time.

Why weren't you afforded more time for Fable 3?

Peter Molyneux:
    It's probably better if I don't go into the details of that. As a creative director you always have to be clear about why you need time. Any publisher in my experience over the years, they don't want to give you more time. Of course they don't, because it means more money. But they equally don't want you to make a mistake with the product.

It's very difficult for publishers to actually appreciate why more time is needed and what the business case for more time is. That's the responsibility of the director who's in charge of that developer. That's me - to explain that and make that clear.

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1617/Molyneux-This-is-my-last-chance
    The first time I pondered you retiring from Microsoft was when I heard about Milo being axed. You need creative fulfilment.

It took me a long time to get over it. Of course, I understood the decision. I really did. I’m not complaining about it. You have to be realistic about these things.

You can’t just grieve for months over the death of something, whether it’s a game or family member. But it was really hard.

What hurt the most is that the game actually worked. It was this amazing, emotionally engaging game that was all about forging a relationship with the player.
    It sounded like a goddamn minigame collection with some voice recognition features as part of the framing device.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/skylanders-craze-compared-to-90s-tamagochi-mania/094224
    Toy retail giant Toys R Us has compared the hunger for Activision’s Skylanders to the crazed fenzy that surrounded virtual pet toy Tamagotchi in the mid ‘90s.

The release of new figures for the game regularly leads to pre-opening queues at Toys R Us outlets across the US.

“The consumer is absolutely looking for the product and we continue to see Skylanders as one of our best sellers in the store,” the retailer’s divisional merchandising manager for electronics and entertainment Troy Peterson told The New York Post.

“We are consistently ordering products from Activision and are planning the business with them so we can meet the demand.

“As with any high-demand product, what we do as a retailer is try to be very organised and create lines with the guests, set expectations with them in terms of the inventory that we have. Our intent is to meet demand and exceed expectation with that.

“Toys R Us over its history, it has always been a top video game destination, I think that Skylanders has just reiterated and solidified that. We continue to plan Skylanders Giants with Activision and we are once again going to be the global launch partners with them.

“We plan to have exclusive product offerings like last year. We plan to be the No.1 retailer for Skylanders again, just like we were last year.”

Couscous on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Bulletstorm was fucking awesome, but doesn't really need a sequel.

This discussion has been closed.