As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I feel like Red Lanterns is the most underrated book in the relaunch. Like there should be a column out there titled "The Best Series You're Not Reading" or something. Part of it might be Benes art, the way he draws Bleez and stuff. I can see people being turned away by that.

But I really think we're watching a cool evolutionary process with this book. I could see the RLC becoming some sort of "Batman Corps of the Universe."

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    You learn more in issue #8 about the Indigo Tribe, but really #9 is where you discover everything about it

Ffff-

Oh well, at least some tidbits are bound to be revealed in #8.
    Arryn wrote: »
    I could see the RLC becoming some sort of "Batman Corps of the Universe."

It's funny, but I always felt that the Sinestro Corps had the potential to be this, especially in light of Sinestro's recent changes. Which other hero uses fear to instill order better than Batman? Hell, he almost got a ring once - all Sinestro has to do is tweak the criteria for finding members a bit.

H9f4bVe.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Man, what a crummy interview.

Johns kind of sucks at doing press. I kind of understand now why he rarely does any.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Has Johns' publicly answered any questions about the Green Lantern film yet?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What kind of questions? People involved in movies usually won't answer "Why did this suck?"

What kind of questions? People involved in movies usually won't answer "Why did this suck?"

Any kind. After GL was released he basically stopped talking about it everywhere. Sometimes they talk, but yeah I'm not surprised he's kept silent about it.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    It might be just me, but it sounded like Green Lantern never really had much Johns involvement in any important way.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Johns' job as Chief Creative Officer, was said to be all about bringing comics to TV, film, video games, toys, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Warner Bros. executives would trump his input every time, but it's not hard to see why people would look to him, to explain Green Lantern's failure.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I'm in no way defending Johns or the GL movie, but I'm pretty sure he became CCO after the movie had been in development for awhile. I'm not sure he could have done much to shift the direction of the film at that point.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Any kind. After GL was released he basically stopped talking about it everywhere. Sometimes they talk, but yeah I'm not surprised he's kept silent about it.

I'm pretty sure it's a painful subject. If I was him, I'd be in no rush to bring it up anytime soon. Maybe in another eight years when there's enough distance, and enough other big DC movies out, it can be discussed more openly.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The recent episode of GLTAS was really good

I kind of wish Razer would be brought over to the DCnU

GLTAS has been decent so far but there seems to be a trend already of having to use some plot device to either depower the rings or some reason why they can't use them for each episode so far. haven't been doing much actual ringslinging since the first episode.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »

It has grown on me. Although the latest ep had its ups and downs.
    Saint Walker and Mogo - yay!

Their awesome backstories are messed up - boo!

Razer is a good character too - I kinda wish they'd brought him into the Red Lantern book rather than giving us this human guy who hasn't really done anything yet.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited April 2012
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Tairu wrote: »

It has grown on me. Although the latest ep had its ups and downs.
    Saint Walker and Mogo - yay!

Their awesome backstories are messed up - boo!

Razer is a good character too - I kinda wish they'd brought him into the Red Lantern book rather than giving us this human guy who hasn't really done anything yet.
    So far, and just so far, I think I like Saint Walker more in the show than I do in the books.

And that says a lot, because he's my favorite Lantern that isn't Green or Yellow.

HadjiQuest on
    I agree. I like Saint Walker in the books because he's a nice guy refreshingly free of any kind of negativity or malice.

The series takes that and adds a level of capable kick-assery to it.

H9f4bVe.png
    The only thing I want to say about an otherwise slow GL #8 is that Johns suddenly remembered that the ring can do constructs and has Hal ride around on a futuristic motorcycle while wearing an altered GL/racing uniform. It was approaching Kyle Rayner / Ron Marz levels. Made me realize I really miss the era when Kyle used to create a different construct with the ring basically every panel. More of that, please.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Someone spoil Saint Walker's new origin for me.

edited April 2012
    My fears did come true in GL #8, with little new information being revealed. Get to the secret already!

The Indigo Tribe's homeworld is awesomely creepy, though.
    Someone spoil Saint Walker's new origin for me.

It's not been revealed yet, but his appearance in the cartoon means the one from the comics doesn't fully apply.
    In the books his species was not space-faring, so when their sun was blowing up they couldn't escape. Ganthet and Sayd found him and gave him a blue ring after being banished as Guardians.

In the animated series, Walker shows up on Mogo but not as a blue lantern. So either his species is now a space-faring one, or he's already a blue lantern and hiding it. Which would be weird considering Ganthet and Sayd are still Guardians.

His past hasn't been explored yet, so hopefully it still retains the important elements of his pilgrimage and the deaths of his family.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Found a Saint Walker clip for all, basically spoilerless, just a brief shot of his attitude mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LtpIG6YGI

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there was a classic Silver Age Thanagar ship in the graveyard. Like the one Katar and Shayera used to have in orbit.

edited April 2012
    I think they go to Thanagar in the next episode, actually. Or was it last week's episode? My memory is clumsy. I saw a clip where they fight Thanagarians.

Tairu on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The planet they are on in that clip is
    Mogo

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Green Lantern Corps #8 started a new arc and was leaps and bounds better than the first seven issues. It almost felt like the old Tomasi on the old Corps series. There were only a couple of the illogical or nonsensical plot points or dialogue that has recently crept into his work, but they were minor.
    GLC #8 also confirmed some more of the GL history we know as being part of the new 52, although some of it is weird. A flashback depicts Sinestro attacking Kyle (in his period-appropriate dog collar costume) and Green Arrow (in his old universe look, oddly enough) during Rebirth (although a word balloon conveniently covered most of Ollie's face), Guy's Red Lantern antics during Blackest Night, and the Anti-Monitor during Sinestro Corps War (no idea how that can still be accurate, but okay).

The only weird thing was the flashback that depicted Kyle and Guy fighting Mongul but without any of the others that were with them and with the addition of John, who wasn't there. It makes me kind of worried that they seem to have gone out of their way to not depict Soranik Natu in the new universe.

That reminds me. Last ep of the animated series was great and gave us a family friendly(?) version of the Red Lantern oath. Which, if you ask me, is even better than the comic version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtyP-q_m4zE

Better Bleez design too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So I bought New Guardians, to see what Arkillo was going to do to Charge his ring
    He finds the Weaponer, who built a single battery / ring that isnt attached to the main yellow battery. Basically a way for Arkillo to still operate without affecting whatever Johns has in store

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I liked New Guardians 8 a lot, still.
    I really dig the Weaponer, and I was glad to see that he didn't just fade into the ether with the reboot. I wonder if he still has the white energy net around somewhere.

Also, it does sound more and more like Kyle's origin has changed. I bet the 0 issue WILL be his new origin.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I just read War of the Green Lanterns. I don't think I'm going to keep reading the post-New52 reboot, but...
    I would if that ending was the last time we ever saw Hal Jordan. Sinestro gets a ring, and Hal loses his? Out-freaking-standing. I've seen the more recent covers, so I know it's not permanent, but that still made me so happy.

Hal doesn't really get his ring back so much as Sinestro makes him a pseudo-ring that he has control over. He is basically Sinestro's whipping boy, getting dragged around the universe.

HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I really dig the Weaponer, and I was glad to see that he didn't just fade into the ether with the reboot. I wonder if he still has the white energy net around somewhere.

Also, it does sound more and more like Kyle's origin has changed. I bet the 0 issue WILL be his new origin.

What from that issue gives you the impression that Kyle's origin has changed?

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Am I the only one that thinks that Guy being the new grand pooba who only answers to the guardians is pretty rad? Kind of wonder how that is going to fit into the whole grand scheme of the guardians replacing the corps.

Yeah, about that. So this is the end of the guardians, right? There's no way to redeem them after the crap they've been plotting. They're gone after this, basically. No one will ever want them around again. I mean, maybe Sayd and Ganthet if they un-brainwash him. But does the Corps even need them at this point?

H9f4bVe.png
    edited April 2012
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Yeah, about that. So this is the end of the guardians, right? There's no way to redeem them after the crap they've been plotting. They're gone after this, basically. No one will ever want them around again. I mean, maybe Sayd and Ganthet if they un-brainwash him. But does the Corps even need them at this point?

They'll be redeemed eventually. Maybe Parallax's cousins were possessing them for a few years. It worked for Hal Jordan. 8-)

Harry Dresden on
    edited April 2012
    Rans wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

What from that issue gives you the impression that Kyle's origin has changed?

Maybe not as much changed as expanded. They made some comments that the Guardians don't seem to have any control over his ring or powers, which still work fine even though he has been dismissed from the corps. I think this series is going to start heading more and more in a direction where Kyle is incredibly special because he was the torchbearer, and I think it's pretty likely that it will take us back there from time to time and explain why and when some of these things happened.

HadjiQuest on
    Yeah, or new insight on why he was chosen in the first place, like maybe he became a GL and a host for Ion because he was special.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited May 2012
    Green Lantern #9 Preview
    Love that Hal has to use constructs to travel right now :)

edit: Just noticed Manhke's army of inkers are back.

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited May 2012
    Green Lantern #9 Preview
    Love that Hal has to use constructs to travel right now :)

Awww man, Johns
    killed off Starstorm already?

Tairu on
    In defiance of Lyssa Drak's prophecy. Phooey!

Looking forwards to next ish so hard. Finally. Finally get to learn the fucking Indigo Tribe's deal already!

H9f4bVe.png
    Nirvana!

Ish #9 spoilers:
    dRoTT.jpg
    ErrlM.jpg
    n6YBg.jpg

And then:
    The Indigo Central Power Battery is destroyed, causing all the indigo rings to de-activate, turning every member of the tribe back into their original evil selves.

Including Black Hand.

H9f4bVe.png
    Man,
    I hope the Indigos reform or something, also I don't hope this "trend" of Johns killing Lantern Corps doest continue.

edited May 2012
    Man,
    I hope the Indigos reform or something, also I don't hope this "trend" of Johns killing Lantern Corps doest continue.

Johns is just taking everyone's criticisms and working with them
    Hal Jordan is a boring silver age throwback with no personality? Now he's a douche. Nobody likes Aquaman? Well now thats integral to the plot. Too many stories revolving around the colored corps? Well, they have to go now don't they.

Tairu on