As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Boyd's writing this season has been a little iffy. I find it hard to buy that someone that pulled off that epic election heist left a crippled guy alone to guard a squirrely guy afraid for his life and a big dude that was just plotting to put you in prison.

Everything else was stellar.

The second dude is either going to stay and help him get the money (by telling him what safety deposit box it's in) or he's not; there's no need to keep him at gunpoint. And Johnny is generally capable of standing (well, sitting) guard.

What? He already knew at that point he was trying to set him up. The only thing keeping Ellis there was the thought of violence. Neither Dickie nor him have any reason to stay at that point in the story other than fear for their lives.

Corpekata on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Best part of this episode was Raylen
    talking Dickie into pulling on him in order to shoot him. Justified.

As for the ending, I don't think Quarles
    was the one that shot Tom. Tom had him dead to rights, no way does get the shot off without Tom plugging him. I think Boyd shot Tom and took Quarles to see the mobster's son and earn himself a quick 200k.
    I thought I saw Boyd's unconscious body still on the ground by the railing -- they made a point of him going into that sucker headfirst when the bomb went off. Also, spur-of-the-moment cop killing is pretty far outside of Boyd's MO. I think either Quarles killed Tom (which I agree is stupid because Tom did have him wrapped up), or Duffy did, because getting Quarles arrested isn't one of the two options the Detroit guy gave him.

fshavlak on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    fshavlak wrote: »

was the one that shot Tom. Tom had him dead to rights, no way does get the shot off without Tom plugging him. I think Boyd shot Tom and took Quarles to see the mobster's son and earn himself a quick 200k.
    I thought I saw Boyd's unconscious body still on the ground by the railing -- they made a point of him going into that sucker headfirst when the bomb went off. Also, spur-of-the-moment cop killing is pretty far outside of Boyd's MO. I think either Quarles killed Tom (which I agree is stupid because Tom did have him wrapped up), or Duffy did, because getting Quarles arrested isn't one of the two options the Detroit guy gave him.
    I dunno. Quarles is at his nadir, not his peak when that happened. IIRC he was still high, as well. All bets are off with that being Quarles present state of mind. The sheriff was putting the gun on him and from Quarles expression it seemed like he thought it was time for an ol' fashioned duel.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if we're going to see Quarles' family in the finale. Earlier on we were getting several references to his wife and son, and I suspected they might eventually get to see what he was really like; I'm kinda still holding out on that happening.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    fshavlak wrote: »

I dunno. Quarles is at his nadir, not his peak when that happened. IIRC he was still high, as well. All bets are off with that being Quarles present state of mind. The sheriff was putting the gun on him and from Quarles expression it seemed like he thought it was time for an ol' fashioned duel.

I want a .gif of that camera zoom in on him in that scene.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Finale's been done for over an hour, and on page 3? A travesty!

It didn't hit the high that the S1 and S2 finishers hit, personally, but it was still fantastic.

Disarmed. Heh.

Raynaga wrote: »
    Finale's been done for over an hour, and on page 3? A travesty!

It didn't hit the high that the S1 and S2 finishers hit, personally, but it was still fantastic.

Disarmed. Heh.

Some great moments. The Duffy scene was amazing.

Also
    At the station, they're saying I disarmed him.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    That and piggy bank made the episode.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Quarles reaching for his arm and Raylan holding it back was hilarious.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So hopefully Season 4 is Limehouse. This season hasn't been as good as last season (maybe because it was one long thread instead of the stand-alone episodes like first two seasons), but definitely a good season.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    A man in a hat...

Oh D:

Didn't exactly end with a bang, but that was a hell of a thing.

One thing that did not jive:
    What the hell was Erol doing there? I was hoping Limehouse had spiked the tongues with botulism or something so Erol would expire mysteriously a day or two after he left town. Even if Limehouse really meant to let him walk, his showing up again didn't make any sense to me.

Are we meant to assume he was going to rob the piggy bank himself or did I miss something?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Hell of an episode.

Raylan went completely off the deep end this time.
    The roulette with Duffy was amazing, but to think that he'd willingly do that is insane. Then later, planting Gary's murder weapon back on Quarles.

What the hell was going on with Erol? At first I thought that Limehouse had had him shoot Tom to get Quarles implicated and removed. But since Arlo was the one that shot Tom, why did Limehouse want to get rid of Erol? For flaking out and leading Dickie Bennett to Loretta's stash?

The entire Arlo thing was insane (no pun intended). Arlo's apology to Raylan was the weirdest bit, but the last few minutes are particularly raw. I wonder if it was brought on by realising he'd - while off his meds - tried to kill his son, and being remorseful, or if he was really just fucking with Raylan.

All the Quarles stuff was good. I don't quite understand why he let the woman go though. Originally I thought it was to divert the majority of the forces so he could get Raylan, and that's still a possibility, but then he was still going to go through with getting Theo his money afterwards.

And then we have Erol coming back specifically to shoot Quarles. I don't get that at all. Did he think doing so would pay Limehouse back and let him stay? Or was he just looking out for Limehouse? Hard to say.

As a general thing, I feel it could've used a little more focus on a secondary character (that isn't Boyd). The S2 finale was particularly good because of Loretta's part in it, whereas there were a lot of threads to be tied off in this episode, and it needed a lot more focus. Some shows can suddenly tie them all off in a neat knot, but I didn't think Justified quite managed it this time, though to be fair, a couple need to be lefting hanging for S4.

Still fantastic TV.

edited April 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Hell of an episode.

Raylan went completely off the deep end this time.
    The roulette with Duffy was amazing, but to think that he'd willingly do that is insane. Then later, planting Gary's murder weapon back on Quarles.

What the hell was going on with Erol? At first I thought that Limehouse had had him shoot Tom to get Quarles implicated and removed. But since Arlo was the one that shot Tom, why did Limehouse want to get rid of Erol? For flaking out and leading Dickie Bennett to Loretta's stash?
    Erol tried to instigate a war between Boyd and Quarrles. Remember he hired Quarrles' man to hit Boyd's pill operation way back? Erol said he wanted to take over their operations (or something) and Limehouse told him 'that's not what we do here' and that he better clean that shit up or else.

Well now that it's cleaned up, Limehouse decided Erol just wasn't a 'good fit' for Noble's holler anymore.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Easily the best season for me, and Quarles was the best villian yet.

edited April 2012
    Justified has some of the best villains in general, but he really stood out.

And not just because of his big stupid baby head.

[e]This may have something to do with the fact that I watch Burn Notice, a show where Wynn Duffy plays the supreme evil behind all the world's ills, and then I tune in to Justified to see Quarrles making him his bitch.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    OMG! Piggy Bank!

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I liked season 2 better as a whole, but season 3 was also great.

On Errol
    Back in episode 2 after Errol manipulates the Quarles/Boyd war, Limehouse told Errol that he wanted to banish Errol for that, but that he was going to keep Errol around in case it ends in a bloodbath so that Errol can see what he has wrought. Now that there is no danger of a bloodbath Limehouse followed through and banished Errol.

Also Errol definitely came back to save Limehouse. When Raylan drives into the holler at gunpoint Errol is driving by on his way out and he notices Raylan and gets suspicious. I think it shows the strength of Limehouse that Errol was so loyal that even after being banished he came back to save Limehouse.

For most of the season I haven't liked Limehouse all that much. He just seemed like such a pale imitation of Mags, but these last 2 episodes have done wonders in setting Limehouse up as a wonderful villian going forward.

It strikes me that this season has had a lot about family in it.

Ava, Arlo and Boyd becoming 'family'
    Arlo dealing with the loss of Helen, and possibly regret for how he dealt with Raylan
    Raylan dealing with becoming a father and his relationship with Winona
    The curious relationship of Quarles, Theo and Sammy
    Quarles' relationship with his father, and in turn with his family
    Loretta's new family in a minor way
    The relationship between Limehouse and the Givens family

Kinda wonder if it was intentional or not.

edited April 2012
    I'm looking forward to Season 4 but I can't imagine the writers thinking up an antagonist more compelling than Quarles. Without a doubt one of the best bad guys in TV history. He was a bond villian with a trademark move while at the same time fitting into the gritty world of the show and being real. There was always a sense of mystery about him, even when we found out some tidbits about his past. That's what I really liked. The most important stuff, like the relationship he had with Theo and the reasons for his split personality, are pretty much left up to our imagination.

Heisenberg on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'll be interested to see where they go next season, because
    Raylan's russian roulette was pretty fucked up. I mean, I knew watching he wasn't going to kill Duffy there, but the fact that he was willing to do it to get the info he wanted was far even for him. Then when he found out that Arlo would've killed him to protect Boyd, that's pretty heavy.

I imagine next season will have a lot of him dealing with those things, looking inward a lot more than he has so far.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    That was good. I was satisfied with the vast majority of the season and of the finale.
    On Errol
    Back in episode 2 after Errol manipulates the Quarles/Boyd war, Limehouse told Errol that he wanted to banish Errol for that, but that he was going to keep Errol around in case it ends in a bloodbath so that Errol can see what he has wrought. Now that there is no danger of a bloodbath Limehouse followed through and banished Errol.

Also Errol definitely came back to save Limehouse. When Raylan drives into the holler at gunpoint Errol is driving by on his way out and he notices Raylan and gets suspicious. I think it shows the strength of Limehouse that Errol was so loyal that even after being banished he came back to save Limehouse.

Pretty much this. For a TV show conversation, Limehouse not referencing the previous statements from several episodes back made things a little tricky to recall. For a natural back-and-forth between two people who already know all this, it makes sense he wouldn't even have to mention it.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whereas I hope next season barely mentions them:
    His Russian roulette could have been more or less faked. He could have palmed the bullet, been looking down the side into the cylinder and seen where the round was and known it was safe to fire. Or he just didn't give a shit he was pointing it at a guy who deserved to die anyway and could justify it later. But I'd lean more towards it being more scary than dangerous for Duffy.

And Arlo shooting him is way too late for Raylan to give a shit. Maybe it will be another drop in the bucket, though, that overflows eventually. But I'd prefer Raylan not descend into a deep depression, even if it would totally be earned, since that's just no fun to watch.

Xeddicus on
    edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Whereas I hope next season barely mentions them:
    His Russian roulette could have been more or less faked. He could have palmed the bullet, been looking down the side into the cylinder and seen where the round was and known it was safe to fire. Or he just didn't give a shit he was pointing it at a guy who deserved to die anyway and could justify it later. But I'd lean more towards it being more scary than dangerous for Duffy.

And Arlo shooting him is way too late for Raylan to give a shit. Maybe it will be another drop in the bucket, though, that overflows eventually. But I'd prefer Raylan not descend into a deep depression, even if it would totally be earned, since that's just no fun to watch.
    RE: roulette

He mentions that he was playing the same game as the pawnshop owner, and the pawnshop owner didn't really put a bullet in the gun. I don't think Raylen is stupid/dilluted enough to consider shooting Duffy with Duffy's own gun.

"I took his gun, then he took mine, so I shot him with his" isn't a very convincing story given their on-record history.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was probably a bluff, but even if it wasn't "He grabbed for it, we tangled, I fell back a few steps, told him to freeze, but he lunged again so I shot him." or some variation thereof would fly well enough if it came down to it. Well, in TV land, anyway.

I think the key point is that Duffy's previous contacts with Raylan this season ('next one's comin' faster' / looking completely ready to gunfight Quarles before the bartender pulled the shotgun) put him in a position to fully believe that this guy would do it. If there was any doubt at all, the first pull of the trigger cleared that up.

Jere Burns did some wonderful stuff this year.

Regarding the piggy bank:
    It seems like you'd have to move the money to a fresh pig/pigs pretty frequently, and anyone working back there would have to know not to fuck with the carcasses. It seems like too many people would have to be in the loop for that to be a really good hiding spot.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    But why the fuck do you leave your man outside guarding him, rather than inside guarding him?

[e]This may have something to do with the fact that I watch Burn Notice, a show where Wynn Duffy plays the supreme evil behind all the world's ills, and then I tune in to Justified to see Quarrles making him his bitch.

Man, I loved the way Duffy said that.

Actually, Duffy was basically perfect in this finale.

And I don't know why, but I loved this finale better than everybody else seemed to. Like, I think it was easily as good as S1 or S2. I still feel like the show keeps going up.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    But why the fuck do you leave your man outside guarding him, rather than inside guarding him?

Man, I loved the way Duffy said that.

Actually, Duffy was basically perfect in this finale.

And I don't know why, but I loved this finale better than everybody else seemed to. Like, I think it was easily as good as S1 or S2. I still feel like the show keeps going up.

Count me in on season 3 being the best season so far. Mags was great in season 2, but the plot was tighter this time around with the 3 way tug o war. It was tense, funny is a dry, dark way that was very satisfying, and it wrapped up beautifully.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pretty solid wrap up.
    I think they edited Errol's final bit of help a little light, which made his semi-redemption kind of muted (but then, his exile was a last minute callback as well - I think most people probably didn't even know why he was being sent out). Quarrels felt too easily dealt with, but when you build a character that big, it's hard to eradicate them to most fans' pleasure. I want to love Limehouse, but goddamn did they lean on the 'I'm gonna tell a story from way back when that is part metaphor and part allegory and generally means I'm threatening you' mechanic HARD. I think this season was definitely an improvement (as mentioned above). I think everyone just outright loved the Mags character, so it's easy to see why some people are balking at crowning s3 as the best so far.

I know it's probably never going to happen and may even be antithetical to how they've built the show so far, but I'd love to see an arc of episodes with Raylan going back to Miami for a bit. This team is doing Leonard just so much justice, I'd love to see some of his other locales and stories.

Straygatsby on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    It won't happen, but yeah I agree.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Season 4 starts tomorrow, January 8th at 10 pm on FX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Gdk7cyHbM

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Excited for the new season, supposedly it deals with a previous mystery and hill people. Shouldn't be too much of his ex wife for the eye candy sadly she's on the new kevin bacon show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    Whatever. We get Patton Oswalt this year for eye candy, I guess.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Constable Bob I believe is his name, can't wait.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm kinda okay with Winona being out of the picture for the time being. Makes sense from a logical standpoint, since being around him is no place for a pregnant woman with a career. Plus, they were really having a hard time justifying(!) her role on the show by the end of the season last year. I'm sure we'll get some cameos checking in on her from time to time, but it's probably for the best she's on the back burner.

That trailer didn't tell us a whole lot about what the next season is going to be about. Tent revivals, maybe?

Hill people, and they are trying to track down a criminal from before who was supposedly dead but is actually alive. So they'll have flash backs to this prior crime, and then back to the present.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hill people, and they are trying to track down a criminal from before who was supposedly dead but is actually alive. So they'll have flash backs to this prior crime, and then back to the present.

I like the idea of Raylan just finally giving no fucks about anything. He's been a superlative officer and is responsible for the collaring of several major organize crime schemes, as well as basic investigative work on smaller crimes, and has put some bad people behind bars or in the dirt.

Him having a full-on battle with internal affairs should be awesome.

Also, bring back Karen Sisco! This should be a buddy-cop show with Raylan and Karen busting up the Dixie Mafia and the Miami Cartel.

You can't bust up the Dixie Mafia if it means no more Wynn Duffy.

I guess we get some more Wynn this season but they've said probably no Dickie Bennet or Dewey Crowe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Of that list of three, they picked the right one to give us more of.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.