As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Damn.

Those snipers in Anor Londo get me every time.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I must be the only person in the world who hasn't had any trouble with them. Rush them, and they practically leap off the ledge for you. A certain pair of area bosses, on the other hand...

Not that it matters, since I've got myself stuck in Ariamis. and keep making stupid moves like letting crow demons jump on my face.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    God dammit, I just fell to the bottom of Sen's fortress and died with 20,000 souls.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    reading this thread instead of playing because I managed to die to the forest covenant npcs while running back after not taking the mushroom men seriously enough. cya 6 humanity/80k souls!

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just completed the Painted World. Was really let down by the final boss.
    I was terrified when she went invisible, and she took a few swings at me, but I took them on my shield (+4 Knight's Shield) and took zero damage. Once I saw her footprints I poked her a few times with my lightning spear and she became visible, I circled and kept poking, and she died. Zero fucking damage to me.

I feel cheated.

Those crow demons, on the other hand, were nightmarish. They just should've made you fight four at once for the finale.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    the optional bosses are pretty bitchmade in general, gwyndolin has a great setting/feel and mechanics but it's still really easy; same goes for invisible dragon woman who walks at a snail's pace.

not to be picky since it sounds like your first playthrough, but upgraded lightning spear makes everything easy, however.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    The real boss of the painted world is the circle well you can climb down that has a million skeleton wheels at the bottom.

Fuck that thing.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    The real boss of the painted world is the circle well you can climb down that has a million skeleton wheels at the bottom.

Fuck that thing.

I honestly never had any trouble with those things. A good shield and high endurance makes them minor nuisances at best.

Etiowsa wrote: »

Fuck that thing.

I honestly never had any trouble with those things. A good shield and high endurance makes them minor nuisances at best.

Yeah, found them simple as well. Maybe I just have a high END, but I could take their whole impact on my shield.

I didn't realise the spear was mega-easy mode, though. I've been playing the game blind - I don't even know how to make a weapon magical, or where these stat points should go for the most power. Currently a lvl 57 Pyro/lightning spear guy in Anor Londo, stats are: VIT 18, ATT 12, END 27, STR 35, DEX 16, RES 12, INT 12, FTH 6. Should I stop pumping STR?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    killing priscilla always makes me feel a little bad

she doesn't even attack you first

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    lightning weapons and pyromancy don't scale at all with stats, just how much you upgrade them

you want more health, more endurance, and more attunement so you can hold more spells

• Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    reading this thread instead of playing because I managed to die to the forest covenant npcs while running back after not taking the mushroom men seriously enough. cya 6 humanity/80k souls!

Hahah yeah, as much as I love the mushroom men, it's rarely worth fighting them. Loot the ember and run for your life is generally the best strategy.

Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    killing priscilla always makes me feel a little bad

she doesn't even attack you first

It's her world, her crow-bitch things that try to eat your face, her bloated zombie things that try to set you on fire, and her wheel skeletons that try to mulch you.
    ust

P.s. For those concerned about losing souls, don't sweat it. Souls don't matter. I once dumped 30 humanity and 300,000 souls into Bed of Chaos because I couldn't think of anything to spend them on and I just wanted to move on in the game.

Sokpuppet on
    Just got past the snipers in Anor and found the bonfire.

Fuck being human, though. I only ever go human in order to Kindle and I always get invaded within 10 seconds by some dickwad with a sword so long it has to be measured in AU. In Painted World I got invaded as I walked up the first set of stairs after the bonfire, and insta-killed. Just then in Anor I got invaded literally as I stepped away from the 2nd bonfire. Walked outside and was instantly set upon by an invader and a silver knight. That ain't cool.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    holy shit why are there giant cats back here trying to kill me?! I told the other cat I'd work with him damn it!

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Where do I level up in Demon's Souls? I'm back at the Nexus but can't find where I should go. Am I supposed to finish 1-1 before I can do that?

also, I find it hilarious that I was so excited to get 1200 souls and then I come into this thread and read about people losing 20,000 souls like its nothing.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    In the Nexus, there is a witch. Talk to her.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    I've been all over the nexus though. Is she on the bottom floor?

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Maiden in Black appears in some various spots in the Nexus bottom floor, yes. However you can't level until you beat 1-1's boss, Phalanx.

Edit: The real Demon's Souls starts here. Rating: +/-

Dranyth on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Make sure you've spoken to the monumental (the young child with the lamp in front of him at the top of the stairs) first, and then you can return to her and she will let you level up. She is the lady with the wax on her eyes.

Dammit. I had an inkling it might be that.

edited April 2012
    Hey.

Hey you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSqBfPQIEk

So grossly incandescent.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Double dipping so hard on this. 1080p @ 60fps and AA oh my god.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    No idea what the fuck that hand was, but definitely very cool trailer.

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
    dat trailer...

anyone think they'll ever release the PC content as DLC for consoles? this game is awesome and I'm willing to shell out for it again, but I'm not what you'd call a dedicated PC gamer and D3 + civ 5 expansion are coming down the pipe as well so I'd be interested in saving the cash.

• Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    busfahrer wrote: »

True Dark Souls experience always involves something shitty to counteract all the good stuff. Crystal Caverns, Tomb of the Giants, Games for Windows Live, etc.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    those evil bastards. Fine, I'll jump through that hoop

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I got instant-killed by something in the depths.

I think it was one of the lizards with the googly eyes. I was at 100% health and then suddenly I was dead and cursed. It looked like I turned to stone or something.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    GFWL is a shitty pill, but it becomes easier to swallow when you realize that they're probably doing bare minimum work to transplant the Xbox version of the game onto Windows, and it would probably be easier for them to use all the hooks that are already built into the game to play with Microsoft's servers than it would be to develop an entirely new solution. I would imagine it will also make it vastly easier to control cheaters trying to grief.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I think it was one of the lizards with the googly eyes. I was at 100% health and then suddenly I was dead and cursed. It looked like I turned to stone or something.
    The gas they burp pops up a poison-style bar, when it's full you turn to stone. I recommend not standing in them.

edited April 2012

yup, you're cursed (halved life bar, can't use humanity or kindle) until you find the specific item to break it. those lizards are fairly immobile though, now that you know what they do you can just circle them and stick them with pointy objects in relative safety.

Torgairon on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh, it doesn't just outright kill you? The more you know.

nah I'm just being incoherent, I definitely didn't mean to imply that curse doesn't kill you outright if the bar fills. all the effects I described are after the immediate death.

• MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    hey if ye don't want dark souls to be on gfwl go sign this thing http://www.change.org/petitions/namco-bandai-and-from-software-release-dark-souls-pc-edition-without-games-for-windows-live

either way i am excited for the pc port because i would really like to play this game. my laptop prooobably won't be able to stomach it but odds are more in favor of me getting a decent PC in the future than getting an xbox 360

ducklett.gif
    edited April 2012
    Yeeeeeah GFWL isn't the best choice ever, but it's not like you'll be inviting people to your game so as long as it just logs me in (which is has done recently with no troubles) it can sit in the background and net me a few more achievement points.

Still rather have Steam.

mere_immortal on
    Yeeeeeah GFWL isn't the best choice ever, but it's not like you'll be inviting people to your game so as long as it just logs me in (which is has done recently with no troubles) it can sit in the background and net me a few more achievement points.

Still rather have Steam.

I've lost my 100% save of Arkham Asylum and another of Red Faction Guerrilla thanks to GFWL. It really is terrifying that they're using it. Fitting, really.

Well that sounds less good.

Speaking realistically though, could they really switch their chosen online service at this point? I imagine it's difficult not just from a technical standpoint but also from a business side too.

• NintenNinten Registered User regular
    GFWL is still alive? I don't hate it, it's just...shocking.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.