As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    No that was entirely a joke website, those are not in any way serious Norn names xP.

I would have you know that the good and honorable name Rockgroin has been passed down for generations!

Echo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Olaf Olafson.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Well, I had fun pre-purchasing. Would buy again.

Now to listen to that Tom Petty song for several weeks.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    I once met a real live person (American, no less) named Hakun Hakunson.

He was pretty metal.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    From Firefall's name generator I give you:

Shooting Butt

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you want a serious Norn name, just look up some Old Norse names and there you go.

47uk6agplx83.png
    Buraisu wrote: »
    If you want a serious Norn name, just look up some Old Norse names and there you go.

There's only two things the Nordic take seriously.

Walking and sweaters.

Hewn wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »

There's only two things the Nordic take seriously.

Walking and sweaters.

And counting.

The THREE Things the Nordic take seriously are walking, sweaters, counting, and a fanatical devotion to the pope.

The FOUR things...

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, looking through the list of conditions, I am pretty unhappy with Fear. I remember how bad it was in WoW and in general I am not a fan of abilities that cause you to lose control of your character (even stuns). Hopefully Fear will be a long CD ability or something to prevent fear kiting.

am0n on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Almost all abilities have long cooldowns really.

And I think most fear durations are 1-2 seconds, not 15+ like in wow.

Also almost every class has at least some way of breaking out of loss of control conditions (or all conditions) on a long cd.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I am already naming my Charr Flint Ironstag.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    My charr will be named according to the lore style.

<name> <warband><modifier>

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    So, looking through the list of conditions, I am pretty unhappy with Fear. I remember how bad it was in WoW and in general I am not a fan of abilities that cause you to lose control of your character (even stuns). Hopefully Fear will be a long CD ability or something to prevent fear kiting.

If you want any real strategy to WvW that isn’t just the larger zerg winning, then you need solid CC spells (preferably some that are AoE). It does suck to be CC’d and not able to do anything for a minute, but it sucks more when your PvP system devolves into a cluster fuck. WvW is very very similar to RvR in DAOC. Mythic fucked up with their warhammer MMO, but they really got the RvR system right in DAOC.

Real CC allows for smaller groups to take on much larger groups with a real chance of success if the skill and coordination is there.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Did you guys receive some sort of email after registering?

DaemonSadi wrote: »

Yes.
    Congratulations on successfully completing the registration process for Guild Wars 2!

The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hewn wrote: »

Yes.
    Congratulations on successfully completing the registration process for Guild Wars 2!

The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link.

Hmm.. I guess I should email support...

Actually I cannot find an email address to contact them... anyone got one?

DemonStacey on

You should have received 2 emails if you purchased online (or just 1 if you bought the CE and registered your copy)

- "Thank you for pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2!" - this is sent the email supplied at purchase, and includes your CD key and a link to the registration site (which, if you bought online, you should have gone straight to anyway).
    - "Thanks for registering!" - this is sent to the email you registered your account for, and includes your user ID "<name>.xxxx"

A further email will be sent with details of how to download a copy of the client... when they've finished the latest updates for the next Beta Weekend.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    YAY! I was able to Pre-Purchase the game!

Can't wait to try out all the classes I'm interested in playing to make my choice for WvWvW

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Witchdr wrote: »

If you want any real strategy to WvW that isn’t just the larger zerg winning, then you need solid CC spells (preferably some that are AoE). It does suck to be CC’d and not able to do anything for a minute, but it sucks more when your PvP system devolves into a cluster fuck. WvW is very very similar to RvR in DAOC. Mythic fucked up with their warhammer MMO, but they really got the RvR system right in DAOC.

Real CC allows for smaller groups to take on much larger groups with a real chance of success if the skill and coordination is there.

I don't disagree that hard CCs are fine as long as the durations aren't too long, or there are diminishing returns in place, but even without them it's absolutely crazy to say the larger zerg will always win. In GW2, judicious use of giving your allies regen, protection, and retaliation and using knockbacks on enemy melee, and applying other non hard CC conditions should have a huge impact. Hell, having one or two guardians with the support tome could easily turn the tide in a smaller force's favor.

There's no place for extremely long hard CCs in pvp, but as was mentioned before, the ones in GW2 don't seem to be all that long anyway. Things like daze, stun, and fear seem to only be like 2 to 4 seconds generally, which is a good place imo.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Did they mention anything about being able to save/load different build loadouts?

steam_sig.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Most effects, negative or positive, tend to be short in GW/GW2. It's just the way the game is paced. You aren't supposed to be able to "buff up" and then forget about it, or throw DoTs/CCs and forget about it. You have to use these tools with proper timing, or end up less effective.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Joshmvii wrote: »

I don't disagree that hard CCs are fine as long as the durations aren't too long, or there are diminishing returns in place, but even without them it's absolutely crazy to say the larger zerg will always win. In GW2, judicious use of giving your allies regen, protection, and retaliation and using knockbacks on enemy melee, and applying other non hard CC conditions should have a huge impact. Hell, having one or two guardians with the support tome could easily turn the tide in a smaller force's favor.

There's no place for extremely long hard CCs in pvp, but as was mentioned before, the ones in GW2 don't seem to be all that long anyway. Things like daze, stun, and fear seem to only be like 2 to 4 seconds generally, which is a good place imo.

First let me say that short duration CCs have a place in combat but honestly should not be the only CC. Short CCs are good for arena fights, interrupts, or giving you that extra second to line up a heal or the next ability to finish someone off. You are also right that no hard CC != zergfest/bigger zerg wins but i do feel it falls higher on the list of importance for making a system where the coordinated will outshine the masses.

I think part of my problem for wanting long CC is that i harken back to a day when there was only X class that could use a longterm CC. But MMO's have shifted to this mentality that everyone should be able to do everything. I don't necessarily disagree with this shift, but it has changed a lot around. For better or worse, attack the healer first isn't an option anymore.

I guess i need to drop the DAOC mentality, I loved that game but there are many mechanics from it that just haven't transfered over to new games. I mean in DAOC if you hit a caster with either melle or magic, they couldn't cast spells (with the exception of a few abilities that let them cast for a breif time) until they were unharmed for around 2-4 seconds. This let realms have classes specifically dedicated to interrupting an enemies casters. Which tied in with trying to get long CC on the interrupter etc.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition is an interesting read for that stuff. Some stuff stacks in intensity, others stack in duration.

I interpret that as a Bleed that stacks in intensity will always last X seconds after the first application, but will hurt more and more for each additional stack you get until it expires, and then it starts over.

DAoC was a great game for its time, but Guild Wars 2 is all about people having fun, and for the person being CCed for a long time, they're not having any fun. GW2 has a much more advanced system with tons of knockbacks and conditions that buff your team and debuff the other, so there's no need for crazy long CCs.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I pre-ordered from Gamestop last week and visited them yesterday for my registration code.

I am confident in my local store, they've done right by me for years the few times I've needed them.

The one part that makes my stomach churn is the confirmation email does not explicitly state that it is a Collector's Edition as @unintentional mentioned...hrm.

REG Rysk wrote: »
    I pre-ordered from Gamestop last week and visited them yesterday for my registration code.

I am confident in my local store, they've done right by me for years the few times I've needed them.

The one part that makes my stomach churn is the confirmation email does not explicitly state that it is a Collector's Edition as @unintentional mentioned...hrm.

it said that i had a digital deluxe edition, and the price, in the first email i got from ANet, which included a link to the code-registering place
    the second email didn't mention it

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

it said that i had a digital deluxe edition, and the price, in the first email i got from ANet, which included a link to the code-registering place

My understanding is that the code gamestop gave us is just for the three day head start, hero's band, etc. Once we pick up the physical CE box, it will have our actual CE code that we put in. CE is different than the other versions in that the code we have is not for the full game technically as others are.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Seems https://twitter.com/#!/_fohl got rewtweeted by the official Guild wars 2 Twitter and is also Brony.

WhmcT.png

It spreads :)

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • florada34florada34 Registered User regular
    I said I would stop looking at the talent calculator, but that happened when I was sleeping >_< I've know made builds and decided I was going to play every class but the Mesmer at this point. I have no idea what the hell I am going to roll now. :(

LoL summoner name: Kamikazi34
    PS4: Kamikazi34Agny
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

Aha, well since I didn't order off the website, I understand there would be a difference. The email from ANet after registration mentioned nothing as to the type of purchase made.

KEEP THE FAITH

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

I have less of a problem with hard CC if it breaks on damage. To be stun/fear locked for 4-6 seconds and be taking damage that whole time tends to lend itself poorly to balance.

True, but the person I was talking to was talking about DAoC long duration CCs, and even if they break on damage, it's just not fun to be potentially CCed for 60+ seconds. From what I've seen, the longer CCs in GW2 are like 4 second stuns with a level 3 adrenaline burst skill from a warrior, whereas most of the other last only 2 seconds or so, and still have decent cooldowns.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's almost no hard CC in GW2.

There's Stun and Knockdown, which are basically the exact same thing and last ~1-2 seconds.
    And there's Fear which causes the enemy to run away from you and lasts ~1-2 seconds.

And ... yeah, that's it. Everything else is some sort of debuff or the like.

shryke wrote: »
    There's almost no hard CC in GW2.

There's Stun and Knockdown, which are basically the exact same thing and last ~1-2 seconds.
    And there's Fear which causes the enemy to run away from you and lasts ~1-2 seconds.

And ... yeah, that's it. Everything else is some sort of debuff or the like.

there's also hard control stuff underwater with pushing and pulling, which sounds neat as heck

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    So, GW 2 has a pre-order site, but it doesn't work properly. How professional.

1208768734831.jpg

in what sense is it not working properly

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What problem are you having?

Works fine for me and most people here.

yes I was talking about a CC that broke on damage ( called Mezmerize) and yes on a non tank it could last over 60 seconds though everyone had access to an ability called purge which would dispell it and you would still be granted the mez immunity.

And I agree that being mezed for 60 seconds wasn't fun, but that was my punshment for not panning my camera and catching that group before it hit me. I'm not one of those hur hur casuals ruin everything i'm harcore hur hur guys, but i do miss some of the consequences from MMOs of the past. All in all though I know MMOs have taken a big step forward and a lot of what i remember fondly is viewed through rose colored glasses.

This discussion has been closed.