As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    I have a free code for today's Avenging Spider-Man. Speak up if you want it.

hellllloooo

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    First impressions with the Kindle Fire comiXology app are pretty good. The viewer isn't as good as the one Amazon uses for purchases off their store but I can still read everything clearly. Kind of annoying that I have to download every comic I've got so far individually instead of them being right there, that's my only complaint.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I've been a bit curious as to where my money goes when using ComiXology's app. I'm going to assume that Apple gets a cut when I make purchases through the iPad app, so I would think it would be best to buy my comics on the website and then download them. Anyone have some insight?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I've been a bit curious as to where my money goes when using ComiXology's app. I'm going to assume that Apple gets a cut when I make purchases through the iPad app, so I would think it would be best to buy my comics on the website and then download them. Anyone have some insight?

Apple definitely gets a cut if you buy on their apps, So buying from the web gives the most. And I think I heard at some point, that if you buy from the publishers store fronts (ie: http://www.comixology.com/DC_Comics , http://comicstore.marvel.com/ ,and https://comics.imagecomics.com/ ), but can't really vouch for that 100%

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular

Apple definitely gets a cut if you buy on their apps, So buying from the web gives the most. And I think I heard at some point, that if you buy from the publishers store fronts (ie: http://www.comixology.com/DC_Comics , http://comicstore.marvel.com/ ,and https://comics.imagecomics.com/ ), but can't really vouch for that 100%

Using the app on iOS also charges tax on purchases in NY, whereas the Android app and purchases made on the comiXology website are tax free.

steam_sig.png
    Marvel has a "Harley Davidson Sponsered" Avengers Comic(staring the Avengers Assemble Avengers) written by Jeff Parker for free here
    http://www.comixology.com/Harley-Davidson-Avengers-1/digital-comic/ICO003037

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I have a digital code for a free copy of AvX #0 in case someone has a hope/wanda/overwrought crossovers fetish.

huntresssig.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    They finally put Daredevil 1-7 up today.

Yes!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    I have a digital code for a free copy of AvX #0 in case someone has a hope/wanda/overwrought crossovers fetish.

Gimme!

I was just wishing for an Iron Man sale last week. On these exact issues, specifically. How nice of comiXology to read my mind!

I know to get Extremis. Anything that I can skip, or am I going to have to spend a ton of money here because it's all worth it?

steam_sig.png
    huh, should entering the code for AvX #0 automatically give me Infinite or does that have its own code?

Infinite is for AvX #1 sorry.

ohhhh.

• alexanderswangalexanderswang Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm new in the comic world. I've bought some digital comic books from comiXology recently, they are really fascinating.

I want to learn more about comics, could you please give me a guide about what the best comic websites are? Thank you in advance.

There is always a way.
    ComicsAlliance is the site I get most of my news and recommendations from, personally.

• alexanderswangalexanderswang Registered User regular
    ComicsAlliance is the site I get most of my news and recommendations from, personally.

It looks great, thank you. I'll keep an eye on it.

It seems CBR is very popular, but I hate it there are too many ad blocks on it. Newsarama looks better but I don't think it's 100% focused on comics.

There is always a way.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There's an Alan Moore Swamp Thing sale going for Earth Day (Earth Day! Buy digital comics on your electronic device! Earth Day!) and while the entire Moore run on Swamp Thing might not be for everyone or, y'know, within financial limits, I personally think everyone should read... #21, I think. "An Anatomy Lesson", the stand-alone origin story of Moore's Swamp Thing.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Everyone should read all of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. It is some of his absolute best writing, in my opinion. If I didn't already own it all in print I would totally jump on this sale.

Comixology has a bunch of Ultimate Comics on sale for today (4/27), if you love what Hickman is doing make sure to pick up Ultimate Thor.

The four series I would get with this (in order of the best to me)
    1. Ultimate Thor
    2. Ultimate Human
    3. Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates
    4. Ultimate Captain America

but skip Ultimate Iron Man I and II as they are non-canon now and ultimately not very good stories.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TopShelf trades are the comixology sale this weekend.

It seems like you'd have to be pretty silly to pass up Essex County for $5.

I also grabbed Infinite Kung-Fu.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    So I've been thinking of getting a Kindle Fire for awhile now, and getting comics on it might push me over the edge. Then I started reading reviews about the Comixology app on amazon and I'm wondering if it's as bad as people are saying it is. Over 100 1-star reviews! Is it really just inconvenience over DC comics that's got comic fans' panties in a collective bunch or is it really a shit app?

I've tried supporting my local comic shop, but between my work hours making for limited trips, and then the store being out of what I wanted, I'm ready to give up and just go online.

Any advice?

It seemed okay on the demo Kindle Fire I tried it on. A little pokey and stuttery, but the entire device was that way. I absolutely could not get it to go into panel-by-panel guided view in JLA #1, though. You'll be doing a lot of pinch zooming without guided view since most text bubbles are pretty much impossible to read in fullscreen view on the KF. Aside from that I thought it was a generally fine experience. Art looks surprisingly quite nice on that screen.

If you're solely looking for a digital comic viewer (which I suspect you aren't), and have the money to spend (I'm guessing you're looking at the KF because of the price, though), I really cannot recommend strongly enough investing in the 3rd gen iPad. Comics on that device, and that screen, are just an absolutely wonderful experience.

steam_sig.png
    El Guaco wrote: »
    So I've been thinking of getting a Kindle Fire for awhile now, and getting comics on it might push me over the edge. Then I started reading reviews about the Comixology app on amazon and I'm wondering if it's as bad as people are saying it is. Over 100 1-star reviews! Is it really just inconvenience over DC comics that's got comic fans' panties in a collective bunch or is it really a shit app?

I've tried supporting my local comic shop, but between my work hours making for limited trips, and then the store being out of what I wanted, I'm ready to give up and just go online.

Any advice?

The 1 star reviews are just that, uninformed people / people that dont know how to use technology and stuff (they'll also give bad reviews for comics being too expensive lol)

Bullio wrote: »
    If you're solely looking for a digital comic viewer (which I suspect you aren't), and have the money to spend (I'm guessing you're looking at the KF because of the price, though), I really cannot recommend strongly enough investing in the 3rd gen iPad. Comics on that device, and that screen, are just an absolutely wonderful experience.

Android tablets are just as good!

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular

Android tablets are just as good!

I haven't seen an Android tablet with a screen that looks nearly as good as the iPad 3.

For people that were waiting for it, the rest of The Dark Angel saga will be on Comixology tomorrow.

The 1 star reviews are just that, uninformed people / people that dont know how to use technology and stuff (they'll also give bad reviews for comics being too expensive lol)

This is why I asked the question. Most of the the bad reviews had more to do with the availability of DC comics directly in the Comixology app on the Fire rather than the quality of the app itself.

Yeah, I'm not about to spend $500 on an iPad. I've already got a Kindle reader and an Amazon Prime account, so the Kindle Fire is a more palatable upgrade.

El Guaco wrote: »

This is why I asked the question. Most of the the bad reviews had more to do with the availability of DC comics directly in the Comixology app on the Fire rather than the quality of the app itself.

Yeah, I'm not about to spend $500 on an iPad. I've already got a Kindle reader and an Amazon Prime account, so the Kindle Fire is a more palatable upgrade.

You can probably find one of the last years Androids tablets for 300ish now (like this guy http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clearance-Motorola-XOOM-32GB-Dual-Core-Tablet-Android-OS-3-1-Honeycomb-Bundle-/280869290612?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item41651d4274&clk_rvr_id=338083651157 )

(10.1" screens make a full page easy to read)

Honeycomb is such a miserable tablet experience, though. :( The KF is probably better optimized than Honeycomb is at this point, but I haven't used a KF with the latest software update so I couldn't say for sure.

Could also root the KF and change the launcher, but that's getting way off-topic.

I don't know what exactly the deal is with DC on the ComiXology app, but buying them on the ComiXology website is a rather trivial process if they can't be bought via the app itself.

steam_sig.png
    Honeycomb is such a miserable tablet experience, though. :( The KF is probably better optimized than Honeycomb is at this point, but I haven't used a KF with the latest software update so I couldn't say for sure.

Could also root the KF and change the launcher, but that's getting way off-topic.

I don't know what exactly the deal is with DC on the ComiXology app, but buying them on the ComiXology website is a rather trivial process if they can't be bought via the app itself.

The Xoom can be updated to 4.0.

Yeah, it seems that taking the extra step to download new purchases through the web site and then to the KF for DC purchases is what is pissing people off. The reason for this debacle is that B&N threw a fit and pulled DC comics off their shelves when DC went exclusive on Comixology/Kindle and left the Nook swinging in the breeze. Lawyers got involved and now neither the KF or Nook have direct access. When will publishers learn that exclusive merchandising rights are just bad for everyone? It stifles innovation and punishes the consumer. (Hint: never)

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Looks like all of the New 52 #1's a down to $1 on comixology. I'm willing to call that an excuse to check out a couple things I was putting off.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    comiXology is down for me

I want to buy your stuuuff

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited May 2012
    Looks like all of the New 52 #1's a down to $1 on comixology. I'm willing to call that an excuse to check out a couple things I was putting off.

General question to everyone: which of these are worth picking up? I don't do DC aside from Batman, and I'm already following Batman and Batman and Robin.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Flash
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man

Teen Titans reminds me of a 90's book, so take that as you will.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Action Comics. Though I admit I'm trying not to buy new stuff and I'm looking for collected stories lately.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Frankenstein!

Action Comics, Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein, OMAC

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

General question to everyone: which of these are worth picking up? I don't do DC aside from Batman, and I'm already following Batman and Batman and Robin.

I was just about to ask this. Haha. I have Batman & Robin and Detective Comics on iOS and I get physical of Batman.

I was debating one of the Superman series, but I don't know if I can get into him.

Is Wonder Woman any good? I really like the cover art on the issues I have seen.

Probably going to try Wonder Woman, Flash, The Dark Knight (maybe), one of the Superman series, and possibly Swamp Thing.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Get Action Comics!