As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Side note, If I hosted Spooktackular, could Penumbra join if he doesn't own it? Probably covered in the thread somewhere but I can't remember due to lack of sleep.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I think you can. I was able to join warping core challenge maps, but when i tried to do it in my own private game it brought up the purchase screen.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    I think you can. I was able to join warping core challenge maps, but when i tried to do it in my own private game it brought up the purchase screen.
    Just a side note. You cannot join maps for the eternia shard pack if you do not own them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Having finally gotten the time to sit down and get organized (and some sleep) I want to extend my thanks to Trendy Entertainment and especially @Hitmonchan107 for a great Friday afternoon. That was a PAX East highlight for me. The after food discussion was more enlightening than any panel I attended and the food was fantastic.

The frame on my art unfortunately did not survive the 13 hour car trip home but I'm going to get that reframed to get it on my wall.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Having finally gotten the time to sit down and get organized (and some sleep) I want to extend my thanks to Trendy Entertainment and especially @Hitmonchan107 for a great Friday afternoon. That was a PAX East highlight for me. The after food discussion was more enlightening than any panel I attended and the food was fantastic.

The frame on my art unfortunately did not survive the 13 hour car trip home but I'm going to get that reframed to get it on my wall.

I was amazed my frame held up through the flights home. I went so far as to wrap clothes around it in an effort to help absorb bumps, but even still, it came out of the bag at home with some gouges on the frame. But it adds character!

And I totally agree with you about the Trendy get together being the high point of my PAX East experience!

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • HollowYggdrasilHollowYggdrasil Registered User regular
    So, I've purchased the game and ran a few matches. Is there a site with build specs that I should be aware of, because I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. Really wrong.

Also, hit me up on Steam if you want to play. I'm on the PA group and my handle is the same name.

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So, I've purchased the game and ran a few matches. Is there a site with build specs that I should be aware of, because I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. Really wrong.

Also, hit me up on Steam if you want to play. I'm on the PA group and my handle is the same name.

Eh, there aren't really any build specs exactly. You kinda choose if you want to focus on a tower focused build or a hero focused build. If you're playing alone and/or starting new, pick the squire or apprentice and go tower focused. Personally I distribute points pretty evenly, but if in doubt focus on tower health/damage.

Respeccing is a relatively trivial cost, so don't fret too much if you feel like you screwed up.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tips for brand new players:
    1) Don't worry about messing up your stat points. Respecs cost 100k, which seems like a lot now, but it's a drop in the bucket later when you actually want to use it, and the costs do not escalate.
    2) You will get wrecked at the end of the second stage. Everyone does. Once you play to the end of that stage, think about how to deal with the end and adjust your strategy accordingly. If you fail a few times, you can go back to The Deeper Well and run that a few times to get some levels. Alternatively, you can play multiplayer with other people to get past that "hump".
    3) Upgrade your weapons: If you go to the Tavernkeeper or the Defender's Forge, there is an option called Hero Info. Clicking on that will show your normal inventory/stat screen. Clicking on an item will allow you to invest mana into the item. Spend some of your early cash upgrading your weapon's base damage. It may seem like a waste now, especially since you are finding new and exciting gear, but the first few upgrade levels are very cheap. It's more important to progress through the stages than it is to hoard mana, since most of your mana generation will come from doing later levels and challenges.
    4) As the game states in the character creation screen, the Apprentice and Squire are the two easiest classes to use when soloing the game. I'd distribute 50% of your stat points into Tower Attack and the rest in other areas (mostly tower ROF for Apps and tower health for Squire).
    5) Play on Ranked. Most of us at PA are playing only Ranked. You can export your Ranked save to Open at any time with a push of a button, so playing on Ranked gives you access to both online communities with your characters.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    3) Upgrade your weapons: If you go to the Tavernkeeper or the Defender's Forge, there is an option called Hero Info. Clicking on that will show your normal inventory/stat screen. Clicking on an item will allow you to invest mana into the item. Spend some of your early cash upgrading your weapon's base damage. It may seem like a waste now, especially since you are finding new and exciting gear, but the first few upgrade levels are very cheap. It's more important to progress through the stages than it is to hoard mana, since most of your mana generation will come from doing later levels and challenges.

I wish I knew this from the start. I've got a good weapon now by chance, but this is really useful info.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012

I wish I knew this from the start. I've got a good weapon now by chance, but this is really useful info.

Just keep in mind, you'll get an upgrade soon enough just playing and better weapons around level 60. So, don't dump all your money into it. Just put some in to give you a leg up. But you know, take this advice with a grain of salt. Some of the weapons you'll get that are level 60+ will have 70+ upgrades in them.

EDIT: Also sent a friends request. I'm a PSTer too. Dungeons shall be defended.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    EDIT: Also sent a friends request. I'm a PSTer too. Dungeons shall be defended.

Indeed. Deviously defending dilapidated dungeons with diabolical devices.

steam_sig.png
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    I've just re-cracked this game open, and now have managed to get ONE BILLION mannas from selling a few easter eggs, now I feel like I've broken the game a bit, but I'm really enjoying playing apprentice still :) , feel free to add me on steam for some pewpewing.

Steam : Nalouto

:winky:
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Guess who can run NM Misty Mire Survival now.

Hahns and I can. :D

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I hate spiders. I hate spiders more than I hate DEWs, and I really hate DEWs.

Goddamnit.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited April 2012
    The Fonz (Skutskut) and I just beat NM HC Mistymire Campaign for the first time, as a duo. Getting to the Spider Queen wasn't overly difficult, but it's such a long boss fight. Ugh.

I initially used this build:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=1516,mistymire-solo-campaign-nm-hc-723c-post-squire-tower-nerf

The main problem I found was that the EV Physical Beam walls were too fragile against Ogres, compared to reversed Spike Blockades. This is probably due to the fact that I didn't have my Series EV out and about. Thus, I went with something like this instead:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=1726,nm-hc-mistymire-campaign-patch-726c

I fully endorse my Weighted Companion Cube, which at 130ish upgrades was dealing 80k damage per hit on NM mode.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I hate spiders. I hate spiders more than I hate DEWs, and I really hate DEWs.

Goddamnit.
    Spiders are nothing compared to Djinn. Spiders can be dealt with using normal towers (hell, you can even memorize the Spider spawn locations and just dump a Bouncer or a Prox trap underneath/near them). ddplanner.com even has all the Spider spawn points marked on the map, so you can plan your Spider traps.

Djinn EAT your towers (and auras and traps), causing whole sections of your build to fall apart. They also can buff DEWs to the point of one-shot-kills. Oh, and they fly, so good luck with those melee weapons. They also have a quarter to a third of the Health of similarly leveled Ogres.

I long for the days when you ONLY had to deal with Spiders in Nightmare.

One of the common topics in Chat when we play is predicting the next evil enemy that will show up in NM mode with the next Shards. Our brainstorming includes a worm that eats your towers whole (keeping the DU in the process, effectively preventing you from summoning a replacement), an enemy that makes every monster around it invisible/invincible, flying kobolds, flying Ogres, Mages that are invulnerable until you kill every other monster on the map, monsters that summon Ethereal Spike traps that you cannot see, etc.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Oooh! OOh! I know! Since the next one is supposed to be on the water or something, it will be sirens that either take full control of your character away from you, as you watch in horror as your character begins systematically destroying your own towers, or it'll reverse your controls!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I just recently started playing again, so I haven't encountered Djinn yet. They sound shitty, tbh. I remember when DEWs were at their prime and mixed mode turned into a complete shitfest because of it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    One day I hope to be as good at this game as Heenato, Hahns, TNT, and The Fonz.

Are eggs still selling for stupid amounts of mana? I don't need the squire costume because I have a countess, but mana is something there is never enough of.

They are.

Penumbra wrote: »
    One day I hope to be as good at this game as Heenato, Hahns, TNT, and The Fonz.

Are eggs still selling for stupid amounts of mana? I don't need the squire costume because I have a countess, but mana is something there is never enough of.
    You kidding me? I'm awful at the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    what is this reverse spike wall against ogres that you speak of?

attempted to solo some with my female apprentice last night.
    did not go very well.

camo_sig.png
    Someone else could probably explain it better, and I've only encountered it once or twice myself, but if you have the BACK of the trap facing out towards ogres, I.E the spikes are pointing away from them, they get very confused and don't really attack them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Hitmonchan107Hitmonchan107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I was amazed my frame held up through the flights home. I went so far as to wrap clothes around it in an effort to help absorb bumps, but even still, it came out of the bag at home with some gouges on the frame. But it adds character!

And I totally agree with you about the Trendy get together being the high point of my PAX East experience!

I had two frames shatter in my suitcase. I'm still picking out the glass shards. hehe

(New DLC idea: Quest for the Lost Glass Shards!)

Hitmonchan107 on
    iamisom, Community Manager for Dungeon Defenders
    Twitter: @iamisom
    Currently Playing: Dungeon Defenders II (PC), Warframe (XO), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii U)
    edited April 2012
    You reverse the Barricade so it doesn't do damage to the ogre. Ogres want to attack things that are attacking them. If the barricade is reversed, the only thing attacking the ogre is towers, which the ogre can't kill because the barricade is in the way. This means the ogre just stands there like a dummy. Works with Series EV walls too since those walls don't attack.

More of an exploit really. But when they spawn 15 ogres a wave, you do what you can to survive.

Robes on
  • Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Completed the main campaign with my (now 32) tower squire. Hooray!

Thought I'd try the "bonus" caverns. Wow, that's hard. I guess I should just try completing the campaign on hard now? Is that the best way to level?

steam_sig.png
    Yes, hit up hard on some of the maps. I would avoid some boss maps for a couple more levels.

Too bad I don't have you on friends (or if your a late night PSTer), I ran a group through some leveling last night. HollowYggdrasil went from 17 to 72.

steam_sig.png
    Works with Series EV walls too since those walls don't attack.
    Yeeeeeah. I haven't had much luck with that, unless there's some bizarre technique that I should be using (it doesn't look like it, from most of the setups I've seen). When they rage, they tend to melee the thing right in front of them. No one is sure why they don't tend to rage-melee Spike Blockades when reversed (or maybe this is simply confirmation bias at work).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I would have a lot more luck in soloing nightmares if I had more tower health. As it stands right now, I have 2 pieces with overall great stats, but absolutely no tower health on them.

I'm glad I've dumped a 100M mana into my weapon though. When the shit hits the fan on the last wave of NMES, I can burn down the non-ogres while my main defenses near the 2 Eternia Shards mop up the ogres.

edited April 2012
    I would have a lot more luck in soloing nightmares if I had more tower health. As it stands right now, I have 2 pieces with overall great stats, but absolutely no tower health on them.

I'm glad I've dumped a 100M mana into my weapon though. When the shit hits the fan on the last wave of NMES, I can burn down the non-ogres while my main defenses near the 2 Eternia Shards mop up the ogres.

I hear you, I'm kind of stuck at my current gear setup for my builder. Haven't found any upgrade in weeks. I'm more or less stuck at 300-500 or close across the board.

Mostly from friends or running NMHC ES. Actually I just screenshoted my gear last night, cause I was pondering going to the AFK Shops for gear. http://steamcommunity.com/id/broncbuster/screenshot/559812597053151350?tab=public

Which level should be tackled next after NMHC ES for gear? Misty non-survival?

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    tower health doesn't drop when you swap heroes. I typically use my Series EV as a wall builder(tower health gear+ talent points) then use my huntress to pew pew things. You could dedicate a hero to jut building walls. Walls+traps everywhere!

Im stuck on NMHC Alchemy Labs. Mr Demon Lord just has too much health. I did the math and with my current dps it'd take about 5 minutes of full auto shooting to kill him.
    Need to hit 78, at level 77 right now get a transcendent weapon, then show him what's what!

Robes on

I hear you, I'm kind of stuck at my current gear setup for my builder. Haven't found any upgrade in weeks. I'm more or less stuck at 300-500 or close across the board.

Mostly from friends or running NMHC ES. Actually I just screenshoted my gear last night, cause I was pondering going to the AFK Shops for gear. http://steamcommunity.com/id/broncbuster/screenshot/559812597053151350?tab=public

I'd first hit up NM HC Raining Goblins and farm that for a while for a weapon. It's relatively easy with a Squire builder, as you just surround the crystal with 9 bouncers and add a Harpoon and Spike Blockade somewhere. If you don't have a Squire builder, you can probably do it with your Apprentice with more difficulty (surround the crystal with Magic Blockades, and overwatch the ring with as many Fireball/Lightning towers you can muster). Raining Goblins has ONLY goblins and orcs, making it relatively easy to beat, and it gives the Goblin Overlord Charge staff, which can have 100s in some stats and over 200 upgrade levels (you can equip at level 60, too). I've been doing it to farm eggs, myself, just because items don't tend to dissolve (small waves).

You still can get armor with better stats than your current gear on NM HC ES, but this can be dull to farm. NM HC Mistymire is probably your best bet as an apprentice builder. You'll need either a Huntress or Monk builder as well to survive more than the first few waves (with a Huntress, you get Gas Traps for chokepoints and Prox traps for spiders, which is what I prefer), but even with just an apprentice, you can probably survive a couple of waves and get better gear drops. The Shroomites can occasionally give you items (including Eggs!), but these tend to be low quality.

With 600M mana, though, it may just be easier to buy your equipment.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2012

I'd first hit up NM HC Raining Goblins and farm that for a while for a weapon. It's relatively easy with a Squire builder, as you just surround the crystal with 9 bouncers and add a Harpoon and Spike Blockade somewhere. If you don't have a Squire builder, you can probably do it with your Apprentice with more difficulty (surround the crystal with Magic Blockades, and overwatch the ring with as many Fireball/Lightning towers you can muster). Raining Goblins has ONLY goblins and orcs, making it relatively easy to beat, and it gives the Goblin Overlord Charge staff, which can have 100s in some stats and over 200 upgrade levels (you can equip at level 60, too). I've been doing it to farm eggs, myself, just because items don't tend to dissolve (small waves).

You still can get armor with better stats than your current gear on NM HC ES, but this can be dull to farm. NM HC Mistymire is probably your best bet as an apprentice builder. You'll need either a Huntress or Monk builder as well to survive more than the first few waves (with a Huntress, you get Gas Traps for chokepoints and Prox traps for spiders, which is what I prefer), but even with just an apprentice, you can probably survive a couple of waves and get better gear drops. The Shroomites can occasionally give you items (including Eggs!), but these tend to be low quality.

With 600M mana, though, it may just be easier to buy your equipment.

Thanks. 74's with mythicals are monk, apprentice and EV. Squire and Traptress in the next day or 2. I'd like to get the gear myself but my luck has been shit for decent drops. I may just buy 1 or 2 pieces for my builder and farm the rest. I have trouble on the Last wave of ES but I tend to forget to change pets or miss the waves to place towers with a different character cause I'm loot hungry.

Edit; also have a build for NM Misty? or a link to the spider drop points?

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i jumped like 20 levels by staying out of strykers way on some hard/insane thing he was doing. of course i would get one shot, but i picked up a shit ton of nice stuff

camo_sig.png
    Im stuck on NMHC Alchemy Labs. Mr Demon Lord just has too much health. I did the math and with my current dps it'd take about 5 minutes of full auto shooting to kill him.
    Need to hit 78, at level 77 right now get a transcendent weapon, then show him what's what!
    I use the following Apprentice-only bulid for NM HC Alchemy Labs:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=1757,nm-hc-alchemy-labs-campaign-apprentice-only

At 800ish tower stats across the board, it was able to support 4P and carry through the boss. It probably would work as a solo build with lower tower stats.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I use the following Apprentice-only bulid for NM HC Alchemy Labs:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=1757,nm-hc-alchemy-labs-campaign-apprentice-only

At 800ish tower stats across the board, it was able to support 4P and carry through the boss. It probably would work as a solo build with lower tower stats.

Diety bless you Hahns. I'm sure I've said that plenty before, but it always remains to be true.

Edit; also have a build for NM Misty? or a link to the spider drop points?
    I don't, actually. With an apprentice, I tend to just grab all the mana, then crap out towers at all the chokepoints, with a small nod to wiping out the spider spawns. I don't intend to survive all the way up to the Queen, so I made sloppy builds. The map has MASSIVE amounts of Wave 1 mana, so it's not hard to Blockade/Tower up the chokes.

ddplanner.com has all of the Spider spawns. Just click on the checkbox next to the purple Spider minimap icon in the upper right hand corner after selecting the map you want to plan.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2012
    Oh, sick, didn't know that. Thanks.

Man, that is an invaluable tip.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Patch 7.27 just dropped. Yay! Unfortunately, the "save Survival Wave" feature didn't make it in this patch, but at least they are testing it before releasing a bugged version of it.

Patch Notes below:
    * To help reduce AFK Taverns in the Games section, AFTER 30 minutes in the Tavern, visitors (clients) can now only access the Host's Hero Shop if the Tavern is in AFK Shop Mode! A note has been added to the Shop UI AFTER 30 minutes to indicate this.
    * Player Shop Items can not be sold over hard Bank limit at 400m sale value
    * Dark Elf Mages now have a 3.5-second interval between Skeleton-spawning, reducing path-clogging
    * Strength Drain Aura reduced from 6 DU to 5 DU, and are now 30% more powerful on NM
    * Gamepad users can now create folders and move items in and out of folders
    * Fixed colorization of Dropped Equipment minimap icons
    * Aura HP in Nightmare buffed 200%
    * 36 Humongous Eggs now yields you a Mega Chicken
    * Eggs no longer auto-delete when the max dropped-item cap is reached.
    * Fixed issue where Healer Pets such as Goblins, Fairies, Monkeys, were only healing for about 1/6th of the amount that they should have been on Nightmare
    * Ogres no longer get spawn-area invincibility
    * Elemental Damage Pets will no longer target enemies of that element type
    * CTF/HTF/CTD competitive maps are now once again listed in the multiplayer Search Filters UI
    * Initiate's Remote Defense Boost / Enemy Drain abilities icons no longer will block your Defense Placement camera view
    * Hiding weapons in FPV now hides weapon-aura (elemental etc) VFX and secondary weapons
    * Fixed edge case where Projectiles could lose their Team alignment, potentially resulting in erroneous game loss (mysteriously exploding cores etc), including a case with Series EV Reflection Wall
    * Fixed costumes that were resulting in black screens / no UI on competitive maps (Adept etc)
    * Fixed DDDK TC crash due to outdated TC scripts.
    * Increased effective width of Series EV Proton Beam by 30%
    * Upgrading an Item stat from negative to positive now does not lose the stat (flips it to +1)
    * Voice Chat now enabled on all MonsterFest maps
    * Fixed case where Djinn spawns could occur too rapidly, particularly in 2-Player
    * Improved Companion Cube Melee Hit Detection
    * Chicken & Mega Chicken are now tradeable/droppable/sellable
    * Rapid-Chat is no longer filtered out
    * Harpoons can hit short enemies (Goblins, Spiders) etc much better now
    * Initiate Remote Defense Boost damage ramp increased by 15%
    * Monk Defense Boost rebalanced for direct multiplicative effect, new ramp approximations:
    0 points = +10% damage
    100 points = +55% damage
    500 points = +100% damage
    1000 points = +135% damage
    1500 points = +160% damage
    2000 points = +180% damage
    2500 points = +200% damage

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Gotta level monk now. Strength drain auras sound great on choke points for boss maps.

This discussion has been closed.