As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Blizzard wrote:
    we are currently experimenting with an anti-air spider mine that would give the terrans a way to get some factory-built anti-air into small places that a Thor has trouble reaching

Is there a need for this? As far as I know, terran doesn't currently have issues with air. Marines and turrets are probably the most effective anti-air in the game. Why is Blizzard worried about terran anti-air all of a sudden.

• mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.
    Isn't that Nukes?

I don't get this, TvT is already a very dynamic match-up.

For me it's usually Marine/Tank or you die.

But that might be because I'm bad.

EDIT: Also, I'm sad the Shredder is out. I liked the idea.

Marine tank, mech, pure bio, sky Terran, there are tons of ways of playing TvT. And when I say dynamic I don't necessarily mean there are a lot of compositions, but that the gameplay itself is dynamic (meaning there are interesting interactions between the units, lots of movement, positioning etc).

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    In addition to Abduct, the viper also has the ability to blind biological units in an area of effect. Blinded units have their range reduced to 1.

Oh man, I can blind entire MMM balls? MWHAHAHAHAHAH
    Now if only I could blind non bio units....

Obviously, there would need to be a way to remove this effect either by wearing off or a counter heal spell.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I wonder how much the Viper eats. It would be interesting if you could mine out a base before your opponent can take it.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Blizzard wrote:
    we are currently experimenting with an anti-air spider mine that would give the terrans a way to get some factory-built anti-air into small places that a Thor has trouble reaching

I don't get this. Why is Blizzard so concerned about terran anti-air. As far as I know, marines and turrets are the best anti-air in the game. Is terran having issues with air that I am unaware of?

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    lost my first 6 games in a row.

gg

no.

re.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    Blizzard wrote:

I don't get this. Why is Blizzard so concerned about terran anti-air. As far as I know, marines and turrets are the best anti-air in the game. Is terran having issues with air that I am unaware of?

No, not really. I'm not sure why Blizzard is so concerned with Terran AA.

Factory tech has problems with anti-air. Hellions and Tanks don't shoot up and Thors fire tickle rockets at Armored targets. That's why super late TvTs eventually transition to air and the goal of ZvT is to get Broodlords.

I don't know why they want to change that though. Vikings serve as fine support to a Mech army and the weakness is one of Mech's balancing points.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    In addition to Abduct, the viper also has the ability to blind biological units in an area of effect. Blinded units have their range reduced to 1.

Obviously, there would need to be a way to remove this effect either by wearing off or a counter heal spell.

I assume its either a time based spell or a time based cloud. I hope it also reduces vision to range 1.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Blizzard wrote:

I would imagine Viper Blind + Mutas would be incredibly strong vs T as it stands right now, if the blind is a locational AOE since the Turrets wouldn't be able to move out from under it, and Thor's move so slowly.

• RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So. Us protoss are getting a long range air siege unit that shots air and ground? Awesome.

Rofflor on
    76561197968655073.png
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    @jaziek tank to bronze and learn Terran?

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Rofflor wrote: »
    So. Us protoss are getting a long range air siege unit that shots air and ground? Awesome.

I know! Wouldn't it be fantastic if it, I don't know, shot out smaller ships that would fly around and attack things?

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    Blizzard wrote:

I suppose maybe they're trying to give terran the ability to go pure mech and still have AA, but if that was the case, why would they use a static anti-air ability. Oh blizzard.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    TL bringing the "Cut all the units and make everything BW!" talk again. Time to let it go people....or just go play it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I don't really care what happens in HotS so long as Terran get a way of playing TvP that isn't MMMG and PvZ becomes less of a shitfest.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Well, the arbiter would be a good way to start the somewhat needed remake of the protoss race from the ground up.

PantsB wrote: »

I assume its either a time based spell or a time based cloud. I hope it also reduces vision to range 1.

A time based, blind cloud, would be identical to dark swarm, and redundant to the other AOE spell the viper already has (can't recall the name).

IF blind works the same way it did in BW, ranged units won't be able to attack, at all.

Blind observers couldn't detect squat, even if they were literally on top of a lurker or DT. Blind marines were effectively walking punching bags as they couldn't fire at all even if they hugged a zealot.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    I was under the impression that it was replacing the other Viper spell.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Blizzard wrote:

my favorite is the Protoss long range flying bomber/fighter...

you know, like the VR was originally designed. when it had like 9? range, and three charge up states. Which was then changed to range 7 with two charge up states - ouch that hurts, and damn where did my base go?

Which was then nerfed to be less of an auto surprise win, to being a reasonable part of a balanced army. Then they removed flux vanes because it was actually mobile....

So, Protoss needs a long range bomber/fighter? Given the history of the void ray, why would you decide that it's a viable idea?

At least OS's aren't going away. Not exactly sure why OLs mysteriously lost detection capabilities since BW, but at least they didnt take reasonably cheap detection and move it onto the raven 2.0.

It doesn't say that. It simply says the viper has the additional ability to blind biological units. During Blizzcon, it was reverse dark-swarm spell that affected anything under the cloud, rather than just bio units.

I don't really care what happens in HotS so long as Terran get a way of playing TvP that isn't MMMG

Why do you hate me?
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra

It doesn't say that. It simply says the viper has the additional ability to blind biological units. During Blizzcon, it was reverse dark-swarm spell that affected anything under the cloud, rather than just bio units.

I don't really care what happens in HotS so long as Terran get a way of playing TvP that isn't MMMG

Why do you hate me?

i don't understand the thinking behind the new spell, either... dark swarm made it so units with ranged attacks, couldnt so that melee, like lings could get up close and personal.

this one doesn't do shit for the melee based zerg army, and makes them even more reliant on the roach.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    haha I knew there'd be people complaining about rallied bio somewhere. glad I looked.

because double upgrades and a quick third and losing your army in the middle of the map shouldn't be punishable. but moreso wtf is terran supposed to do? you rally bio, try to have perfect micro (away from zealots always, predicting storms when possible, splitting if there is a colossus transition) and hopefully if you can build a supply lead you don't make one or two micro mistakes and lose it all. parting just is the best stormer right now so that supply doesn't matter much to him. if the storm lands directly over your army you are going to take severe damage. you are going to lose medivacs to feedback and while you micro your army (if you want to be healed the medivacs have to stand still).

I don't mind it that high tech units can do that to low tech units, it's logical. I mind that terran has no other lategame options. there's no way to tech to increase your lead so the most you can do is up production and try to expand but at a certain point you can't just run over protoss. as was shown in several of these games. when toss has a lead they have multiple ways to cement it (varied high tech units).

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    so I'm strongly considering purchasing a GSL ticket for either season 2 or 3. I've never bought one before, so I'm just kinda wondering how people feel about them. Is it worth the money in your opinions (if you have bought it). Mind you, the fact that I'm considering it means I do watch a lot of games, so I am not looking for that kinda answer. Just wondering how many games it gets you / season, how long you have to watch the season, do you have archive access to seasons you've purchased in the past or do they disappear a month or two after the conclusion.

edited April 2012
    I don't really care what happens in HotS so long as Terran get a way of playing TvP that isn't MMMG and PvZ becomes less of a shitfest.

yeah.

edit - joe I'm not understanding, lings that don't get shot until they're attacking the opponent are much much stronger than currently.

Variable on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »

Why do you hate me?

i don't understand the thinking behind the new spell, either... dark swarm made it so units with ranged attacks, couldnt so that melee, like lings could get up close and personal.

this one doesn't do shit for the melee based zerg army, and makes them even more reliant on the roach.

Yes it does. Much of the ineffectiveness of melee in this game is that the effective dps of the units drops as they get picked off before they reach their target. The blind does two things: (1) makes it so that melee units can close the distance before they get whittled down by the ranged army and (2) keeps units in the inner part of a ball unable from attacking the melee units chipping away at the outside.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.

Why do you hate me?

How do you figure that? The cloud reduces the range of units under it to one, right? So if you cast it over marines, it'd essentially allow your banes and zerglings freedom to close the distance and fight marines 1 on 1. Sounds like a good spell to me.

onesixty2 wrote: »
    so I'm strongly considering purchasing a GSL ticket for either season 2 or 3. I've never bought one before, so I'm just kinda wondering how people feel about them. Is it worth the money in your opinions (if you have bought it). Mind you, the fact that I'm considering it means I do watch a lot of games, so I am not looking for that kinda answer. Just wondering how many games it gets you / season, how long you have to watch the season, do you have archive access to seasons you've purchased in the past or do they disappear a month or two after the conclusion.

you maintain archive access. it's great if you want to watch once for entertainment and ever go back to learn something. also I've gone back to watch great series plenty of times.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Why do you hate me?

How do you figure that? The cloud reduces the range of units under it to one, right? So if you cast it over marines, it'd essentially allow your banes and zerglings freedom to close the distance and fight marines 1 on 1. Sounds like a good spell to me.

And the normal shape of bio balls are as inefficient as possible with a range of 1.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    If blind works like optic flare did in BW, even up close ranged units wouldn't attack, at all.

I'm OK with that.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    damn, oz showing gateway units can take care of huge huge bio attacks

with blink of all things, I'm impressed

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    FYI, will be streaming RedOne's coaching session at 9:00 EST tonight. Likely we'll be going over zerg mechanics (as is usually the topic of most of my coaching sessions).

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    lols. i am rusty as hell. went to do a game, decided to do a custom because I don't even remember hotkeys. think im gonna have to do some heavy duty practice runs before I start laddering.

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I don't think zerg really _needs_ anything atm for hots. ZvP and ZvT are both great matchups on zerg side of things. We can play and win with so many unit comps it's unfair to other races how fun zerg is.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    If blind works like optic flare did in BW, even up close ranged units wouldn't attack, at all.

I'm OK with that.

well, i'd still be more interested in darkswarm, and well, plague. optic flare was permanent, and i cant see this carnation of blizzard making any effect permanent. why does dustin hate all the good units from BW, wtf was wrong with the defiler?

and mass recall to nexus is still a bad idea. what was wrong with arbiters? i can see a multitude of abusive situations from this

and a new unit for terran air dominance? does that even make sense with marines, vikings, BCs, turrets and ghosts? I mean, there's a strong case that anti-air is T>P>Z currently. (and there is no indication that Zerg is getting any relief on this front)

Speaking of anti-air, they're scrapping the corsair-analog... any protoss feel that the muta "problem" has been solved with the phoenix upgrade?

i ... don't understand the thinking about this patch. sure, i'll wait until it comes out, or at least beta before making any judgements, but i clearly can't follow their thinking.

mastman wrote: »
    I don't think zerg really _needs_ anything atm for hots. ZvP and ZvT are both great matchups on zerg side of things. We can play and win with so many unit comps it's unfair to other races how fun zerg is.

Que Salvation post in 3, 2, 1...

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    Joe

sc2 is not sc1 as much as you want it to be. it is new game
    overlords aren't detectors
    hydras aren't boss player units which are tier 1
    we don't have defilers

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    Nexus recall eh?

OK so here's the gist:

We're all going to end up buying a glorified Brood War again, only this time we'll buy a glorified Warcraft 3 in between.

I recommend you start working on your Blademaster harass now.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Not a fan of TP Scrolls Mig?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Nexus recall isn't a new thing, they announced that way back at Blizzcon, in response to the mothership being removed. I am sort of surprised that people are surprised that it's being mentioned. Or more accurately that it's being talked about so much as if it's a new announcement.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling