As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    I think on balance i'll be giving this a miss. It also makes the mistake of assuming that everyone buying this will own a 6 button pad - again. Ridiculous. Poor decisions all around. Even the trial mode is stupid: if you fail one task (eg, block 3/3 mixups) you go back one step (eg block 2/3, fail the third and you go to 1/3). I can't get onboard with such ass backwards decision making.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I think on balance i'll be giving this a miss. It also makes the mistake of assuming that everyone buying this will own a 6 button pad - again. Ridiculous. Poor decisions all around. Even the trial mode is stupid: if you fail one task (eg, block 3/3 mixups) you go back one step (eg block 2/3, fail the third and you go to 1/3). I can't get onboard with such ass backwards decision making.

- Damn near every fighting game in existence uses a 6-button setup.

- Trial mode is designed to help you. Those mixups in trial mode? Those are the types of things you need to be good at to do well at a fighting game. Know why that's there? Because people complain that trial modes are a waste of time in most games (they are). This is an attempt to fix that.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Bossking wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/10/skullgirls-will-be-patched-with-movelists-and-dlc-if-the-game-sells-well/

I don't really agree with this and think a movelist should've been one of the first things in, but I can't really blame them.

I was watching Wakeup SRK, last night. MIke said he the publishers were convinced to do one patch, no matter what, so move lists and training options won't be contingent on sales.

I think, or at least hope, the game will do fine. It looks and feels really good. Loving my Peacock/Fortune team. In the corner, I can tag in Peacock, do the bomb super and DHC into Furserker Purrage, which combos into the bomb explosion. Probably not practical at all, but it looks cool.

• Options

- Trial mode is designed to help you. Those mixups in trial mode? Those are the types of things you need to be good at to do well at a fighting game. Know why that's there? Because people complain that trial modes are a waste of time in most games (they are). This is an attempt to fix that.
    1. I don't care.
    2. Trial mode is useless to players unless they've unlocked the full game. It's pointless to comment on its efficacy in this position.

This is a salutory lesson in what you need to offer as a trial for players. I don't mind having content locked, even most of it locked. I mind that the right content is locked.

• Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    How else would you have wanted them to do the control scheme, ghost? Remove buttons? They can only do so much with a PS3/360 controller, and you can remap them however you see fit

So far, my biggest disappointment has been the exclusion of a taunt button. I NEED THAT.

• Options
    I would have done a 4 button scheme. Simple.

• Options
    edited April 2012

1. I don't care.
    2. Trial mode is useless to players unless they've unlocked the full game. It's pointless to comment on its efficacy in this position.

This is a salutory lesson in what you need to offer as a trial for players. I don't mind having content locked, even most of it locked. I mind that the right content is locked.

That's nice that you don't care that every button uses a 6-button setup. Its my evidence that its not a "poor decision" as you mentioned.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to trial mode being useless without the full game being unlocked. Did you just get the demo? If so.. that's the point of the demo... things are locked.

In any case... I'm still not sure why you think trial mode is useless. The trial is to block the mixups. Blocking is the hardest part of playing fighting games! You don't need a move list to do that when the command for blocking is holding back.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I've been pretty content playing Blazblue and MvC3 using either pad because each does a great job using its 4 face buttons for your main attacks, and the shoulder buttons for combinations or alternative features. I don't think it's at all conceivable to say, "6 button is standard, you're stupid", even moreso when this is built on systems that use a 4-button setup. <_<

In any case ... While I don't like 6-button layouts, I hardly think this is a problem in comparison to the growing list of "What the hell were they thinking?" entries in this trial version.

• Options

1. I don't care.

That's nice that you don't care that every button uses a 6-button setup. Its my evidence that its not a "poor decision" as you mentioned.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to trial mode being useless without the full game being unlocked. Did you just get the demo? If so.. that's the point of the demo... things are locked.

In any case... I'm still not sure why you think trial mode is useless. The trial is to block the mixups. Blocking is the hardest part of playing fighting games! You don't need a move list to do that when the command for blocking is holding back.

You really have no idea what's being talked about here.

Point 1 I've technically already talked about above.
    Point 2 is completely different. If you download the TRIAL version of skullgirls, it has a lot of locked content. And these are not minor things. The game's tutorials are locked, so you can't even see what systems are in place unless you want to test. The online multiplayer is locked, so people can't test how the game plays on their network, ISP, or between regions. There are serious issues preventing people from having any idea of whether or not they want to buy the game, or if it will actually play worth a damn if they do. For a 1200 point game, that's a really big deal.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    6 Buttons is considered universally better, controller be damned. If "I don't care" is all you got and this bothers you that much, I don't know what to tell you. When CvS2 switched to six buttons, there were very little cries of Ruined Forever. This game might not be for you.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

1. I don't care.

You really have no idea what's being talked about here.

Point 1 I've technically already talked about above.
    I've been pretty content playing Blazblue and MvC3 using either pad because each does a great job using its 4 face buttons for your main attacks, and the shoulder buttons for combinations or alternative features. I don't think it's at all conceivable to say, "6 button is standard, you're stupid", even moreso when this is built on systems that use a 4-button setup. <_<

Oh really? Mind quoting me on where I said "6 button is standard, you're stupid?" My point was to argue that not only is 6-button not stupid.. but its the standard.
    Point 2 is completely different. If you download the TRIAL version of skullgirls, it has a lot of locked content. And these are not minor things. The game's tutorials are locked, so you can't even see what systems are in place unless you want to test. The online multiplayer is locked, so people can't test how the game plays on their network, ISP, or between regions. There are serious issues preventing people from having any idea of whether or not they want to buy the game, or if it will actually play worth a damn if they do. For a 1200 point game, that's a really big deal.

Fair enough. I'll concede this. I'm still confused about tutorials.. Ghost Whistler's post made it seem like tutorials were unlocked. Is that not the case?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    The trial mode is useless because it's locked out.

• Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    Were you expecting the entire tutorial to be unlocked for demo purposes? The tutorial was one of the bigger features.

What were they going to do, teach you how to move and jump and tell you to buy the game to learn the rest?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Six buttons is like the OG fighting games method. While I would have preferred/am surprised they did not go with ABCD or something, it's totally normal. Plus, a lot of things in this game seem like he's reaching out to the hardcore community since he's demoed it at lots of tournaments and taken a lot of feedback.

This is pretty reasonable since you dirty casuals aren't going to sustain the game forever, whereas a niche title in the fighting game community can last for years and years. 1200 points isn't really that unreasonable for a fighting game in my opinion so I can forgive the demo being lacking, but I understand that the price point is different for different people.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Fair enough. I'll concede this. I'm still confused about tutorials.. Ghost Whistler's post made it seem like tutorials were unlocked. Is that not the case?

You've got it. Basically, you know how tutorials are broken up into 4 chapters? Well they let you do the first one out of each chapter, which makes even less sense because those things have no flow and aren't exactly related. You go from "move left and right and jump!" to "block mixups!"
    It's just a very strange thing to put behind the 'buy me!' barrier, or at least the way they've done it ... I mean, maybe allow all the chapter 1 tutorials or something? Ultimately, people should be able to at least understand the basics of your game from the trial, but it gives no simple way to do this without being at least mildly intimate with the fighting game genre. :(

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

You've got it. Basically, you know how tutorials are broken up into 4 chapters? Well they let you do the first one out of each chapter, which makes even less sense because those things have no flow and aren't exactly related. You go from "move left and right and jump!" to "block mixups!"
    It's just a very strange thing to put behind the 'buy me!' barrier, or at least the way they've done it ... I mean, maybe allow all the chapter 1 tutorials or something? Ultimately, people should be able to at least understand the basics of your game from the trial, but it gives no simple way to do this without being at least mildly intimate with the fighting game genre. :(

To be fair, almost the entire premise of the game is that it is a game built specifically for fighting game fans. I honestly think a wider audience than that may have been an afterthought.

• Options
    Bossking wrote: »
    Were you expecting the entire tutorial to be unlocked for demo purposes? The tutorial was one of the bigger features.

What were they going to do, teach you how to move and jump and tell you to buy the game to learn the rest?
    If prospective players can't get to grips with the game then the trial mode will have failed.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Six buttons is like the OG fighting games method. While I would have preferred/am surprised they did not go with ABCD or something, it's totally normal. Plus, a lot of things in this game seem like he's reaching out to the hardcore community since he's demoed it at lots of tournaments and taken a lot of feedback.

This is pretty reasonable since you dirty casuals aren't going to sustain the game forever, whereas a niche title in the fighting game community can last for years and years. 1200 points isn't really that unreasonable for a fighting game in my opinion so I can forgive the demo being lacking, but I understand that the price point is different for different people.

I think this is entirely reasonable on all fronts. I have no illusions about the target audience, and while I like 4-button games, I understand why they made this a 6-button game. I guess there's just that part of me that thought, "this will be the game I can finally try and get on board with these things", and then I feel like I've almost been locked out. This is largely due to the trial though, so we'll see how I feel post-purchase.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    as someone who simply gets his ass kicked in every fighting game, i'm just looking forward to learning new characters and moves. i love grappler characters, and the one in this game seems really fun to use.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to bother with the trial and just DL Skullgirls when I get home. Even though I just bought Syndicate and SSX... I've been itching for a fighting game for a while.

Skull2185 on XBL if you want to dominate me in every match ever. I'll probably spend this evening playing the AI though, to learn the game a bit. Well, learn the game as much as a simpleton like me can.

I wish every 2D fighting game had a simple mode ala MvC3...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I cannot do Parasoul's standing chain as listed in SRK wiki. Am I retarded or am I missing something here?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I just noticed the lighting on the characters changes depending on the level. Very nice touch.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I cannot do Parasoul's standing chain as listed in SRK wiki. Am I retarded or am I missing something here?

It's because the SRK wiki is a filthy liar on this point. What Parasoul can do is combo the same button into itself for a lot of her moves, so while she can't get a six hit chain by doing LP, LK, MP, MK, HP, HK, for example, she can get a six hit chain by doing LK, LK, MK, MK, HP, HP for example.

On the topic of chains, I'll take slightly longer chains over Street Fighter's absolutely dreadful link system any day of the week.

Honestly I didn't even notice a lack of a movelist because I never use the in game movelists, switching into and out of menus all the time is annoying. They have the most list online so I just pull it up on my phone for reference, much easier to have the information on two separate screens.

4 buttons versus 6 buttons is a HUGE design decision. Neither is better or worse, just different. This games logic (in terms of chains, special attack strengths, etc) are built around the six button system. This is pretty much as pad friendly as a six button fighter can get. Put what 4 you prefer on the face, put the other two on shoulders. Nothing in this game requires you to press all 3 punches or all 3 kicks at the same time, at most you have doubled inputs so really it shouldn't be anything hard to handle, even on a pad. Movement inputs are pretty simplified too, no double rotations, no 720s, no pretzels, anti-jump protection on the 360, etc. I'd peg this game as pretty damn new player friendly.

Character wise I am loving Miss Fortune still, I love how she takes the fun bits of a puppet character (setting up traps, crazy blockstrings, crazy combos) without the obnoxious parts of a puppet character (seriously the first week you spend trying to get Carl Clover to do... anything, is painful). And, the fact that her puppet stuff is pretty streamlined and simple means they didn't have to gut the rest of her moveset utterly to make her balanced, so she's fun even when you aren't doing puppet stuff!

So far my only real complaint with the game is I hate the last boss. But I hate ALL last bosses that don't play like normal characters so, no surprise there.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    it's not a fighting game without a cheating asshole final boss

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    xbox internets not possible atm?

• Options

MK9's Shao Kahn

Good lord, just typing "MK9's Shao Kahn" is making myblood pressure spike...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

MK9's Shao Kahn

Good lord, just typing "MK9's Shao Kahn" is making myblood pressure spike...
    Actually Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaan never really offended me. Sometimes you get levels of cheap that are so ridiculous stress just isn't an appropriate response.

I didn't care for Seth or Akuma in sfxt who does nothing but dodge and throw fireballs. Yawn.

• Options
    it's funny that usually the best way to beat the cheap ass boss is to be cheap right back and spam one or two moves

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Seth was the reason I rage quit SF4. I haven't had that problem with Marie mostly because the only way I've been able to get to her is when the AI is set below easy (sleepwalking I think). Seriously, I tried easy and couldn't even get a hit in. Loving the game so far, mostly playing with another friend that is as terrible at fighters as I am which definitely helps.

• Options
    my friend broke his TV because of seth, just stood up and punch the screen
    this was a glass TV

• Options
    This last boss isn't particularly cheap or anything it's just that the way you have to fight her isn't how you fight any other character (can't use any standard combos type of thing) so I feel like any time I spend learning how to beat the boss is time wasted.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    He punched his TV over a character with 80% of the health of most of the cast, a character who could beaten by one button only?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    sorry we can't all be you auburntiger gosh

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    He punched his TV over a character with 80% of the health of most of the cast, a character who could beaten by one button only?

Final both Seth has little to do with Seth played by a person. For starters, final boss Seth has more health.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

boss seth is different than player controlled seth

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular

Final both Seth has little to do with Seth played by a person. For starters, final boss Seth has more health.

I was talking about the AI, not human players. However, I'm still almost 100% positive he still had 800 health. You can find videos of Zangief's ultra + one other move killing him completely.

But if that's too hard, again, one button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zri119hjNmI

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Seth is really easy when you figure out the hole in his AI. And that hole is jumping heavy kick into sweep for the entire match.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    you think the average person has the timing down like that? the dude in the video is clearly very good at SF. obviously he can figure out the trick but i certainly didn't beat him like that and i'm sure most others didn't either.

while it's great there are people out there who are naturally adept at these games most people i would wager are not able to dodge his attacks like that, not consistently at least.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Seth was really easy. There's a distance where you can just sweep him over and over and over.

• Options
    I just remembered I have a SFIV fightpad for my 360. Using that over the standard controller for Skullgirls is a no-brainer, yes?