As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

YarYar Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I didn't see a new thread yet, and thought I'd make one. Here we discuss primarily the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels by George R. R. Martin. Lately the discussion is either a) theories about where things are going after the 5th book, A Dance with Dragons, or b) comparing the TV show to the books or otherwise discussing the TV show from the point of view of a current or past reader of the books. If you are familiar with the books, please don't discuss anything in the TV Show thread, not even a "ooohh you guys are going to freak when this thing I can't tell you happens!!!" Because they hate that and I symapthize with them.

That being said, in the TV show thread, several have recently commented about how the pieces are all set into place now, and it's time for the real stuff to start happening.

Sigh!! Three books and ten years later and, like, isn't winter still coming? Though admittedly, there a few instances of serious shizznit going down in store for the show. I can't wait to lurk the TV thread after
The Red Wedding.

If you are watching the TV shows, and have not read at least that far in the books, you seriously need to G da F O.

EDIT: More on spoiling: Ok, so reading through the thread, I'm reminded that as the OP, I get some amount of leeway to suggest spoilage policies. Yes, this is the spoilage thread. We WILL be loose about what we do or don't tag. The general industry standard is that a spoiler is only something that involves unpublished material. If the book is published or the show has aired on the east coast, it's not a spoiler. However, to avoid chaos and murder, this thread should be a bit more careful than that.

If every single post is in spoiler tags, then we are tagging too much. I'm suggesting tags on any super-major events from the books, particularly the last book, but they've all been out a while so don't try too hard. In keeping with the recent change in the TV show thread, I'm suggesting OPEN SPOILERS on anything that has been aired on the East Coast, except scenes from next week, that's still spoily. I'm also suggesting that if you haven't read all the books and seen the latest episode, you stay out, because I would prefer that we be able to 1) have a discussion that isn't entirely in tags, and 2) be able to actually put real spoilers of future shit in spoiler tags without everyone assuming it's not really a spoiler.

So what does all that vague spoiler talk really mean?

#1 rule is no crying about something being spoiled, assuming it's already published material. If you haven't read all the books AND seen every aired show, then you are forbidden from accusing someone else of spoiling something for you. If you're posting an interview with GRRM where he talks about stuff that will happen in Book 6, yeah, that is the very epitome of a spoiler and must be tagged.

#2 rule, less important than #1, is to use your own best judgment and put tags around some things, like maybe details of TRW, or R-L-J theories, or major stuff from Book 5. Definitely anything about a show that hasn't aired (besides what we know from the books), or confirmed plot facts in books not yet published. Someone could very well click this thread by accident instead of the TV one, and they sure has hell don't want to see this in non-tagged form:
(major spoilers from books 3 - 5)
Hey, remember when Robb and Catelyn were killed by the Freys, and Sansa married Tyrion, but then Catelyn came back as an evil zombie and Joff chokes to death and Tyrion murders his father, and Jamie sort of becomes a good guy? That was awesome.

#3 rule is to try to do what I did above and preface your spoiler tags with a very brief description of what kind of spoiler it is and about when it occurs in the series.

Yar on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just bought Dances with Dragons. I'm going slow so GRRM has time to write.

I should re-read the first books and catch up with the TV show, that actually sounds like fun.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cross-posting the official announcement of Season 3.

Book 3 is totally awesome, and they are considering spending two seasons on it. Which would be awesome for many reasons. 1) HBO gets another season of subscribers out of this deal. 2) Book 3 is not only the longest book IIRC, but also conversely packs the most excitement and plot twist per page. The most memorable game-changing and series-defining moments happen in that book, and every chapter is a roller-coaster of yippee! and NOOOO!, so they can definitely pack 2 seasons of episodes full of great entertainment. 3) GRRM gets another year to finish his books before the show outpaces him.

On the flipside, it would make me worry even more about how dang old some of these kids are going to be by the end of the series.

Yar on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Yessss I support that idea.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The worst part is deciding where to end Season 3.
    A straight split in half leaves a lot of half-set up stories without any conclusion.
    Ending with Robb's death... well, given book reader reactions I don't think that's the best place to end a season.
    End after Joffrey's death and there's just not much left in the story.

I'm guessing Robb will die in episode 9 and episode 10 will give some reason to continue watching.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Episode 7 is titled "autumn storms" and grrm will be writing it

Season 1 he wrote Baelor
    This season he's writing Blackwater

I'd guess that these Autumn Storms include some... rain.

Also it's probably a good approach to do it in episode 7, that's no way to end a season

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That would be way early, wouldn't it? Actually, I'm gonna go check.

Yeah, so:
    It's about 2/3 of the way through the book.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    When TRW happens, my wife is going flip. She was so pissed when
    Ned
    dies. I've never seen her hate rant on fiction (or anything) before.

It was and will be glorious!
    Joffrey killing the babies upset her too.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    It would be a lot earlier than the books, but I think they could probably make it happen. Jon and Dany's storylines aren't effected by when that scene happens, Jaime's probably going to have an episode or two on the road already in season 2, so you'd have time there, and then Arya's travelogue will be pretty easy to fit in I'd think... Plus this way they can end contracts with a bunch of actors in season 3, making life a lot easier on them for 4.

I think you could probably make that work. It'll probably feel weird to book readers but it'd work out in terms of plot logistics

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    It would be a lot earlier than the books, but I think they could probably make it happen. Jon and Dany's storylines aren't effected by when that scene happens, Jaime's probably going to have an episode or two on the road already in season 2, so you'd have time there, and then Arya's travelogue will be pretty easy to fit in I'd think... Plus this way they can end contracts with a bunch of actors in season 3, making life a lot easier on them for 4.

I think you could probably make that work. It'll probably feel weird to book readers but it'd work out in terms of plot logistics

I don't see how you get 13 episodes afterwards though.
    My opinion remains that the RW is season four, somewhat early on as an unexpected gut punch.

Well, remember they haven't said they're going to use two FULL seasons for book 3. Just that they can't possibly fit it into 10 episodes. So season 4, if we get that far, will then be starting in on some of books 4/5

So you're thinking like, 15 on book three and then 15 for both 4/5? I'm not sure that works either. There's a lot of bloat in 4/5 but not THAT much.

Plus not ending a season on
    Lady Stoneheart's first appearance

would be criminal.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I don't know, I'd think TRW would be better for mid to late season so that after the shitstorm, people can feel relieved after
    Joffrey
    dies.

One tragedy at the end of a season is fine to really drive that point home that it's a dark tone story, another can turn off fans.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Well, I'd just say one of the biggest reasons to know they're going to have THAT scene in season 3, besides the episode title and that GRRM is writing it, is that it makes a lot of sense from a production standpoint. You don't want to sign a bunch of actors for a season only to use them for a couple episodes.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    My bet would be that they end Season 3 with (or right around)
    Jon's return to the Wall or the sacking of Astapor.

That might be way too late, though, I don't have the books around for reference.

Well, I'd just say one of the biggest reasons to know they're going to have THAT scene in season 3, besides the episode title and that GRRM is writing it, is that it makes a lot of sense from a production standpoint. You don't want to sign a bunch of actors for a season only to use them for a couple episodes.

Contract reasons is a very compelling reason, and I think they can probably shuffle things around enough to get away with it. It's especially true with how big the cast grows in book 3.

Another possibility:
    Jaime losing his hand.

That's a fair point, but...
    There's only two major players there, right? Unless they elevate the role of the Greatjon or something this season. And one of those two ain't dead.

There's only two major players there, right? Unless they elevate the role of the Greatjon or something this season. And one of those two ain't dead.
    Clegane and Arya show up right after shit starts going down, while the Frey and Stark men-at-arms are fighting in the courtyard. Clegane wisely decides not to get involved.

Clegane and Arya show up right after shit starts going down, while the Frey and Stark men-at-arms are fighting in the courtyard. Clegane wisely decides not to get involved.
    Sorry, should have clarified. Players who would not be continuing in their roles (at least until the final scene of the season, in my projected series. We wouldn't see Robb or Catelyn again.

It's not just major players.
    Edmure is there, and I doubt they can avoid keeping him out of the picture in season 3 since it's his wedding. But he's not seen again until Book 4. After the RW, the war in the north is done and you get rid of all the minor players there. Some do come back but not for that book, freeing up budget to bring in other minor characters. We might not see the Queen of Thorns until Season 4 for that reason, and you have the Dornish characters that wouldn't show up until season 4 anyway.

Reflecting on it, Season 3 may focus on the North and Season 4 may focus on the South. Not exclusively, obviously, but it would make a good split.
    Season 3 - Jon's journey back to the wall, Dany getting her army of Unsullied, Robb Stark's fall. Arya making her way north / capture by the Hound. Jaime/Brienne making their way south. Add in whatever political machinations in King's Landing that are needed, maybe even ending with Tyrion's wedding to Sansa.

Season 4 - Jon defending the wall, Dany with her army, bring in a few things in the North like Theon's torture, but the main storyline be King's Landing with Joffrey's wedding.

Yeah, it would probably be a good idea to end season 3 with Jon preparing to defend the wall, it would be a good way to entice viewers back for season 4.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    When SoS was split into two books, how did they end the first?

When SoS was split into two books, how did they end the first?

That is an excellent and obvious question that I do not know the answer to.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Checking on Amazon (UK) looks like the first ended with Jon escaping and heading back to the Wall.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Oh for fuck's sake, I cannot handle the Show thread anymore. Even as someone who has not read the books, the idea that "OMFG, you mentioned a character is getting too much screen time! That's a huge spoiler because now I know its different!" is flat-out ridiculous. I can't even fathom that level of terror over something like that.

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the show develops its own identity. Its rare that someone who creates a story has the chance to go back and change things later. And the chance to take a small change and explore how that ripples through an entire epic? That is a pretty cool concept to see play out.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    ep 2 kind of made me worried about the upcoming character bloat for later seasons

I mean they are already cutting down/combining characters and it's still impossible to give these great actors enough screen time!

• Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    ep 2 kind of made me worried about the upcoming character bloat for later seasons

I mean they are already cutting down/combining characters and it's still impossible to give these great actors enough screen time!

It is kinda scary that if the show does not get cancelled and is going to cover the whole series, that will be at least 8 seasons. 10 one hour episodes per season, that's about 80 hours for the whole show and still they wouldn't have had everyone and everything covered from the books. Just crazy how much stuff and details are in the books. :bz

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I was complaining in the show thread because someone let a spoiler slip that is a plot point from book 2 or 3, and someone took that to mean that I was complaining about Ros or whatever. That's fine, the Ros discussion distracts them from the actual spoiler.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I debated for a very long time before I pointed out the guest right being important in this world thing, even tangentially. I'm trying to be super paranoid about it.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Ill bet cash money on season 3 ending with Tyrion dropping the cup after Joffreys death OR Jon returning to the wall. But Joffrey will die in the same season the RW happens.

Heisenberg wrote: »
    Ill bet cash money on season 3 ending with Tyrion dropping the cup after Joffreys death OR Jon returning to the wall. But Joffrey will die in the same season the RW happens.

It kind of seems like...
    All three of them need to die in the same season, but Balon goes pretty early, doesn't he?

edited April 2012

I just don't see that happening.
    To fit all the setup for both events you just won't have anything left for Season 4. The only way I see them doing both in the same season is if they push the RW to Season 4, which I think may be unlikely.

Balon dies first and is just referenced in passing.

Tomanta on
    Tomanta wrote: »

I just don't see that happening.
    To fit all the setup for both events you just won't have anything left for Season 4. The only way I see them doing both in the same season is if they push the RW to Season 4, which I think may be unlikely.

Balon dies first and is just referenced in passing.
    Because there's no POV character to see it. I suspect we'll get to see it.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Why are we spoilering stuff?

STOP SPOILERING STUFF! THIS IS THE THREAD OF SPOIL!

edited April 2012
    OP says tag 'em. I think the thread title is just to keep out the sort who would rather not know Ros does not exist.

Speaking of whom!

If Martin aims to keep her around, it would mean she could never meaningfully interact with the main POVs. "How could this be, and how could it benefit my enjoyment?" I wondered, and I think I might rather enjoy it she joined the clergy or the sparrows to give a us a POV there.

Perhaps after
    escaping Littlefinger to work for Chataya, taking Alayaya's place as Tyrion's Shae-coverup, and being brutally tortured by Cersei and Qyburn because of it, she might decide to leave the profession and pledge herself to the Seven. Unless Qyburn turns her into golden golem with a heart of solid hooker.

(For those that dared enter despite the title: That's an every-book spoiler, not an Episode 2 spoiler.)

(Of sorts)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    I was thinking about this earlier, I wonder if Ros could end up joining / assisting the Antler Men (was that their name?)

I'm not sure if the logical ending to that plotline would be hilarious or just cruel... Probably the latter.

Plus I doubt the Antler Men would really let her join even if she wanted to, it was sort of an upper-class thing, as I remember.

That doesn't feel quite right. She's a regular Jane Q. Smallfolk, I can't see her getting mixed up in the political grumblings of merchants and the like.

Though, as a high-class sexpositor, we could certainly learn of the Antler-men through her.

Yeah, I mean there's no way she'd be a ringleader, but possibly as a messenger-type? In plot terms she's pretty well-placed to show us the antler men.

Although then they'd have to like, actually cast Antler Men, they might be happier to just leave it as Varys going, "Oh hey, found some more conspirators, look how helpful I am!"

Which I'm always reminded of when Jaime talks about how Varys was always happy to point out any conspiracies the Mad King failed to imagine. There was always the feeling that in lieu of real conspirators, Varys might simply provide some in order to appear invaluable.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I was told to shut the fuck up when I asked my friends who are watching the show "Yo has Stannis shown up yet"

they lost their shit

"oh no we know the name of a character!"

Then that episode he was there

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Stannis was mentioned in season 1. Your friends are fools.