As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, GW 2 has a pre-order site, but it doesn't work properly. How professional.

Want to see a bad pre-order site? Check out Funcom's one for Secret World stuff. THAT was a bad one. A few kinks during the first 48 hours of orders for one of the biggest games of the year isn't too bad. There's just no way to prepare for so many people pounding your servers.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bleh

Xagar on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

So, a forum poster made a snide comment, but isn't even true. How original.

The purchase site worked fine for me and many others.

26904.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular

in what sense is it not working properly

Doesn't support Opera. Doesn't support IE (really?). And the order won't go through on Firefox. I'm fairly confused.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    So I want to preorder this from Green Man Gaming but apparently they only have it for UK people. Why no US? Idk. But it sucks, cause I have $51 credit with them so I could get it for almost free.

Snakesig123.gif
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    DAoC was amazing in its time, but I definitely think GW2's pvp is going to be better. There are so many synergistic relationships between traits/utilities/weapon skills that only players that work to learn will utilize to their maximum ability, and good use of all your abilities and even cross class combos will make a big difference in fights.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular

Doesn't support Opera. Doesn't support IE (really?). And the order won't go through on Firefox. I'm fairly confused.

It sounds like the trouble is, unfortunately, on your end. It's not the fault of the site, and you may want to try and have issues like this resolved before flinging blame around.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Worked flawlessly for me. Bought with Visa, took me straight to account registration and tied it to my GW1 account all in one set of easy steps.

You might want to try again a bit later on?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I did it without issue on FF, and IE (9) seems to work for me (can't completely tell as I don't want to go through a purchasing process again). Not sure why they would exclude Opera since there should no additional work if it was coded for the other browsers properly. Sounds like there's something up with your PC.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    One thing I dont understand about the dot conditions. In gw, it was governed by the pips / regeneration degeneration system, so all conditions doing dot were regulated and stacked to a cap. But it was all on a scale that never changed (-2 health per sec per pip).
    In gw 2 though, there is the conditon damage stat, and by reading skills each ability has its own damage for the same condition. So how will it handle multiple sources of a dot condition with different damage rates? For instance, if one burning (with stacks in duration) does 500 per sec, and another 1000 per sec gets applied, does the 500 per sec ti k untill completion then the 1000 per sec ticks?

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

I don't see how them staying up all night when the servers went live Tuesday at midnight in order to try and keep the servers up for the initial rush and fixing bugs live during that rush makes them unprofessional. Just because there still might be some bugs doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    I just preordered/prepurchased the CE from Gamestop.com.. $35 bucks for shipping :(
    Rednaz wrote: »

I don't see how them staying up all night when the servers went live Tuesday at midnight in order to try and keep the servers up for the initial rush and fixing bugs live during that rush makes them unprofessional. Just because there still might be some bugs doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

I think they should have separated the emailing of codes and the prepurchasing though. Something like open for 1 week of prepurchases before codes go out. This would allow them to gauge the incoming load much better, and give them more time to bring up their forums etc. It's not like the beta happens this weekend anyway, so there's plenty of time for everyone.

Really though, the only concern I've seen so far about this is for players that have a Guild Wars 1 account with a non-existent/invalid email address as the login, because any forum verification email gets sent into a black hole. Unfortunately I'm one of them, but here's hoping ANet will fix this before I do the registration.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    DAoC was amazing in its time, but I definitely think GW2's pvp is going to be better. There are so many synergistic relationships between traits/utilities/weapon skills that only players that work to learn will utilize to their maximum ability, and good use of all your abilities and even cross class combos will make a big difference in fights.

I don't think cross class combos will be as plentiful nor devastating as your or anyone else has been led to believe. I will be ecstatic if they are plentiful, and powerful, but I just don't think MMOs are built to support that type of gameplay. If they are, then people would feel forced to play certain classes/archtypes to get those class combo's running, and that kind of goes against what ArenaNet is trying to do. They'll mostly be visual effects and damage type changes I think.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »

It sounds like the trouble is, unfortunately, on your end. It's not the fault of the site, and you may want to try and have issues like this resolved before flinging blame around.

GW2 preorder site does not support IE8. This is not an end user problem. If you have windows xp and use internet explorer you cannot upgrade to ie9 and must use chrome/firefox instead. This type of problem is an arenanet problem, as getting the preorder site to work in ie8 should not be a problem.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Draygo wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

GW2 preorder site does not support IE8. This is not an end user problem. If you have windows xp and use internet explorer you cannot upgrade to ie9 and must use chrome/firefox instead. This type of problem is an arenanet problem, as getting the preorder site to work in ie8 should not be a problem.

Arenanet doesn't always support old versions of Windows. XP not updating their web browser on old OS's isn't Arenanet's fault, is it? That's just a thing that's going to happen. If you're still running XP, that's your problem. They also don't support 3.1 or Windows 98.

Seriously, though, this allows them to have better security on the site.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolf

The minimum requirements for the game is currently Windows XP SP2. If you want to continue with your silly goosery over a completely valid complaint, have at it.

It would be in ArenaNet's interest to support IE8 so people can buy the game with that browser. I would point this to being a bug. I'm sure they intend to support IE8. Keep in mind everything else on arenanet and guildwars2.com works in IE8. Hom.guildwars2.com is ie8 compatable. register.guildwars2.com is ie 8 compatible. buy.guildwars2.com is not.

Draygo on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm a frothing, raving fanboi over GW2, but I'm not going to step so far as to say Arenanet should get a pass for not making sure their pre-order site supports most commonly used browsers, regardless of how "current" they are. My version of IE didn't work, but I was lucking enough to have a Chrome installed somewhere in the bowels of my machine, which I was able to use. Had I not, I would've been pretty pissed off, too, not being able to use the Internets to give someone my money.

The point about the pre-buy site not working on A LOT of browsers is extremely valid.

By the way, GW2 is going to be awesome. So awesome.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I think the fact that its come to arguing about their pre-order website means that they're doing it right.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I just sent my question to regular guild wars support. is that going to get me anywhere?

Also:

CROSS CLASS STUFF:
    Buddies wrote: »

I don't think cross class combos will be as plentiful nor devastating as your or anyone else has been led to believe. I will be ecstatic if they are plentiful, and powerful, but I just don't think MMOs are built to support that type of gameplay. If they are, then people would feel forced to play certain classes/archtypes to get those class combo's running, and that kind of goes against what ArenaNet is trying to do. They'll mostly be visual effects and damage type changes I think.

I'm not sure why they couldn't be strong or wouldn't work in an MMO. Hell look at FFXI. The combat system was built entirely around class combos. And given that to make the combo you built the COMBO AROUND THE TEAM not the team around the combo. Now this is just an example but it shows how it can be well and effectively implemented into an MMO.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Guys, I'm a frothing, raving fanboi over GW2, but I'm not going to step so far as to say Arenanet should get a pass for not making sure their pre-order site supports most commonly used browsers, regardless of how "current" they are. My version of IE didn't work, but I was lucking enough to have a Chrome installed somewhere in the bowels of my machine, which I was able to use. Had I not, I would've been pretty pissed off, too, not being able to use the Internets to give someone my money.

The point about the pre-buy site not working on A LOT of browsers is extremely valid.

Google Chrome worked, thank you. I also have no idea why I have that installed.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I just sent my question to regular guild wars support. is that going to get me anywhere?

Also:

CROSS CLASS STUFF:

I'm not sure why they couldn't be strong or wouldn't work in an MMO. Hell look at FFXI. The combat system was built entirely around class combos. And given that to make the combo you built the COMBO AROUND THE TEAM not the team around the combo. Now this is just an example but it shows how it can be well and effectively implemented into an MMO.

No. you need to send that inquery to http://support.guildwars2.com

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »

Also:

CROSS CLASS STUFF:

No. you need to send that inquery to http://support.guildwars2.com

Thank you!

Dunno why I couldn't find that.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    If the great dreaming tree is voiced, I really want the guy who did Audrey 2 to do it, but you know, seriously, not for laughs. Though a half male/female thing would actually be interesting. You know, it being a tree.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Google Chrome worked, thank you. I also have no idea why I have that installed.

Google bundles (or at least did bundle) Chrome with a lot of applications, ala the Ask/Yahoo toolbars. Don't know if they still do that, but it seems a possible reason you might have Chrome unexpectedly.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

FFXI was also a group-or-die game of the type GW2 has no interest in being.

• Options

It's not fanboyism for GW2, it's rabid hatred of IE8 users.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I'm not comparing the games but a single mechanic so that really has nothing to do with this. I specifically noted building combos around the team. I even put it in caps so it was difficult to miss.....

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You realize for a vast amount of people, a browser is just an icon...us pleabians don't know the difference as long as the icon on our desktop takes us to the same Interwebz. And Anet should be aware of that.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Using IE to browse the internet feels to me like rummaging around in a bin full of discarded needles behind a hospital.

It's totally irrational, I know, but since using Firefox however many years ago, I've never wanted to go back.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I'm not comparing the games but a single mechanic so that really has nothing to do with this. I specifically noted building combos around the team. I even put it in caps so it was difficult to miss.....

It doesn't really matter. Combos being a big deal under any format forces grouping, the opposite of the game's intent.

Plus, building your combo around your team just reinforces homogenization. It's the only way it's actually balanced.

shryke on
  • Options
    My primary browser is Opera. It didn't work. I was expressing my surprise that IE didn't work because that's the majority of Internet users' default.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I use Safari on my Mac and Firefox on my PC. I uninstalled IE from my new computer day one and replaced it with Firefox.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

It doesn't really matter. Combos being a big deal under any format forces grouping, the opposite of the game's intent.

Plus, building your combo around your team just reinforces homogenization. It's the only way it's actually balanced.

But it doesn't force grouping outside of the already in place grouping that there is. Are you going to solo all the dungeons in the game? No. So... grouping is a part of the game. Are you going to win every 1v5 you run into in PvP? Again NO. Their vision is not forcing the MAKEUP of the groups. So this point, again, has no effect on combos.

As to your second point, it only reinforces homogenization through balance as much as trying to balance classes individually does. Different classes already do different things and if they aren't in a group with you... you no longer have access to those boons. How is this different than having combos based on your composition?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You realize for a vast amount of people, a browser is just an icon...us pleabians don't know the difference as long as the icon on our desktop takes us to the same Interwebz. And Anet should be aware of that.

Oh, absolutely. But people who use IE8 constantly bitch when their browser isn't compatible with things. No shit, you're using an old, unsupported piece of shit. Upgrade your software.

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    LOL I do IT in schools and the upgrade to IE8 was fairly recent :)

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If the great dreaming tree is voiced, I really want the guy who did Audrey 2 to do it, but you know, seriously, not for laughs. Though a half male/female thing would actually be interesting. You know, it being a tree.

Levi Stubbs. :D When the documentation we've seen so far has referred to the Pale Tree with gendered pronouns it's been female, though obviously that is no obstacle to Levi Stubbs voicing her. I think I'd prefer that she communicate nonvocally if she's a significant presence in the sylvari personal story, like she does in that short story from sylvari week.

• Options

I didn't say they would be devastating, I said they would add an element that makes a better played pvp team have an advantage over a lesser team.

As for playing certain classes, that's not the case, because the cross class stuff isn't based on abilities, it's based on attack types. Like this skill puts down a field, and you can finish it with a projectile or a burst or whatever, and every class has access to different ones, so it's not like you need a specific class to pull them off. There might be different ones for different classes, and I don't think anybody is expecting them to be like a huge thing, but it's all the small things that add up to make a more effective team.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Guys. I just wrote a new browser program and it is not supported.

/unfriend GW2

You can argue about the fact that they don't support it, or you can, you know, take like 2 minutes to install Firefox, pre-order, link your GW1 account, and uninstall it.

Congrats.

• Options
    Chrome worked fine for me on my pre-purchases, and is the only browser besides firefox I would use anyway.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    I can't wait until the game comes out and I actually care about the arguments in here, like, at all

This discussion has been closed.