As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Cerebella is an amazing battery character because Cere-copter (DP+H) is broken. That thing builds up 30% meter on hit or block and you can combo into it from Lock N Load. Merry Go-Rilla is also broken as heck because Cerebella has easy OTG combos.

In other words: Cerebella is S-Tier. Peacock is right behind her because holy shit, you can bullet hell the screen and if the opponent's approaching, a Hard Porthole brings you to safety.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Double, Marie, and a town called Little Innsmouth.

I think the devs like H.P. Lovecraft guyz. Maybe.

You forgot they're "Dagonians" too. Likely a Lovecraft reference, much more so than a Biblical/Mythology one at least, given everything else.

But, it's hardly just that. From the Dreamcast and MAS stick references in Double's ending to the Lovecraft stuff to all of this, and probably even more.

Something easy that comes to mind is the Ask Dr. Sub-Zero/John D.("Dangerous") Rockefeller laugh for a "happy birthday" (killing more than one character at once) and whatever sound byte they use of John's for the super high damage and/or combo noise. Didn't see those listed in the link.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Omg...

MARIE IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

Cleared Filia's story without too much trouble. Tried Parasoul next but got wrecked by Ms Fortune, so i tried the arcade mode with a Filia/Parasoul/Valentine team

Was absolutely wrecking shit... Then I got to Marie... I can get her down to her final form/last sliver of health, despite her bullshit attacks, but then i cant even get near her. I try to save Valentine for last since i can do some good combos with her kinda easily for some reason, but shes dead within seconds... My whole team is.

so frustrating

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I asked this a while back but ended up BOTP, but will we ever see a PC release? And by PC, I of course mean Steam.

Also, AI Seth was as dumb as bricks.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I asked this a while back but ended up BOTP, but will we ever see a PC release? And by PC, I of course mean Steam.

Mike Z has done nothing but say "It's possible, but no one knows at the moment. Don't expect one, but don't count one totally out of the picture" for the past year or two at this point.

Unless things have changed recently, don't expect one anytime soon. Possibly best to not expect one at all if this doesn't sell well.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I can't find the movelist in the game. Could someone point me to it? Or do I really need to use the website for this stuff?

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    While playing the demo, the characters quite often turned into a mass of green squares which I can only assume are hitboxes to stand in for missing animation. Has this happened to anyone else?

I saw that too. Yes, you turn on those hitboxes in Training mode. I don't know why they showed up somewhere else.

Is this a problem with the full game, too? With how nice this game usually looks, the disappearing animation thing is pretty distracting.

edited April 2012
    Column wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »

Mike Z has done nothing but say "It's possible, but no one knows at the moment. Don't expect one, but don't count one totally out of the picture" for the past year or two at this point.

Unless things have changed recently, don't expect one anytime soon. Possibly best to not expect one at all if this doesn't sell well.

Thing is though, once it ends up on Steam, it'll probably sell by the bucketload.

I know what it's like, once it goes on sale for 50% off, everybody will buy it. Regardless of what it is, when it goes on sale, people will buy it.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While playing the demo, the characters quite often turned into a mass of green squares which I can only assume are hitboxes to stand in for missing animation. Has this happened to anyone else?

I saw that too. Yes, you turn on those hitboxes in Training mode. I don't know why they showed up somewhere else.

Is this a problem with the full game, too? With how nice this game usually looks, the disappearing animation thing is pretty distracting.

I saw it in the whole thing. I've only seen it happen to Peacock once.

Reviews are mostly high except for the occasional "herpaderp what is this melon festival" tripe.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Ohhhh shit! Parasoul has 3 blockbuster moves?! I assume everyone does?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    still haven't tried every character. lets go into training mode

Column wrote: »
    Double, Marie, and a town called Little Innsmouth.

I think the devs like H.P. Lovecraft guyz. Maybe.

You forgot they're "Dagonians" too. Likely a Lovecraft reference, much more so than a Biblical/Mythology one at least, given everything else.

But, it's hardly just that. From the Dreamcast and MAS stick references in Double's ending to the Lovecraft stuff to all of this, and probably even more.

Something easy that comes to mind is the Ask Dr. Sub-Zero/John D.("Dangerous") Rockefeller laugh for a "happy birthday" (killing more than one character at once) and whatever sound byte they use of John's for the super high damage and/or combo noise. Didn't see those listed in the link.

I knew the game was packed with in-jokes, but I definitely didn't catch all of them. Most of the anime ones are obscure to me because I'm simply not educated on all of them out there. Most of these are just so awesome to be in the game. It's a lot like Deadpool's fourth-wall referencing, only just about everything in this game is fourth-wall.

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    This game feels really weird. Like... Marvel running at Street Fighter speed. There's all this craziness with big combos and characters going in and out (like Marvel), but the movement feels a lot stiffer and more deliberate (like Street Fighter). I don't think it's bad or anything, just... super weird feeling.

I've only been following this game in passing, so forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. Is there any chance of this making its way to the PC? I remember seeing or hearing some rumors to that affect a while back, and I was wondering if there was any there was any credence to 'em now that the game is actually out.

I agree about the weirdness. I was definitely thrown off by the game's feel initially.

As far as PC, it hasn't been announced but chances are if they can release it they will.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I really wish they would bring more fighting games over to PC/Steam specifically, I enjoy being able to chat with people.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    I can't find the movelist in the game. Could someone point me to it? Or do I really need to use the website for this stuff?

Its not in the game. Might be patched later.

This is not a joke post.

Go to either the skullgirls website or the SRK wiki.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Turkey wrote: »

Its not in the game. Might be patched later.

This is not a joke post.

Go to either the skullgirls website or the SRK wiki.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

Solved my Marie problem. Put Cerebella on my team, get in close, hold down/back and spam her c.hp move.

Also, lawls... Tried playing online. Opponent was Parasoul, two rounds of one continuous combo. I couldnt do anything...

• ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Picked this up today after following the press and development notes. I have to say I'm loving the presentation and overall feel of the game. It's pretty combo-friendly without the super fast pacing of MVC3. It almost feels like a weird Melty Blood/BlazBlue/Bleach DS hybrid with super stylized artwork. My favorite on the roster so far is Valentine. Her moves seem very offense and rushdown based and I like her ability to mix it up with ailments and such. As noted above, sweet Jesus is the story boss hard. I tried it with Ms. Fortune and could not finish the final form. I've heard it's not as bad with the other characters but damn. That was some frustrating stuff that will take some time.

Still loving the game. Hopefully more characters will be coming.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    The guides from the main site should probably be added to the OP. The in-game link is incorrect, which is trivial but annoying.
    Arcade

PS3

steam_sig.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Anyone want to fight for a little bit?

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I just picked up a new arcade stick, downloading BlazeBlue right now but as soon as that is done I am gonna grab skullgirls. I also have MvC3. I have SSFIV for it's for Steam.

pxlstorm if you want to add me, just make sure to tell me who you are. SSX got me a lot of spam.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • RavidrathRavidrath Designer / Community Manager Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whoa, this thread blew up!

Let me address a few of the things I'm seeing in here...

European and Australia/New Zealand PSN Release
    We're very sorry that it's not available outside of North America on PSN yet, but this is out of our control and completely up to SCEE at this point. Current indications are that it should be out by the end of the month.

Move List
    Unfortunately we ran out of time and were not able to get this in for release. It will be in the first real patch, and is not dependent on sales like Mike said somewhere.

360 Load Times
    This one snuck up on us, because something about MS's package encryption slows our loading down considerably. Since you don't actually start packing and encrypting games until the very end, by the time we learned about it it was too late to address it. We think we can improve this with a patch, but it's unknown how long it will take because, well, fundamentally altering your data retrieval routines comes with a high degree of risk.

We've been doing some polling on forums, and it's also widely disparate between people. Some people are reporting loads in 4-5 seconds, while others are multiples of that. Since development is usually done on empty HDDs and we didn't experience it, the going theory is that the game is highly sensitive to HDD fragmentation.

Be sure that your game is installed to the HDD, BTW - flash drives and the internal 4GB of storage are significantly slower.

Blinking Characters
    Related to the loading issues, sometimes characters will disappear for a short period of time and show only as hitboxes. This is because gameplay had to continue before the game finished streaming and decompressing the animation in. Due to the general loading situation on 360, this is happening a lot more on that system, and hopefully it will improve if we are able to improve load times in a patch.

Training Room Options
    Again, we ran out of time before we could implement all of the training room options we wanted. We will definitely expand on these in updates, but these are lower priority than the Move List and Load Times. Among the features we are planning, though, are basically everything you see in other games, as well as and the ability to invite an online friend into your room to join you.

Ravidrath on
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    What assists are people using? I've had better luck with solo Peacock than Peacock/Fortune, but when I use them both I give Peacock HP. It's and close hit and a projectile, so it's versatile for team stuff. It seems good for alpha counters, since you can cancel it into specials. I've been using Ms. Fortune's HK, but I feel like I could be using something better.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i beat peacock's story mode but i still don't have the 10th color palette, how do i get it?

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    i beat peacock's story mode but i still don't have the 10th color palette, how do i get it?

Color palette 10 is a super mystery color palette and apparently needs some community effort to figure out.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    oh, dang okay. it's the black and white old cartoon looking one, it's pretty amazing looking

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ravidrath wrote: »
    Be sure that your game is installed to the HDD, BTW - flash drives and the internal 4GB of storage are significantly slower.

I'm glad you posted that. Traditionally, I keep my XBLA games on a memory stick, but if the game is already taking upwards of 20 seconds to load from the HDD ... Yeah ...

Unrelated, but after getting the full game, I am now full supportive that the trial version of the game needs the chapter 1 training unlocked, and all the other chapters locked. Ch1 gives an understanding of the fundamental systems in place in this game, which would have made the trial significantly more enjoyable and playable. If you guys can change this as well, I think it would be very wise to do it.

And I'm glad to have seen someone else post it, but what's the deal with Ms.Fortune being so much more difficult than other AI characters? The first time I did story mode, she absolutely wrecked me 10 times before I managed to scrape by, and then I had no trouble with anything up until Marie.

Re: Assists

I've been using Cere's Copter for close-up shenanigans and crazy chip damage if the opponent blocks. Peacock's usually George at the Airshow because I tend to have Cere on point who has great ground game, so that assist is mainly to control airspace and keep my opponent grounded for command grabs.

I'm trying to learn Double but when she's not on point, I use Hornet Bomber because R. Mika, right? Problem with that is if Cere's on point, it moves the opponent away from my biggest damage range, but I'm probably blocking if I call Double so it's an easy set up for her charge. If Peacock's on point, I can call her shadow drop into Argus Agony or 3-hit Bang into Argus Agony.

The Parasoul palette/costume you get by selecting her with lk is best Parasoul.Also, the tutorial in Skullgirls is best fighting game tutorial. I played through a bunch of Arcade last night, and only need to beat Painwheel and Parasoul's story mode(then unlocking Valentine and then Double).

This game is so great, I haven't sat and played a fighting game for more than an hour in such a long time, I actually learned things from the tutorial, and I'm somewhat competant against the AI. I cannot get past Ms Fortune with Parasoul though...

What's the input for Parasoul's gun? I know she has one cause the AI shoots at me all the time, but the only move I know how to do the the napalm mine thing.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can anyone tell me how to find a stick modder in my area? I'm a coder, not a solder.

I remain firmly with the belief that the if there is a Steam version, the Steam version will eventually surpass the console versions over time. I'd like my 360 TE to work on Ps3, and eventually PC.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Also, what are the unlock requirements for these achievements? I mean, theres the one for beating story mode with everyone, and completing the tutorial. But the others seem to be character specific. Like, "Instant Hair Dash" I'm assuming is tied to Filia. Is it just "win X amount of times" with her or something?

• BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    @Ravidrath So good to hear all that, especially concerning the movelist.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

1. Any word on your DLC schedule, or is it purely a "when it's done" kind of thing? Really interested in the art gallery that's suggested in the Extras section.

2. Any hints on how to unlock color palettes? Playing through arcade and story mode only unlocked one each, and I'm hearing all sorts of rumors thrown around about how to unlock the other two. If anyone else knows how, please chime in.

3. Are you still putting fanart up on your site? I imagine you guys will be flooded with it soon, but my artist wants to send you guys something.

Can anyone tell me how to find a stick modder in my area? I'm a coder, not a solder.

I remain firmly with the belief that the if there is a Steam version, the Steam version will eventually surpass the console versions over time. I'd like my 360 TE to work on Ps3, and eventually PC.

You could try asking in the MvC or SFxT threads, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Or the general fighting games thread over in SE++.

steam_sig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

try the SRK tech-talk subforum. I believe there's a sticky thread for local modders.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Training Room Options
    Again, we ran out of time before we could implement all of the training room options we wanted. We will definitely expand on these in updates, but these are lower priority than the Move List and Load Times. Among the features we are planning, though, are basically everything you see in other games, as well as and the ability to invite an online friend into your room to join you.

@Ravidrath This is probably the most disappointing part to me. I love me some training mode.

In any case thanks for taking the time to address our concerns! So far I'm loving the game.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    I seriously see no problem with the art. The cutscene images have a really sketchy look (intentional I'm sure but I still kind of wish it was cleaned up a bit more), but the characters are insanely expressive and move beautifully. As a fan of animation, this game is a fucking dream.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I really dig the art-style in this game. The modern Street Fighter art-style is the only one I prefer to it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The art is absolutely gorgeous.

I haven't seen a game with this good of 2d sprite work since...

Ever.

This game is drop dead gorgeous.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, I'm not very good at fighting games and even on Sleepwalk mode I get in maybe one hit before getting juggled to death in story mode (I do a bit better in Arcade, but still can't win a fight). Is this game specifically only for enthusiasts, or is there a way to learn how to play this game without rage quitting all the time? :P

EDIT: The last fighting game I played regularly was KI Gold on the N64 and I loved that game. I was also pretty good at Jago and could beat the game pretty handily on it's normal difficulty.

I played a bit of DOA 2 on the PS2, did all right. Absolutely nothing since. Certainly nothing that felt this hostile to not-great players.

Nova_C on