As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    And I just read that you opted to forego army painter bone spray? I was gonna say, spray em bone and then either jackbone or skull white drybrush...

closeenough.png?1317606898

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The bone spray is lighter than Jack Bone. I will however use Army Painters Fur Brown spray, which is close enough to my basecoat of Vermin Brown. That skips at least one of the two hand basecoats I do.

I keep thinking of it from a TK standpoint, VC skellies are probably a lot less trivial to paint (and look a lot better as a result in my opinion).

Pics!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, the average of bone on most VC skeletson is like... 50% of the model? They have a huge amount of cloth and armour scraps hanging off them, as well as helmets and such. Some of them have basically nothing, so they're just walking skeletons, but then some are nearly 100% covered up by armour and clothes. So yeah, not a huge amount of bone on average.

I'm actually pretty comfortable paitning them like I do now, in batches of 5. Small enough amount that I can take time, simple enough technique that I can still do them quickly (prime black, base the bone Vermin Brown, Base again Jack Bone, drybrush white, fill in clothes and wood whatever colour I want that batch, paint leathers and metallics, Devlan Magic).

I'm actually going back over my original 10 and doing some additional details, like relayering the colours a bit and trying out J's rust effect.

Still... 100 skeletons, not including Grave Guard. Ugh.

-Loki- on
    Yeah, I guess VC skellies are also whiter usually than their TK counterparts.

Let us know how J's rust effect works out, I'd love to see a tutorial with step by steps (from either of you)

My first attempt didn't come out too well. But I have a lot of these fuckers to try it on.

When I was last in GW, I realized I still hadn't bought the new VC book. So I had a gander at some of the stuff in there. Fuck me Krell is a beast now. He's like T5, W4, with armour giving him a pretty awesome save, weilding a great weapon that causes multiple wounds (D3). I'm kind of annoyed that some of his rules (and thus point cost justification) are based around Heinrich Kemmler being in the same army (and unit), since I'm not fond of Kemmler. At least, not his model.

edited April 2012
    Check out the new Empire witch hunter; he could be a decent Kemmler if you can make him less puffy:
    m2350627a_99800202004_WitchHunterCFC01_445x319.jpg

mr_mich on
    I was considering just using the plastic Necromancer as Kemmler. Just saying hey, that's my Necromancer, who killed Kemmler and took Krell for himself. Just usin' Kemmlers rules.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    God that dude looks baller.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    His rules are fun, but I'm not sure how effective he'd be...killing blow with ranged/cc attacks, declare a model as a Heretic and get rerolls (ranged/cc) to hit, reroll to wound against Undead.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Don't forget MR2, and he's only 50 points.

MR is stupid, it doesn't even protect you from miscasts.

mr_mich wrote: »
    MR is stupid, it doesn't even protect you from miscasts.

Is... is this sarcasm?

Yeah; we discussed on the FAQ ruling on the last page about MR and whether or not it protects you from miscasts :)

Oh, I know. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't gone crazy on me.

After buying the VC book and reading Kemmlers fluff, I rather like the character now. I might have to grab him and Krell after I get all my core.

Here's a weird thing I noticed in the rulebook (p48):
    Models in base contact with one or more of enemies strike a number of blows equal to their Attacks characteristic.

Does that mean that if my Chaos Warriors get charged in the flank, the Warriors fighting to their flank get both attacks?

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    yeah, cause they now make up the "front" rank even if its to the side, though I don't think the guys behind them would get another attack.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hey, while we're at it, has anyone tracked this down? When you turn (say, through a combat reform) do you now change your frontage and get rank bonus back? Every time I've tried to track an answer down I haven't been able to find anything. This would be a pretty big change.

snm_sig.jpg
    Sometimes I want to start a dwarf army. I would have slayers and everything.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Don't do it! They're really dull

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Yeah, I wanted to make a Dwarf army for a while. When I seriously went and looked at the army... ugh. They couldn't have made them more boring if they tried.

Fuck you guys Dwarfs own. Slayers are the coolest fucking thing about WHF

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    Skaven are the coolest fucking thing about WHF

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Having an army in 40k with no psykers works. Having an army in FB with no magic doesn't.

Though if you want 1000pts of dwarfs that are barely painted...

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    They really ought to give dwarfs something to do during the magic phase. And maybe even the movement phase to. If they're feeling crazy.

The homogeneity of dwarf troops is a little weird too. They don't have much going on in the way of variety.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Hey, while we're at it, has anyone tracked this down? When you turn (say, through a combat reform) do you now change your frontage and get rank bonus back? Every time I've tried to track an answer down I haven't been able to find anything. This would be a pretty big change.

It's not explicit. Once you turn, however, you no longer have anyone attacking your flank, and thus there is no disruption, so your rank bonus returns.

why are you smelling it?
    I think that's correct.

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    That's how I was reading it too. Such a huge change!

snm_sig.jpg
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    I guess I should post in this thread too, since they also have custom movement trays for $4

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101466427/tectonic-craft-studios-new-line-of-war-games-terra

Custom movement trays for $4?
    4f2c40baa5522.jpg

$3 for 10 custom bases?

4f4662e7073cb.jpg

$3 for an objective marker?
    4f2c446fb9c2b.jpg

$5 for a highly detailed battle accessory like a trench or a fence or a large sundial?

4f2c374c811b9.jpg

$25 for a city ruins kit?

4f2c3a3a7e6b8.jpg

$30 FOR A COMPLETE BUILDING ?!

4f2c33e8c47ac.jpg

BY THE EMPEROR THERE IS STILL TIME LEFT! GO GO GO GO!

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    So, how small of a friendly game would you say it's a dick move to take Chaos Knights? Legally, they can only be taken in 800+ point games. Do you think it's a dick move to expect someone to have an answer to them in a game that small?

I wouldn't call it a dick move.

They're expensive, eat up a lot of your small point limit, and a nice ol spell can wipe the unit out in one hit.

I'll shill a bit on this. They're pretty awesome looking and well made. Saw em at Pax blah blah fund it.

edited April 2012
    Putting together a 2000 point VC list, and I just can't get it right.

Core is 2 units of 50 skeletons, backed up by 20 Grave Guard with great weapons and a Varghulf. Level 4 caster Vampire Lord sits in a Skeleton unit, fighter Vampire sits in the Grave Guard, level 2 Necromancer and Banshee sit in the other Skeleton unit. Varghulf runs a flank and kills shit. I'm just over 100 points short, and the only thing I can think of is bulking the Grave Guard up to 30.

I just can't seem to bulk up hitting power without sacrificing core or characters, both of which are pretty important in VC. Is this a common issue at 2000pts?

-Loki- on
    I know nothing about Vampires and have not played Fantasy in about a year but 20 seems a little light for a fighty unit.

edited April 2012
    The idea is 3 ranks of 7, with the fighter vampire making up the last spot. Any casualties they lose on the way get replenished by 3 casters throwing out Invocations. I've actually had this formation recommended a few times.

I also tweaked it and managed to fit in 5 Black Knights as a counter charge unit.

-Loki- on
    Oh yeah, invocations

It's usually got a BSB Wight King in it, but I just can't find the room at 2000pts. Also, with the loss of the Drakenhof banner, Wight King BSBs lost a bit of importance.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man I want to start WHFB. Not until I get another 56 points of Warmachine painted!

Finally settled on my army.
    Lord
    Vampire Lord (heavy armour, Talisman of Preservation, dispel scroll, level 4 wizard)

Heroes
    Vampire (Sword of Swift Slaying, Red Fury, heavy armour, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone)
    Necromancer (level 2 wizard)
    Banshee

Core
    49 Skeletons (full command)
    48 Skeletons (full command)

Special
    20 Grave Guard (full command, great weapons, Banner of the Barrows)
    5 Black Knights (full command, lances, barding)

Rare
    Varghulf

General idea - vampire hero sits with the Grave Guard and hammers an enemy unit. Sitting on T4 with heavy armour and invocations coming from 2 Vampires and a Necromancer means they should stay up. Two blocks of Skeletons are the main battleline. There's plenty of them to last in combat, and the Vampire Lord, while lackign a magic weapon, should be able to do plenty of killing, and the Banshee can scream all day in combat for additional hitting power for whatever regiment the Lord isn't in (the banshee will basically be the Necromancers bodyguard). Black Knights will be a counter charge unit. Something hard charges a unit, they flank charge it. The Varghulf runs a flank and generally makes a nuisance of itself.

My main concern is my Lord. I'm sinking a lot of points into it, and at 2000 points, I don't know if I need a level 4 caster when I have another level 1 and level 2. If I dropped it to level 2, I could make it a beast in combat, but again, I'm then lacking a truly powerful caster. I'm just not sure if that's needed at 2000pts.

This discussion has been closed.