As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Bear in mind the matchmaking is different for this season and you can play against higher level opponents potentially - if you beat them you'lll be promoted quicker.

Wait, did I miss something? Did they change the matchmaking system?

They loosened up the matchmaking requirements a bit so you'll be playing people slightly better and slightly worse than you now, rather than always playing people at the exact same level.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Bear in mind the matchmaking is different for this season and you can play against higher level opponents potentially - if you beat them you'lll be promoted quicker.

They loosened up the matchmaking requirements a bit so you'll be playing people slightly better and slightly worse than you now, rather than always playing people at the exact same level.

Interesting. I wonder if they did that because the active community is getting smaller and they're worried about the time it takes to find a match.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    The one thing thats obvious from this summary of "HotS in development" is that its still not worth speculating at all.

If the units have changed this much internally, you can bet they'll change this much and more by beta, and even more by release.

i agree with this completely. it was asontishing (not in a good way) what they annouced back at blizzcon, it comes as no surprised that the majority of units and abilities have changed, and the stated reasons are still suspect.

I put the over under at 3 being the number of units that were originally announced at blizzcon making it through beta. I'd go so far to say that there will be these few units, but they will be massively changed from what they are now, even if they're called the same.

It really sounds like they're incredibly early in the design process, and needed to create some press to keep peoples interest.

Interesting. I wonder if they did that because the active community is getting smaller and they're worried about the time it takes to find a match.

could be, they could also be finding that the groupings are overly sticky, but your explanation makes as much sense as any. As I write this, there are 339 players in public channels and 7279 games in my region.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular

I don't think 1v1 MM anywhere but tip-top GM had problems with excessive wait times. I think the major effect of this is to reduce ladder anxiety by giving people more variety in their games. Don't know if it'll have that effect though.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    astonishing! that they would look to keep fans interest by making announcements at their once a year show. whatever were they thinking?!?!?!

I really don't feel comfortable in tvt doing anything but mech, I am just so comfortable with the opening I use that going another direction leaves me feeling vulnerable. some maps it's just so damn hard though.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Kambing wrote: »

I don't think 1v1 MM anywhere but tip-top GM had problems with excessive wait times. I think the major effect of this is to reduce ladder anxiety by giving people more variety in their games. Don't know if it'll have that effect though.

could be that as well... although usually you find yourself with strings of easy games, and then strings of 0-10....

who knows, it could simply be a psych ploy and they didnt change it at all

Variable wrote: »
    astonishing! that they would look to keep fans interest by making announcements at their once a year show. whatever were they thinking?!?!?!

Probably that giving once a year updates wasn't enough, so they'll double the fictional announcements!

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    And all is right with the world again. Quit playing with my emotions Blizzard!
    again.jpg

haha. That didn't take long

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I really don't feel comfortable in tvt doing anything but mech, I am just so comfortable with the opening I use that going another direction leaves me feeling vulnerable. some maps it's just so damn hard though.

I feel the same way about FE into Marine/Tank, I'd be so lost trying to 1-1-1 into Mech and balance gas income.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My mech build starts as a tvz reactor hellion opening

Had a little discussion with a group of starcraft guys on facebook. They don't like the swarm host because they think it's a lazy solution to the zerg siege issue. Instead they want the lurker back. Anyone else see the irony in that?

• RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    i think people want the lurker back because it's the lurker

and the lurker was just a really cool unit and stuff

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Swarm dude looks kinda fun.

• RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Swarm dude looks kinda fun.

honestly, he looks like the coolest unit to me. Both because he feels very "zergy" and fits right into the flavor of the zerg race.

also now i can siege those dirty terrans back

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/NASL.tv

Bitterdam casting Day 1 NASL

Puma v Zenio
    Haypro v Cloud
    Nightend v Brat Ok
    TT1 v Stephano

TannerMS on
    TannerMS wrote: »
    TT1 v Stephano

Oh god. That shit-stomping will be so fierce.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm not really sure how the swarm host is going to work.

The video indicated that you can siege a Terran position and slowly wear them down.

But in that video, I bet they calculated precisely how many defenders to have.

If they'd had one or two extra siege tanks defending that position that they demonstrated, the swarmers would die before they reached the bunkers, and no harm done.

It seems like there will be a line between having enough defenders to just obliterate the swarmers before they can do any damage, and not having enough defenders.

If you don't have enough defending units to be able to easily wipe out the swarmer units themselves, how are you supposed to ever be able to get out there and actually deal with the hosts, with the army they'll undoubtedly have to support? In that scenario, how do you break out?

Dhalphir on
    The thing is that swarm hosts don't seem very interesting. They create units for free, that's about it. Zerglings constantly sent in waves into your opponent would accomplish exactly the same thing as the swarmers, except that the swarmers are free.

That's boring as fuck. The lurker, at least, was interesting.

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    I'm still quite skeptical about the swarm host. While the idea is cool, its rate of fire is so slow you'll never use it in army vs army battles, its projectiles have to follow a clear path so can't shoot up/down cliffs, and projectiles can be killed en route so damage isn't even guaranteed. I see them much more as solely an "annoyance", and not an actual threat. But we'll see, won't we.

Going live: zerg lessons with RedOne.

• mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I like the overall concept of the unit, a long range siege unit that can slowly wear down defensive positions, but I'm not sure that spawning units is the best implementation of it. Having it spawn units rather than just having an attack also limits the ability of the swarm host to control space, which was one of the coolest things about lurkers.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    jeez, zenio

threw his lead away like it was on fire

Exactly! By just creating units, it actually isn't a space controlling unit - It just means that there's a handful more units in that area.

Its fucking stupid. The reason for it to exist is sound. Zerg need a space control unit.

but the swarm host isn't it. Its a retarded unit and needs to go.

I don't see how it's going to control space at all. Those things can't chase anything down. Enemy forces can comfortably walk right past swarm hosts, I think.

TheBog wrote: »
    I don't see how it's going to control space at all. Those things can't chase anything down. Enemy forces can comfortably walk right past swarm hosts, I think.

what i mean is that the reason for them wanting a siege-type unit is sound. Zerg does need SOMETHING. But the Swarm Host doesn't fulfil the role that must be filled.

The thing that really annoys me is this insistence they have on not reusing BW units. The Lurker was an ideal solution to Zerg space control. Models for it already exist in the game. Just fucking put it in, god.

Although, I think that if the Lurker DID get put in, banelings or infestors would have to go. Three powerful ways to deal with the bulk of a Terran army is a little much for one race.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    If the lurker did get put in, it'd be range 3, no splash, and you'd still have to build them from hyrdas.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Although, I think that if the Lurker DID get put in, banelings or infestors would have to go. Three powerful ways to deal with the bulk of a Terran army is a little much for one race.

This is so true. Although, imagine if the Terran player didn't have Siege Tanks in that video. The Swarm Host would have been a lot more effective. Would it force Tanks? Probably not, but you'd definitely have to be on your toes when you know they're about. Hell, combine Swarm Host and Mutas....*shudder*

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    There's no reason for terran not to mech in HotS. Every new thing zerg got so far is anti-bio. Burrow move banelings, burrow charge ultras (with damage changed to +light instead of +armored), blinding cloud. Why go bio. Especially since they're really focusing on making factory play stronger with tanky hellions, and some new long-ranged missile launcher. I dunno.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TheBog wrote: »
    There's no reason for terran not to mech in HotS. Every new thing zerg got so far is anti-bio. Burrow move banelings, burrow charge ultras (with damage changed to +light instead of +armored), blinding cloud. Why go bio. Especially since they're really focusing on making factory play stronger with tanky hellions, and some new long-ranged missile launcher. I dunno.

artosis was right

god help us all

interrobang on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    My mech build starts as a tvz reactor hellion opening

I still use that build, gimme a minute and i'll upload a replay :)

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
    edited April 2012
    I don't get why people are hating on the swarm host so much. I think it's very, VERY important to remember that it spawns units regardless of whether or not an enemy unit is present. This means you can plop a couple down at an area you want to control, like a choke point, and have a cheap little army blocking that path. Or set them down in your base to help against drops. Or put a few outside an expo moments before you attack to build up the forces.

As far as the siege potential, everyone keeps assuming your going to drop them outside of a unit base and then slowly send in units. But if you think of using them like how tanks work, you can let them spawn a couple round of units, send those units in, then leap frog the swarm hosts in and cover them with whatever.

Honestly people keep talking about how interesting the lurker was. It was a unit that attacked while underground. La-dee-da. What's the big deal? Besides, a lurker can't outrange a tank, so it would have the same problem against tanks as the swarm host does.

Whatever the case, don't just completely dismiss the unit just because it's not the lurker. I'm sure people will find many uses for it, like they always do, and then 15 years from now when Starcraft 3 comes out and they replace the swarm host with the infested cowboy, everyone will talk about how cool the swarm host was.

fatalspoons on
    My point is that it doesn't do anything that your units can't do already. Being free units doesn't make it interesting.

• chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @Dhalphir
    You showed me a TvZ, 10 minute marine drop (with stim and cs) that I messed up in this game. I haven't played in a few weeks but the basics are there, sortof

repimg-33-260608.jpg

I haven't played in weeks, so if anyone has any comments it'd be deadly if you gave me some tips. :)

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm just going to burrow some banelings between my swarm dudes and the shit they're shooting at.

Fuck you and your marines.
    My point is that it doesn't do anything that your units can't do already. Being free units doesn't make it interesting.

The range is the up side to it, there's no real good zerg contains pre-blords. Excluding hilarious forward spine antics vs ffe.

815165 on

Free and, more importantly, larvae-less. Being able to conjure a small, never ending army without the use of larvae is the most interesting thing, in my book. But hate if you must, Dhal.

• GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    Wow, I didn't know HotS changed the ultralisk bonus damage to light (I realize this was announced at Blizzcon now). So that'll make them pretty useless against the stalker/colossus army in PvZ (and even less effective against immortals). Though I guess if you're going mass zerlings and the protoss responds with zealots, you'd do pretty well.

I'm not surprised the replicator is gone. It was such a stupid idea...though I must admit I looked forward to replicating some tanks to hold 1/1/1s.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doing my smurf placement matches wooo

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+