As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    What?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bears

Beets

Battlestar Galactica

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glyph wrote:
    Let's be frank here...

*creates a thread on a pseudo-controversial subject attempting to sound profound and posts a cheesy collage of photos to compensate for the lack of substantial discourse*

CptKemzik on
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Glyph wrote:
    Let's be frank here...

*creates a thread on a pseudo-controversial subject attempting to sound profound and posts a cheesy collage of photos to compensate for the lack of substantial discourse*

Play it soft, CptKemzik. Civility is key, or "Nescio quid dicam" as a wise man once told me. *nods sagely*

It's possible the courts will strike down the law, or simply the mandate portion of it despite the court's current penchant for that kind of corporate handout. But even if you assume that's going to happen, it has the potential to turn up more democrat votes to "fight the activist judges". "Conventional wisdom" always seems to label any political occurrence as, "this is bad news...for Obama," but that meme failed to ever be true, and it failed to get McCain elected.

I realize it is a habit among some to repeat a prediction as "fact" in the hopes it will become true, but the presumption that Obamacare is somehow the only thing that will decide Obama's political future is quite wishful indeed.

• GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Oh Kemzik, you read me like a book.
    USA-4-1.jpg

• mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    If the Republican battleground states include Virgina (as in - you actually have to campaign in, and spend money here) you have a shitty road ahead of you. You do not want to be spending time and money on states that prior to 2008 voted republican for 50 years. And the hilarious thing is Romney will still probably lose this state anyway, after all the women's rights issues sprung up up after McDonnell's legislation.

If Roanoke College is to be believed, Romneybot 5000 is now up by 6 in VA.

It's the ONLY poll I've seen with him up.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Personally, I think Roanoke College does a shit job at creating polls because it seems like they never really line up with other polls, unless the others are showing a favorable environment for conservatives.

As for Obamacare, I'm pretty sure that Romney will lose more than Obama if the courts strike any part of it down. First off, the GOP primary has done a good job of making people aware that it and Romneycare are essentially the same thing, so both Obama and Romney would get a black eye in the process. The issue for Romney, and the GOP as a whole, is that one of their platforms, in fact the only one with substance, is to repeal Obama care. Obviously, they still have something to work with if it's only the mandate that gets axed, but people will be less motivated if the courts do the entire repeal or part of it. On the other hand, this may very likely motivate ACA supporters and dems to show up at the polls and vote democrat to ensure they get a Congress that will pass healthcare laws that the courts can't overturn and a executive and legislative branch that will support the placement of judges that are more sympathetic towards progressive views.

I'm all for letting the media pretend this election is close since that will probably motivate more democrats to vote instead of staying at home. The important question outside of who wins in the fall, is what kind of Congress will we have next session and I'm hoping all the BS from the GOP has woken enough people up to the fact that we need to get them the fuck out of Congress.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Why would anyone pay attention to a poll from Roanoke College in the first place?

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I honor of Santorum pulling out, I move that we call it Obamneycare for a day. Let's give Romney the credit he deserves for bringing health insurance to the poor in MA and providing us with a template the nation could follow.

enc0re on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He gets no credit, as he's disavowed it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    adytum wrote: »
    Why would anyone pay attention to a poll from Roanoke College in the first place?

Yeah, it's not like there's anyone there.

• dojangodojango Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm all for letting the media pretend this election is close since that will probably motivate more democrats to vote instead of staying at home. The important question outside of who wins in the fall, is what kind of Congress will we have next session and I'm hoping all the BS from the GOP has woken enough people up to the fact that we need to get them the fuck out of Congress.

probably gonna have a republican senate regardless, so.... look forward to more gridlock than the 405 interchange.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

My guess: Conservative media will literally latch on to anything and has absolutely zero concern w/r/t/ vetted or credible sources.

"Just in: New polling data shows Obama losing in landslide! We'll be live from the source of this game-changing story at the top of the hour, where the Fox News team will bring us more from the polling center here in Tisdale's Bible Academy and Park 'N Rent, Alabama."

Atomika on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

You may have missed my sarcasm. I think at this point Romney hates nothing more than being reminded of the good he's done. Unless, now that we're in the general, he's about to unzip and let the real Willard flip-flop out.

• dojangodojango Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

You may have missed my sarcasm. I think at this point Romney hates nothing more than being reminded of the good he's done. Unless, now that we're in the general, he's about to unzip and let the real Willard flip-flop out.

Yeah, he's been trying to undo that mistake from the day he started running.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • MillMill Registered User regular

Sadly, realclearpolotics includes their shitty polls on their site with the other polls (some of which are also shit). It would be kind of nice if sites like them adopted a rule where if people's polls seem overly bias on a consistent basis, that they'll stop including them. It's not a guarantee that people will get their shit into order because there is always the "it's a conspiracy of the lamestream media" excuse, but some might be a little more honest and it spars everyone else from having their time wasted (assuming they don't buy into the lamestream media thing).

That's why you use fivethirtyeight exclusively.

It's still so bizarre.

In 2008, when the healthcare issue was reaching a fever pitch, Romney was heralded as a genius by the GOP establishment for his healthcare plan. It was the "sensible alternative" to the evil single-payer system the Dems wanted.

There's literally nothing for Romney or the GOP to shy away from here. The GOP fucked themselves so hard when they let Obama spin the ACA as a win for the Left. It wasn't what the Left wanted at all. It was the GOP's baby all along, but when it came out looking a little blacker and more liberal than they wanted, they went straight to Maury and proudly announced, "I am NOT the father!"

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bearsbeetsbattlestargalactica.jpg

The hell is this?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glyph wrote: »
    Let's be frank here, Obamacare isn't going to survive the Supreme Court.

The smartest and most experienced legal scholars and Supreme Court journalists in the country say this is too close to call, one way or the other, and you are touting the outcome as certain? That is literally one of the most ignorant, baseless things I have ever read on these boards.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Because we don't actually have 538 active on the electoral map front yet, what I'm going to do is take the polling compiled by 270ToWin and RCP, no matter how old, and construct a rough map from the existing polls, as close as I can manage to what I imagine 538 would say. (And some of these polls are ancient.) It's extremely rough-and-dirty, but it's what we've got for now until we activate The Model.

South Carolina's last poll was in December; I fully expect it to be red now. And Iowa could go either way; I wasn't sure what to color it. But here's what it looks like solely based on the polls they have. Uncolored states have not been polled. Obama currently leads 334-153, with 51 electoral votes unpolled. (None of the unpolled states are really in doubt. But they're unpolled. If they had polls, and those polls said what you'd expect them to say, call it 350-188 Obama.)

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Flip Iowa and South Carolina and that looks basically accurate, the way I understand the race. I still think a high Hispanic turnout could give him Arizona.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Glyph has been a prophet of Obamian Doom since ... honestly I can't remember a time before it.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The last Iowa poll was two points to the red and nothing else was from 2012, so I gave it to Romney.

Tennessee looked surprisingly tempting.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Most of the Iowa polls I've seen have the Republican leading, I just choose to not believe it. I also think the Obama people will want to win Iowa badly, just because the Dems there gave his campaign such huge momentum four years ago.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

The hell is this?

I had to look this up, it's a reference to the office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTVcKNx8Rk

The joke is that Dwight (dude #2) is being imitated/mocked by Jim (dude who says the line) because Dwight talks about those 3 topics constantly and is weird like that.

Internet: Every joke is an in-joke, and you're invited to come on in.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »

The hell is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTVcKNx8Rk

The joke is that Dwight (dude #2) is being imitated/mocked by Jim (dude who says the line) because Dwight talks about those 3 topics constantly and is weird like that.

I love inside jokes. I hope to be a part of one some day.

Lh96QHG.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    This is just one of the ads Rove is gonna put on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czo5Vf8KZs
    OK Guys, here's what I want you to make: An advertisement that is mildly amusing, completely ineffective at increasing the oppositions negatives and makes us look petty and silly. Ready? Go!

Obama is selling us to Russia!

That or he's just explaining the political reality that presidents in an election year can't do lots of normally sensible things like broker agreements with world powers because voters are idiots.

• ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    It's still so bizarre.

In 2008, when the healthcare issue was reaching a fever pitch, Romney was heralded as a genius by the GOP establishment for his healthcare plan. It was the "sensible alternative" to the evil single-payer system the Dems wanted.

There's literally nothing for Romney or the GOP to shy away from here. The GOP fucked themselves so hard when they let Obama spin the ACA as a win for the Left. It wasn't what the Left wanted at all. It was the GOP's baby all along, but when it came out looking a little blacker and more liberal than they wanted, they went straight to Maury and proudly announced, "I am NOT the father!"

That may just be the best metaphor ever.

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »

The hell is this?

Oh, I was trying to wrap my head around it. I thought Romney was the cylon, Ron Paul was the raddish, and but I couldn't quite place Newt as the bear (I guessed it was a reference to his infidelity).

Your explanation makes way more sense.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    OK Guys, here's what I want you to make: An advertisement that is mildly amusing, completely ineffective at increasing the oppositions negatives and makes us look petty and silly. Ready? Go!.

...Is that actually a crossroads advertisement? Like, they actually spent money on that?

Or is this a parody?

Jesus, dat Poe.

If that is actually an ad, and it's indicative of the GOP 'campaign' ahead, Rove is even more washed-up than I'd thought.

With Love and Courage
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

My guess: Conservative media will literally latch on to anything and has absolutely zero concern w/r/t/ vetted or credible sources.

"Just in: New polling data shows Obama losing in landslide! We'll be live from the source of this game-changing story at the top of the hour, where the Fox News team will bring us more from the polling center here in Tisdale's Bible Academy and Park 'N Rent, Alabama."
    Even the most useless poll can influence public opinion if people believe it to have meaning. And as fox news viewers believe pretty much everything from those lords of lies..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Democratic Strategist claims Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life and makes a terrible touchstone for women's issues (something I think having a quarter billionaire rightly disqualifies you from)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/12/democrats-comment-about-ann-romney-creates-firestorm-on-twitter/?hpt=hp_t2

Cue outrage from both parties.

Turns out she's one of those rare Democrats with a spine.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I did not see anything wrong with what she said about Mrs. Romney. David Axelrod even has the gall to insist she apologize for it.
    - Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter posted, "Families must be off limits on campaigns, and I personally believe stay at home moms work harder than most of us do."

I agree family should be off limits, but when Mittens calls on his conversations with his wife as his way of saying he supports women he shouldn't cry foul when someone calls BS on him. Miss Rosen is trying to point out that there are women raising families that don't have the luxury to be a stay at home mom and that's the reason why they're concerned with the economy.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kruite wrote: »
    - Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter posted, "Families must be off limits on campaigns, and I personally believe stay at home moms work harder than most of us do."

I know it's hard spending all day at home with a newborn or small child without interaction with adults beyond the television and internet or a tired spouse that wants to unwind, but whenever they pander like this I always just shake my head.

Some people are lucky enough to have one person stay home and take care of that facet of life, but it seems more likely that one person has to stay home because child-care can be expensive as fuck. It is quite a sacrifice especially if the person at home was previously active.

But there's a difference between that and someone staying at home because they literally don't have to work or worry about money. I'm not surprised that Obama's people had kowtow as their immediate reaction. That's what they do and who they are, even though this lady doesn't work for them.

Ann Romney isn't the lady living down the street with three kids, driving an old van with mismatched paint and eating out at the Olive Garden once every few weeks. And you can't pretend she is.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Clevinger wrote: »
    It's still so bizarre.

That may just be the best metaphor ever.

The simple truth is that the minute that the GOP was able to get the Dems to abandon the single-payer platform, they should have spun it as a huge win for "their" agenda. Knowing they didn't have the clout to stop the ACA, they could have come out looking, instead of like the party of petulant children who scream "baby killer!" at the President, like the party of rational compromise who provided healthcare to millions of people while saving them from teh ebol socialzms.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Democratic Strategist claims Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life and makes a terrible touchstone for women's issues (something I think having a quarter billionaire rightly disqualifies you from)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/12/democrats-comment-about-ann-romney-creates-firestorm-on-twitter/?hpt=hp_t2

Cue outrage from both parties.

Turns out she's one of those rare Democrats with a spine.

Couple of things:

- It's Hilary Rosen who is the strategist, not Ann Romney, but it's still easy to divine what you mean just by reading the article.

- It's nevertheless fun to think of Ann Romney as having so little in common with Americans in her effete little bubble world that she might as well be a Democratic operative.

- I'm glad Josh Romney has weighed in on whether or not his mommy is smart and hard working.

- It's nevertheless fun to think of Ann Romney as having so little in common with Americans in her effete little bubble world that she might as well be a Democratic operative.

Yes. Just keep those, "Golly, I'M not rich!" comments a'coming.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Some apologists are saying things like "raising 5 children is the hardest job in the world!" Glad you think so! Now try doing it while working a full-time job and struggling to pay your bills each month.

This discussion has been closed.