As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR]: PvP Thread. Ilum, you are terrible.

• Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    You may as well just save your warzone and merc comms. In 1.2, you will be able to trade merc back to WZ at 1:1, and merc is basically not used anymore for much in 1.2. You will be able to buy Battlemaster pieces with just warzone comms, and the cap for those is going up to 2000.

Basically, once 1.2 hits, your options for pvp gear are a set called recruit that's just bought with credits, and has ~15% expertise on it but fuck all for stats. It's blue quality unmoddable gear. Then you have Battlemaster, which has no valor requirement any longer, and each piece just costs warzone comms. Then there is war hero, which is bought by trading in the battlemaster piece plus rated warzone comms, which are earned by doing ranked warzones. That set is a slight upgrade over battlemaster, like around ~2% more expertise.

1.2 is not coming 4/10, Bioware already clarified that, but it could be 4/17. They said they'll announce ahead of time.

Thanks for the input - and for any who missed it, 1.2 lands on us on 4-12.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Here's a cool pic that shows the prices of the recruit/battlemaster/war hero pieces in 1.2.

http://i.imgur.com/VCumt.png

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Just saw a post stating that unclaimed centurion and champion tokens will disappear come 1.2. So if you have some idling in a hold somewhere you might want to redeem them.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Just saw a post stating that unclaimed centurion and champion tokens will disappear come 1.2. So if you have some idling in a hold somewhere you might want to redeem them.
    Was it an official post? I can't find anything on the dev tracker. You could use them on the PTS to buy boxes of crafting mats. I'm definitely capped on both at this point but I have 2 companions I guess I could get Champ gear for or something. They're currently my Rakata mannequins, heh.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    He's talking about tokens, as in unassembled gear pieces of champ. The commendations are going to be able to be used to trade in to buy the boxes or whatever.

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    So what happens to any centurian or champion pieces I have?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    So if I am understanding correctly, centurion or champion commendations will be able to buy junk. Champion gear tokens will disappear. Centurion and Champion gear may stay the same or possibly turn into the Recruit (?) armor?

The last is definitely a wild guess. I can let you know for sure Thursday :)

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    Centurion and Champ gear is not changing into Recruit gear. It's no longer available to get new, but any you have remains. Champion has less expertise than the new recruit set, but a lot more stats in general, so if you're mostly champion, you'll be better off using it until you buy all your battlemaster.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Shit storm commencing in 3.....2......splode

swtor.com/blog/update-ranked-warzones-game-update-1.2

Heh, i can't believe that. I see they said there's going to be another way to get war hero in the meantime, so at least the masses who would've thrown a fit about not having any new gear progression with 1.2 in pvp will still be able to get it.

Doesn't seem to stop most people from leaving the following message in the thread:

"UNSUBBED"

Which I think is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's just official forums for you. People just want something to get worked up over. Granted, if I was like some of these people who play TOR only for the pvp, I'd probably be upset that by now the 3 warzones are the only pvp content too, especially with Ilum being shelved indefinitely. I mean, I'd hope these people would rather they push back ranked warzones than release them completely broken, but that's just not how people work. They feel like they're entitled to whatever they want when they want it.

Hell, I hope if they're that upset they really do unsub, because at least then they're doing the only productive thing you can do when you're not happy with a game like this.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Unsubbed!!!
    tee hee not really

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited April 2012
    At work, what does the article say?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Hey everybody,

It is with great reluctance that I have to announce Ranked Warzones are not going live with Game Update 1.2: Legacy. We had a fantastic run of testing on the Public Test Server and I can’t begin to thank the community enough for their tireless advocacy for this feature and the time people took to file bugs and voice their concerns.

After careful consideration, it is clear that to make Ranked Warzones the feature we all want it to be is going to take a bit more time. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause and ask for your patience as we work to make sure the Ranked Warzone Preseason launch is polished and fun. With Legacy, the new Warzone, Operation, and Flashpoint, as well as many other amazing features of Game Update 1.2 ready to go, we're very excited for tomorrow's additions.

In the future we'll be rolling the Ranked Warzone Preseason out in phases, listening carefully to player feedback and making adjustments as we go. The first phase will be full team, eight-player queuing only and from there we'll look at next steps as Preseason progresses. In the meantime we have provided an alternate purchase route for War Hero gear so you can start building your set while figuring out your teams.

Daniel Erickson
    Lead Game Designer

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    No ranked warzones in 1.2, at the last minute. We still get the War Hero gear (though other means) and 8-man premades, but the ranked matches have to wait.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Are you certain the 8 man premades are in? I was told that didn't make it either. I want that more than I want ranked warzones. Anything to avoid random bad players.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    8 mans are not in that I could tell. You still have to put up with the bad.

It's irritating.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I could have sworn they said 8-mans are in.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah 8-mans are not in.

Here are some tid-bits I noticed last night:

You can't jump across the gap in voidstar. I'm not sure if the trick jump near the vents in huttball works anymore either.

Novare coast is pretty fun. Looks like it caters to stealthers well.

3 to 1 exchange rate for normal wz comms into rated wz comms. If you do all your dailies and weeklies, you end up with 800 rated and 800 wz comms... So around 1000 rated comms a week from turn-ins. Add in the wz comms you get from matches, and you should be able to get the cheaper pieces (implants, earpieces, etc.) at about 1 a week. The more expensive pieces will take about twice as long to get. If you don't have battlemaster pieces, you will need to get them with normal wz comms first. You need to trade in your BM piece along with the rated and normal wz comms to get your war hero stuff.

They re-arranged the marauder and jugg tree skills. The extra smash damage was taken from vengeance and put into the shared rage tree. It was also nerfed to only +20% damage. Ravage seems to hit harder, and there is an early talent in the rage tree to increase its damage and lower its cd. Looks like they tried to make vicious slash actually worth using by changing a few talents in the rage tree that buffed it. I haven't tested it yet. We got a small self heal and threat dump. Fairly useful to pop when stunned and you have some rage to waste.

Brucelee41042 on
    After pvping last night and looking at my centurian gear compared to the new battlemaster, it looks like they altered the stats on centurian set. I have a ton of surge which is making my focus/sweep build hit harder than it did prepatch. If I just buy the guardian dps version of battlemaster I believe my focus build will actually become less effective at dealing damage. (at least on crits)

Does it make sense to just go back to vigilance? It would probably be better since I do Ops with the guild.

After pvping last night and looking at my centurian gear compared to the new battlemaster, it looks like they altered the stats on centurian set. I have a ton of surge which is making my focus/sweep build hit harder than it did prepatch. If I just buy the guardian dps version of battlemaster I believe my focus build will actually become less effective at dealing damage. (at least on crits)

Does it make sense to just go back to vigilance? It would probably be better since I do Ops with the guild.

See, the BM gear is heavy on accuracy. It's dumb for pvp. Before 1.2 I took the mods out of the champ gloves to replace the shitty mods in the BM gear. Well now with the expertise buff, it's probably better just to deal with the accuracy crap and leave things the way they are.

When I used to raid, I definitely felt more useful with the middle tree (veng/vigil). But I primarily pvp now, so I stick with rage/focus.

I have raided in my rage spec, and it seems to do fine.

edited April 2012
    double post, woops

Brucelee41042 on

See, the BM gear is heavy on accuracy. It's dumb for pvp. Before 1.2 I took the mods out of the champ gloves to replace the shitty mods in the BM gear. Well now with the expertise buff, it's probably better just to deal with the accuracy crap and leave things the way they are.

When I used to raid, I definitely felt more useful with the middle tree (veng/vigil). But I primarily pvp now, so I stick with rage/focus.

I have raided in my rage spec, and it seems to do fine.

What I will probably do is have someone make me the orange versions of the battlemaster gear and cherry pick the pieces that have the expertise/surge mods from the tank set.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm terribly disappointed in the PvP decisions in regards to rewards for the losing team.

They are not enough to discourage mid-match quitting, and that leads to people getting thrown into half or more than half finished matches. Of course, the only intelligent thing to do there is to quit as well. That leads to a cascade of quitting as soon as your team starts to be down (even if it's very recoverable if people just played it out.)

Honestly, that's the kind of mistake that should be extremely easy to spot from a mile away. That's like... MMO 101: Don't give people an incentive to screw their team.

I really wish they would shuffle their PvP development team to other areas. They just don't seem to be up to par and some new blood could do them a world of good, at this point.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Just had a 600-0 win in Civil War. The scoreboard at the end showed 17 imps has been in the instance.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm terribly disappointed in the PvP decisions in regards to rewards for the losing team.

They are not enough to discourage mid-match quitting, and that leads to people getting thrown into half or more than half finished matches. Of course, the only intelligent thing to do there is to quit as well. That leads to a cascade of quitting as soon as your team starts to be down (even if it's very recoverable if people just played it out.)

Honestly, that's the kind of mistake that should be extremely easy to spot from a mile away. That's like... MMO 101: Don't give people an incentive to screw their team.

I really wish they would shuffle their PvP development team to other areas. They just don't seem to be up to par and some new blood could do them a world of good, at this point.

The 1.2 healer changes should have been an indication that the PVP team is having issues. But hey - 30 free days!

tOkYVT2.jpg
    I know I'm staying away from serious pvp for a while until they rebalance losing rewards. I can honestly say that if I knew that with a loss that people would still get in the area of 40 comms, that most people would stay.

Oh, and the 3 medal requirement is a nice idea in theory to stop AFKing, but in practice if you're having a bad game it's very possible to walk out of a match with no rewards at all. Had a pair of Alderaans where it was always 2 nodes to 1 but I had to hunker down at our node for the last minute to eke out my third medal.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

I joined a Huttball last night on my level 11 Sentinel alt where my team was down 3-0 already and there was 9 minutes left in the match. I figured it was a loss, but I'd see how it went. My team battled back valiantly, and we lost 3-2, and I got 47 commendations(5 medals), and I think 1900 valor. I know people are very upset about losing not giving as many comms as winning, but if I can get between 50 and 60 comms even in a loss, I'll be alright with that, and my understanding is the rewards for medals are capped at 8 now, which shouldn't be a problem in a full length match.

I threw down 140k damage in that shortened huttball which was cool, considering Zealous Strike, Slash, and Master Strike basically make up my entire arsenal at the moment. The newly buffed master strike is awesome. The last hit of it can crit for over 4k, and people are still dumb enough to stand there and take it.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Can anyone link to a good bounty hunter powertech pve build?

• SkeldSkeld Registered User regular
    I know I'm staying away from serious pvp for a while until they rebalance losing rewards. I can honestly say that if I knew that with a loss that people would still get in the area of 40 comms, that most people would stay.

Oh, and the 3 medal requirement is a nice idea in theory to stop AFKing, but in practice if you're having a bad game it's very possible to walk out of a match with no rewards at all. Had a pair of Alderaans where it was always 2 nodes to 1 but I had to hunker down at our node for the last minute to eke out my third medal.

Done with pvp as well, and since I enjoy casual pub warzone and level up that way I think I am done with the game. Too frustrating when you get into a bad pub and the moment things went south there would be a cascade of people leaving and basically impossible to even get 3 medals. So the haves will always beat the have nots and either you spent hours to grind it up or never be able to catch up.

Also it's not that much fun anymore when all you run into are marauders / sentinels in 1-49 bracket.

BW needs to look at pvp and decide if there needs to be a separation between hardcore and casual.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    They probably shouldn't have removed all rewards for less than 3 medals. If I play a full game as a healmando I usually end up with 6 on a losing team and 10 or more on a winning, but if I join a game mid-match I just quit. There's zero incentive for me to even bother, especially if we're losing.

They really should have thought it through more. I get they're trying to punish bad(afk) players, but I think they may have went too far.

There are a lot of huge threads on the official forums about this and even though I'm not going to UNSUB! I am not pleased.

I just played a Huttball WZ where there were 4 of us at the beginning. The other team had 7. There was no countdown to end the warzone due to the mismatch but I assume this was taken out this patch.
    1 guy quit on us and of course we got steamrolled.

I got 0 valor, 0 comms, 0 expertise and 0 credits.

For the 5 minutes it took them to get 6 points.

The thing to do, would have been to quit the warzone, but I've never done that before so why start now.

Well, now I know why.

For a full length game, there should rarely ever be a time you can't get at least 3 medals. That being said, I think they need to figure out a better way to combat afking, because that's really not good.

• GnoblesseGnoblesse Registered User new member
    Detharin wrote: »
    Just had a 600-0 win in Civil War. The scoreboard at the end showed 17 imps has been in the instance.

On The Shadowlands? I may have been in that match with you.

• DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nope im over on The Harbringer with some IRL friends still awesome when you can shut down a team. They need to do something about people bailing in warzones though especially with a group where you can completely dominate the enemy. All my solutions are evil, because as long as there is less a penalty for bailing and hoping for a better match people are going to do it.

Detharin on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    People learn best when you reward the good things they do rather than punishing the bad things they do.
    The old system was very good because it encouraged people to stay anyway. This system is about punishment which triggers avoidance behavior.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I heart Morninglord

People learn best when you reward the good things they do rather than punishing the bad things they do.
    The old system was very good because it encouraged people to stay anyway. This system is about punishment which triggers avoidance behavior.

Exactly - even losing and playing well is undervalued. I just played a full length voidstar where we lost 6-2 (enemy attacked 1st and capped the info with 5 secs left)...It was a great game, closer then the score indicated.

32 commendations. Yeah, it's better than a poke in the eye with a stick but I definitely don't feel as though it was worth my time. Now I'm certainly on the alt PvE track. If I'd walked out of there with 45ish comms I would at least feel like it was worth it.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Exactly - even losing and playing well is undervalued. I just played a full length voidstar where we lost 6-2 (enemy attacked 1st and capped the info with 5 secs left)...It was a great game, closer then the score indicated.

32 commendations. Yeah, it's better than a poke in the eye with a stick but I definitely don't feel as though it was worth my time. Now I'm certainly on the alt PvE track. If I'd walked out of there with 45ish comms I would at least feel like it was worth it.
    It's not even playing well is undervalued, it's that you have people panicking and doing nothing if you lag the least bit behind, and if one does it it's in everyone's best interest to do so.

I decided to pug on my Scoundrel yesterday, get Civil War. We cap left, they cap right, after pushing back and forth at mid they cap it. Two people on our team instantly leave, four turtle left so they can get defense medals. Game finally backfills the other two spots, the four of us try to capture mid/right and are obviously grossly outnumbered, I end the match with 2.5k heal/75k healing/something else, get no credit for attacking and no rewards for the match. The jackasses on "defense" all have like 8 medals.

So I was lolgravround spec on my Commando from running the new heroic, decided to queue a wz to see how they fare post "nerf." Um, yeah.... "nerf." I definitely didn't get a 7k Demo Round crit in healing gear with an expertise adrenal/power trinket popped. >.> While it is pretty amusing dropping people in full BM gear in like 4 seconds, they're going to probably need to tone that down a hair. Actually, it's really not fun, it's dumb that I have that much uninterruptable burst from range.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie