As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Rune of Lyssa: When you use an elite skill lose all conditions and gain all buffs for 5 seconds.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    All of the buffs.

Wow.

• Options
    that's for having Rune of Lyssa on all six pieces of your armor and the buffs for the first five looked a little subpar

THEORYCRAFT TIME

• Options
    It's also every three minutes. That's quite a limitation if you don't want to save your elite for a panic button condition remover.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't even care much about the thief's stealth, I just wanna jump around and shoot things and use the scorpion wire.

If I play a thief I'm going to be all about going back into stealth to get as many sweet sweet backstabs as I can. =)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    is the beta this friday?

• Options
    I certainly hope not. Exams all up ins.

• Options
    is the beta this friday?

doubt it!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Nah it'll be the 27th unless ArenaNet really loved us.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, pretty sure this was answered: GW2 doesn't seem to be showing up on my NCSoft account. Not a problem, though?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, pretty sure this was answered: GW2 doesn't seem to be showing up on my NCSoft account. Not a problem, though?

their website is still kinda unfinished, as long as you registered i'm sure you're fine

• Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    They said on Twitter that they're not doing stuff with NCSoft accounts. Dunno if that'll change.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It doesn't show up on mine either. Since they're still working on the account stuff I'd say it's not an issue.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    It doesn't show up on mine either. Since they're still working on the account stuff I'd say it's not an issue.

Or as LordOfMeep said, they wont be associating your GW2 account with your NCSoft account.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Sorry about the browser bugs you were experiencing, guys. IE8 was kind of a mystery as to why it wasn't working, but we are aware of it and working on it.

Sincerely,
    Your friendly neighborhood web team lead whose website she's helped slave over for months is apparently totally unprofessional (kidding, kidding)

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    We love you WaM.

I actually spoofed my IE8 as IE9 to see if I could go through with the order anyway, wouldnt let me click the purchase button :P

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a stress test going on Friday, between 12 PM and 6 PM PST. Not sure how they are handling it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wish they would let us really stress test it. ;)

47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Sorry about the browser bugs you were experiencing, guys. IE8 was kind of a mystery as to why it wasn't working, but we are aware of it and working on it.

Sincerely,
    Your friendly neighborhood web team lead whose website she's helped slave over for months is apparently totally unprofessional (kidding, kidding)

I can relate.

Yeah, fine, it should be compatible, whatever. But for the sake of our sanity, folks, and probably the betterment of humanity or something, please stop using IE.
    Arthil wrote: »
    Apparently there's a stress test going on Friday, between 12 PM and 6 PM PST. Not sure how they are handling it.

"Fantastic! Our stress test of the downloader client is complete."

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Hm, Amazon.de just sent me message saying I'll get my pre-purchase on the 16th instead of the 20th.

HMMMMM.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    So ...because i had a gift card on my local retailer, i canceled my order from Zavvi and 'bought' the CE from the retailer. I say 'bought' because i paid but i didn't get the box or any code on my receipt. The guy there didn't know what to do so he's going to phone me at lunch time and give me the code...WAT!? >.<

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Sincerely,

Figured out your problem for you. Although seriously, IE has come a long way from the insecure mess it used to be. It's just, you know, a Microsoft product, so it needs to be pointed to and laughed at.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Welp. Whatever WaM did fixed it for me. I was able to buy it from Chrome using Windows XP whereas I couldn't yesterday.

Good job.

Now I wait?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Any Canadian fans out there that have successfully pre-purchased the Collector's edition? When I called the EB Games I pre-ordered at on Tuesday, they said they hadn't received anything yet. It'd be great to know if anyone else in the country has managed to work with them successfully.

By comparison the purchase online for my second copy was a breeze, and it just makes me incredibly sad that Anet chose to deal with local retailers instead of selling the CE directly through the site.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Any Canadian fans out there that have successfully pre-purchased the Collector's edition? When I called the EB Games I pre-ordered at on Tuesday, they said they hadn't received anything yet. It'd be great to know if anyone else in the country has managed to work with them successfully.

By comparison the purchase online for my second copy was a breeze, and it just makes me incredibly sad that Anet chose to deal with local retailers instead of selling the CE directly through the site.

I don't imagine a shipping and distribution chain would have been that easy to set up.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    DAoC was amazing in its time, but I definitely think GW2's pvp is going to be better. There are so many synergistic relationships between traits/utilities/weapon skills that only players that work to learn will utilize to their maximum ability, and good use of all your abilities and even cross class combos will make a big difference in fights.

I don't think cross class combos will be as plentiful nor devastating as your or anyone else has been led to believe. I will be ecstatic if they are plentiful, and powerful, but I just don't think MMOs are built to support that type of gameplay. If they are, then people would feel forced to play certain classes/archtypes to get those class combo's running, and that kind of goes against what ArenaNet is trying to do. They'll mostly be visual effects and damage type changes I think.

I'm not sure why they couldn't be strong or wouldn't work in an MMO. Hell look at FFXI. The combat system was built entirely around class combos. And given that to make the combo you built the COMBO AROUND THE TEAM not the team around the combo. Now this is just an example but it shows how it can be well and effectively implemented into an MMO.

FFXI was also a group-or-die game of the type GW2 has no interest in being.

I'm not comparing the games but a single mechanic so that really has nothing to do with this. I specifically noted building combos around the team. I even put it in caps so it was difficult to miss.....

It doesn't really matter. Combos being a big deal under any format forces grouping, the opposite of the game's intent.

Plus, building your combo around your team just reinforces homogenization. It's the only way it's actually balanced.

But it doesn't force grouping outside of the already in place grouping that there is. Are you going to solo all the dungeons in the game? No. So... grouping is a part of the game. Are you going to win every 1v5 you run into in PvP? Again NO. Their vision is not forcing the MAKEUP of the groups. So this point, again, has no effect on combos.

If Class Combos are really powerful, they enforce group play (and specific types of it) in order to acheive anywhere near optimal performance. This is not something they want. They want groups to be fluid and optional and making class combos powerful does the opposite.

Even their structured PvP is set up to encourage only small groups. 5v5 with 3 capture points is gonna be, at most, 3v2 or the like. And often just 1v1 or 2v1 or the like.

As to your second point, it only reinforces homogenization through balance as much as trying to balance classes individually does. Different classes already do different things and if they aren't in a group with you... you no longer have access to those boons. How is this different than having combos based on your composition?

No, that's not correct. If class combos are powerful but you don't want to force anyone to bring specific classes, then class combos need to be very generic so any group can achieve them. This requires some degree of homogenisation. Balancing classes individual you don't even give a shit about that sort of thing, so that kind of homogenisation is completely avoided.

But see they don't need to be game breakingly powerful to be useful. Just a simple "when 2 skills are used together they do more damage than when used seperately and can each cause some kind of status effect." Add small AoE's to a single target shot with a tiny explosion at the end. You could come up with piles of interesting ways to doo things and still have any class combo have options and have them work. That way none are intrinsically better than another, none are required to do anything, and they can be done without a specific make-up. This really is an incredibly simple thing to do as far as stats and numbers are concerned. Like... really simple.

Maybe the confusion here is in the initial comment about them not being too powerful and how each of us views that. I'm seeing it as a bonus system that allows people who use it to have an advantage over those who don't. That doesn't mean if you don't use it you will be unable to complete content, that just means that you might do things quicker if you do. And in PvP whether or not you use a mechanic really comes down to skill. The better players will think fast with combining skills and edge out a victory over an otherwise equal battle.

Making the animations and mechanics work is really the more difficult part.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

I don't imagine a shipping and distribution chain would have been that easy to set up.

Presumably they are still published by NCSoft, which does have that sort of logistics in place, but I digress. I've just got this constant vague sense of unease that isn't going to go away until I've safely got this physical nonsense taken care of.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Woo, less lag on the BWE 8-)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    I'm really sad that I didn't notice the plush charr until way too late to buy one.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Response to my lack of a confirmation email:
    If you know your account name, password and display name, you will not necessarily need to receive emails from us. Beta and forum information will be made available at a later time on the Guild Wars 2 website (www.guildwars2.com).

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't be worried then? I hope...

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Guys. Hey guys.

I'm going to Seattle next week for an ANet presser. I am super jazzed because I really admire the ANet devs and can't wait to interview some of 'em! I'd be happy to take question suggestions from my fellow WANGers... as long as they aren't stupid questions that nobody will answer like, "When is the release date?" or super-specific theorycrafting questions about skills/traits that might change between now and launch anyway. So if you have anything you'd like me to ask or look into, fire away!

If you run into the press mob, WaM, feel free to say hi to the short lady with the curly red hair. That's a-me!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

According to posts on reddit, the CE is "sold out" in Canada and if you didn't pre-order the pre-purchase about two weeks ago, you can't get them. Or at least not from EBGames. You might try Gamestop.com (it's listed on the front page of the site) or wait until tomorrow and hit up BestBuy.com (supposedly stocking the CE pre-purchase on 4/13).

I managed to get my CE code by harrasinh my local Gamestop for about 48 hours until they were painfully aware that i wanted this product and wanted it very badly. The morning of 4/11, they had my code waiting. Whether or not I actually get the physical CE box when it releases remains to be seen.

Good luck. To us both.
    So if you have anything you'd like me to ask or look into, fire away!

Do conditions "go away" when a player enters the downed state? For example, if I'm "burning" and it puts me into the downed state, do I continue to burn after being downed?

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Guys. Hey guys.

I'm going to Seattle next week for an ANet presser. I am super jazzed because I really admire the ANet devs and can't wait to interview some of 'em! I'd be happy to take question suggestions from my fellow WANGers... as long as they aren't stupid questions that nobody will answer like, "When is the release date?" or super-specific theorycrafting questions about skills/traits that might change between now and launch anyway. So if you have anything you'd like me to ask or look into, fire away!

If you run into the press mob, WaM, feel free to say hi to the short lady with the curly red hair. That's a-me!

I have a question that I'd like asked, if you get a chance. A lot of what they've described about pvp sounds awesome for the major, large guilds and the most competitive servers. Will there be any sorts of reward systems or gameplay systems which encourage smaller, independent guilds to continue to compete without simply merging with other guilds to form large guilds?

Similarly, what sorts of systems do they have in place to encourage players to continue to play on their initial servers, instead of rerolling onto the servers which end up “top tier” in wuvwuv?

• Options
    Guys. Hey guys.

I have a question that I'd like asked, if you get a chance. A lot of what they've described about pvp sounds awesome for the major, large guilds and the most competitive servers. Will there be any sorts of reward systems or gameplay systems which encourage smaller, independent guilds to continue to compete without simply merging with other guilds to form large guilds?

Similarly, what sorts of systems do they have in place to encourage players to continue to play on their initial servers, instead of rerolling onto the servers which end up “top tier” in wuvwuv?

i feel like i saw something saying that it costs real life money to swap servers for wuvwuv purposes

• Options
    Guys. Hey guys.

i feel like i saw something saying that it costs real life money to swap servers for wuvwuv purposes

That's to transfer your character. What about just rolling a new character? There won't be as many people doing that, but I suspect you'll still see a gradual population shift to higher densities on the top performing servers.

• Options
    To go into further detail: I think there'd have to also be some kind of "reward" system or {something} to encourage people to stay on crappier servers. For instance: In DAOC, the top performing faction would get all kinds of fighting bonuses and dungeon access for being the best. The faction getting absolutely steam-rolled would eventually hit a point where new characters rolled on their side could be auto-boosted to a certain level, which encouraged new players or alts to go in that direction in order to rebalance populations and power.

Or in my mind, both birds with one stone: While the top performing guilds on the best servers get cool rewards, the smaller guilds on the less successful servers could fight in a secondary tier bracket for OTHER, less prestigious but more obtainable rewards. So, on the top server, the top guild gets GOLD TROPHY or whatever. But on the 20th best server, the top 5 guilds all get SILVER TROPHY or whatever. This encourages some guilds to think about being on smaller servers, because while the big, best award is awesome, they feel that the silver trophy is more obtainable and something worth pursuing.

• Options
    Guys. Hey guys.

That's to transfer your character. What about just rolling a new character? There won't be as many people doing that, but I suspect you'll still see a gradual population shift to higher densities on the top performing servers.

i had assumed that your account is tied to a server, and your characters are tied to your account

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Well, that could end up being a self-correcting problem. Top-tier server attracts too many hangers-on who aren't so good at PvP --> server might not end up being top-tier anymore. How they plan to balance player choice with server stability is a good general question, though, so I'll definitely work in something like that. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Here's hoping that with the cap on how many people from each server can be in WvW a massively populated server wouldn't be at a real advantage. Of course, if a low pop server doesn't have enough people to fill up their team all the time that would suck too. I trust that ANet is thinking about all this, since a major selling point is the WvW. I hope to be on a server with a healthy population, but where I don't have to queue forever to get into WvW, because I want to do that shit alll the tiiiiiiimmmmmeeeeee.

• Options
    Guys. Hey guys.

i had assumed that your account is tied to a server, and your characters are tied to your account

Oh, wait, that's right. Wasn't it that you're only on a "server" for pvp purposes, but can pve with any server? That sort of corrects it, I guess. As long as you don't realize two months in that you shouldn't have rolled with, say, Penny Arcade, and really want to play in your brother's guild.

This discussion has been closed.