As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Sad I suppose, but certainly not unexpected. In fact I had (mistakenly) thought they had been offline for awhile now.

IIRC Dark Souls does not use a central server, right? So you should be able to play online for as long as you own the game, correct?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    I just bought the bloody thing :(

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Axen wrote: »
    IIRC Dark Souls does not use a central server, right? So you should be able to play online for as long as you own the game, correct?

Has MS ever taken any games offline?

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Okay, so apparently one of the new bosses is Artorias of the Abyss 8->

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    Okay, so apparently one of the new bosses is Artorias of the Abyss 8->

oh my god DLC FOR CONSOLES PLEASE

dragon/manticore/creepy hand didn't quite do it but another gwyn-esque fight did, HYPEHYPEHYPE

Torgairon on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Forgive me, but I am uncertain if that is a serious question (in which case I have no idea) or sarcasm. If the latter, then it is a good thing I play Dark Souls on PS3. :)

Either way, if Dark Souls does not have a central server (which I am pretty sure is accurate) then the longevity of the online game will probably outlast the player base.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So... that means we'll get his soul. I already have his sword, I already have his shield... that leaves only Armor of Artorias. Woohoo!

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I will be so disappointed if they don't release this stuff as DLC

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Rejigged the OP, few extra links in the second post too.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Asheron's Call 1, Asheron's Call 2, any XBox1 game with matchmaking...

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    GFWL has some very nasty issues, one of which is savegames are stored locally, but you have to perform dark magic spells in order to back them up.

Edit: Hopefully they DO decide to release on Steam anyways, like Red Faction Guerrilla.

Satsumomo on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've yet to outright lose a save due to GFWL, but I have had tremendously heinous times trying to just start/update games before, so the new is a bit disheartening. While I wasn't part of the original petition to get the game to PC (mostly due to not believing it would actually do anything), I still told myself I'd support it if A) it did come to PC and B) it wasnt a horrendous port.

I guess I'll wait for the initial reviews before buying.

Decoy on
    I lost savegames from Arkham Asylum and Red Faction Guerrilla. My fault for not backing up, the thing is, I had a full backup of my documents folder, it's just that you need to backup before uninstalling Windows, otherwise the files become useless. Also, IIRC, due to GFWL Red Faction Guerrilla had an incredibly slow patching cycle due to GFWL certification.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "...Might I ask... where you found that ring? I entrusted it... to a dear friend..."
    546003_305261082880276_119869331419453_757376_520347860_n.jpg

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    "...Dark Souls is all about making the player suffer and suffer HORRIBLY. Can you think of a better way to transport them to a realm of perpetual suffering than by using GFWL?"

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Definitely very meta-game of them.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I am very disappointed in my divine longsword +4 (around 25 faith) and my fiery barbed straight sword.

Especially since I just picked up this shock spear in Sen's fort and it completely outclasses everything else I have.

• nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    hey if ye don't want dark souls to be on gfwl go sign this thing http://www.change.org/petitions/namco-bandai-and-from-software-release-dark-souls-pc-edition-without-games-for-windows-live

either way i am excited for the pc port because i would really like to play this game. my laptop prooobably won't be able to stomach it but odds are more in favor of me getting a decent PC in the future than getting an xbox 360

I can live with GFWL although I'd much prefer to avoid it altogether, however I'd hope anyone here would be reasonable enough not to sign that petition. They've responded to a petition to bring it to the PC and the answer is to sign a new petition because they're bringing it using a service you hate? Wow. Not to mention the whole "Steam or no sale" part of it. What does that say? Hey developers, we want you to bring your games to PC, and when you do we'll continue to pressure you to make it for Steam! Physical copies, other DRM/distribution services, or no DRM at all? Not good enough, has to be Steam.

So is there a point in this game where my health is high enough and my defense is high enough that I'm not losing giant chunks of health to enemies?

My HP is just south of 1000 and I've got about 300 physical defense, and yet the basic soldier enemies at the beginning of the same (sword and shield) will still hit me for around 275 on a regular swing if I let them.

I seriously am not seeing any evidence of any kind of damage mitigation effect whatsoever. This is a point of contention between my friend and I - he is wearing super heavy armor (>50% burden) and insists that the mobility he sacrifices is worth the mitigation he sees, but I don't see any.

He dies a lot.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    mitigation is pretty negligible if you aren't min-maxing it imo, i.e. wearing the heaviest stuff you can while staying at <50% equip load (>50% is so, so slow and I would say not worth it). in the end, you just don't ever want to actually trade blows so much as poke, stunlock or parry + riposte everything you see to death.

also, I just got my lightning spear too and the thing is just silly in how it invalidates any weapons you've been building for about 10 levels until you get to the next smith with some boss souls to play with. once you're there though, you can take weapons you actually like and get the same setup going.

curious, what level is your char vagrant? it sounds like we're doing roughly the same build and are around the same area but you have ~200 health and 4 faith on me.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I find in DS, except in very rare and one-off situations (looking at you Four Kings) you should not be putting yourself in a position where damage mitigation should even matter. Dodging or blocking are the way to go. Pick one and master it, but don't try to mix both.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Vagrant, I'm only two areas ahead of you, lvl57, and I'm still getting one-shotted by certain enemies. The only way to not die is to not get hit. I'm still using the Knight Shield (+4) and it's solid defense with minimal weight, which helps a lot, but the only real way to survive is to be faster than the enemy.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited April 2012
    ...huh, I'd almost say I'd have to hop onto my level 130-140ish +5 Paladin Armored Fire Cleric just to test how hard she gets hit by those first enemies... but then, I'm on NG++ now, so it wouldn't exactly be an accurate test...

I definitely don't remember the very first skeleton guards hitting me for more than about 60 or so once I got this armor though. Strange.

Dranyth on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    So is there a point in this game where my health is high enough and my defense is high enough that I'm not losing giant chunks of health to enemies?

My HP is just south of 1000 and I've got about 300 physical defense, and yet the basic soldier enemies at the beginning of the same (sword and shield) will still hit me for around 275 on a regular swing if I let them.

I seriously am not seeing any evidence of any kind of damage mitigation effect whatsoever. This is a point of contention between my friend and I - he is wearing super heavy armor (>50% burden) and insists that the mobility he sacrifices is worth the mitigation he sees, but I don't see any.

He dies a lot.

Once you get about 40 vitality, you'll see that your survivability rises tremendously. But really, you can die in a few hits if you're not careful. Just make sure you have a shield that can block at least 95% Phys damage (but really, 100% is better), and make sure you have enough endurance to take the hit to your stamina when you block. Otherwise, you're gonna have to dodge better.

Also, heavy armor is better used for Poise, which determines how easily stunned and knocked back you get from an enemy attack. Naturally, the higher, the better, but that also means more weight for you and less dodging maneuverability.

Again, Endurance raises your max equip burden to mitigate this, but also there are at least 2 rings that remedy this: Ring of Favor and protection, which also gives you a boost to health and stamina (but breaks if you de-equip it), and Havel's ring, which adds, what, 25-50 lbs for your max equip load. Roughly, wearing the RoFaP, while having an Endurance of 30 will let you wear the heaviest armor in the game with a normal roll (not the usual heavy roll).

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    God this GFWL whining is so silly.
    Now there's a petition to remove it from the game.
    Ugh.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    God this GFWL whining is so silly.
    Now there's a petition to remove it from the game.
    Ugh.

Yeah, normally I'd go fuck GFWL...but we're bloody lucky to get a PC port of this gem. We should be thankful and just goddamn roll with it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW

Is that when blocking or when not blocking? If you're not blocking, well, there you go. You should be an unmovable mountain when blocking, however, only taking serious damage from things like Havel (oh god he hurts. Better have a 100% Phys shield or he'll one-shot you even when blocking) and Really Nasty Shit.
    Heavy armour gameplay is "block until opening, then strike", not "I care not for blocking, I swing sword lol".

It's just strange coming from demons souls because in that game not only is damage mitigation very evident (red eye knights barely scratch me), but shield drain is heavily mitigated too. For example the skeletons in the shrine of storms do this guard breaking, heavy overhead slash. Early to mid game that attack will drain your entire stamina meter. Right now it probably takes about 15% of my stamina (at level 400 mind you). I haven't noticed that in dark souls...or is that what stability is?

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's just strange coming from demons souls because in that game not only is damage mitigation very evident (red eye knights barely scratch me), but shield drain is heavily mitigated too. For example the skeletons in the shrine of storms do this guard breaking, heavy overhead slash. Early to mid game that attack will drain your entire stamina meter. Right now it probably takes about 15% of my stamina (at level 400 mind you). I haven't noticed that in dark souls...or is that what stability is?

That's exactly what stability is. If you pick up great shields, you'll notice blocking drain less of your stamina. I upgraded from the Knight Shield to the Eagle Shield, and now I can block anything from the lesser minotaur and capra demons despite being lax in upgrading my endurance.

Poise is your armor's ability to help you ignore a hit during your animations. Like if you have a giant hammer, and you want to make sure your swing hits somebody no matter what, you want poise.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Poise? How much you reel when hit, I believe.

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular

No amount of armor/hp will make you meaty after playthrough 1. All it does it take you out of the OHKO zone, and into 2-3HKO zones.

Does resistance help negative effects (poison, toxic) pass more quickly, or does it just make it harder for them to stick?

Is it worth raising my resistance at all?

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Don't stick anything into resistance, just switch to poison resist gear if you need to.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Torgairon wrote: »
    mitigation is pretty negligible if you aren't min-maxing it imo, i.e. wearing the heaviest stuff you can while staying at <50% equip load (>50% is so, so slow and I would say not worth it). in the end, you just don't ever want to actually trade blows so much as poke, stunlock or parry + riposte everything you see to death.

also, I just got my lightning spear too and the thing is just silly in how it invalidates any weapons you've been building for about 10 levels until you get to the next smith with some boss souls to play with. once you're there though, you can take weapons you actually like and get the same setup going.

curious, what level is your char vagrant? it sounds like we're doing roughly the same build and are around the same area but you have ~200 health and 4 faith on me.

I'm around 75, now.

Level your armor/shield up, especially the shield.

My Fire Cleric had the Paladin Armor set all at +5 and an Eagle Shield at +15 going into NG+. I believe when I ran down to Havel as a shortcut (I don't think I ever killed Taurus Demon in NG+ or NG++), I was able to tank his Dragon's Tooth hits with that setup, which amused me to no end.

Also, fuck Four Kings on NG+.

edited April 2012
    I have a knight shield +10 and my chain shirt is at +7 right now I think. I should probably farm some titanite...I still need to pick up the ring.

So I've noticed that I'm getting humanity, but not humanity the item. Where's that coming from? Like I was playing yesterday and I looked up to find that I had 12(!) humanity stored up.

e: AUGH! I think I've fucked up everything!

My firekeeper is dead. Somehow...and also I attacked that serpent-headed NPC...frampt? He was very intimidating! I didn't want to get close. So I started shooting him from afar. After a few shots he called me a silly fool and ran away. Sad face.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    I have a knight shield +10 and my chain shirt is at +7 right now I think. I should probably farm some titanite...I still need to pick up the ring.

So I've noticed that I'm getting humanity, but not humanity the item. Where's that coming from? Like I was playing yesterday and I looked up to find that I had 12(!) humanity stored up.

My firekeeper is dead. Somehow...and also I attacked that serpent-headed NPC...frampt? He was very intimidating! I didn't want to get close. So I started shooting him from afar. After a few shots he called me a silly fool and ran away. Sad face.

Are you leaving a lot of messages on the ground? If they get upvoted, you receive humanity as a bonus. And that firekeeper thing is plot related, it can be remedied later in the story. As for Frampt... uh... I'm not sure if he comes back, but he's pretty baller. Maybe a reload is in order?

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
    I have never left a message on the ground.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I have never left a message on the ground.

Get out.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Frampt is more of a gimmick than anything else. If he was around still, you could have "sold" some unneeded items for a few souls, though it's kind of unnecessary considering how easy it is to get them. As for the plot, he's not necessary, and rather, you can still try and join the Darkwraiths (in which case, he would have left anyway).

As for the Fire Keeper, Anastacia... you remember that golden knight, Lautrec? Yeaaaaaaah, he killed her. You gotta use that Black-Eye Orb in Anor Londo to track him down and get her soul back, then you can revive her (DON'T USE THE SOUL EVER!!!)

EDIT: Oh, and you can get humanity simply by killing a lot of undead. It's pretty easy, really.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
This discussion has been closed.