As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Okay new prediction on where Bendis will land post AvX after reading some spoilers for Assemble #2. Sure seems like he'll be spearheading the Cosmic Scene with Guardians of the Galaxy being the main book.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is a fairly safe bet, I'd think.

Assemble had a ton of cosmic junk.

Also Hulk is written super inconsistently. One minute he is saying stuff like "HE STOLE SHINY THING" and "THERE WAS ARMY" and then when Cap says he is what brought the Avengers together he replies "Don't put that on me."

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That is a fairly safe bet, I'd think.

Assemble had a ton of cosmic junk.

Also Hulk is written super inconsistently. One minute he is saying stuff like "HE STOLE SHINY THING" and "THERE WAS ARMY" and then when Cap says he is what brought the Avengers together he replies "Don't put that on me."

I like the Zodiac foil in the book, but it's pretty clear that Marvel is just using this title to cross-promote the movie coming out early next month (sooner in Europe), and it probably won't last long after the movie goes to DVD/Bluray.

The inconsistencies in the Hulk are probably the writers trying to write the character the way he exists in the current comic, but also trying to keep him as "dumb Hulk" so the newbies won't be confused by how he's portrayed on the big screen.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    Yes but that isn't an excuse.

Inconsistent writing is inconsistent writing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    So Secret Avengers is the first thing I've read by Remender.
    Do all his arcs end that badly for the heroes? There was no win there. They just got fooled.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Remender is a fan of the maxi-arc, like in X-Force. Heroes get foiled in the short run, but manage to scrape a win (sort of) further down the line.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It works pretty well, too. Remender is good at doing a couple of seemingly separate arcs that then flow together into one larger story.

Oh, okay. So he's setting up a pile of stuff to get back to probably after all the AvX tie-ins. Gotcha.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    I have a digital code for Avenging Spider-Man #6, part one of the Omega Effect Spidey/DD/Punisher crossover. PM me if you want it.

All Gone.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Remender does need to work on not having everything be sad or Pyrrhic victories at the end of stories. I think Uncanny X-Force works well because of what the team's mission statement is and how far they'll go to accomplish their goals, and because it's been arguably the darkest Marvel book out there, and fills that role as the universe's dark book. Secret Avengers can't go down that role, and hopefully that means Remender can't put the screws to the team more than should be allowed. This is why Venom needs to stretch out beyond being just the dark solo hero book after the first year of existence.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Remender will be leading a suicide team of Avengers in space by next issue so that should be interesting.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    my, that is a lot of credits on the cover
    hulk2011007_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Is 6 artists really necessary?

It is because they got Silvestri who is hella slow and then replaced him with Portacio who is also slow

CYpGAPn.png
    You know, it just occured to me that any deaths in AvX are likely going to come at the hands of another superhero.

Something about that makes it feel a little more meaningful to me, and brings Red Hulk's speech in New Avengers into a new light.

"Don't pick any fights you can't win." Guess someone will.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, Parker worked miracles with him and seems that other writers are finally catching on. Bendis writes him wonderfully in New Avengers.

It's the Amadeus Cho effect all over again

steam_sig.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    Can anyone summarize all the "cosmic junk" in Assembles for someone who likes Marvel Cosmic but couldn't care less about Bendis's Avengers?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What is Cho doing at the moment anyways? Seems like he would be a natural fit for Avengers Academy.

edited April 2012
    UltimateInferno on

Invincible Iron Man sounds like it will get pretty interesting by July. I haven't read the post-Fear Itself issues yet though.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Didn't Bendis say he was leaving the Avengers soon? Would that be a good time to jump on the Avengers train?

Probably.

Bendis will continue to write Avengers Assemble for the time being and I guess that's where he's putting the Age of Ultron story unless it will be released as an OGN.

Rogue vs. Ms. Marvel!
    By the end of this issue, one of these women will change their allegiance.
    Hmm. I knew it. Carol's siding with the X-Men.

I also find it interesting that the promo material and solicits are now referring to her as Earth's Mightiest Hero.

edited April 2012
    Carol should side with the X-Men, they helped her out big time in the past, more so than with the Avengers I would say, even with the drinking problem. She's also one of the people who, if the story wants to be true to history, should be giving advice about Cyclops' team outside of Wolverine. And I guess the solicit spoils how the Schism thing will work out in the event.

Daredevil vs. Psylocke, by Remender, that should be a good, fair fight (Psylocke kills Foggy).

And jebus, Dark Avengers still has the time traveling going on?

TexiKen on
    So, Thor's fighting the scientist dude from Tabula Rasa on AvX Versus. Interesting.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Also interesting to note that Bunn is co-writing another book (Captain America).
    JORGE MOLINA doing the art of WaTX 14
    Andrews might be finally down with Ultimate Comics covers?

UltimateInferno on

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And jebus, Dark Avengers still has the time traveling going on?

I think the problem with the time-traveling arc, more than anything else, is one of expectations. I think most people, including me, thought it was just going to be an arc. The Thunderbolts make their escape, the rest of the crew tracks them down, the end.

But, it was promoted as the start of a new direction for the book, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised that it's continued for as long as it has.

It is pretty weird that it's carrying over to Dark Avengers, though.

Arivia wrote: »
    So, Thor's fighting the scientist dude from Tabula Rasa on AvX Versus. Interesting.

Think so? I think it might be whoever the Phoenix possesses in the issue before, maybe Emma.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

Think so? I think it might be whoever the Phoenix possesses in the issue before, maybe Emma.

I count four arms, and that's the only recent X-Men character I can think of with four.

huntresssig.jpg
    I'm seeing a long scarf like thing that Emma would wear, or Lady Deathstrike. And we see in the cover next to that on the BC link, Emma's got something going on with the Phoenix, always picking on innocent Cyclops.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Calling it. The Phoenix Force takes Emma as its host and it combines a bit of her with Jean. Hijinx ensue.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the matching cover to the solicit but...

IAgUy.jpg
    AVENGERS ACADEMY #33 AVX

CHRISTOS GAGE (W)
    TIMOTHY GREEN II (A)
    COVER BY GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN TIE-IN!
    When the X-Men come for the school’s Sentinel, who will take a stand?

Fffffff...

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    praying to god that that's just for the cover

When was the last time any of us saw a cover that directly matched the actual book from the big 2?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Invincible Iron Man sounds like it will get pretty interesting by July. I haven't read the post-Fear Itself issues yet though.

I'm in the same boat. I dropped it after 500, but the fact that he's at that point makes me interested in picking it back up, and it also adds a great deal to everyone's assumption that he might be wrapping this puppy up in time for the end of AvX.

Dammit Aaron wreck everything

huntresssig.jpg
    The post Fear Itself Iron Man has been pretty good!

This discussion has been closed.