As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I know that. I don't think that cap not having an otg assist kills him as a character though. There are what.. 9 characters that can otg assist? The point is.. you don't really need an otg assist in the game.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    it doesn't seem like a problem to me that wesker is "easy" but still effective
    the glasses buff should be removed though

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll create a spreadsheet on my phone and compile ongoing data, if I'm not lazy. That's a pretty big if. Should I do it for ranked only?

Luncheon Loaf on
    xbl: halophilicNC
  • Options
    I know that. I don't think that cap not having an otg assist kills him as a character though. There are what.. 9 characters that can otg assist? The point is.. you don't really need an otg assist in the game.

Sure, you don't "need" it, but your combos may suffer as a result.

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The two things I wish they'd remove from Wesker are the glasses buff and his ability to cancel into team super from samurai edge.

Man, I'm a little bummed that nothing was announced for Marvel during Captivate. I was hoping for something, even just a patch or whatever.

True, but having an OTG assist can really help out a lot of characters. I honestly think we would see a lot more character variety if there were more OTG assist options.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

It doesn't kill him as a character, because not every character needs to provide an OTG assist to justify their place on a team. However, expanding the portion of the cast who can fill this role can help diversify the teams you see in the community. More options is never bad, right?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Does someone have a list of all the OTG assists in the game?

Edit: Found this on SRK. These might all OTG but it doesn't take into account the practicability for relaunch combos.
    C. Viper-seismic hammer
    Felicia-sand splash
    Arthur-fire bottle
    Dante-crystal
    Wesker-samurai edge down
    Chris?- grenade idk
    Firebrand-the firespit on the ground
    Shuma gorath-mystic ray
    sentinel- sentinel drones (bombs), rocket punch (down forward)
    storm- typhoon
    x-23- idk the name of the move sorry
    deadpool- katanarama
    dormammu- liberation
    doctor doom- hidden missles
    thor- I think (mighty something)
    Iron man-Smart Bombs
    hulk-gamma wave
    she hulk- torpedo/chariot something like that

And this list, which is less helpful:
    Deadpool-B
    Dormammu-B
    Ghost Rider-B/Y
    Hawkeye-B/Y
    Hulk-A
    Iron Fist-B
    Iron Man-Y
    Sentinel-B/Y
    She-Hulk-A
    Shuma-Gorath-A
    Storm-B
    Super Skrull-A
    X-23-B

Akuma-Y
    Arthur-Y
    Crimson Viper-B
    Dante-B
    Felicia-B
    Firebrand-A
    Phoenix Wright-Y
    Viewtiful Joe-Y
    Wesker-B

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    lol@ dormammu (liberation). Yeah, if you charge up 3D0C or 0D2C. :eyeroll: And Dorm B is purification which takes FOREVER to come out so no go on extending combos. Doom missiles only work for particular combos where you're hitting nomals on the ground and then can relaunch them and ground bounce them before they hit. Can't speak for the viability of the rest but if the didn't suck they'd be used more often right?

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    most characters don't need an otg assist so it's not really a big deal?

also any character that can self otg in any form can continue combos with any assist that holds, bounces, etc

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    How is Chun Li in this game?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

Solid.

With good execution she can pull off some really neat stuff, but that's the story of a lot of characters in this game.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    She definitely takes some work, but since she's one of the lesser-used characters, you're already at somewhat of an advantage I think.

So why exactly do so many MvC2 vets hate MvC3? I was never that deep into MvC2 to really "get" why they don't like it. Did they just want MvC2 with better graphics? That'd be boring.

However, it's nice that at least some top players like Clockwork, Fanatiq, and Neo transitioned.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Hmm. Should I get skullgirls or keep saving up for this . . .

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    I honestly don't expect Skullgirls to do that well. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

• Options

I'd say she's probably one of the most execution heavy characters in the game, unfortunately. How difficult she is to master is probably why a lot of pros don't play her. But I've been rushed down hard by some good Chun Lis. She's damned quick and relentless.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    So why exactly do so many MvC2 vets hate MvC3? I was never that deep into MvC2 to really "get" why they don't like it. Did they just want MvC2 with better graphics? That'd be boring.

However, it's nice that at least some top players like Clockwork, Fanatiq, and Neo transitioned.

Engines are totally different. It's really that simple. Other reasons just spiral out from there while being related to it.

Overall the games play nothing alike. Characters that are in both MvC2 and MvC3 play nothing alike because of the engine differences. You're also missing other characters altogether that were popular and/or tourney viable (or toruney assist viable) in MvC2 that are not in MvC3. Assists do not function anywhere close to the same. Vanilla Haggar was the closest to a CapCom/Psylocke/Cammy/etc. invinble assist and they nerfed him. That changes the way you play a shit load between the two games. Then you have x-factor, dark phoenix, and other shit that even people who started with MvC3 and/or like MvC3 all have opinions on too.

For a similar comparison look at the people who played ST at tourneys versus the people who played 3S at tourneys, well, 3S after Japan showed America how to actually play the game at least. Essentially none of the ST and Alpha players, which did overlap some, wanted to play 3S. Between the bullshit of Yun, Chun and pairies, heavy emphasis on pairies, in their eyes it just wasn't SF. You still have a very divided line between 3S and non-3S players where 3S is either the pinnacle of SF or the biggest pile of dog shit Capcom has ever put out with the SF name attached.

Or, to go the anime game route, ask a Guilty Gear player if they like BlazBlu. They will likely tell you they don't. Games are very, very similar, just like MvC2 to MvC3 transistion, however, at the level where money is on the line, they might as well be night and day differences to the people playing them.

Simple engine differences do that. Especially when you're putting money on the line, and at the moment, there's a lot more money on the line than ever before.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I think that depends on who is on your team. The characters that don't need OTG assists to do well are also the same characters that have OTG attacks on their own; hardly anybody can do great standard combos without some way to OTG.

But in Cap's specific case, though I would certainly argue that he's a very solid main character, his assist side is somewhat lacking, especially since he could easily have an OTG assist. He gets an AA assist that leaves him extremely vulnerable, a weak Charging Star that leaves him vulnerable and doesn't go very far, and a shield throw which is decent but not fantastic. It's silly to have likes of Wesker with a low-hitting, fast OTG projectile and yet leave Cap with a slow-moving average projectile instead of the OTG version.

And yeah, Chun-Li can do some killer stuff, but it's also pretty hard to pull off. XF3 Chun-Li can be an absolute nightmare, too.

• Options
    And yeah, Chun-Li can do some killer stuff, but it's also pretty hard to pull off. XF3 Chun-Li can be an absolute nightmare, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6ZsDzT6is&list=UUrlbj5alMBfET7Fq31gMSvg&feature=plcp

• Options

I think that depends on who is on your team. The characters that don't need OTG assists to do well are also the same characters that have OTG attacks on their own; hardly anybody can do great standard combos without some way to OTG.

But in Cap's specific case, though I would certainly argue that he's a very solid main character, his assist side is somewhat lacking, especially since he could easily have an OTG assist. He gets an AA assist that leaves him extremely vulnerable, a weak Charging Star that leaves him vulnerable and doesn't go very far, and a shield throw which is decent but not fantastic. It's silly to have likes of Wesker with a low-hitting, fast OTG projectile and yet leave Cap with a slow-moving average projectile instead of the OTG version.

Yeah. If I had a wish.. it would be that some characters (like cap) actually be given assists that aren't ass, rather than giving more characters otg assists. In cap's case its fine now that he's a viable point character.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited April 2012

Yeah. If I had a wish.. it would be that some characters (like cap) actually be given assists that aren't ass, rather than giving more characters otg assists. In cap's case its fine now that he's a viable point character.

I'd love to see the game changed in two ways, then see how it shakes out.

First, a relatively minor change, is make sure that (like MikeZ did with Skull Girls) all assists that make use of a normal, special, or whatever general action available as a point character, corresponds 1:1 when used as an assist. That alone buffs Cap's charging star assist, and opens up invincible DP assists, etc. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't ruin the game at all, instead it would allow more diverse assists. Also seems to be what they were going for in general with wanting strong assists, but not MvC2 style (Psylocke, Tron, CapCom, Cyke, etc.) level assists. I'd say this is also pretty reasonable all around, something the old crowd would like, the new crowd would like, and even something Capcom might not find too offensive if given the chance.

The other is a more drastic change. EVERY assist that isn't a novel, assist only move, should be tuned around tourney level assists from MvC2. Leave Haggar in his vanilla form as the Psylocke analogue, make Dante a much better 1:1 CapCom anti-air assist, let Tron have un-scaled damage again, etc. etc. Make EVERY character's assists with MvC2 tourney style assists in mind. I'd rather assists be made stronger like they were in MvC2, and if nothing else, it would likely shake things up for an assist tier. I can easily see this being something mostly only the "old guard," or whatever term you want to use, would get behind though, might not be the most popular opinion today with the new people MvC3 brought in.

Column on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Unless I'm mistaken, Chun Li can still do that upper-screen exchange+infinite toe tap thing (not enough time in a game to make it worthwhile, though) and has a semi-infinite in the corner with XF2+ with her SBK and something else.

I used to rock Chun in vanilla for her lightning legs assist as it could beat out Tron assist in most cases.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Doesn't chun assist cause horrible damage scaling on hit though?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Doesn't chun assist cause horrible damage scaling on hit though?

Like anything else in this game that hits multiple times yes.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    They really should've made some special cases for damage scaling and repeated hits like those lightning kicks; Chun-li's kicks really should not hurt the damage scaling of a combo as much as they do, especially since there are plenty of combos which can hold opponents longer, are more useful, and do more damage.

• Options
    I think this gets back to our earlier conversations about why OGs loved marvel 2 so much... other random characters were viable just because they had great assists. Doesn't seem to be the case in marvel 3 once ultimate came out since it nerfed haggar and tron assists.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think this gets back to our earlier conversations about why OGs loved marvel 2 so much... other random characters were viable just because they had great assists. Doesn't seem to be the case in marvel 3 once ultimate came out since it nerfed haggar and tron assists.

Not trying to piggyback on this, but this is exactly what puts me off the game sometimes. Why even both looking through a nearly 50 strong roster for the right assist on a niche character, when Doom is right there. And he's not hard to play, not if you put some practice into it. Haggar took a hard hit but he's still finding places in the odd team here and there. In my (brief) online escapades with Ultimate I come across a Haggar maybe one in a dozen matches. Tron I haven't seen since the jump to Ultimate. But a lot of those niché characters get so overlooked because there are characters that can do what they do, do it better, and do more at the same time. Why take Iron Man when you can take Doom, and it's super disappointing.

Some days I wish I was interested in fighting games a decade ago and had given Marvel 2 a shot. it's still on XBLA but I don't think it'd be quite the same.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Its tough to balance a fighting game with this many cast members. Its just a reality.

Also fuck doom.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Why take Iron Man when you can take Doom, and it's super disappointing.
    what do you know about iron man, dunxco

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why take Iron Man when you can take Doom, and it's super disappointing.
    what do you know about iron man, dunxco

Nowhere near as much as I should.

I have seen things. Amazing things. Not just combo videos in the training rooms. Things that only someone who poured a buttload of time into learning Iron Man could do. He strikes me as a character who will flounder a lot unless you really learn the ins and outs of him.

I couldn't tell you what Iron Man can do that Doom can't, or what Iron Man can do better than Doom. I can only relay my experience: Iron Man has a beam assist. Doom has a beam assist. I see Doom a hell of a lot more than Iron Man.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I haven't played enough Ranked Matches to for this to mean anything just wanted to show off the output of my reports. Feedback appreciated regarding formatting, size, whatever.
    data411.png

Luncheon Loaf on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Vergil is damn good actually.

I agree this game is as frustrating as it is fun, but my fun factor has gone up since I stopped giving a shit and instead just treat it like kusoro does. As long as you don't take it seriously and roll your eyes at the GRRRR MUST WIN try hards it gets way more enjoyable.

Ghost Rider is back baby and he's coming for your soul even if he does kinda suck!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I couldn't tell you what Iron Man can do that Doom can't, or what Iron Man can do better than Doom. I can only relay my experience: Iron Man has a beam assist. Doom has a beam assist. I see Doom a hell of a lot more than Iron Man.

I tried to get good with him. He's probably my favorite comic book character. The billionth time I whiffed S after crouching M I gave up. :P

• Options

Iron Man can do stupidly long combos, where the intent was likely to mimic Stark in MvC2 (off of practically any fucking hit, you could be put into one of his infinites), however they're all easy as shit to mess up, harder to get started due to his normals, don't build as much meter as other other extended combos, do as much damage as other extended combos, or (insert issue X here), etc.

Stark is pretty much one of the best examples of "Hey guys, look at all this crazy shit I can do! Just ignore the other characters that do it all better, for less time investment, less execution, etc. etc."

• Options
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I agree this game is as frustrating as it is fun, but my fun factor has gone up since I stopped giving a shit and instead just treat it like kusoro does. As long as you don't take it seriously and roll your eyes at the GRRRR MUST WIN try hards it gets way more enjoyable.

Ghost Rider is back baby and he's coming for your soul even if he does kinda suck!

Player matches are where it's at. It's a LOT easier to get frustrated from losing a ranked match because that was your only shot. You don't get a chance at a rematch. Playing extended sets make those matches where you get obliterated pretty inconsequential.

Interesting stuff Loaf. It'll be neat to see how that changes with more data. I don't play ranked much anymore but if I do, I'll try to keep track of that stuff.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Oh, and if anyone wants to contribute to the dataset for my character usage report here are the columns:
    GamerTag,Point,2nd,Anchor,Ranked?,Rank

I don't need GamerTag, I was just keeping track of it for my own benefit. Ranked needs to be either a y or an n .

• Options
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Player matches are where it's at. It's a LOT easier to get frustrated from losing a ranked match because that was your only shot. You don't get a chance at a rematch. Playing extended sets make those matches where you get obliterated pretty inconsequential.

Interesting stuff Loaf. It'll be neat to see how that changes with more data. I don't play ranked much anymore but if I do, I'll try to keep track of that stuff.

We can track unranked as well. Just put n in the Ranked? column for me. you don't necessarily need to note the person's rank either. I'd say don't keep track of each match individually if they use the same characters.

Oh, and I'm not sure whether it will be statistically significant, but if you want to denote whether you're getting the data from 360 or PS3, we can track that too.

Luncheon Loaf on
  • Options

I tried to get good with him. He's probably my favorite comic book character. The billionth time I whiffed S after crouching M I gave up. :P
    you're not supposed to use iron mans launcher

iron man is better at air combat, he can dash cancel his j.H into a full combo if he hits someone in the air, whereas doom can hope to be in range for foot dive, or...

iron man has an otg assist, and repulsor blast which is good as well, for get off me/lockdown/anti air. they both have good assists.

iron man is harder to play, yeah. but he just cant really be compared to doom, since he doesn't trijump at all, but has a better ADD for instant overheads with an assist out. iron man is less of a face roll character, but he has tools doom doesn't if you plan it out and know how to play him

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So what are the properties of Akuma's raging demon? Is it fully invincible from start to finish? Does it have 0-frame startup close-range?

I'm also curious how many frames I have to link an air S after a corner air combo into air tatsu xx fireball hyper. The recovery frames on that hyper are deceptive and I keep doing it a little late. I've managed to land it a couple times in online matches though.

I'm liking Akuma as my anchor though. I feel much less gimmicky than when I use Strider as my anchor, though there are some times where vajra would be more useful than tatsu so I'll still keep him in my back pocket.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    So what are the properties of Akuma's raging demon? Is it fully invincible from start to finish? Does it have 0-frame startup close-range?

I'm also curious how many frames I have to link an air S after a corner air combo into air tatsu xx fireball hyper. The recovery frames on that hyper are deceptive and I keep doing it a little late. I've managed to land it a couple times in online matches though.

I'm liking Akuma as my anchor though. I feel much less gimmicky than when I use Strider as my anchor, though there are some times where vajra would be more useful than tatsu so I'll still keep him in my back pocket.

I don't know the frame data, except that he doesn't have a collision box for the first 10 frames or so. A friend tried to catch me with it, so I responded in kind, and we zoomed right past each other.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aaa, I keep swaying on whether to get this or not. Can't decide on Vita or PS3 version. Anyone got a swing vote for me? :P

Oh brilliant