As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gripes aside, what's one specific thing YOU plan to do differently next year?

Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX Archive
I see intermittent "I wish I'd done this" or "I should have done that" dispersed randomly throughout a bunch of threads, usually amidst gripes.
Its hard to filter through, so I figure a more positive thread about how people will improve their own experience might be useful.
Like, coming with more or fewer people. Different shoe type. Bringing a lunch or Camelbak. Specifying a Park&Ride to carpool from and save on parking.

Me, I'm going to mount a small whiteboard to a stick or pole of some kind to stick out of my backpack so I can announce what (3)DS game I am hosting/LFG. Also allows me to display my ingame name to people in the odd chance there's more than one of the same game in progress.

zerzhul on

• Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    I discovered that I'm not getting enough sleep. There's always some kind of partying going on in the evening and something to line up for in the morning. So, taking a page out of a previous trip to Mexico, I've decided to schedule in a siesta every afternoon. 5 hours sleep at night, 3 hours in the afternoon, extra shower & clothes means I'm always well rested, fresh & ready for the fun. 3 days of PAX is now 6 half days of PAX and I can stop drinking those 5-hour energy drinks.

GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Meet up with all the PAX people I talk to on Twitter. I only met one all weekend long! :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Seanyd781Seanyd781 Registered User regular
    Sleep more, book my OWN hotel, and no panels next year.

1. Got 3 hours sleep Thursday night due to people snoring/tossing & turning (5 ppl in the hotel room). This REALLY screwed things up for me on Friday, I left the expo hall around 4:00 to take a nap but still never fully recovered the entire weekend.

2. At one point, 7 people were expected to stay in the hotel room with me which only had 2 beds. 5 was bad enough, doing things my way next year.

3. Avoiding panels, unless they are after Expo Hall hours. Missed out on the final 4 hours of PAX sitting in line for the Gearbox panel, great panel but too much time between waiting & the panel itself.

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    Seanyd781 wrote: »
    Sleep more, book my OWN hotel, and no panels next year.

1. Got 3 hours sleep Thursday night due to people snoring/tossing & turning (5 ppl in the hotel room). This REALLY screwed things up for me on Friday, I left the expo hall around 4:00 to take a nap but still never fully recovered the entire weekend.

That is why you pack ear plugs (and possibly a sleeping mask). I fall asleep with isolating earbuds so I can't hear everyone sleeping and they can't hear what I'm listening to.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Make sure to take pictures with the people I wish I had taken pictures with.

Also, the first day I really messed up because I didn't understand how the line system worked and because of that missed both the PA Q&A and Rooster Teeth panel on Friday. I'll not make the same mistake again.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • agony42agony42 Registered User regular
    1) I didn't realize the convention center was still open after the expo hall closed, so there will be lots of night time/late-night board games/D&D/card games for me next year! Maybe some console freeplay too. :D

2) I didn't find out about the free "paint a miniature" area in the tabletop section until Sunday afternoon, so next year I plan on doing that. I take forever painting so doing it last-minute Sunday afternoon before the drive home was out.

3) Actually score a swag bag. By the time we got there on Saturday, we were told they were out of swag bags. :(

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Plan. Next year I'm bringing my son for the whole weekend for a "men's weekend" - he'll be 8. I think pacing will be vital so I'm going to really take the time to put together an itinerary for each day to ensure we play enough board games/hit enough panels to give him rest at the right times to keep him going. I think I'll have to sit down and block times for each thing so we can not be dead at the end of day 1.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Do the Bar Crawl, finally after three years. Budget in the extra night hotel cost plus drinks. So I can be more social.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    My only regret is that I didn't get more pictures with my friends from the forums. I kept wanting to do group pictures but I wasn't aggressive enough to actually go through with asking people and I wish I did.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • PohTayToezPohTayToez Registered User regular
    On Sunday I figured out I could use twitter to find out when/where all the cool swag was being handed out and special events the booths were running. Once I started that I got about a dozen shirts, plus all kinds of other cool swag within a couple of hours. Next time I'll be monitoring twitter from day one.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'd like to try to actually meet forum people. I'm not super outgoing, so i feel kinda weird seeking people out to meet. But i want to get over that. :)

Oh and also take better pictures. This year i had a new camera and i screwed some things up. Fixing that next year...well and at Prime as well.

• auspexauspex Skullcrusher MountainRegistered User regular
    Bring business cards with my contact info to hand out to new friends!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Actually play Tabletop games. I tell myself every year that THIS will be the one I play more tabletop games at (also finally learn how to play D&D) but I never manage it. Maybe Prime I'll finally accomplish that. :/

Though, I guess Cards Against Humanity sort of counts, but it's not what I meant going in! :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Next time, I plan to:

1. Take more pictures.
    2. Not oversleep and miss the train home.
    3. Find a game of D&D. I found the learn D&D queue at the WotC booth too late on Friday. Saturday the queues seemed to be gone (or I just have a horrible sense of direction), and Sunday I was too busy.
    4. Meet/talk to/play games with more people
    5. Maybe be an enforcer?!?!?

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Actually play Tabletop games. I tell myself every year that THIS will be the one I play more tabletop games at (also finally learn how to play D&D) but I never manage it. Maybe Prime I'll finally accomplish that. :/

Though, I guess Cards Against Humanity sort of counts, but it's not what I meant going in! :p

Dude, last Prime was my fourth PAX, and I've said the exact same thing every year. I wonder how hard it would be to find someone willing to DM a newbie game of D&D.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    jonxp wrote: »

Dude, last Prime was my fourth PAX, and I've said the exact same thing every year. I wonder how hard it would be to find someone willing to DM a newbie game of D&D.
    They actually had a queue for new players to learn at the Wizards booth down in tabletop. Unfortunately, I missed it =(

1tLJUH2O.png
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular

There is the WoTC Learn to Play which I did, but I am sure you could probably find someone who is willing to do so otherwise. Kiashien was nice enough to DM a Shadowrun game for us noobs. :P

As for what would I do different:

1) I would stay closer to the convention center. I was in Jamaica Plain which was an easy commute, but still took about 25 minutes and I was always paranoid about getting out too late and missing the last train.

2) As someone stated above, I'd like to try and meet more forum peeps. Guess eventually I'll have to get over my shyness.

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    gespo89 wrote: »

They actually had a queue for new players to learn at the Wizards booth down in tabletop. Unfortunately, I missed it =(

There was also a dude sitting in the Tabletop Freeplay area who would run newbies through D&D. When one game was over, he would just stand up and hold the Players Guide up in the air.

After the first PAX East I actually tried to suggest to FatherFletch a computerized LFG system for the TT area. I still think about it from time to time (especially right before/after PAX). Basically it would be a little server with some backend magick. You could connect to it via your smartphone/tablet/computer - and ideally have a thin client or two at the TT Library in the event of total wireless meltdown - to see what people were playing. You could post a LFG or LFP, browse other games that were waiting on people, etc.

I have the opposite problem of a lot of you guys. I end up spending the whole day between Tabletop and BYOC and barely do/see anything in the expo hall. It just seems a lot more rewarding, since I don't have to wait in lines for anything, and even when I do (3 hour wait for D&D Next what) I play games in line for other games.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    flatline wrote: »

There was also a dude sitting in the Tabletop Freeplay area who would run newbies through D&D. When one game was over, he would just stand up and hold the Players Guide up in the air.

After the first PAX East I actually tried to suggest to FatherFletch a computerized LFG system for the TT area. I still think about it from time to time (especially right before/after PAX). Basically it would be a little server with some backend magick. You could connect to it via your smartphone/tablet/computer - and ideally have a thin client or two at the TT Library in the event of total wireless meltdown - to see what people were playing. You could post a LFG or LFP, browse other games that were waiting on people, etc.

I have the opposite problem of a lot of you guys. I end up spending the whole day between Tabletop and BYOC and barely do/see anything in the expo hall. It just seems a lot more rewarding, since I don't have to wait in lines for anything, and even when I do (3 hour wait for D&D Next what) I play games in line for other games.

Have I got good news for you! Go here: http://tweet-wall.herokuapp.com/tt then tweet something with the hashtag "#ttlfg". I've made something similar for the past few PAXes. I'm going to work on a new design for Prime so we can have the projector again.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I know a few people who have been kicking around an idea like this. Maybe it will eventually come to fruition.

Have I got good news for you! Go here: http://tweet-wall.herokuapp.com/tt then tweet something with the hashtag "#ttlfg". I've made something similar for the past few PAXes. I'm going to work on a new design for Prime so we can have the projector again.

That is pretty cool, although it is kind of literally a wall of text... is there any way to drill down in there if you are looking for a specific game or anything?

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    No, but it was meant for display on a projector. I like the drill down idea, and am formulating ideas.

edited April 2012
    No, but it was meant for display on a projector. I like the drill down idea, and am formulating ideas.

Yeah... the system I was storyboarding would have a "main screen" like that to be displayed via projector near the Tabletop Library, but it would also have a web interface and iOS/Android apps that could directly interface with it to query games, locations, etc. So you could make a post
    "LFM - Need 3
    Game - Arkham Horror
    Location - Tabletop Freeplay Table 37"

And you could filter your search based on games nearby (if geolocation works adequately in the BCEC) or by games with enough open slots (if there are 2 of you for example).

flatline on
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    I plan everything out to the last detail. Before this PAX was even done I was adjusting the plan for next year.

1. Try to get a spot at the Westin. It'll cost more, but it would be so much easier.
    2. Have meals ready to go in advance. Takes a bit of planning and work, but it would save time and money.
    3. Less panels, more time in the tabletop. I was there a fair bit as it was, but I tended to enjoy the games I played there more than I was into the whole panel thing. And it seems I can always see those panels later on Youtube. It's not quite the same, but it's still something.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Brew78 wrote:
    Me, I'm going to mount a small whiteboard to a stick or pole of some kind to stick out of my backpack so I can announce what (3)DS game I am hosting/LFG. Also allows me to display my ingame name to people in the odd chance there's more than one of the same game in progress.
    I said I was going to do this for East after going to Prime last year. Totally spaced on it until after I landed in Boston. I also need to take more pictures and meet more people outside my own group (although we did lug 2 newbies with us to East.) Oh, and get a room in the Westin next year.

Oh, and get a room in the Westin next year.

Didn't the Westin announce plans last year to add a whole bunch of new rooms sometime soon? This would be a welcome addition, as getting a room in the Westin PAX block is the most important (and harrowing) part of gearing up for PAX every year. I end up obsessively tracking the forums and the twitters for a couple months beforehand.

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    Take more pictures. This year I had planned to take more pictures than I did last year. I ended up taking even less. I think I only took about 15 pictures this year. And half of those were blurry because either myself or the person I was taking a picture of was drunk. :rotate:

edited April 2012

I don't know that I'd consider that a problem really. Developer booths and all that are nice, but in my mind, what really sets PAX apart is the great community and simply getting to meet and interact with the community and other gamers. I made out this whole schedule for myself of all the panels and stuff I wanted to see and skipped half of them when I found myself in the middle of a board game when the time rolled around.

Speaking of that, I think I remember you living in our area(MD) from the train thread. If you ever feel the need for more tabletop, or need something to tide you ever till next PAX, feel free to stop by some time for some games.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    Well, first con ever for me and the wife. Didn't really engage in any social events beyond a pickup game of Cards Against Humanity while in the queue for the Future of Online Games. So, maybe hitting up the Magic Mystery Tour (we saw them finishing the Freedom Trail while we were on the way to the USS Constitution).

Also, while I saw a great selection of games and saw a few panels, what I didn't get a chance to do was play any tabletop games. Not a sniff of Munchkin, not a whiff of D&D.

Plus, sleep. Need more sleep the day before leaving as the 12hr drive back was fraught with tiredness.

tl;dr : Social Events, Tabletop, Pre-Travel Sleep.

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Things I'd do different:

1. Westin. Don't get me wrong, the Omni Parker was nice, but I'd rather be closer to the con next year for one main reason: swag drop off. I had to leave Friday and Saturday because my backpack was full both days [partially my fault because i also stuffed my coat inside when it was too hot], and yeah, the shuttles helped, but that time away from the con is time lost where I could've been queued for one of those Triple-AAA games I didn't play.

2. Get to know more people before going. I got to know some of the guys in my roomshare, but there were an awful lot of moments I spent awkward turtling around the floor. The people in line were nice, but I don't feel like i created any lasting friendships.

3. Bring more CASH - There were still a few vendors that didn't take cards, and i wanted to buy some stuff - but couldn't, because.. well. you know.

4. Make good on that promise to myself where i was going to bring snacks and drinks to the con - I fell victim to that $6 piece of pizza, and 2 of those $3.50 vending machine bottles of soda... that's $13 i could've saved right there, plus, snacks would prevent me from escaping and going away for food and losing more time [see 1.]

5. Party. Seems like i missed out on a lot during the Friday night parties.

6. Never, ever, EVER book a flight leaving Boston at 7:00am ever again. Almost missed my flight.. le sigh.

7. Don't waste my money on that damn week pass for the T next time - I rode it all of twice. $11 saved if i had just paid for the 2 rides.

8. Cabs are a no-no. While I only took 2, I should've avoided the first one and saved $10. While the cab ride Monday was inevitable, I should've walked back to the hotel from the gaming night at the Westin.

9. Actually bring my phone charger next time, instead of fucking up and buying one in Boston. ouch.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    1. Stay in the Westin. The Renaissance Waterfront was great, but it would be even more convenient to be right in the thick of things. Plus it's cheaper.
    2. Don't cosplay. It made me tired, stressed, and in pain. I had fun, but not enough that it was worth it.
    3. Spend more time in the expo hall. I saw some great panels, but I didn't get to spend any time in the expo hall until Saturday, by which point I'd missed out on a lot of awesome swag. It turned out that the panels were all filmed anyway, so I could've just watched them later.
    4. More tabletop. I didn't get to do any at all!
    5. Hit the PC Freeplay area. Despite my desire to demo Diablo III, I never did make it.
    6. Stay the extra night. The 11-hour drive overnight on Sunday was torture.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    I have attended two PAX Easts and I have always traveled to Boston with friends and mostly spend my time with them getting into random crap. We have tended toward whoring ourselves out for free crap on the expo floor, this year I did a bit less of that and a bit more BYOC time since I did that for the first time. I didn't even step foot in the table top area this year. Last year I did a beginner D&D game, and one of the people at that table now works at my company (though I wasn't involved in his hiring, just a hilarious coincidence).

For me, I'd have to say I'd like to do some freeplay tabletop stuff, even if I have no idea what I am doing. Socialize a bit more outside of my group, not to their exclusion, I think it would be cool if we all met new friends at PAX. I'm still waffling on doing BYOC next year, mostly because hauling my PC to the train station, to the hotel, to BCEC (these last two being on the T) and back was not my favorite experience, and I barely played any games anyway.

• ParallelParallel Registered User regular
    Man up and join in some demos in Tabletop or just join in some games with strangers. I think that's the only thing I'd really change!

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Didn't the Westin announce plans last year to add a whole bunch of new rooms sometime soon? This would be a welcome addition, as getting a room in the Westin PAX block is the most important (and harrowing) part of gearing up for PAX every year. I end up obsessively tracking the forums and the twitters for a couple months beforehand.
    This would be most welcome if true. My friend and I lucked out and got a room at the Sheraton during our first PAX last year in Seattle, but even though we were checking regularly; we missed getting a room at the Westin/Seaport for East. Totally gonna be all over the forums like bears and honey once it feels like hotels will be going up "soon" now that we both know that the close hotels fill up within hours of the block being released.

Traitorious on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

This would be most welcome if true. My friend and I lucked out and got a room at the Sheraton during our first PAX last year in Seattle, but even though we were checking regularly; we missed getting a room at the Westin/Seaport for East. Totally gonna be all over the forums like bears and honey once it feels like hotels will be going up "soon" now that we both know that the close hotels fill up within hours of the block being released.

There is a plan to expand the BCEC by a massive amount over the next X number of years (nobody knows what X is). This would include adding on to the Westin, doubling the size of the BCEC itself, adding a second attached hotel, and a third hotel between the westin and the seaport. These changes will likely have zero effect on us in the next few years.

zerzhul wrote: »

There is a plan to expand the BCEC by a massive amount over the next X number of years (nobody knows what X is). This would include adding on to the Westin, doubling the size of the BCEC itself, adding a second attached hotel, and a third hotel between the westin and the seaport. These changes will likely have zero effect on us in the next few years.

Yeah I knew they announced plans, just couldn't recall the timeline or the magnitude.

• PorkchopPorkchop Registered User regular
    I always regret not socializing more, meeting new people, etc. I'm most likely not going to be able to do it on my own, since my timid/awkward nature doesn't allow it, so I may have to try and force myself by scheduling something, maybe. On top of this, I've never really done anything tabletop (if you don't count Pokemon card leagues in middle school ~12 years ago...) so learning some games may be a way to "get in".

Also, I need to simply ignore big-ticket games. I planned my Sunday morning around getting in line early for Borderlands 2, but it wasn't even feasible by the time I got in from the queue line. Just need to check out as many indie games as possible. Giant Bomb tends to pick out good ones during their panel--I saw 2-3 cool games on Sunday I may not have seen otherwise.

I'm debating whether checking out as many panels as I did was worth it. I waited in long lines for Giant Bomb, Major Nelson, Irrational, and Gearbox--I'd say Giant Bomb and Gearbox were 100% worth it, the others were fun as well but not as "can't miss". However, the panels were the best part of PAX for me this year, so I'll likely continue to go to the ones on top of my list.

• bottledgoosebottledgoose Sunderland, MARegistered User regular
    1) single room for me and the manbeast
    2) NOT at the Westin. Convenience to the convention hall is ALL that place has going for it, and it's not enough for the price.
    3) get a better flash for low light photography
    4) hopefully have a smartphone.
    5) messenger bag, not backpack.

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    1) Make sure not to have any plans friday morning. Last year I flew in to pax friday morning and that sucked, this year I had to drive into boston way early to pick a friend up from south station. Being able to sleep in friday would make that evening go way smoother.

2) Have a panel plan before getting there. I didnt do this either time ive been to pax and i always kick myself for it. Really love the panels and need to have a better idea about what I want to see going into it.

hLeTR.png
This discussion has been closed.