As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amazon Pre-order and Moving

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I’ve got a question:

I have placed my pre-order for the Diablo 3 Collector’s Edition through Amazon. The game comes out on May 15th, and I move into my new apartment on May 11th. What billing address should I use?
The problem is that if I leave it as my current address and they bill me on the 11th or 12th then it will come up as wrong. And if I change my billing address to my new place and they bill me on the 10th or sooner then it will come up as wrong again.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

urahonky on

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Can you send to a friend's house as a gift?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Can you send to a friend's house as a gift?

I think the shipping address will be fine. It's the billing address that's going to bite me in the butt. :(

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    You could just wait till the payment clears to update your billing address with the CC company. I recently moved and still have my billing address listed as my old address but I get everything shipped to my current one.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Email Amazon support. Or just don't change your billing address until Amazon charges you.

Both good ideas. I'll email them and see what they say. Then I'll have to convince my wife to NOT change the billing address until we get charged for the game.

edited April 2012
    Further, I'd like to inform you that there's no need for concern; however, your billing address is only used as point of contact if we're unable to process your order and we can't reach you via e-mail or phone. There won't be any bill associated with this order.

That is the email response from Amazon. I'm not sure if that clears it up for me or not!

urahonky on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Amazon doesn't charge you until the item actually ships for a preorder. Assuming you have release date delivery on this one, they should end up charging you on the 14th of May.

Ketar on
    Ketar wrote: »
    Amazon doesn't charge you until the item actually ships for a preorder. Assuming you have release date delivery on this one, they should end up charging you on the 14th of May.

I'll change it to the new address then and hopefully stop worrying about it. :P

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Could you cancel, buy an Amazon gift card, and then re-pre-order?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Further, I'd like to inform you that there's no need for concern; however, your billing address is only used as point of contact if we're unable to process your order and we can't reach you via e-mail or phone. There won't be any bill associated with this order.

That is the email response from Amazon. I'm not sure if that clears it up for me or not!

That's bullshit; I've had my card refuse charges before from Amazon when my billing address was off by one digit.

edited April 2012
    That is a somewhat odd statement, since billing addresses are often used for verification of your credit card information*. Though there may be some pattern that takes that urahonky doesn't fall under.

* Though they're not necessary.

admanb on
    Could you cancel, buy an Amazon gift card, and then re-pre-order?

It's the Diablo 3 Collector's Edition. I'm not sure if I want to risk canceling and rebuying. :P

• darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    I'm surprised they said that. However maybe they process cards differently? I know that at work when I'm processing a client's credit card, it won't go through if the billing address I'm inputting doesn't match what their card carrier has on file.

darqness wrote: »
    I'm surprised they said that. However maybe they process cards differently? I know that at work when I'm processing a client's credit card, it won't go through if the billing address I'm inputting doesn't match what their card carrier has on file.

Speaking as someone who has worked with credit card processing software, it is completely possible to process cards without using a billing address. The use of a billing address is optional, but it does protect the seller from getting their income retracted due to fraudulent charges.

I'll see if my wife will let me keep the address at my current place until the charge goes through then we'll switch it. I feel like that's the safest bet here.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll see if my wife will let me keep the address at my current place until the charge goes through then we'll switch it. I feel like that's the safest bet here.

There's really no reason at all not to wait if you have your bills coming through online banking (which I personally do, as do a lot of people). The bank won't care from my own experience (California > Washington).

Essee on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular

There is no need to worry about this. My billing address and mailing address on Amazon are COMPLETELY different. There's no reason to change anything; simply update where you are having the package shipped to.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »

There is no need to worry about this. My billing address and mailing address on Amazon are COMPLETELY different. There's no reason to change anything; simply update where you are having the package shipped to.

But is the billing address on your credit card the same as the address set for the billing address on Amazon? That's the problem here. My wife is always on top of things and will want to get the CC address changed to the new address the DAY we move into our new place. So if they cross check the address it could come up as different.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it shouldn't be an issue. my guess is when they run the card, it will come up with a billing address independent of the one entered on amazon. assuming that gets changed with the cc company and matches the shipping address to your new place, it shouldn't spit out an error

camo_sig.png
    Well that's the problem is that I don't know when they will run the credit card.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i am saying it shouldn't matter. it either matches the card or it matches the one you put in

camo_sig.png